Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
Problem description: I just got my Windows 7 computer at work upgraded to a Windows 10 PC. We do all of our accounting through Quickbooks on a remote desktop connection. I do a lot of rapid alt-tabbing between screens (spreadsheets mostly) over to the remote desktop in order to enter data. On the Windows 7 PC, I could alt-tab seamlessly into the remote desktop, and continue typing wherever my cursor had been when I last had that window selected. Now, for whatever reason, the first input when I tab into the remote desktop always attempts to select an option from the "File" menu. Might seem like a minor thing but it's really affecting my workflow and causing a lot of mistakes when making inputs. Also perhaps worth noting that when I tab back FROM the remote desktop to something on my computer, the cursor does pick up where I left it, as I want it to, with no input issues.

Attempted fixes: Tried to change focus settings, keyboard settings, and some settings both within the server we're remotely connecting to and on the new desktop

Recent changes: See above - upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

--

Operating system: My desktop: Windows 10 pro; remote desktop is Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard

System specs: Dell Optiplex 3060; server is a PowerEdge T110 II

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
Update: It seems that I've identified the root problem, which is that the remote desktop window is registering the alt press (which is activating the Quickbooks menu bar) even when it isn't the active window. Trying to figure out whether that can be remapped or otherwise fixed.

Edit: I've messed with the alt+tab behavior in the RDP settings but it didn't fix it - what appears to be happening is that the remote desktop is seeing the alt press when I tab AWAY from it, but not the subsequent tab press which switches windows, so it registers it as a lone alt press.

a false fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 13, 2019