Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

RevKrule posted:

I binged the whole series over the weekend. Stranger Things 3 was much better than I expected but this really shone.

I spent yesterday thinking about the ending of season 2 and I can't help but wonder if alternate timelines are something that's actually new. If they didn't, how could they have escaped the apocalypse? Adam's door seems to be the first instance of someone harnessing time travel at their whim to visit any location. Even if there was another method, who was supposed to pick him up? Wouldn't they have shown up before he was taken by Martha B? If this was planned, it makes the answer of what happens next even more interesting to me honestly. It also lends itself to Jonas/Martha at the top of the "Tree" but it's Jonas A and Martha B

I'm going to assume it's new, for the sake of them continuing the show with a new twist vs "we're just watching new parts of the same loop that's been around for two seasons"

Jonas spent 66 years of his life trying to change the loop and get out of it, eventually realizing that you can't. You can't change the past or the future because they already happened. Hence the whole thing about "creating a new world". He can't affect the current loop, but what he can do is create a new one and alter the events there so things turn out different such as that Martha lives. The only way he can save Martha is to create a new alternate world where she doesn't die. He refers to events we see as the final cycle because it will be the final time the current loop repeats itself like it always has, because a new alternate loop #2 is going to be created at the end of it.

This also assumes that the old Jonas (Adam) doesn't know about Martha reappearing because it did not happen in his old loop. The current young Jonas is the first one who will experience the new world (two loops influencing each other) which will be the focal point of season 3. Thus old and new Jonas can truly become enemies, where Adam can actually now kill young Jonas as they won't be connected through the same loop anymore.

Or they can say gently caress it it's always been two loops and Adam calls himself Adam because that's his actual name in loop #2 and that's what his parents named him there :) Therefore he has never been Jonas in loop #1. Adam is loving around in loop #1 because he needs to make sure loop #2 gets created in the first place or otherwise he won't exist. Good luck explaining that in future youtube summaries if that's what they go with. End of Season 3 will involve the Citadel of Adams discussing how to make sure new alternate loops get created and more Adams join their cause.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU