Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Dark: Seriously, I'm My Own Grandpa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

GABA ghoul posted:

That's a really good point. The suitcase machine doesn't really have to be build because it travels with the user and can be handed over throughout the time loop, having therefore no real origin. But Adam's big machine has to be redeveloped in each iteration because it's stationary. And while he has as rough understanding of how it works from watching Claudia in the future, he still has to put in years of work and research to make it work. Maybe some of this research involved the Winden wormhole(which is only available post 1986) so he sends Noah to this time to do the chair experiments and bring back the research results.

And Noah kills the kids as part of the experiments because the kids were killed as part of the experiments. They are explicitly trying to keep the loop intact at that point, so he doesn't really have a choice in the matter. If those specific kids don't die, the loop can't exist.

Plus, Adam spent a number of years trying to create his own device after he lost access to the suitcase ("after" meaning from his perspective, not from a chronological POV). He really only had possession of the suitcase for a short period of time. Most of the time it was with either Claudia or Tannhaus.

CeeJee posted:

The showrunners went 110% Kubrick/Fincher on season 3.

A lot of the shots were recreated later with different characters/versions. Really impressive cinematography. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yA8EZQyhS0

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Ulio posted:

The OST for this season was amazing, the licensed songs they used toward the end of each episode were all bangers.

I think the only song I actively disliked was that completely on-the-nose Ariadne song. Dude needs to learn some subtlety in his lyrics, and his voice is grating.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 29, 2020

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

CeeJee posted:

I hope this shames the English language TV and movie business in making a similar effort and not coming up with families where the parents look nothing like their children and the age difference between actors is way too low. With a pool of actors so much bigger then Germany they must be able to do better.

Something I've noticed a lot more lately in American productions is when children of actors also become actors and play their parents' characters, like Dark did with Peter Doppler.

Mamie Gummer has played a younger Meryl Streep, O'Shea Jackson played Ice Cube in Straight Outta Compton, Agents of SHIELD just introduced Bill Paxton's son as a younger version of his villain from earlier in the series, etc. It definitely helps with the mannerisms since they're so used to being around them.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I also don't feel they ever explained or went over the time travel shenanigans right at the start, with the burnt eye kids and the small room in the basement. What were those contraptions? Failed initial attempts at time travel? But why, when Hanno already knew there were working devices under the church? kinda got glossed over.

I think this came up earlier in the thread, but they did briefly explain that each iteration of the devices led to creating more advanced devices. Even when they create new ones, they still have to create the old ones that led to them because it's part of the cycle. If you look at each one there are also visual cues on each device, like the black and white counters and the port for the cesium isotope.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Megasabin posted:

Does the show tell us whether Worlds A & B were always linked in a mobius strip? When the origin world split did the entire mobius loop pop into existence all at once? Or were they separate worlds and Eva used the glitch to link them at some point?

How did they even go back to the origin world? I thought it was 100% destroyed.

I've read up a bunch about this and even rewatched most of the series. From what I've gathered, here's how the whole thing works: Origin Tannhaus's family dying is still a fixed point in time, but it occurs before the first iteration of the cycle. Everything happens because of the machine, but it doesn't really "pop into existence all at once"; there's still a linear sequence of events that has to occur to create the family knot: A-Jonas & B-Martha have to have a child (The Unknown), which has to grow up to have children with both A-Agnes AND B-Agnes, whose descendents eventually create Jonas and Martha in a causal loop.

It helps if you think about the A & B worlds as two halves of one big repeating cycle rather than parallel universes, because they caused each other's existences: From a linear perspective, Tannhaus turning on the machine spawns Adam's world, which he manipulates to unmake his own existence, believing his sacrifice will save everyone he loves. But unmaking himself spawns Eva's world (a world without Jonas), which Eva manipulates to remake Adam's world, ensuring that Jonas does exist so their child will live. Each half of the cycle infiltrates and interferes with each other for many, many cycles, unmaking and remaking Adam using various time travel tech. Adam's half of the cycle has the briefcase, but people can only travel in 33 year increments with it. Eva's half has the sphere, which allows people to travel to ANY point in the cycle, including Adam's half.

BUT, every time the cycle repeats, there's something slightly different: Old Claudia teaches her younger self everything she knows, so that knowledge increases with each iteration because she learns more each time. She knows she needs to manipulate events to preserve both halves of the cycle for several iterations, until she can gradually gain enough knowledge to change things. This eventually leads her to the key piece of information: Time freezes for a split-second during the apocalypse, which if used in conjunction with the sphere, can break outside of time and create a 'bridge' back to the Origin. So it technically was never an infinite loop; something changed each cycle, so it was inevitable that Claudia would eventually figure out how to break it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Strange Matter posted:

Great show. Season 3 had some problems, but only so much as to keep it from becoming absolutely legendary.

I really wish Netflix had given them 33 episodes to let the pacing breathe a bit. The three seasons were 10-8-8, but 10-10-13 would've been the perfect length for how densely packed season 3 is.