Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajL5szRPBGs

Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story is a phone game similar to Fate: Grand Order but in the universe of the madoka series.

What is the Madoka series?
Madoka was an anime in which a cute Eldritch Abomination named Kyubey goes around recruiting magical girls by granting them whatever wish they desire. But then they are given a Soul Gem, which requires them to fight witches and become a Magical Girl. Also, fall into despair and become said witches. There is more to the anime, but this is pretty much the relevant info for right now.

What's the story for this game?
Iroha Tamaki is a magical girl who came to the mysterious Kamihama City to find out why she is having some strange dreams. Thanks to a tiny Kyubey (That's us) she is able to remember her lost sister Ui, and so she joins the fight in Kamihama to find her, with the help of the local magical girls (And some framiliar faces).

What's the difference between this and FGO?
*Fight in teams of up to 5, instead of three
*Blast, the Buster equivalent, is an attack that hits enemies either vertically or horizontally. (Similar to FGO, Blast is considered dominant)
*Charge, the Quick equivalent, charges your MP gauge faster (The arts equivalent is the same as FGO)
*While there are Magias (Think Noble Phantasm), some girls also have dopple attacks, where they attack using their witch form
*There is a Pity System where you are guaranteed a 4 Star (Highest Summonable) girl after 100 pulls. Like in Fire Emblem heroes, it resets if you get a 4 star beforehand. There are many who recommend waiting until you have enough gems for 100 pulls before pulling (2500 gems).
*Auto and PVP (I hear it's not that bad..?)

Any characters from the anime?
Right now there's just Main Character Madoka, and Mami, who has a good head on her. He-yo! Homura (With Glasses) is a Pre-Registration gift (Look in the shop to get her). Eventually, all of the main girls from the anime will be summonable.

Anyway, I figured this game might be worth the goon investment, and didn't see a thread, so here we go.

Subreddit
Wiki

The man called M fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
You can't even spell Mami's name right, FOR SHAME OP.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Cuntellectual posted:

You can't even spell Mami's name right, FOR SHAME OP.

Fixed. Perhaps I got too far ahead. Hey-yo!

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Hello, it’s me, the person who is a sucker for mobile games based off anime I like. Spent far to much time rerolling accounts until the game finally gave me Mami, much as I love Aoi Yuuki and Madoka, Mami is just one of my big favorites.

Here’s my player ID for anyone looking for friends thMQHNtS

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I'm trying this out for the story mostly. I don't know if I can play another gacha regularly, but the story seems pretty good from the start. I rerolled and got Rena, which probably obligates me to play an Arts team in this game too.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Myriad Truths posted:

I'm trying this out for the story mostly. I don't know if I can play another gacha regularly, but the story seems pretty good from the start. I rerolled and got Rena, which probably obligates me to play an Arts team in this game too.

Not exactly sure if it's more viable to build teams by disk layout or element.

Also, I've seen it stressed quite a few times, if you build your favorite girl well, they will take you far. There are a few tier lists i've seen where the top tier chararacter is "Whoever your favorite is".

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
https://youtu.be/0C7kdibpBpA

Kyouko rate up coming on 7/2

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Myriad Truths, official word from Reddit is that for now, any team is viable. But later, when better memorias come out, it is more viable to either have a burst team, mono-element, or a team of your strongest girls (At least in terms of Mirrors/PVP).

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
R.I.P. did a couple pulls on Kyouko’s banner and didn’t get her. Back to saving for the future Monogatari crossover event

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I rolled Madoka on her banner as well, she and Rena should be good friends, along with their fellow friend, other Madoka. Need to collect their ascension mats though.

Now I will save eight or so months until the shopkeep is playable.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Myriad Truths posted:

I rolled Madoka on her banner as well, she and Rena should be good friends, along with their fellow friend, other Madoka. Need to collect their ascension mats though.

Now I will save eight or so months until the shopkeep is playable.

Get a lot of Madoka friends. Word is if you want to do an Accel team, Double Doka is the way to go.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Being a big Madoka fan, I started playing this, as if I wasn't already playing enough mobile games. Took most of the free gems I got up until now (including playing almost through chapter 3), but I finally got Madoka off of her banner. I hear there's a Nanoha collab eventually, which I'll be saving for. Production values seem good, and the story is also good so far.

Fights seem pretty similar to FGO, but it took me a bit to realize the blast cards can have randomly different orientations. I tried a bit of mirror pvp, and it seems like strategy is mainly important if the teams are pretty close to the same levels, otherwise higher levels are going to win most of the time. I've barely done any grinding so far, so nobody's above level 15 yet.

I do like Iroha changing her home screen lines based on the time of day, though I feel a bit attacked when she points out how late it is.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
You should try to grind the Mitama Trainings, they're significantly better sources of character EXP (and episode EXP) than the alternatives while they're up, as well as having good rewards. A friend support lvl 80 Mami can solo the current one.

Also there is a Nanoha collab, but it only just appeared in JP, so it's about two years off.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
When did/will the launch event window stuff end?

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
The launch banners will end 7/8 at 3 AM. The release celebration login bonuses go up to the 9th. Not sure if that answers your question fully.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Myriad Truths posted:

The launch banners will end 7/8 at 3 AM. The release celebration login bonuses go up to the 9th. Not sure if that answers your question fully.

IIRC there was an outfit for Iroha and you could get a welfare Homura? I've been really busy IRL for the last couple of weeks so I haven't been able to check.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Cuntellectual posted:

IIRC there was an outfit for Iroha and you could get a welfare Homura? I've been really busy IRL for the last couple of weeks so I haven't been able to check.

Check the shop for Homura. The "Cool version" will come later.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Nothing's cooler than beating up monsters with a golf club.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Schubalts posted:

Nothing's cooler than beating up monsters with a golf club.

Let me rephrase that.

The "One from most of the show" will come later.

There are rumors (heh) that the devil version will be the aniversary character in JP, to go alongside the previous one, Ultimate Madoka.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So I'm new to gacha titles. I guess I have a couple of questions as I start:
- Is my XP being spread over all the people in a fight, or is it just "everyone there gets X amount"? Should I be bringing more people to level a group or less so they power up faster?
- Should I be spending my AP on story first or all the training stuff and side stories?
- Is there anything I should be doing/avoiding with Memoria? I kind of get the sense 1 stars and minions are just to be fed to other ones, but at what point do I just go "all XP and gems go to 3/4 stars only?"
And I guess are there any other new guy pitfalls I should avoid.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

END ME SCOOB posted:

So I'm new to gacha titles. I guess I have a couple of questions as I start:
- Is my XP being spread over all the people in a fight, or is it just "everyone there gets X amount"? Should I be bringing more people to level a group or less so they power up faster?
- Should I be spending my AP on story first or all the training stuff and side stories?
- Is there anything I should be doing/avoiding with Memoria? I kind of get the sense 1 stars and minions are just to be fed to other ones, but at what point do I just go "all XP and gems go to 3/4 stars only?"
And I guess are there any other new guy pitfalls I should avoid.

-Flat EXP for everyone involved. Some missions are "beat with 3 or less magical girls" and generally quests are easier with a more compact team because your best units get more discs and puella combos are easier, but to maximize XP yes bring as many people as you can
-You should spend it on story first, because Mirrors (the PvP) uses BP instead of AP, BP constantly regenerates like AP, and mirrors is blocked off by story progress, so in order to not "waste" BP you should advance the story so that you can not get blocked off from doing mirrors. Losing in mirrors doesn't cost anything except BP and you still get a (smaller) reward, so don't worry if you don't think you can win mirrors fights.
-Generally, a lot of the low rank ones are particularly worthwhile, but for PvE magia gain stuff can be very good on some units, and for PvP anything with fog/evade/counter is pretty valuable. Actives tend to be bad in PvP because they start at half cooldown and PvP matches end quickly.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

The man called M posted:

Check the shop for Homura. The "Cool version" will come later.

I thought there was something for Iroha too, but maybe I was wrong. I was too busy to reroll but I got insanely lucky on my first roll. :toot:

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Cuntellectual posted:

I thought there was something for Iroha too, but maybe I was wrong. I was too busy to reroll but I got insanely lucky on my first roll. :toot:

There’s a swimsuit skin for her. Costs about 10 medals.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Azalea event starting up Tuesday, it looks like, along with the second half of chapter 4 (not that anyone will do it then). Pace is definitely fast, but I've been able to manage.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
For anyone not in the know, the 5 AP azalea missions are the most efficient farm. They don't have a 100% droprate though.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Apologies for not updating the thread. The newest event had the game's equivilent of Jalter. For any Goons still playing, did you manage to get Darc? I had to reroll to get her.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I gave it a shot but no luck. I mostly just had rolls from logging in as opposed to actually doing stuff. :effort:

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I got 2 copies of Darc in ~125ish rolls. But I know there's at least a couple people from the goon fgo discord that 4 slotted her

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's me, I'm the lucker that 4 slotted her in 110 rolls. Or 120, I forgot.
(Got her once in the 3rd 10roll, then got two more plus bonus Mami in the 6th or 7th. And then after getting some more gems I felt like rolling some more and ended up with the last copy)

emormu
Jan 16, 2012
I whaled and 4-slotted her. It took 360-370 pulls. Thankfully no spooks in the process, but got to pity 3 times.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

this game is really fun and the monthly payment equivalent thing in this game actually seems worth it assuming you enjoy playing it

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 7, 2019

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Ah yes, this thread. I've still been playing and enjoying this game. The Halloween Theater event is expected to come right after Cross Connection, with some good memoria coming along with it. And I'm looking forward to rolling on Mitama, who must not be long afterward.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

There have been complaints that the pacing going too fast in this game (Compared to games such as FGO). How are you guys handling the pacing?

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I'm fine with it, the pace works well for me. I find Mitama Trainings the best time to catch up, since they aren't too tough to grind through quickly.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I would be okay with it but the events feel way too bloated

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
I played for a while but got burnt out on all the week-long back-to-back events fast.

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

I hate the pacing but at least the game dumps piles of pots on you.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

The man called M posted:

There have been complaints that the pacing going too fast in this game (Compared to games such as FGO). How are you guys handling the pacing?

The pacing sucks tremendous rear end.

I feel like magireco wants to be my main phonegame, and it is not.

Basically I've been story clearing events, and farming out ~1/2 of the shop. I haven't had a new mahou hit 100 since like, pre azaleas.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Squiddycat posted:

I would be okay with it but the events feel way too bloated

Yeah, every event has 10+ more missions than it feels like it needs. The fact that fights aren't actually part of the story just further drives home how easily they could combine tons of nodes without it changing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

LibrarianCroaker posted:

The pacing sucks tremendous rear end.

I feel like magireco wants to be my main phonegame, and it is not.

Simply out of the interests of my own curiosity, what is your main phone game?