Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

We’re just a few short weeks away from the greatest fighting tournament known to man, the G1 Climax 2019! This year’s contest is more stacked than ever before and with so many new fans finding their way to NJPW I thought it would be the perfect time to get a prediction contest going. Show off your insider knowledge and flex those fantasy booker muscles as we all lay down some hot fresh scoops!

Rules of the G1

• The G1 is a round-robin tournament featuring the 20 best heavyweights in NJPW. Wrestlers are split into two blocks of ten, every wrestler faces every other wrestler in his block and the two block winners then meet in the final to determine the winner.
  • Matches are contested under a 30-minute time limit except for the final which is one fall to a finish.
  • In block matches wrestlers score two points for every win or one point for a time-limit draw. Double DQs and count-outs are treated as a loss for both parties.
  • In the event of a tie in points at the top of a block after all matches are complete the block winner will be decided based on head-to-head results between all wrestlers involved in the tie.
  • The final winner of the G1 Climax earns a shot at the IWGP Heavyweight champion in the Tokyo Dome at Wrestle Kingdom, although they will need to defend this title shot against anyone who beat them over the course of the tournament.

Rules of the G1 Prediction Game
All entries are to be made via Google Sheets. To enter, follow this link for a template. Copy/paste this into your own spreadsheet program of choice, fill out your predictions then post a screenshot in this thread. Entries to the contest will be closed 24 hours before the start of Night 1. Points will be scored as follows:

• Correctly predicting a winner of a block match: 2 points
  • Incorrectly predicting a winner of a block match: 0 points
  • Correctly predicting a draw in a block match: 8 points
  • Incorrectly predicting a draw in a block match: -8 points
  • Correctly predicting a wrestler’s final points total: 5 points
  • Correctly predicting a block winner: 10 points
  • Correctly predicting the winner of the G1 Climax: 20 points

Important Note

The G1 is a lot of wrestling and I do mean a lot. It airs in the mornings in the UK when I'm normally at work. This means I'm not going to be watching all shows live and I'm not spoiling myself on results for this thread. Points will be updated after every show but only as and when I get to watch them which will not be straight away and may not be within the first 24 hours. Please be patient if this occurs.

So come on everybody as we look forward to an unforgettable month of wrestling. Let’s work hard, have fun and show our FIGHTING SPIRITU!!!~

Rarity fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've just realised that there is the possibility two goons finish up on equal points so...

Tiebreaker Rule

As a tiebreaker, when submitting your predictions please also tell me how many G1 matches will receive enough votes to be declared MOTYCs in the forum thread?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Tiebreaker: I think it's going to hit a fever pitch this year. Put me down for 30 MOTYCs. IN NEW JAPAN PRO WRESTLING WE GO BIG OR WE GO HOME

I adjusted my previous sheet a bit after seeing the schedules. I think Fale will play spoiler for SANADA right at the end, after he and Okada went to a draw. This allows Ibushi to pick up the win, with briefcase defenses against KENTA and Ospreay and a title defense for Okada against ZSJ, because I think those will be cool as hell matches to have again. In B Block Greasy Kiwi Knife Pervert "Switchblade" Jay White will greasily slide his way to the top of the block by holding the tiebreaker over perennial midcarder Tetsuya Naito. Elsewhere, Shingo, Cobb, Ishii, and Moxley all beat the piss out of each other and we get various NEVER and US title matches out of the deal. Yano beats Moxley because as we know from his podcast interviews, goofy bullshit is his weakness. Goto continues to be irrelevant.

This will be a very good professional wrestling tournament.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

I am entering, safe in the knowledge that I have no idea what I am doing.

For the Tiebreaker, let's go with 16 MOTYC

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

They will do it again. I don't care how gross you think it is: they will do it again. This is New Japan, the company that thought it was a good idea to renew Michael Elgin's contract for another year after #FuckMichaelElgin happened. They don't give a poo poo that folks thought it was gross. It will happen again.

24 MOTYCs.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I don't know how Gedo does it

It's Ibushi's time. The man's only got a few more years in his prime, probably less considering all the neck bumps, now is the time for him to get the spotlight his career deserves. I toyed with Ibushi/Okada going to a draw and Ibushi being ahead on points but that's exactly what they did with Okada/Tana last year. Okada spends the autumn in title defences against EVIL and Tana while Ibushi puts the briefcase up against ZSJ and SANADA. Tana is in with a shot on the final night of block action thanks to head-to-head victories over both men but Ospreay acts as spoiler. Ospreay also gets a win over ZSJ to set a huge British Heavyweight title match at Royal Quest. KENTA gets a big win over Tana so he can close the show on Night 3 same and SANADA gets to do his favourite town shtick on Night 11. Overall I wanted to keep scores fairly even because the block is so stacked, that way it establishes that all these guys are so close in ability.

Over on B block I originally had Naito down to win and in fact take the whole G1. What put me off was if he does he'll be so busy defending the briefcase he wouldn't be able to defend the IC title. So instead Naito stays in the midcard and White continues to be a dick by winning the block after beating Naito on the final night to tie scores and take the head-to-head. This also sets up a first ever match between Ibushi and White in the final with the clearest face/heel dynamic ever. White will later go after the IC belt as will Goto because that's something new and different for Naito to do. In other championship news Juice sets up his rematch with Moxley while Ishii preps for a couple of 'yes loving please' matches with Cobb and Shingo. Taichi doesn't really come out of the G1 with anything but being in the tournament is his reward as he puts on a bunch of amazing matches to fully establish him as a workrate guy. And yes, you spotted it. I went for the ultimate Yano troll victory over Switchblade :laugh:

Your winner and challenger for the Tokyo Dome, KOTA IBUSHI!

As for the tiebreaker there will be 43 MOTYCs because a few of the ones I counted as potentials won't end up making it. But still, 43 :stare:

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

let's go Naito

For the Tiebreaker, I'll say 27 MOTYC

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

A Block is the classic Gedo several-way tie with lots of people playing spoiler on the very last night. Five people could win: ZSJ, Ospreay, SANADA, Okada, and Ibushi.

Coming into the A Block finals, nearly everyone is at 10 points except for SANADA (with 12), who only has to get past Fale to secure his spot (he can't). SANADA does FINALLY beat Okada though, and would have won the G1 except Okada can't take down Ibushi to give SANADA the win.

ZSJ has a fun night coming into the finals. He's beaten Okada and if Okada beats Ibushi, and ZSJ beats KENTA, ZSJ wins the G1 (because he took out SANADA). But ZSJ gets beat by KENTA, setting up a title bout probably. He gets scuffled off early in the night and vows a terrible octopus revenge.

Ospreay has a killer opening in the tournament, taking down Okada and Ibushi, but falters as time goes on (killing himself to win those early matches). He manages a bit of a comeback, but falls to an ailing Tanahashi on the last night, crushing his chance of winning the G1.

Okada has a hot streak early on but loses steam as he goes on, dropping critical bouts to future contenders Ospreay, ZSJ, SANADA (yay!), and finally Ibushi.

Ibushi starts on a losing streak, only getting hot once he beats SANADA. He beats Okada to win, tied for 12 with SANADA, but beat SANADA to end his losing streak so he wins the block.

B Block is a little simpler.

Only Shingo, White, and Naito are in contention pretty much the whole time. Shingo runs roughshod over goddamn everybody because he is strong boy go smesh bang bomb kaboom. Shingo drops a loss to White halfway, and looks strong the rest of the time. But Goto, who has had a horrible tournament and is especially pissed at some losses to YTR and Taichi and the goddamn gaijin Moxley, takes out all his frustration on Shingo and spoils him.

Naito's chances are nil. Shingo beat him and they're tied for points if Naito beats White on the day of the final. But, Naito can win the G1 for Shingo--even with Shingo losing to Goto--but White beats him. There is friction: Shingo and Naito are at each other's throats. What can possibly solve this dilemma at the G1 Final? Only a Timebomb.

White wins all the time, only losing to Juice and Moxley, whatever.

Moxley loses to Juice to set up a rematch; Ishii loses to Taichi for the same reason.

Anyway, Ibushi winz!

MOTYC Contenders: 39

Edit: I can't make my image work; idk what the problem is. If anybody knows, let me know and I'll fix it. Otherwise it looks like you can still just right-click to view the image and it works fine? :confused:

Edit 2: Fixed!

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 18, 2019

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Captain Magic posted:

Edit: I can't make my image work; idk what the problem is. If anybody knows, let me know and I'll fix it. Otherwise it looks like you can still just right-click to view the image and it works fine? :confused:
Here you go, need to put i. before imgur for it to show...

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

My bracket. Not sure how sure I am of it beyond Naito/Sanada in the final and Ibushi beating Okada to set up the November title defense. Also 25 MOTYC for the G1

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 18, 2019

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Kevino07 posted:

Here you go, need to put i. before imgur for it to show...

Fixed. Thanks!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Someone post a table where one of the winners has nine draws.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've already spotted one entry where the predicted match results don't match the final predicted points so I urge everyone to double check before they post their predictions. If there are any mistakes I'll be going with whatever points your predicted results would give.

SatoshiMiwa, you might wanna look again at Okada and SANADA.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Rarity posted:

SatoshiMiwa, you might wanna look again at Okada and SANADA.

Whoops fixed

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
DISCLAIMER:
I have watched literally two NJPW shows from start to finish.

I asked myself:
"How would WWE book the G1 Climax?"

Here's a fun idea: The best wrestler in the world goes into the final night of Block A realizing he has to win to even tie for first place, but he'd be doing exactly that, tying with a guy who fought him to a draw, and not winning cleanly on points. SANADA gets bodied by Fale with the end goal in sight. I really toyed around with a scenario where both Okada and Ibushi would cleanly win A if they won their match, and then booked them to draw, the one outcome that actually kept SANADA alive, because imagine the goddamn chaos that'd cause. But I couldn't get the math to work without adding yet more draws, and as it stood, having Okada draw twice in the same tournament was already looking crazy. So in the end, I went with the exact tie.

In the past, apparently NJPW has decided these actual ties with a coin flip? Ew. Be it a coinflip or a match, SANADA should win here.

For block B, I'm pretty sold on the idea of Juice spoiling Moxley's tournament, which implies that he needs to have a tie-breaker over both Naito and White. As for Moxley's other losses, I went with Taichi, because I think it's funny, and Cobb, because, uh, guys, Jeff Cobb's winning that fight. There's some politics involved here. ROH has the established relationship with NJPW, but NJPW would be insane to not push Moxley given how hot he is right now world-wide. It also lets them build Juice as their own star if Mox's tournament is blocked entirely by his revenge. So, Cobb doesn't need to look good, or even get that many wins to placate ROH, he just needs to, specifically, beat AEW's guy. Which he will. And Mox seems like the kind of dude who'd be willing to eat that loss because 1)Business is business and 2)He can still come out looking great if he only loses his block in his last match and 3)Jeff Cobb's a stout lad with a lot of talent, and losing to him doesn't make anyone look bad.

White winds up winning because people seem to suspect he's being replaced, but he's not, and the company is definitely still behind him. This is the rude reminder.

I'll go with 22 MOTYC

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

29 motyc nominations. four matches in the tournament get ***** or higher from big dave.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Not bothering to tie breaker because i'm predicting two different draws in the A block and if I get that right I should win anyway. And the only one having Ospreay winning the whole thing for Okada v Ospreay at the Dome. If I am wrong I am waaaaaaaaay wrong.

Edit: gently caress I GOT MY MATH WRONG, lets say ZSJ over Ibushi. And it is Fale over KENTA, hence Fale's 2 points. I needed to find a way for KENTA not to win the block outright and I know Fale's winning more than one but gently caress Fale.

Lid fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 18, 2019

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

G1 HANDSOME BATTLE! :stwoon:

Ibushi wins lol, though I didn't realise until I was doing the headshot comparisons that Jay's dirtbag beard look really does it for me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 18, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lid posted:

Not bothering to tie breaker because i'm predicting two different draws in the A block and if I get that right I should win anyway. And the only one having Ospreay winning the whole thing for Okada v Ospreay at the Dome. If I am wrong I am waaaaaaaaay wrong.

You say this like they're really out there predictions but none of them are as out there as EVIL finishing on less points than Archer :colbert:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Rarity posted:

You say this like they're really out there predictions but none of them are as out there as EVIL finishing on less points than Archer :colbert:

Hey now one of them is a solo wrestler and one is only a tag team wrestler :D

Ok so in the unlikely event I get the draws right but EVIL goes on a tear and the numbers all add up weird I'm predicting 40 MOTYC. Forty.

Lid fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 18, 2019

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Not confident in these predictions at all other than the overall block winners, but gently caress it I've redone this enough times. Ibushi wins and we get Ibushi/Naito Briefcase vs IC Title at Power Struggle.

18 MOTYCs and 2 WMOTYCs

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves

Poor Goto came back for this

More importantly Naito has to beat White on the final day to advance to the finals on a tiebreak against him

Ishin fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 19, 2019

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I don't want to have to copy all my predictions over into another spreadsheet, so please accept this adapted one

Tiebreaker is 13

KoldPT fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 19, 2019

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

20 motys

lol edited because i forgot they flipped the IC to naito

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 19, 2019

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
how does Gedo do this? jfc

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Low Desert Punk posted:

its my favorite time of the year and the wrestling event i look forward to more than anything else every year.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Low Desert Punk posted:

Start with your winners and work backwards. You actually have an advantage over him because you have the schedule. I found it helpful to see what the last matches of each block were.

Then he usually has a few tropes he uses:
- older guy can’t get a win
- mega-favorite spoiled by otherwise chump
- slowburn after a losing streak
- big early wins get to a guy’s head
- early hard bouts exhaust a guy
- redemption win after long losing streak

All of these things really work well for narrative tension; Gedo is really good at what he does!

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 19, 2019

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

lol edited because i forgot they flipped the IC to naito

oops lol

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Low Desert Punk posted:

The secret of wrestling is that it's really loving easy to book. The things that make it hard are injuries and contract shenanigans/people leaving. And even then so long as you're not treating your roster like dogshit you can slot other people in.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i hope all of you are prepared to overhaul your predictions when YOSHI-HASHI takes Zack's spot

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Low Desert Punk posted:

i hope all of you are prepared to overhaul your predictions when YOSHI-HASHI takes Zack's spot

If YOSHI-HASHI takes Zack's spot then I am cancelling this contest in protest

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Rarity posted:

If YOSHI-HASHI takes Zack's spot then I am cancelling this contest in protest

Thank you for showing good sense in this stressful time.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
When is this? It's at the start of next month yeah?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Looten Plunder posted:

When is this? It's at the start of next month yeah?

First show of the tournament is July 6th from Dallas and the tour proper starts July 13th.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is it once a week with 9 fights a night? (excuse the noob questions, the only NJPW i've watch is the last 3 WKs and BSJ26/Dominion this year.)

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

Is it once a week with 9 fights a night? (excuse the noob questions, the only NJPW i've watch is the last 3 WKs and BSJ26/Dominion this year.)

Not really, it's usually one night of undercard tag matches to set up the next night's block matches, and then the other block's actual one-on-one tournament singles. Schedule varies but on average it's "once a week" for the live broadcasted shows, except packed either closely together for tournament season (so for the G1 we have shows on the 7th ,13-15, 18-20, and so on) or working a lighter schedule (like a sort of off-season).

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Looten Plunder posted:

Haha, nope! Get ready for so much good wrestling every week your head'll spin. You've got as many as four alternating A and B block shows every week with five tournament matches plus an undercard of 3-5 multiman matches (which you can safely skip) each. Here's the schedule with just the tourney matches:

7/6 A
Ospreay/Archer
EVIL/Fale
SANADA/ZSJ
Kota/KENTA
Tana/Okada

7/13 B
Juice/Shingo
Yano/Naito
Ishii/Cobb
Goto/Switchblade
Moxley/Taichi

7/14 A
Ospreay/SANADA
Okada/ZSJ
Kota/EVIL
Archer/Fale
Tana/KENTA

7/15 B
Yano/Shingo
Juice/Goto
Ishii/Switchblade
Cobb/Moxley
Naito/Taichi

7/18 A
KENTA/Archer
Okada/Fale
Tana/ZSJ
EVIL/SANADA
Kota/Ospreay

7/19 B
Juice/Cobb
Yano/Switchblade
Goto/Naito
Shingo/Taichi
Ishii/Moxley

7/20 A
ZSJ/Fale
Tana/Archer
Kota/SANADA
KENTA/EVIL
Okada/Ospreay

7/24 B
Juice/Yano
Goto/Taichi
Cobb/Switchblade
Moxley/Shingo
Ishii/Naito

7/27 A
Kota/Archer
Ospreay/Fale
EVIL/ZSJ
Tana/SANADA
Okada/KENTA

7/28 B
Juice/Ishii
Cobb/Taichi
Shingo/Switchblade
Goto/Yano
Naito/Moxley

7/30 A
Kota/Fale
Okada/Archer
Tana/EVIL
Ospreay/ZSJ
KENTA/SANADA

8/1 B
Cobb/Shingo
Juice/Naito
Ishii/Goto
Yano/Moxley
Taichi/Switchblade

8/3 A
KENTA/Fale
ZSJ/Archer
Ospreay/EVIL
Tana/Kota
Okada/SANADA

8/4 B
Ishii/Yano
Juice/Taichi
Goto/Cobb
Moxley/Switchblade
Naito/Shingo

8/7 A
SANADA/Archer
Tana/Fale
Kota/ZSJ
Ospreay/KENTA
Okada/EVIL

8/8 B
Cobb/Naito
Goto/Moxley
Juice/Switchblade
Yano/Taichi
Ishii/Shingo

8/10 A
KENTA/ZSJ
EVIL/Archer
SANADA/Fale
Ospreay/Tana
Okada/Kota

8/11 B
Ishii/Taichi
Goto/Shingo
Yano/Cobb
Juice/Moxley
Naito/Switchblade

8/12
Final (A winner vs B winner)

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

The G1 Climax.............. is a lot of wrestling. Having watched two of them in the span of about 2 months and like 6 other major NJPW shows in between, I can safely say: it loving ruled. But I also had no job or major responsibilities at the time, so I would maybe not recommend my path to everybody. That said, if you have the time necessary (about 7-8 hours a week I wager, if you just watch the Block matches) it is absolutely the best month of wrestling every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is there a prize to be won if you win?