Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

sunken fleet posted:

So am I supposed to be hardcasting flare for 4 seconds a cast? Is that optimal? Because it feels kind of icky

If you want you can just Thunder and spam freeze as your aoe till you get triplecast, no one is going to care about your optimised damage on leveling dungeon trash, you can just worry about it later when you get the necessary actions and traits needed to insta Flare a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

If you want you can just Thunder and spam freeze as your aoe till you get triplecast, no one is going to care about your optimised damage on leveling dungeon trash, you can just worry about it later when you get the necessary actions and traits needed to insta Flare a bunch.

I wouldn't do this, tbh. Not using Flare leaves a lot of damage on the table, and you should really get used to the AoE rotation sooner rather than later. Flare is still the spell to cast in AoE, even if it takes 4 seconds to cast.

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
And it looks/sounds fuckin awesome

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
There's also a 16 level gap between learning Flare and Triplecast, so.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Quadquickflare is mana of the gods. Do it whenever you can.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

If you really, really hate the 4 second cast time on Flare, then I don't think you are going to like the class when you get Fire IV, which has a 2.8s cast that is slightly longer than the normal GCD. Maybe try out Red Mage? It starts you off at 50, and is much more mobile and flexible than BLM. You even get a raise!

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
And a Cure that heals you for more than 700 HP at lv80. (Looking at you, SMN Physick.)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

BLM is the turret job, long cast times with massive raw power becomes their whole deal. They have a lot of offensive damage but there are fairly strict opportunities to move and use ogcds (especially without clipping by a hair).

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Roluth posted:

If you really, really hate the 4 second cast time on Flare, then I don't think you are going to like the class when you get Fire IV, which has a 2.8s cast that is slightly longer than the normal GCD. Maybe try out Red Mage? It starts you off at 50, and is much more mobile and flexible than BLM. You even get a raise!

I wouldn't say I hate it. It just feels like I'm doing something wrong somehow? Since the max ice stacks reduce the fire spell cast time, I just had this wrong intuitive first impression like I should somehow be able to use that in conjunction with flare, but it seems that isn't the case.

Bit confusing for me, but I'm sure I'll be able to get used to it. I really do enjoy the whole black mage aesthetic overall.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CYBEReris posted:

BLM is the turret job, long cast times with massive raw power becomes their whole deal. They have a lot of offensive damage but there are fairly strict opportunities to move and use ogcds (especially without clipping by a hair).

Aetherial Manipulation, Between the Lines, Triplecast, Sharpcast, and Xenoglossy do eventually free you up quite a bit. TBH, I find Red Mages less usefully mobile at high levels thanks to their relatively rigid cast-instant rotation and their melee nuke combo.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

BLM rotation becomes more intuitive as you go up in the levels IMO, especially once you unlock Umbral Hearts.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

sunken fleet posted:

I wouldn't say I hate it. It just feels like I'm doing something wrong somehow? Since the max ice stacks reduce the fire spell cast time, I just had this wrong intuitive first impression like I should somehow be able to use that in conjunction with flare, but it seems that isn't the case.

Bit confusing for me, but I'm sure I'll be able to get used to it. I really do enjoy the whole black mage aesthetic overall.

Once you get that umbral heart bonus you get more damage out of transitioning from ice to fire with flare when there are more than 5 targets, so you're on the right track of thinking

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
The long cast on Flare does mean that using Swiftcast/Triplecast with it feels badass every time, though.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
There are some synced-down dungeons where you're just plain not going to have the time to get your Flare cast off before the entire pack has died. That's when I find it feels the worst to be hard casting. When things live a little longer, it feels somewhat better!

Swiftcast/Triplecast makes it feel absolutely amazing though, can confirm.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

when i leveled blm i just ended up alternating freeze-flare at those mid-levels before you get all the tools. i tried the full aoe rotation with fire 2s and i was always getting the flare off when like 2 things were still alive at slivers

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Being kicked for being offline doesn't result in a penalty, but being kicked for other reasons does.

This is absolutely not true.

Source: I've been kicked from a lot of dungeons because I'm a huge rear end in a top hat, and they definitely didn't use "offline" as the reason every single time. I've never had a time where I couldn't immediately requeue, sometimes even into the exact same party that kicked me (before they fixed that).

It would be incredibly abusable if it was true, anyway. All it would take is two people wanting to be dicks to lock an innocent person out of dungeons for half an hour.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Earthly star is extremely cool and good

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Fister Roboto posted:

This is absolutely not true.

Source: I've been kicked from a lot of dungeons because I'm a huge rear end in a top hat, and they definitely didn't use "offline" as the reason every single time. I've never had a time where I couldn't immediately requeue, sometimes even into the exact same party that kicked me (before they fixed that).

It would be incredibly abusable if it was true, anyway. All it would take is two people wanting to be dicks to lock an innocent person out of dungeons for half an hour.

what the hell did you do to get kicked out of multiple dungeons that didn't eventually result in a ban?

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

For the most part, unless it's very obviously a harassment related kick (including racism/sexism/hate speech/etc) with a follow-up GM call after the kick, GMs basically do nothing about kicks because they land under conflicting playstyles which isn't really against the ToS. That said, the wrong set of players at the wrong time will kick you for the tiniest, pettiest poo poo, including giving a player general feedback on how to improve at playing at their job (even if it's well constructed feedback), winning a roll on a piece of loot another person wanted, calling out the other player that is obviously trying to AFK through an instance, etc. Or you get the duty finder power couple with two characters with the same last name and if you even slightly offend either of them for any reason they'll pass a vote kick and there's nothing you can do about it. Hell, sometimes you'll queue into a DF instance with a pre-made who will boot you near the end to make room for a friend to queue in-progress.

Situations like this are incredibly rare, but play long enough (and step on enough toes, even politely) and you'll run into a few situations like that.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

blatman posted:

what the hell did you do to get kicked out of multiple dungeons that didn't eventually result in a ban?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Macaluso posted:

Shadowbringers spoiler regarding Y'shtola: You expect me to believe possibly-second-best girl Y'shtola didn't survive that fall? Not this time Yoshi Man :colbert:

Right before 5.3 came out Yoshida said in an articule "just because a character is popular doesn't mean they are immune from death!" However Y'shtola has pulled this poo poo twice now and she's already the most popular character that they use for cross game promotion so i don't think she's going anywhere

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Even as a Y'shtola fan, or stan as the cool kids call it these days, even I rolled my eyes at that.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
someone doesn't know what a rush flowing gives you. that aetherhound can't get enough of it

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I love blms aesthetic and style but I cannot ever manage to play it even half decent and that makes me sad. My orblike, perfectly smooth brain can only mch and war

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

MCH and WAR have button that make big exclamation mark number happen hehehehe

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Kitfox88 posted:

I love blms aesthetic and style but I cannot ever manage to play it even half decent and that makes me sad. My orblike, perfectly smooth brain can only mch and war

i'm in the same boat (dnc rdm and whm for my jobs) so logically the first tank I leveled was gnb

not a good choice in retrospect

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I love Emet-Selch so much. He's such a loving poo poo head

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

MCH and WAR have button that make big exclamation mark number happen hehehehe

Macaluso posted:

I love Emet-Selch so much. He's such a loving poo poo head

:hmmyes:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Stormblood:
https://twitter.com/PAMaster2/status/1042628474383425541

Shadowbringers:
https://twitter.com/TibbettXiv/status/1258941329142251521

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i am apparently finishing all 3 shadowbringers beast tribes today and i am already loving crying at the end of the pixie one

it's so pretty :negative:

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

tithin posted:

On a related note, I can't not hear the stormblood "quest complete" jingle sing "advance australia fair"

Glad I'm not the only person who heard that from it.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

The Shame Boy posted:

Right before 5.3 came out Yoshida said in an articule "just because a character is popular doesn't mean they are immune from death!" However Y'shtola has pulled this poo poo twice now and she's already the most popular character that they use for cross game promotion so i don't think she's going anywhere

Still haven't reached the end of 5.3 yet but I expected Emet to have tweaked Y'shtola's behavior somehow when he pulled her from the Flow so she'd betray us eventually that'd have been devious as poo poo

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

i am apparently finishing all 3 shadowbringers beast tribes today and i am already loving crying at the end of the pixie one

They’re all really heart touching

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kerrzhe posted:

The theme is really good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8-k6-0-k3k

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

got all three tribe mounts :toot:

are the allied quests in yet? or do i need to get them all to the next rep level or something

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kerrzhe posted:

got all three tribe mounts :toot:

are the allied quests in yet? or do i need to get them all to the next rep level or something

You will ultimately need them all bloodsworn for the ally quest, but it's not out yet anyway

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah I think Allied quests usually come in the x.55 patch?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

👀💦💦💦

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

blatman posted:

What Avelyn said, votekicks never get sent to GMs despite what some people say. You have to specifically report someone to a GM, and as far as I'm aware, nobody has ever reported me in seven years of play.

As far as what I'm doing, sometimes it's just things that aren't normally expected in group content. Like pulling ahead of the tank or ignoring certain mechanics. Back when protect was still a thing I used to get kicked a lot for not casting it, which was funny. I've definitely been kicked for dpsing as a healer back when that wasn't as much the norm. One time I got kicked for not passing on an item drop, which is also the only time I've reported someone after a votekick. I never verbally harass anyone though, anyone who has partied with me can tell you that I'm very polite in dungeons, even to the worst players :angel:

But yeah, you can votekick anyone for literally any reason, and unless they have fairly solid proof that it was done maliciously (like say, chat logs where you threaten to kick them for rolling on loot), the GMs aren't gonna do poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Macaluso posted:

👀💦💦💦