Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Does Kawhi stay?
This poll is closed.
He stay 95 32.20%
He leave 99 33.56%
ask Uncle Dennis 57 19.32%
burn down Toronto if he doesn't 44 14.92%
Total: 295 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Do y'all think Wiggins ever had a realistic chance? If he was drafted by the Spurs or something, could he have ever lived up to his physical potential?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I hope the Nets sign Kyrie and Horford and pull a complete Andy Dufresne as the Celtics go down in ruins. The Billy King years qualify as a river of poo poo to me.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

OzFactor posted:

I have a harder time thinking of a team that wouldn't want Al Horford than I do thinking of good fits (outside of the fully-rebuilding teams). Denver and Utah I guess? It makes me physically uncomfortable even typing but think of how good he'd be on the Warriors.

I imagine some teams would be nervous about his age and having to pay him top dollars into his late 30s. Especially in light of Chris Paul's decline and contract. But if he could be slotted in as the final piece of a championship, it'd probably worth the chance.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm happy for him. I also just noticed he had almost as many winshares in this not even full season with the Pels as he did in 2+ with the Sixers. Oddly enough, he's probably improved enough that he'd probably be a great backup for Embiid today.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Make sure Iverson is in the meeting.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

I feel bad for Bol

He should be a Sixer. In the hood, guys literally call each other young bols.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Lockback posted:

If Wiggins is gone it means Gordon Hayward is our new 3/4.

I am in favor of the potential trade to make this happen. The C's may even have to throw in a little more to make salaries match, no?

After Kyrie, I couldn't even imagine what having a guy like Wiggins taking up a supermax slot would do to the morale of Tatum and Brown.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Lockback posted:

Nope works straight up: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y4or3qrz

And Wiggins has the rookie-max, the smallest max. He'd take up one of the 5-year slots, but you have 2 of them and and that probably isn't a big deal.

It's probably a big deal to either of Brown or Tatum who wouldn't be getting their own 5 year. Many accounts already show they've had levels of resentment towards Hayward/mgmt. for getting preference despite their superior play. Trade him for Wiggins and I could see Brown or Tatum turning into Minnesota Butler on the team.

Of course I can't imagine Ainge would ever make this trade, but crazier things have happened.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

so do you guys think that KD agrees to an eventual sign and trade?

I think he would, but it'll be tricky to find an ideal team willing to make it all work.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

BWV posted:

KD handicapping his future team to help Golden State yet again is some twisted rear end poo poo.

In a pure sign and trade, he'd be choosing the team, no?

To get to that scenario I think the hardest part is finding a team that wants him enough that is also willing to give up some assets and to wait a whole year for him to play. It's a massive financial commitment for an up and coming team and it's impossible to predict when or if he'd ever be the same again.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Shadow225 posted:

i am a super casual grizz fan trying to get less casual

i understand that ja was the correct move at 2. how should i feel about brandon clarke

My advice as a longterm Sixers fan, and more important, a fan throughout the Process era: get excited but try to keep low expectations. The draft is a total crapshoot and despite scouting and expert reports, every individual responds differently to the pressures of the league.

Clarke is supposed to be a very good athletic prospect, but who really knows for sure. Morant is going to be the guy, but it's also the toughest position in the league, so don't be surprised if he's off to a slow start, or even not starting for awhile. I'd imagine the overall pressure for both of them is relatively low for now, which should work in their favor. Rebuilds can be long and arduous, and there's going to be a lot of ugly basketball. But it's also super-endearing once young prospects start getting their poo poo together, or even seeing journeymen carve out a niche on your team.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

With 33 and 34, you can grab a guy that can theoretically contribute right away. 31 too, but just had to have Trevor Booker. Sharouk aint gonna do that

The lack of 2nd round picks show a continued incompetence or uninterest in working the margins and a lack of understanding of what the 2nd round is all about

The frustrating thing isn't even just that they disregarded these picks. It's that they apparently did a piss-rear end lazy job of scouting in general. Rather than their due diligence in investigating anyone else who could fall or be around during their original 1st pick, they apparently honed in on a couple of guys and telegraphed their moves.

Whether or not there will be a potential 2nd rounder that could've helped the team, they wouldn't even know. My gut says there'll be like 4 guys who could've come in and provided valuable time and minutes for their run-it-back team. Bruno at 34 probably would've been the perfect cheap backup C, or at least provide good depth. Running Amir, Greg Monroe and Boban was frustrating at times, and even with those 3, Mike Scott was often their best choice.

At the end of the day, I think or at least hope this will work out with the Sixers stronger than last year. It mostly adds limits and locks us into our existing a lot more.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

So as long as Bol Bol experiences the same medical science and trust fall training that Embiid has, he should be A-OK.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

It's a pretty good summer to bet on yourself as a free agent, no? WCS's gamble should pay off unless he pulls a Nerlens and rejects good offers. I'm sure the Sixers would love to throw part of their Mid Level exception at him.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

Stein is a FA regardless. All he's doing is asking Sac to not use the QA on him and it's not like he was even offered an early extension, so he didn't really bet on himself.

There's still an appreciable difference in being a restricted FA and unrestricted though (I assume he was going to be restricted with the QA). Teams would be less wary of making an offer that SAC would match. However, to my point, assuming the prior info is correct, it's a gamble in that if he goes unrestricted and gets poo poo for offers, he's somewhat hosed. Well as much as a multimillion dollar pro athlete could be in this situation.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

euphronius posted:

I don’t . They need to change to rules to make it official tho.

Also the draft should be after free agency opens

I don't get the point of all this extra time between the draft and free agency. At the very least, it should start the following Monday.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

leftist heap posted:

I love ET but boy howdy does he stink at basketball. I wish he didn't sound like Meatwad cause he'd be perfect in a booth.

I feel like Evan Turner is one of those guys who if he played in the 70s, he'd be considered an all time great. It's just bizarre because he's clearly worked his rear end off and has legit skills, but it's clear he has no innate greatness or like a visceral sense of the game that's required to excel at the NBA level in his era.

I'd love to see him in the BIG3 or maybe China, because he can absolutely make mere mortal players look foolish with his iso skills.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

leftist heap posted:

He really really looks like he should be better at basketball than he is.

My take on him since his rookie year is that aside from his height, he has very few natural elite attributes for an NBA player. Because of this, he has to work extremely hard to do every single thing that he does on a court which is good enough to make him a fringe pro. Unlike other similarly athletically mediocre players in the league, he never developed a reliable jump shot or the physicality to overcome his shortcomings on a consistent basis. He's a decent passer though.

Panzeh posted:

I don't think he could keep up with Cuttino Mobley or Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, much less Big Baby or Rashard Lewis.

Evan Turner 2019 or hypothetical retired Turner in 2022? I feel like he should be able to keep up with 40+ year old ballers with questionable joints, but I suppose he could always surprise me.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

no joke I would really hate that

a sign and trade for Capela, Gordon, and Tucker could be good but I would have a really hard time letting go of Butler. Capela could be used to add depth somewhere. But Butler's so good! unless you're absolutely sure you're going to land Kawhi or keep Harris I don't see why they would engage in this Daryl Morey coke dream

If he would be leaving anyway, I would unironically come away pretty happy with Capela, Gordon and Tucker for Jimmy Buckets. Not that I don't want Jimmy to stay, but that's really good depth, not to mention much needed toughness and outside shooting. Is Capela capable of playing PF at all?

All three of these guys have reasonable contracts, each of which seem pretty easily tradeable.

The main thing is, I have no idea what leverage Houston would have to force this thing to happen.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

my thing with Capela is that he's for sure a goner on this roster as currently constructed. maybe you trade him for someone on the wing? Tucker and Gordon would be great fits.

Houston has basically no leverage until Butler says I'm signing with Houston or something

Is Capela that ill-fitted though? I'll go ahead and assume he can play some PF (he did with Howard back in the day). A line-up of Simmons, Gordon, Harris, Capela and Embiid would at least be long as hell and a defensive nightmare right? Offensively, they'd have to put Harris and Gordon to good use, but they would have a whole summer to strategize.

More importantly, assuming the Sixers finally learned from Kawhi about the importance of load management, there's a ton of center minutes to be had. Maybe 20 games off for Embiid and probably about 20 minutes a game that he's on the bench. I could see Capela being a decent 10/20 minute player at PF/C, albeit a fairly expensive one, but it's not really that crazy of a contract in 2019 NBA. The Sixers probably do need a pretty decent and overpriced backup C, regardless of Capela.

Either way, I think he has enough value that he could probably be offloaded pretty easily for a useful player or two.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm mostly advocating Capela as a much needed quality backup C, but I'm unclear how he'd do as a PF. I'd still imagine there'd be times where they could smother teams with defense though.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

MourningView posted:

Paying a backup center that much money is extremely stupid roster construction. Capela holds up well on switches for a center he loses a lot of his defensive value if he's playing the four a lot.

It is super easy to find competent regular season backup centers for the minimum and in the playoffs you can play Tucker there in a lot of lineups like the Rockets have

If Embiid goes through the Kawhi load management plan, that'd probably need an above minimum pay-grade C to play all those missed games and minutes. I don't trust the Bobans, Amirs, and Greg Monroes of the world, it doesn't seem as easy as you make it out to be to get competent ones. I'm not sure what the proper salary of said person would be in the current salary climate, but it's probably at a luxury level the Sixers owners can afford.

In an ideal world, Jonah Bolden will have spent 3 Earth days in a Hyperbolic Time Chamber to become the perfect cheap backup PF/C.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

the entire concept of the kawhi load management plan is that the regular season minutes he misses do not matter. if they matter enough that you plan to have a second starting center then you just wouldnt rest your star in the first place

The Sixers also rely a lot more on Embiid for both offense and defense than the Raptors do on Kawhi. As great as Kawhi is, they were mostly good enough to win 17 of 22 games without him. By contrast, the Sixers won only 8 of 18 games that Embiid missed. There's a reason the Raptors were considered a deep team going into the playoffs.

It's probably an issue with coaching, but regardless, the Sixers went into the season with terrible backup C options and it cost them pretty big, both in potential standings and in Embiid's health during the playoffs.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

sounds like they cant rest their star on purpose then

You win.

BWV posted:

This contributes to my theory that guys like Greg Monroe are the most detrimental players to a team because they trick coaches and teammates into thinking they are serviceable. This leads to teams not replacing them and coaches being okay with them having slightly higher usage rates than they should have. My gut tells me Jae Crowder and Demarre Carroll also have the Monroe Virus , although I've admittedly watched them play less over the past year.

To be fair to Crowder and Carroll, my impression is they've worked their asses off to achieve what they've gotten--they're guys who could were fringe NBA level to begin with, a lot of coaches fall in love with hard working project players. Monroe started off as a potentially good to great player but seems to have been coasting for a long time.

I think their endpoint is pretty similar to Monroe, but for almost the opposite reason as him--sticking around based on reputations. Their reputations as no frills glue/3 and D guys and Monroe's as an former borderline star vet.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

Someone should calculate how much money Brad Stevens has earned rando garbage role players

Nowhere near as much as Lebron has earned rando garbage teammates.

What player or coach has earned the most money for undeserving players?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I would think so, but I can't remember any big contracts given out to a undeserving Pop guy. Brad Stevens getting Evan Turner a big 4 year contract is a miracle.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

On the other hand it'd be hilarious to play hardball with the Zinger now.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

What's the deal with Derrick Favors? He's been in the league forever but I just saw that he's only 27 years old. As a former 3rd overall pick he's seemingly flown completely under the radar and has had a statistically decent but unremarkable career. Has he reached his full potential? Was there ever a universe where he could've been better than Cousins, who was drafted 5th?

I feel like I've learned and heard nothing about him as a person over the last 10 years, all of which is fine, but is generally more in line with typical mid-late picks rather than top 3 guys.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Tae posted:

Would larry brown play him though

Only if he "played the right way" so no.

Although I suspect the indignity of playing behind the super awkward looking 2nd year player, Tayshaun Prince, would have given Melo the drive to become a complete player. Or he'd have gotten fat and been out of the league by the end of his rookie contract.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Dejan Bimble posted:

My counterfactual about the Melo Pistons

Carmelo Anthony rockets to stardom as a young scorer and rebounder on a defensively sound team. They win a championship his rookie year with minimal contributions, but he steps up and scores 15ppg as a sophmore, helping the team to a second championship. They stumble in the next couple years as the Shaq lead Dallas Mavericks plow through competition, including the sacramento kings.
Chris Webber decides to join his hometown team, and the combination of a young melo and Chris Weber make Detroit an elite mid-range team with three point shooting from its guards. This singlehandedly pushes back the analytics revolution by 5 years.
We are saved from any further Spurs championships.
Friendship basketball exists only in opposition to authoritarian coaches.
Adam Silver is never born.
David Stern dies of a snake bite to the penis.

A young Lebron James becomes a watch maker.

I'm with you until the Webber years. He was pretty much cooked by the mid 2000s. There's a reason no one ever talks about his time with the Sixers.

Also, how would you feel if this gave Joe Dumars a pass to be GM for life?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

As great as Butler is, I'm a bit baffled as to what he does for Houston sans Capela/Gordon/Tucker. If anything, he's redundant with Harden and Paul and that trade makes them much worse as a cohesive team. Do they really need a 3rd ball dominant iso player?

The Sixers arguably might improve with Gordon and Tucker on reasonable contracts and whatever Capela substitute they'd get (after all, only one ball) though I'd prefer to re-sign Butler as a proven commodity on the team.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

NotWearingPants posted:

I obviously don't know what Butler is thinking, but if he doesn't want to play with a high usage player like Embiid then going to Houston to play with the highest usage player who also plays the same position doesn't seem like a good idea.

It may be bias, but it would seem like Philly is the perfect place for Butler. He would play with a star in Embiid whose role is completely different than his and get a back court partner that doesn't even shoot. Is there another team in the league with comparable talent that would be able to offer him as much of a feature role?

Taking salary situations out of the equation, I'd say only the Lakers, Pacers, Nuggets and maybe Clippers could be comparable in terms of fit and surrounding talent. Throw in Toronto if Kawhi leaves.

But, he's already on Philly and has expressed enjoying his time there. He knows they were extremely close to beating the Raptors and Simmons and Embiid both figure to improve. I'm with you as far as Philly being at the top of the list, but who knows what he's really thinking.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

https://twitter.com/DidTheSixersWin/status/1145093518127443968?s=19

Man I don't know how I'd feel about this team. Would have to pray that Zhaire and Matisse develop really quick because they'd be in desperate need of backcourt defense.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Adun posted:

He’s the second best scorer in the NBA and easily a top 20 player which I think is pretty much where he’s generally rated?

If he manages to wreck the chemistry of the Nets next year than that'll definitely have to factor into how he's rated and perceived as a total package.

Who's better for the Sixers, Eric Gordan or Josh Richardson?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

A Sixers team of

Simmons
Richardson
Harris
Horford
Embiid

with

Shake Milton
Zhaire Smith
Herro
Bam
Thybulle
Olynyk
Bolden
Reddick?
Scott?
Ennis?
Boban?

Would be really deep, but would also probably have to run like a 9 or 10 man rotation to deal with the Harris/Horford/Embiid matchup issues. My guess would be that Horford and Embiid would stagger a lot of their time until maybe the end of 4th quarters. I could see this team contending for a title, but I could see it being a bit of a mess for awhile. Defense is really the key. At the end of the day, if Simmons has a jumpshot most of this probably doesn't matter.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Adun posted:

How did Kyrie wreck the chemistry of the Celtics? It's been pretty well publicized there were a shitload of issues with trying to shoe-horn Hayward into the rotation plus Brown/Tatum having issues taking a back seat that were just as problematic.

Noted culture guy and consummate professional Al Horford getting the gently caress out of Boston as well.

There are quite a few stories about this from this past season. Are you a Celtics fan? The gist of it is that they were a good team the year before when he was injured and this past season he came off as a selfish leader who regularly threw the younger guys under the bus.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

euphronius posted:

That team still needs two point guards

Horford can be backup Center
Need one more versatile big too

I think they'd be good on bigs. Embiid, Horford, Harris, Olynyk, Boban and/or Scott. Versatile bigs are a luxury and they'd have more than most teams, unless you really hate Olynyk. I'm not a fan, but he can be very effective on a deep team.

I think they plan on making Shake at least one of the backup pgs. Maybe they'll re-sign TJ, which I'm not a fan of. There's also other staunch vets like Ish Smith, Mudiay, Peyton, or maybe they can convince Collison to unretire.

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 30, 2019

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Zyla posted:

signing a max player in horford to be backup Center??? lmao

I believe his natural position is PF, so it's not the end of the world. The biggest issue is that Harris is a PF so ehhh. This would've been better if this was a Harris sign and trade and Butler stay.

euphronius posted:

Shake isn’t a back up nba player

Probably true, but he looked decent in his limited minutes last year. I'd be content with him being the 2nd backup (we didn't even have one last season behind TJ). But you're right that they definitely need to sign someone.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Metapod posted:

ben simmons for steven adams

We want Ben Simmons who can shoot, not Ben Simmons on steroids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Adun posted:

Are you a Boston area sports blogger? Trying to this all on Kyrie is some crazy poo poo.

Noted team cancer Kyrie Irving decided to ... not go to the club and got pissed off at the young players who did before a back to back with Miami?

Selfish leader Kyrie Irving decided to ... put up a bunch of extra shots after that loss?

What? I actually hate the Celtics. I don't think he's solely to blame for the team's disappointing season, but this isn't some zero-sum blame game. There's been plenty said about his poor leadership this season, nationally and locally. Acting aloof, pointing criticizing teammates, making odd statements. Meh, if you want to be excited about Kyrie, go for it. The Earth can be flat.