Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Of Zelda and Link, which will you main?
Zelda
Link
View Results

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Necrodancer chat: is there any downside to janitoring out all but the most powerful items? e.g. ditching all food but the meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It doesn't prepare you for the real game (all zones mode). But that's it.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I just realized Cadence has unlimited shovel durability after several playthroughs.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

The spear trivializes a lot of enemies; I got it early on in my first run and didn't have to learn how to fight a lot of monsters properly. I had to learn really quickly on subsequent runs where I didn't get the spear so easily :v:

Yeah, I don't begrudge anyone for loving the spear, but after using it for a bit I switched off because it just trivializes at least half of the enemies. Instead of moving with their patterns you just poke poke poke anything that comes near you

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

are there any randomized seeds that don't contain a basic weapon type?

ie can you find a no spears map?

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
I’m pretty disappointed there has been not ONE ‘there is no half A-press’ joke after all that bow discussion.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
Soooo it’s taken me an embarrassingly long time to realize this but that gerudo playing the organ is definitely Teenage Ganondorf, right? The sleeping gerudo outside tells you she’s guarding their prince, he’s got some cryptic-rear end dialog, and Ganon in the final boss battle is also playing an organ.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ21RtcpakQ
:eyepop:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Just beat my first run, game is good!

Did anyone else take forever on the final fight because the hearts over the iceblocks made it look like you were damaging the character inside the block? I spent a while avoiding them and trying to work out other ways to get them out before I finally decided to go for it and attack them.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Alright game'rs, solve this one.

https://twitter.com/bombastique/status/1142937384557801472

Every item but the glove available, nothing in the dirt.

e: figured it out. Bomb to the side knocks the half-block down.

So as to not double-post, finished my first single character permadeath run. It's a little lame that Cadence and Zelda still show up for the Ganon fight. :smith: To echo what's already been said, once you have a bottle, the lute, and a witch's house warp, the challenge is basically done since there aren't any real rupee money sinks and unless you're speedrunning, you wanna go thoroughly and acquire every purple and blue chest available.

Also, having diamonds or rupees in a chest should be a drat crime. More items, Octavo mode, and a second quest please BYGames.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 24, 2019

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
There's a 1.0.1 patch out for this now. Anyone have any ideas what that changed?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Ok I'm 13 hours into necrodancer and I finally beat baby all zones mode (Nocturna).

I've beaten individual 1-5 with Cadence and individual 1-5 with Melody and I'm so far off with being competent enough to Aria anything. I guess the next thing to do is play some of the other characters first? Kind of a bummer the story goes straight from melody to aria. Necrodancer's gameplay is absolutely phenomenal, it's a shame 80% of people who finish zone 1 dont end up finishing zone 4.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 29, 2019

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I'm so much worse at Necrodancer than Cadence of Hyrule. Between these games and Mario Maker 2, the Switch has become my favorite system again.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is there a way to just find out where an item would be? I'm at the end of the game and the only item I'm missing is the Roc's Feather, but as near as I can tell I found all the blue and purple chests on the map.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is there a way to just find out where an item would be? I'm at the end of the game and the only item I'm missing is the Roc's Feather, but as near as I can tell I found all the blue and purple chests on the map.

Start checking all of the caves, there are some items in there that aren't on the map.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

iirc Roc's Feather is in the Death Mountain region in a cave, somewhere on a tile left of the dungeon I think?

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

I'm pretty sure not every run contains 100% of items, but not 100% sure. They're definitely not in the same place between two runs though.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

That makes sense. I was thinking that the story items were set but I didn't think that through too much :downs:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That kinda stinks. I mean, I barely used any of the stuff I did find, but having that one empty spot just bugs me.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013
I’m pretty sure you can always 100% the game, but the map is really not adequate towards that

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
How is Cadence of Hyrule being received in Japan? favorably?

it's on my list of stuff to get when I get a switch, but I'm also curious how it's doing saleswise in general, and how it's faring outside of the US.

I figured it would have a robust soundtrack, but over five hours of music end-to-end is a little ridiculous(this is not a complaint).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It was number one most downloaded: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/06/cadence_of_hyrule_was_the_most_downloaded_game_on_switch_last_week_in_japan

To be honest? Cadence was a sweet idea with great graphics and the zelda sprites are hilarious (especially the way she flips from super serious on the normal screen to ecstatic when she gets an item) but jeez once you play necrodancer it's hard to go back. It got me into Necrodancer so I like the game, but Necrodancer is just all of Cadence's weird systems implemented in a way that makes perfect sense.

But Necrodancer has a horrendously painful learning curve and playing cadence really helps with it. So I hope it gets more players interested!

EDIT: after 20 hours i just got the deep blues pun.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 3, 2019

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

No Wave posted:

It was number one most downloaded: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/06/cadence_of_hyrule_was_the_most_downloaded_game_on_switch_last_week_in_japan

To be honest? Cadence was a sweet idea with great graphics and the zelda sprites are hilarious (especially the way she flips from super serious on the normal screen to ecstatic when she gets an item) but jeez once you play necrodancer it's hard to go back. It got me into Necrodancer so I like the game, but Necrodancer is just all of Cadence's weird systems implemented in a way that makes perfect sense.

But Necrodancer has a horrendously painful learning curve and playing cadence really helps with it. So I hope it gets more players interested!

EDIT: after 20 hours i just got the deep blues pun.

They're can both be good! Necrodancer was a roguelike through and through. Brutally hard, limited resources, you know when you die it's your own fault for not being better. Cadence is a fun zelda romp with rhythm-turn based mechanics. It's got the shell of a roguelike without the punishing nature. A fun adventure that takes the zelda formula and plugs it into a brand new equation. I think it has potential to be a lot more but I'm very happy with the product and what I paid for it.

In fact, I think Cadence really nailed the feeling of every zelda game. The first section, where you're a three-heart junksword chump with no special powers is brutal and scary. You rack up a few hearts and get a better weapon and you're pretty much out of danger and you just have fun with the rest of the game.

It's a zelda game in a Necrodancer suit, not the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I hope Necrodancer goes hogwild with other properties. Mario Necrodancer? Final Fantasy Necrodancer? Pillars of Eternity Necrodancer? yes please.