Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Does Kawhi stay?
This poll is closed.
He stay 95 32.20%
He leave 99 33.56%
ask Uncle Dennis 57 19.32%
burn down Toronto if he doesn't 44 14.92%
Total: 295 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://imgur.com/0qkjcUW Do you guys think this would be a good new basketball for the NBA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Kibner posted:

only for cities that ain't used to throwing parades :cool:

This "cajun guy who loves parades" character is freaking me out

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

morestuff posted:

MKG hit 34% of his threes on more than half an attempt per game this year, all that hard work is finally paying off

That's the perfect anecdotal reply to anyone saying about a draft prospect "oh he can learn to shoot"

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

MKG is a special sort of broken but I think I've kinda come around on thinking that you can teach a guy to at least hit spot ups from the corners at a reasonable rate as long as their form isn't completely busted and they have decent touch.

I agree that that's the easiest shot to learn, it's set, you can only do it from one of two places, you can put it in muscle memory. But a lot of defenses almost totally deny the strongside corner. The Raptors and Warriors seemingly only got those shots in transition. It's not the great shot it was during the spurs v heat era.

The main problem with taking a guy from 29% from 3 to 36% is that it tends to take 5 years or so.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Goodwill covered the pistons, then bulls, now he's a national reporter for yahoo but he's never been more than a milquetoast "gotta give em credit" stenographer sort of reporter. Seems like he got a bad tip and didn't follow up

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Wait why is John Wall's contract so bad.

...Did I miss someone giving him a really dumb extension in the last year?

He's making 38m this year, but he hasn't been signed to an extension.
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/washington-wizards/cap/

People have talked about it like it was a fait accompli, even with the achilles tear, but I don't think the wizards are quite that dumb. Someone will sign KD for a full max despite the tear, and that will be a bad contract.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tae posted:

He literally got a max extension, yes.

That's like the fifth time I've made that mistake because of how spotrac renders in my browser. His name is half hidden and covered with text

God drat the Wizards are hosed

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

ButtWolf posted:

If r/nbastreams is down, how am I gonna watch the draft? Someone help. This is important.

Frontrowsports sometimes has that stuff, sometimes not

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

The Glumslinger posted:

SHoutout to all of the Lakers fans around the internet who spent the last few days insisting that Woj just had an agenda against th eLakers and the raw genius of Rob Pelinka would never gently caress up something so basic as keeping his capspace open and ensuring the timing of the trade made sense

That's awfully catty of you

Ammanas posted:

is it just me or is this situation basically unsustainable for the nba

i kinda like the chaos of free agency but i also like epic dynasties duking it out

super teams both rule and suck rear end at the same time

Zach Lowe and Marc Stein have talked about how traffic numbers are far higher on transaction and draft stuff than anything else, leagues ahead. People just want to know which man will be on which team.

I think the owners got too cute with their short contracts, now that 1 year bargain guy who has a break out year is gone, because you can't afford him.

James Harden seems really insecure, first about his teeth and second about his husky frame. You are young. You are gifted. You are loved. James

Jota posted:

If the Celtics renounce the rights to Rozier and Morris they can sign D'lo if Horford walks.
Do you think they would?

Dexo posted:

The truth. He wants to see behind the veil.

it's a sign that says gently caress Boston

What team is most suited for an instagram conspiracy hotep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JaLBi5gZJQ
Chingy was kicked out of the black hebrew israelites and then got a degree in astrology. I think kyrie could take that path

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
doppelpost

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

BWV posted:

MacMullan still trying to give The President Brad Stevens (who is actually more valuable than many players if you think about it) the benefit of the doubt even in a story that admits to his errors in favouring his honkey surrogate son over more deserving players.

That's a saucy characterizaiton of the thing.

Could you imagine that Stevens was bringing back Hayward because Hayward was supposed to be the long term fulcrum of the team and that his system had flourished with Hayward in the past?

Could it be that they made sure to get Hayward going because the whole league was talking about Kyrie being 100% gone this offseason, last offseason?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DeimosRising posted:

It’s like if everyone just loving HATED the Jazz or the Blazers and constantly said everything they did was awful and stupid they deserve death

It's really just Boston's ability to get half of the media playing PR for them. One good move is, DANNYS GOT ALL THE ANSWERS! WOW!
Every almost trade is, WOW, DANNY WAS REALLY GONNA DO IT, THEY JUST ASKED TOO HIGH A PRICE!

They get such reverent treatment, which provokes the dumb and deep internet Racist-Team takes, but it also provokes the more reasonable, gently caress those assholes -treatment.

Other teams get treated as if they're just not poo poo, I'd say that's the balance of the league, then you have the "these guys are stupid" teams, then you have individual treatments for the glamour teams or teams with management that are good at getting journalists on their side

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DeimosRising posted:

I don’t watch tv or read any sports stuff except what gets posted hear and deep dive analysis stuff. I hate Boston for old fashioned reasons - they beat the last good Orlando team in the playoffs. Everyone here says ESPN gives them sloppy head all the time and all I can think is why the gently caress are you watching espn

If you watch ESPN for a week or so you see why people get diaper rash over certain teams.

I don't watch ESPN but I consume NBA content all day long like a loving moron and I can't get enough

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

He only played in a handful of games last year, and the Grizzlies had no one. He shot more from three than he ever has, and made more, in those games. He still doesn't really know how to play and that's why he didn't crack the rotation. The Rockets need basketball players and he can at least space the floor for 15 minutes a game.

It's amazing how fast standards drop when you're trying to build a team with all minimum players

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

homphgomph posted:

So this is just an aside but I was trying to fiddle around with modding in some raptors in 2k, through a combination of not knowing what I'm doing and Blenders lovely interface I was ultimately unsuccessful, but I figured I'd share this

Centorraptaur. Rare. It belongs in a museum!

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Valourous conduct will be rewarded, with transfer to Utah

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

R.D. Mangles posted:

By definition, you cannot win a trade if you acqire grayson "the professor in the jordan peterson sense" allen

Grayson Allen is going to use his large hands and explosive leaping to take Memphis by storm

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

TJ McConnell, of Scots-Irish descent, baby hands
Grayson Allen, Scots-Irish, man sized hands

Who will be the better baller in 2019-20

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

euphronius posted:

Tj is half pittsburgh Italian which is powerful

The splotchy beard and knobby chin should have been a dead giveaway :dogwhistle:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Squinky v2.0 posted:

My mom texted me “cedric maxwell” an hour ago and nothing since, concerning

Mother's trespassed the time tunnel again...

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

What do you think about his statement that American players get too much too soon, and Africans &Euros are hungrier?

I hear people agreeing and people scoffing loudly about that. The people who agree are usually college affiliated and the scoffers tend to be AAU affiliated

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

Like honestly this is as clear of a sign that it's time for Chris to retire as anything.

Chris was still a top 5 pg last year, he was just hurt for the playoffs so it didn't matter. He should sit out 40 games this year so he's fresh for the playoff

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Dexo posted:

I think that's dumb as poo poo.

Look if you want to make the argument there is too much influence on Kids from shoe companies influencing their coaches and poo poo in middle and High School sure fine, the kids should just be able to get paid for their sponsorship and not have it funneled off to their AAU coach.

Luka Doncic was getting paid as a pro. Does anyone say that him making money didn't make him hungry.

Either you have it or you don't it doesn't matter where the fuuuck you come from.

I've heard some people reminiscing about the ABCD camp and the time when shoe companies were more hands on with grass roots basketball.
I've heard that kids who can get an AAU team built around them will take spots at college from more deserving players.
At the same time, the internet makes it so that guys who are overlooked and end up on mid major teams get drafted just as high as any blueblood AAU to USA bball to Duke guy.

The most extreme college guys wont stop complaining until kids have to enlist for 4 years at college before they can go pro anywhere.

I've heard smart trainers/coaches talk about players being taught completely obsolete basketball in college.

In the end Woj never says anything unless he's trying to carry water or settle a score

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/LakersInformant/status/1141063593049243648

Ohh boy

I think all these guys will take 1/2 to 1/5th of their market value so they can get scowled at and blamed by Lebron

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Is that 1 down 5 to go for atlanta?

Lockback posted:

Giannis -26.8
Bledsoe -15.6
Snell -11.5
Ilyasova -7
Wilson & Donte- 6

Cap Holds:
Middleton-19.5
Brogdan -3
Still paying Hawes and Sanders 3.8

Assume they renounce everyone else and ignoring roster space charges that's 94.2 million, but you also have roster holds that suck up another 5 million or so. Cap next year is 109.

Bucks don't have much room here, and they still need to sign Lopez with cap space or an MLE.

It would be hard to get an answer to this without talking to a real front office person, but I wonder if teams are rethinking any sort of deal that won't convey bird or early bird rights.

Would the reply be something like, "we'd like to do it, but if an agent knows we want bird rights, then he knows we think the player has a chance to break out, so he deserves more money." I don't know if that stands to scrutiny.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

I agree with Rick but that's a misleading headline. It's the very last part of the transcript

"But when you look at the guys who are available this summer, nobody's even checking for Boston. And we heard Rich Paul just like come out and say it in Sports Illustrated, like 'We don't want Anthony Davis going there, he doesn't want to be there.' And that's a tough blow because when you're trying to compete with all these other markets image matters, perception matters and how other superstar-level players view your team matters in your decision too clearly given the prevalence of all these team-up scenarios. And I think for Boston the last couple of years, basically the time that Hayward's been there, it's just lost some of its sheen. "

He's just saying "players don't want to play in boston" in a nice way. The headline blames AD, the quote is not that

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

I hope he never leaves the great lakes

He really sucks but Detroit has nothing on the wing. Nobody. This team is going to be built like the Lakers of disease and decay

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

NickRoweFillea posted:

Paul Zipser turns to a life of crime after washing out of the league

He can just sell his spare bones for bone grafts and live the lavish life. Don't worry about old Paul

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Masai... your...your...power level is equal to Kid Goku (10)

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Spacebump posted:

Reddit shutting down streams sucks and makes it impossible for me to watch like a quarter of the Mavs games. A decent amount of Mavs games get moved from Fox Sports SW to KTXA, my local cable provider doesn’t offer that network and I’m in the Mavs media market so I can’t watch those games on league pass.

I think if you go to r/nbathunder and take a link to their discord, they'll post the streams tonight, before the draffk

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
"Kevin durant achilles! What a night! There was a lot of fun at the game. It was fun to watch everyone fight (the fans). That's something I definitely look forward to in the future." -- Raptors GM Masai Ujiri

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Also pro-tip, you can get infinite boxes from your local liquor store for free. Other retailers will have other sizes and most are more than happy to let you take them.

Source: I volunteered for the local library book sale every year growing up and all the boxes were bacardi and evan williams.

My mom helps run the book sale for the local library and their M.O. is banana boxes from the supermercado. Useful because they have lids

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
TJ Warren has great touch on runners and floaters, and now he's a catch and shoot hero. He can rebound, he's good in transition, he's ideal as a scoring combo forward off the bench. You can pull him into the starting lineup if you can cover for him on defense

Tyler Johnson is just an okay 8th man

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 20, 2019

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
TJ Warren steadfastly refusing to ever pass is one of the funniest ongoing things you can watch for in an NBA game

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

The #4 pick still belongs to the Lakers right? I mean that technically. Like the Pelicans are agreeing with the Hawks that once they acquire #4 from LA they'll pass that draft choice onto Atlanta?

Yes

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

I was going to say something snide about ex-player GMs, but that's what they want. Cheapskate controlling owners hire ex players to do the day to day and play the dummy fall guy while they pull the strings and mandate cost cutting moves that hamstring the roster

Son, you ain't poo poo, I love you but you ain't poo poo

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I say yes on bol, if only for morale purposes

Dexo posted:

god, this sucks.

Why would you do this during the draft, where It won't get the full attention that it deserves.

Your avatar is great

Spoeank posted:

So I missed the draft entirely and I didnt bone up on the draft because it was just seconds for the Kings but it seems as though despite only having multiple seconds that Vlade hosed Up?

WhyteRyce you are the king of Kings please advise

I can't read his mind, but it looks like they're attempting to get more ball handling and skill. Justin James is a very thin fast sg, kyle guy is a great shooting small pg, the serb is tall but can do a few things with the ball.

Having A strategy is probably fine, we don't have enough information to say much more. I have never seen the serb and I might have only had a half glance at Justin James. We all watched Kyle Guy play fearlessly, flinging his skinny body through the gauntlet. He could be a solid backup at some point. I suppose if he shoots as well as he did in college he might be a starter.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Hey, he's a solid 9th man, he's gotta get his due :mcnabb:
:mcnabb:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
A few thorts on the draff

There was less clarity through analysis here than any draft I've followed this closely (maybe the last 3). Even stats models didn't differ that much from eyeball boards, with the exception of Brandon Clarke and maybe Culver.

Zion is a stubby tarantula, he might bash the game into submission. He has the fatal flaws of the like that have killed top 3 picks before, lack of length and shooting. He's also an injury risk.
Morant's shooting is not great and his defense might always be a minus.
Reddish is a big ball handling guard that has different gears and a few different moves. His shooting is not great.
Who are the most important players in the league? Versatile guys who can shoot and defend, you need players to create offense, lead possessions, and make things happen, they could be the same or they could be separate.
You'd think this would mean Hunter was the right pick, but he didn't really shoot threes very often, he was good on d by the eye test and bad by the stats, he's not versatile.

I'm rooting for the bad attitude and good attitude long armed athletes to make this sport even more anatomically disgusting

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

Okeke was really good value where they got him and it's not like anyone they picked was going to help them win a title this year

I'll second that. Deimos, you should try and watch his NCAA tournament games, or at least his possesions that are on youtube. He was careening around the court like a hell's angels' chopper. He looked awesome. He's small for a 4, and he's dependent on others to create for him, but he looks like the type of guy who'll make a team better, even if he's just playing 15 minutes

morestuff posted:

Hornets fans seem upset because PJ Washington is a boring pick and feels similar to Miles Bridges, but you literally can't seem to have too many smart two-way guys that can take threes and defend the forward spots. It's alway seems easy to move those guys for decent value, too, I remember the Rockets basically made a cottage industry of it for like a decade

It's not glamorous, and there can seem to be enough of them, but judging by their acquisition cost, there are not. You need them, and you need them to very good, if you want to win