Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boggus
Mar 26, 2007

A yellow jumpsuit makes all the difference.
Problem description: Bought a Radeon VII less than 2 months ago, upgraded from a Vega 56. I got graphical artifacting in certain games, it is shown as in glitchy shadows and lightning. The artifacting has a certain "blocky" look to it, almost checkerboard at times. Some games are not affected, some are greatly affected and some only have minor issuess.

Examples:

Sunset Overdrive - Greatly affected, all shadows are a mess.
Click here for gameplay video.

Far Cry 4 - Minor issues
Click here for gameplay video. - Grainy "checkerboardy" popin on the white wall and textures on the mountain to the upper right. Most easily seen when viewed in 1440p.

Click here for gameplay video. - Grainy "checkerboardy" popin on the stairs.

Attempted fixes: Tried different drivers, old aswell as recent, no change. Tried different settings in the games; setting shadows to low, turning of ambient occlusion, adjusting anti-aliasing etc. No difference.

Recent changes: Only recent change to the system was upgrading from a Vega 56 card. Did a full driver uninstall aswell as cleaning up with DDU before installing the new GPU. Underclocked the VRAM aswell to see if it improved anything but it had no effect.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home.

System specs: Ryzen 1600, 16 GB RAM, Gigabyte Gaming-3 B350 motherboard, Radeon VII, Seasonic 850W PSU, Kingston 250gb SSD, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, Western Digital 1TB mechanical harddrive.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

-------

From prior experience and reading on the web, a faulty VRAM or memory controller can sometimes manifest itself in graphical artifacting. But then again, these kinds of errors can also be driver related. I got warranty on the card but I need to be as certain as I can that I have ruled out software related issues.

What are your thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU