Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

July 1791

"She's a spitfire, that one," sneered the Spaniard, throwing the dark haired French girl into the wooden cell on the ship. Jeanette Vignes gasped, turning around as the solid door was closed tightly behind her. She slumped down into her billowing skirts.

"When my father hears of this -!"

"He will be horrified that his daughter is a witch, no doubt. And pleased to allow the Inquisition to do their good work." The new voice was slick and mellow, belonging to the Inquisitor. Jeanette didn't even know if he had a name.

"I am no witch!" she shouted hoarsely, but some of her previous fire was gone. "I am no sorcerer."

"Yet you read palms at parties, flaunting your powers and drawing the faithful down to Hell with you," said the Inquisitor, his feathers unruffled. "You return with us to Cartegena to stand trial, where you will no doubt confess your plentiful sins."

"I shall confess nothing," she whispered, but her captors didn’t hear her as they walked away. Jeanette buried her face in her hands, the ship rocking gently beneath her as it put out to sea.

Captain Marco Fernandez studied the sky as his ship, the Esmeralda, left port. He had been sailing between the islands of the Caribbean ocean for years, and was a devout Papist. No doubt the reason the Inquisition had blessed his ship by pressing it into service these past months.

Behind him the sun was setting, but his eyes were on the gathering darkness ahead. There were pirates in these seas, and he prayed to Mother Mary for protection as they went about the Church's work. Below decks there was a sobbing scream as the heretic was welcomed into the Inquisition's forgiving embrace. Marco crossed himself and tried to listen to the flap of the unfurled sails as the warm tropical winds caught them and propelled his ship toward Columbia.

Usually he took the ship out himself, a tradition of his that bordered on superstition. If his own hands were upon the wheel then the Esmeralda felt like an extension of his body. The wind in her sails ruffled his hair, and the waters that were split by her prow were the salty spray that misted his face. Nothing could threaten her with him guiding her through the seas. Tonight, he stood by as Pedro manned the helm. Inquisitor Castillo had insisted that Marco explain their route in detail while also getting underway, and he could not be in two places at once.

The captain's hands clenched involuntarily on the rail, then he nodded to Pedro and headed below decks.

Jeanette clutched at the rosary that she'd been allowed in her cell, a small room in a particularly dank part of a ship. The daughter of a merchant, she was not unaccustomed to sailing between the islands, though she had never been confined to a brig before.

A silent nun was posted outside, just visible through the barred window in the door. Her pious head was bowed, but Jeanette was certain the woman was sleeping, not praying. She didn't know what time it was, but was certain it was full dark outside.

She fingered the beads in her hand, drawing them one by one through her palm. Mother Mary, full of grace... Our Father, who art in heaven…

Her own mother had stood as still as a statue of the Madonna when the Inquisition had come for her, the anguish in her eyes the only thing Jeanette could hold onto after the soldiers had pulled her away. Father was on the ocean, picking up goods to be sold in other ports. Mother had no choice - to protest would have been effectively signing her own death warrant. It still hurt, however, to remember the relative coldness of the woman Jeanette had once depended on for everything.

Palm reading - it was ridiculous. Jeanette rubbed the back of her fist over her damp and dirty cheeks, the rosary beads dancing lightly against her skin. It was a jest, a silly game she did for her friends at parties when asked. Promising tall dark strangers and mysterious admirers, the sort of thing girls loved to hear even though they knew it was false. And as luck would have it, the tall dark stranger at the last party had been an Inquisitor, and though the Inquisition had been falling further into irrelevance with the Church as a whole it still very much had the power to do just about anything it wanted.

Which, in this case, meant dragging a twenty-four year old maiden from her home just before dinner. Jeanette dragged shaking fingers through her dark hair, trying to tease out the tangles as the ship bumped and shuddered. The nun raised her head and rubbed her bleary eyes. They were far enough below decks that it was nearly impossible to hear what was going on above their heads in the open air, but Jeanette imagined she could hear shouting. Were they being boarded?

"Sails!" came the call from the bow, where a sharp eyed boy was shielded from the lanterns that lined the sides, and Pedro clutched the wheel a bit tighter than usual. The captain appeared from below decks after a moment, barking orders. The ship on the moonlit horizon carried no lights of its own. Ships that sailed dark were usually up to no good.

Sailors heaved on lines as Pedro pulled on the wheel, slowly turning the ship broadside to the new arrival as they tried to cut across its approach and out run it. Captain Fernandez yelled for the lanterns to be doused as the mysteriously dark ship continued to sail right toward them. He grabbed his spyglass to try to get a better look, but even with the magnification he could only make out the broad strokes of the vessel. It flew no flag.

"Pirates, most likely," he said to the Inquisitor who had deigned to grace the deck with his presence. Fernandez's brow was tight with tension, and he looked up at Esmerelda's sails as the wind filled them. Shouts and running footsteps filled the air, and they were making enough headway that his shoulders began to relax.

And then, just like that, the sails billowed one last time and then fell limp. "Mio Dios," he breathed as his beautiful Esmeralda was becalmed and the pirate ship drew inexorably closer.

The nun gripped a small knife in one trembling fist as she backed away from the narrow door that led out of the brig. Jeanette remained pressed to her cell door, her face against the bars in it's window. "Let me out, Sister," she pleaded, and the other woman turned to look at her briefly, shaking her head.

Jeanette tried again. "If it's pirates they will rape us both, let me out so I can help you."

The nun turned an almost venomous glare on her. "Be silent, witch!"

There was a clatter of footsteps on the stairs beyond; the thumps and shouts from above deck were almost quiet by this time. Jeanette backed away, putting her back to the hull just as the brig door exploded inward. Her heart thumped as she heard a gasp from the nun, and then the sound of something heavy hitting flesh. A face appeared at the window to her door, but was gone so quickly she barely had a chance to process it.

She clutched at her skirts as keys jangled and were fitted into the lock, a prayer stuck halfway completed in her head as she tried not to imagine her fate once the pirates got her door open. The cell, once a prison, seemed like her only sanctuary.

Pressing herself as far away from the cell door as possible, Jeanette cast about for anything she could use as a weapon. She grabbed the wooden bucket she had not had occasion to use yet, and edged closer to the door as it opened outward. She had an impression of a dirty male face and a flash of knife, and them she smashed the bucket into it, knocking the man backward and shoving past him into the cabin.

She saw the nun on the floor, bleeding from a cut on her cheek, while the pirate swore mightily behind her. Jeanette gathered up her skirts and pulled on the heavy brig door, slipping through just as she felt the man grabbing for her and missing. She didn't have a plan beyond finding the captain of the ship for protection, or, barring that, throwing herself into the ocean. Drowning was preferable to whatever would happen to her should the pirates catch her.

The sounds of battle still came from above decks, but the shouts were diminished. One side or the other was winning. Jeanette stumbled through the dark and narrow passage, heading for the ladder up, but a sailor's body tumbled down it in front of her, his neck at an unnatural angle. She put her hand to her mouth, and edged around the ladder. She could hide below decks until things calmed down, then run for it.

Someone grabbed her arms roughly, and she was pulled backward through a door, a hand clamping over her mouth and stifling her instinctive scream.

"Be silent, witch," Inquisitor Castillo muttered in her ear, kicking the door closed in front of her and dragging her further into the cabin. The only light was from the moon dancing on the waves... they were in the captain's room, the only cabin with windows.

Welcome to my new, CYOA experiment! We are playing a 24 yr old French heiress who has lived in the Caribbean for most of her life with her vapid mother and often absent, merchant father. She has been dragged away from her comfortable life by the Spanish Inquisition and is bound for Cartegena, Columbia, where she may stand trial for witchcraft. I will, from time to time, switch perspectives and add in other characters, like I did with Captain Fernandez. We’ll just see how it goes.

I’m mostly doing this because I want to write this story and I really do well, IMO, with a little collaborative feedback. If I mess up historical stuff feel free to let me know so I can fix it. I’d blog it, but I have no blogging audience. ;)

Edit: on the Discord server request the “The SCARE-ibbean” role

OK, got it?

:siren: Here’s our first choice: :siren:
A.
Jeanette should try to stay quiet and safe by obeying whatever Castillo tells her to do
B. She should kick up a fuss and take her chances on her own.
C. Something between trying to get away from him and just doing whatever he says

:siren: Perspective shift :siren:
D.
Stick with Jeanette and Castillo
E. Switch to Captain Fernandez on deck

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Characters:

Jeanette Vignes

Captain Marco Fernandez

Inquisitor Castillo DECEASED

Jacob Martin

Erik Odinson

Thaddeus Petalas/Post

Jean Mercier

Jacques Mercier DECEASED

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 11, 2020

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
B, we won't be a damsel in distress!

E

Junpei fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 24, 2019

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
B - spite, gently caress this fucker. The pirates won't kill us unless we put up a fight, but they'll kill the inquisitor without question. If the ship wins we're just as hosed as we were before. If the pirates win we're hosed anyway. Let's try and get this rear end in a top hat killed regardless how things turn out and maybe we can negotiate something with the winner.
E

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

B
E

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
C Scream in tounges, pretend to cast a spell, play on the Inquisitor's beliefs and fears to make him leave the room.

D Stick with the current scene.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

John_A_Tallon posted:

C Scream in tounges, pretend to cast a spell, play on the Inquisitor's beliefs and fears to make him leave the room.

Change my answer to this, at least for the first.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
B
D

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
BD

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

BE

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Unnaturally becalmed, the Esmeralda was helpless as the dark ship came up to it. It had appeared so silently and quickly that Captain Fernandez had not had a chance to call for the cannons to be readied.

Now it was far too late, as the ship with black sails came close enough to board them. Marco Fernandez pulled his guns, one in each hand, as men came swinging across onto the deck of his ship.

“Defend the ship, in the name of God himself!” he shouted, crossing himself with one hand as he aimed the pistol at a boarder and pulled the trigger. The flintlock discharged loudly and the pirate fell to the deck heavily, crawling a bloody smear across the wood. As if it had been a signal, the Esmeralda’s crew set into the boarding pirates, hacking at ropes that were set to tie the two ships together, and slashing the marauders to attempt to send them back to whence they’d come.

Marco shot another pirate, dropping them on the stairs up to the poop deck as he held his ground. Looking to his right he could see Pedro’s frightened face before red bloomed on his cheek and the man fell like a stone.

The captain thrust his pistols back into the belt that was slung across his chest - with no time to reload they were only good for a shot each. Drawing his sword, he backed across the deck, looking over toward the dark ship. Lit only by moonlight it was hard to make out details, but Marco felt an uncomfortable prickle down his neck, like he was being stared at.

He turned back to his own ship, where his men were fighting bravely but being overrun in the darkness.

:siren: What should Captain Fernandez do?
A. Order his men to keep fighting, jump down into the fray on the main deck
B. Order a surrender, hope for mercy
C. Light the lamps
D. Run away...somewhere
E. Something else? Write in

(edit was to fix the banner)

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 25, 2019

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

C, can't fight what you can't see

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Crazycryodude posted:

C, can't fight what you can't see

C

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Updated the second post with character pictures - just for a general idea of what they look like, costume inaccuracies aside. When new characters are introduced they may be added to the post. :)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Let's C what's going on.

hollylolly posted:

Updated the second post with character pictures - just for a general idea of what they look like, costume inaccuracies aside. When new characters are introduced they may be added to the post. :)

Mr Castillo needs a kick in the dick.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

C

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

C It's black as pitch, we have a few seconds to gut our intruders.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

“Light the lamps!”

His call is repeated across the Esmeralda and Marco watched as light flared up along the deck. He pulled the covers from the lanterns nearest him, turning and standing ready as the pirates try the stairs again, a trio of filthy men swarming up toward him.

His sword slashed across the belly of the first to reach him, spilling the pirate’s guts to the deck, the backswing catching the man in the face as he fell. The other two were immediately more cautious, circling around their fallen brother with their swords ready.

Marco backed away slowly, toward the center of the upper deck, and nearly tripped over the body of his fallen helmsman. Catching himself in time, he parried an attack from one of the men and shoved the pirate away.

His men were still fighting, holding their own better now that they could see. The pirates didn’t have the numbers - perhaps they could still be repulsed if their prize bloodied them too much. Captain Fernandez looked down at the length of the Esmerada with hope, only to catch sight of a huge red-haired man leaping from the forecastle of the pirate ship and onto one of his sailors.

The jump was ...impossible. No man could jump that far, or move that quickly.

Distracted, Marco nearly took a sword to the gut, but deflected it in time, and turned his attention back to the fight in front of him. The two pirates were enthusiastic but relatively untrained, and soon joined their fellow on the deck, bleeding out or dead.

Marco caught his breath, some of his men joining him on the poop deck and keeping the brigands from assaulting the captain directly. He looked out and saw the red-haired pirate grabbing one of his sailors and digging his hands directly into the man’s throat, ripping it out in a spray of blood.

”Dios mio,” he breathed.

“Had enough yet?”

A loud voice from the other ship caught his attention, and Marco saw a lithe, muscular figure standing on the opposite deck, just barely visible in the light from the Esmeralda. His dark hair was pulled back, and his smile was a sinister flash of white.

“I suggest you surrender, captain, or you’ll be killed down to a man. We only want your cargo. There’s no need for further bloodshed.”

:siren: 1. It feels … right to do what this man is saying. What is Capt. Fernandez’s reply?
A. Of course. He tells his men to stand down and cooperate. It’s the only way they’ll get out of this.
B. Something seems off about all this. Try to resist and do not surrender the ship.
C. Try to resist, but still surrender the ship.
D. Something else? Write in.

The priest’s sweaty hand over her mouth, Jeanette could scarcely breathe as he pulled her further into the cabin. She tried to scream, and he shook her roughly, still holding her tight against him.

“Silence, witch!”

Jeanette closed her eyes for a moment, letting her body go limp as he rummaged around the captain’s desk with one hand. Castillo pulled open a drawer, bending over slightly as he looked through it, and she opened her mouth and bit his hand as hard as she could.

The Inquisitor yanked his hand from her teeth, shoving her away as he howled, and Jeanette stumbled across the cabin, trying to keep her feet under her. She could taste iron in her mouth as she ran to the door, nearly crying with relief when it opened easily and she staggered into the narrow passage, Castillo’s curses fading behind her.

Gathering her skirts in both hands, Jeanette could feel her heart nearly bursting out of her chest, and she looked up the passage only to find a tall man standing right in front of her.

He had a kind face and sharp eyes, and he was not dressed like a sailor. Jeanette had no idea if he was another passenger on the ship or not, as she’d been dragged directly to the brig once she’d been brought on board.

“Be calm, little one,” he said, his voice recognizably British, and she immediately relaxed. “I need to see the captain’s quarters. I believe they are right here?”

“Yes,” she replied, more calmly than she could imagine. Part of her was still panicking, but it was small, and growing smaller.

:siren: 2. What should she do?
E. Hold onto that small part of her that’s still trying to engage her fight or flight mode
F. This man is well-dressed and seems polite, no harm in letting him do what he wants. Being calm seems right.
G. Something else: Write in.

Characters in post 2 are being updated, names to come should we learn them.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

C
E

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B They'd kill us anyway. We are godly men and needn't fear the afterlife. Fight the demons and have faith.
G Being captured by pirates is worse than death. Use the calmness. Pretend to be demure and lead the man into an ambush.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
B
G, gently caress it, we're gonna die on this ship if they leave us here. And he does have a kind face. "I'll help you find whatever you want if you kill the man in there *point at the inquisitor room* and take me with you."

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Outrail posted:

B
G, gently caress it, we're gonna die on this ship if they leave us here. And he does have a kind face. "I'll help you find whatever you want if you kill the man in there *point at the inquisitor room* and take me with you."

yes

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Outrail posted:

B

This

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

BE

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

I’m kind of surprised you definitely don’t want Marco to surrender the ship, but okay!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Oh, was Marco supposed to be a secondary character. Whoops.

:unsmigghh:

Outrail fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 27, 2019

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

hollylolly posted:

:siren: 1. It feels … right to do what this man is saying. What is Capt. Fernandez’s reply?

Vote: C. Try to resist, but still surrender the ship.

hollylolly posted:

:siren: 2. What should she do?

Vote: F. This man is well-dressed and seems polite, no harm in letting him do what he wants. Being calm seems right.

Love the premise and the setting, can't wait to see where this goes! Also, your choice of 'casting' is great, I'm already reading lines ala Malkovich and Bardem! (Who's the actor playing Jeanette?)

Also, I hope there is a plan for the obligatory 'Where we're going, we don't need eyes to see' line. :ocelot: :)

hollylolly posted:

I’m kind of surprised you definitely don’t want Marco to surrender the ship, but okay!

Sonofva . . . did we kill off a main character already?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

If he gets killed off in the first big scene he's obviously not a main character. :lol::lol:

BUT - don't read too much into what I said about not surrendering the ship. I definitely didn't say Capt. Fernandez would die if he didn't surrender. I didn't not say it, either. Anything could happen. :cheeky:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

CourValant posted:

Love the premise and the setting, can't wait to see where this goes! Also, your choice of 'casting' is great, I'm already reading lines ala Malkovich and Bardem! (Who's the actor playing Jeanette?)

Also, I hope there is a plan for the obligatory 'Where we're going, we don't need eyes to see' line. :ocelot: :)

Thank you! The actress is Gabrielle Anwar, mostly her appearance in The Three Musketeers (1993?) as the Queen of France. So if I need pics of her being threatened by Tim Curry's Cardinal I've got those too. You know. Just in case.

Sorry for double posting, I'm the worst.

...I'm also not really sorry. :ssh:

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Marco is a devout papist. By resisting the temptations of demons he can still hope for a miracle and trust that an eternal reward awaits him for his piety.

If he thought they were just pirates then things would be different. But they've exhibited supernatural abilities so obviously they are demons.

If they decide he has spunk they can do worse things to him than merely killing him.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

hollylolly posted:

BUT - don't read too much into what I said about not surrendering the ship. I definitely didn't say Capt. Fernandez would die if he didn't surrender. I didn't not say it, either. Anything could happen. :cheeky:

Cool beans. I'm assuming no one has 'plot armor', so, Goon Decisions can and will get prime characters killed?

hollylolly posted:

...I'm also not really sorry. :ssh:

:respek:

malbogio posted:

If they decide he has spunk they can do worse things to him than merely killing him.

'Demon Pirates' capturing a Man-Of-God and debasing him until his faith breaks so that he becomes the very thing he hates is very much a trope of the genre.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

1B
2E

Never give up, never surrender!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Jeanette felt the last bit of panic leave her as the gentleman took her gently by the arm and pulled her around to his side. She was tall for a girl, and he was only a few inches more than she, reaching for the door to the cabin she had just fled.

“Sir,” she said, “Please, I’ll help you find what you’re looking for as long as you kill the man inside this room.”

Beyond the door there was a loud thump and a muffled curse, followed by what sounded like marbles rolling across the wooden floor.

The gentleman looked at her with surprise. “Why do you wish him dead?”

“He is an Inquisitor taking me to Cartagena, to be tried for witchcraft. I am a good Catholic woman, I did not do what he accuses me of.” Despite the almost unnatural calm she was feeling, Jeanette’s eyes welled up with tears.

“Good Catholics do not usually ask for help killing priests,” the gentleman chided. “Stand behind me. I will make sure he does not harm you.” He released her arm and she did as she was told, standing behind him as he pushed open the door into the captain’s quarters.

“Stop right there!” Inquisitor Castillo shouted. He was kneeling on the floor with a flintlock pistol, lead balls rolling around on the deck.

“I say, is everything all right in here?” The gentleman smiled, perhaps genuinely amused at what he was seeing. “Do you need help loading that? There are pirates aboard, after all.”

“I - I do not need assistance, sir,” said Castillo indignantly as he pushed to his feet. “I see you caught the prisoner for me, for that I thank you.” He gave Jeanette a glare, and she should have been frightened. Instead she remained where she was, behind the gentleman who was walking briskly across the cabin to the desk.

“Caught? Ah. Not quite.” The gentleman spared her a glance over his shoulder. “Perhaps you should sit over there, near the door.

Jeanette turned as he directed and took a seat on the wooden floor, as there were no seats where he indicated.

“Well, I - are you part of the crew?” Castillo peered more closely at the gentleman as he reached the desk and began rifling through the logbooks.

“Of course I am,” he said, looking up at meeting the Inquisitor’s eyes. “Hand me that pistol, I’m afraid you’ll injure yourself.”

Castillo looked at the gentleman, and then to the flintlock. “Certainly.” He passed the pistol to the gentleman, who took it and placed it out of reach on the captain’s desk.

Jeanette watched the scene as though she was observing a play, the sounds of chaos beyond the cabin growing louder.

:siren: The vote for Captain Fernandez, #1, is still open for now (not that it matters, B seems to have won handily thus far), also write ins for Jeanette are open if anyone can think of anything interesting you want to try to do

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

hollylolly posted:

Also write ins for Jeanette are open if anyone can think of anything interesting you want to try to do[/b]

"Sir, where are my manners??! In all this excitement, I do believe that I've forgotten myself, and, it would seem you do have me at quite the disadvantage. Jeanette Vignes, my father is a merchant of some repute in the Caribbean, and, it is indeed a pleasure to have made your acquaintance, even if it is in such an unconventional manner."

Jeanette is a spoiled rich French Brat living in the 'West Indies', time for some social combat.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

CourValant posted:

"Sir, where are my manners??! In all this excitement, I do believe that I've forgotten myself, and, it would seem you do have me at quite the disadvantage. Jeanette Vignes, my father is a merchant of some repute in the Caribbean, and, it is indeed a pleasure to have made your acquaintance, even if it is in such an unconventional manner."

Jeanette is a spoiled rich French Brat living in the 'West Indies', time for some social combat.

i like this. she's unmarried in her 20s in the 18th century so spoiled or not she must have some guile and wit to her. the clumsy request for priest murder was weird, but this lets us explain it as a response borne of panic and fear, and now that she's calming down she's remembering her toolkit and... pullstarting the charm generator? im not good with metaphor

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

OMGVBFLOL posted:

. . . pullstarting the charm generator.

/snicker :heysexy: :respek: :ocelot: :)

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

CourValant posted:

Uh, This.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

The more time the gentleman spent rummaging in the desk, the less she felt compelled to stay where she was at. Still, it wouldn’t hurt to stay where she was, and as far from Castillo as possible. The inquisitor was still standing at the side of the captain’s desk, his expression vacant.

Jeanette cleared her throat, trying to remember her courtesies. In her earlier panic all propriety had gone completely out of her mind, but her best defense would always be her polite upbringing.

"Sir, where are my manners?! In all this excitement I have quite forgotten myself, and, it would seem you do have me at quite the disadvantage.”

The gentleman walked around the desk and sat, pulling a map clear of the pile of papers he had created as he looked up at her, a half smile on his face. She could feel her heartbeat starting to race once more, but continued on with her introductions as gamely as possible.

“I am Jeanette Vignes, my father is a merchant of some repute in the Caribbean, and, it is indeed a pleasure to have made your acquaintance, even if it is in such an unconventional manner."

He did smile then, whether from amusement or simple politeness she could not tell.

“Manners are indeed important. They’re all that separate us from the animals.” He paused, and his smile grew wider. “I am pleased to meet you, Miss Vignes. I am Thaddeus Petalas.”

He rolled up the map in his hands, and tucked a logbook under his arm. “I am afraid I don’t have much time for small talk. My companions will be waiting for me.”

“Companions, sir?” Jeanette was confused. “Did the captain send you to retrieve something for him?” Perhaps Mr. Petalas was the first mate, or someone else of authority on board.

My captain did, certainly.” He winked at her jovially, and she narrowed her eyes as he walked toward her again, only to head straight for the door. “We will not be here long, do not trouble yourself. I’m sure the captain of this ship has already seen the good sense in surrendering, and we will be on our way shortly.”

Behind him, Castillo was beginning to stir out of whatever stupor he’d fallen into, and Jeanette found herself able to get to her feet. She pulled herself up off the floor and reached out toward Petalas, who, if he was with the pirates, did not seem like any pirate she’d ever heard of.

“Please, sir, are you intending to leave me here? I beg of you, on your honor as a gentleman, take me with you. I will surely die here.”

He paused, hand on the door, the distant shouts from the upper deck filtering in through the wooden walls of the cabin.

“It would not be safe,” he said, looking at her intently, as if he were staring into her soul.

:siren: Her reply:
A.
“My father has money. He will pay handsomely for my return.”
B. “I would prefer the company of pirates to that of the Holy Office of the Inquisition.”
C. “It is not safe anywhere, sir, but I can take care of myself. Current situation notwithstanding.”
D. Something else, write in.

We will return to Captain Fernandez and his “never surrender!” attitude, next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

C