Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Finally started watching this. Halfway through s1 and enjoying it. The mix of odd time travel stuff and seeing how the characters and their relationships change between the two periods is good. Also, Elisabeth is adorable. The exaggerated facial expressions (I guess to assist with the sign language communication or maybe to convey more pathos to the audience in the absence of dialogue) and the little fox hat are cute.

Other comments after watching the end of s1:

* Hannah is a tremendous bitch.
* Katharina reacting to people that upset her with aggression and violence doesn't endear her either, much as she's stressed.
* Relatedly, Ulrich became progressively less sympathetic (not that he started off very likable, since the first time you see him is loving a woman who isn't his wife). Katharina and him bullying someone as harmless as Regina was probably where I stopped feeling much concern for his well-being; clobbering a 10 year old in an attempt to kill him (although the motivation was understandable, I can't empathise with someone bringing themself to murder a sweet looking kid like that) was just icing. Dunno how they had two kids who seem okay.
* Did not expect to feel sympathy for Regina and Aleksander from how their characters were introduced; they seem to have the only good marriage.
* Helge's a really pathetic figure.
* Lol at the accidental incest - dunno how the writers restrained themselves from slipping in Oedipus references. Jonas probably could've handled Martha a bit better.
* I find the 33 year thing odd. I'm not sure of the specifics of how it works, but I gather there's some phenomenon that's only active for a period, and you travel exactly 33 years back/forward from whatever day you travel on during that period. If it were a fixed 33 year travel at any time, it wouldn't just be 1953/1986/2019; and if it took you to the exact same point in those time periods each time all the time travelers (including other versions of themselves) would arrive at the destination at the exact same time.
* Time travel usually irritates me as a plot device because writers use it without really trying to think it through, leading to gaping narrative holes that are often hard to ignore. Here one of the major points of the show is how the time travel affects the narrative, and it's clearly thought out and isn't grating at all.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Finished it. Felt like the show creators had more to do but got a wrap-up order. A couple of things that were obviously dangling: Bartosz/Jonas antagonism; Boris/Aleksander. Sad the latter didn't get more attention and from the perspective of giving a happy ending maybe tied up in a way that would allow Boris and Regina to get together - throughout the series they were one of the very few romantic relationships between likable characters that was completely stable and, until Regina's illness, happy. I guess Boris still exists in the origin universe but there was never any reason for him to come in contact with Regina in the same way, what with the absence of Ulrich and an event in 1986 that needed covering up - hell, the power plant won't exist because there's no cleft lip guy to threaten that official to give the licence. Which is, in some ways, worse than if he just didn't exist.

Didn't like how it seemed that the show was breaking its own rules. My guess was that the only timeline that would be stable would be one where time travel never happened - might've been neat if they'd hinted there were shitloads of timelines, many of them created by events that had nothing to do with the characters or place we see in DarK, created throughout histotry, but any timeline with travel would inevitably be unstable in some way, leaving the timeline without travel as the only viable one

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jul 8, 2020