Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I must be the only one that found season 3 a disappointment. Too convoluted but I did like the ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Some thoughts

- Hated Katharina's death. Not just because I liked the character, but because it was poor storytelling that happened just to be shocking. It just felt random and like so much of what she had been doing was ultimately pointless. So much wasted screentime
- The cleft-pallette trio was very dumb. Comic-book movie bad. Every other character on the show has motivations and nuance, and this guy is just being as creepy as possible for the fun of it. Plus, what's the point in having three version of yourself if two of them just stand around being weird while one of them does everything?
- The secret villain pulling the strings the whole time and is only revealed in the final act. This is always a bad storytelling choice. It is unsatisfying because it negates so much of what came before. Allow the main characters we already know to be the ones driving the plot forward.
- My biggest complaint is that the show takes far too long for us to understand the characters' motivations. I mean, I like mystery too, and it was fun to watch the show, but it would have been much better if we'd known what Adam and Eva and Claudia all wanted much earlier, so that we could then see them making choices to try to accomplish their goals. I felt I was left guessing for far too long.

Overall, I think the show took a big step backward by diving headfirst into being mysterious for its own sake and lost some of what made it great, which was the character-focused stuff. The entire 3rd world plotline was frustrating and unsatisfying. I wanted to see the characters from S1 & S2 figure out what they needed to do, not see several brand new characters be introduced for the final bit.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I noticed they very carefully avoided anything in the 30s and 40s

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

the_enduser posted:

Yeah I got that but I would have like some scene with like Tannhauser or something.

It just seemed way too convenient that Martha's side could jump across world's but Adam didn't really seem to even know or care about another world until this season. At least the first and second season had Tannhauser working on the Jonas side's machine a bit, even though it was a paradox too.

I think there was something where there were not just two timelines but two realities. In one reality, which repeated endlessly, Martha died and Jonas hid in the basement and became Adam. In another reality, Martha died and Jonas gets rescued by other-Martha and then does not become Adam.

But it still doesn't make any sense within their rules that this one time in an endlessly repeating cycle, Jonas and Martha were able to do something differently. I don't think the show kept to their rules.