Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Or those huge SUVs everyone drives now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I come to a full and complete stop at every stop sign.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

TheMaskedUgly posted:

How do you determine a 'kind' seeming car?

no audis

holy gently caress audi drivers make bmw ones look good and kind

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Around here Maseratis are quickly replacing BMWs as the nouveau riche douchebag car of choice.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arrhythmia posted:

I come to a full and complete stop at every stop sign.

But don't signal.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

But don't signal.

NEVER telegraph your next move to your enemies (all other drivers)!

DemonToadGoat
Jan 12, 2015

TheMaskedUgly posted:

How do you determine a 'kind' seeming car?

We call it, Auto body language.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
How can I increase the 'kind seeming' factor on my vehicle, so I can optimise my commute?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

TheMaskedUgly posted:

How can I increase the 'kind seeming' factor on my vehicle, so I can optimise my commute?

Buy a Miata with pop-up headlights. Lights always on. It's so happy!

I was behind someone a few days ago. They're going 40 in a 55. 2 lane with oncoming traffic so I'm stuck. When it drops to 35 and starts being twisty and hilly they stand on it and go 50+.

:iiam:

Also gently caress everyone who pays zero attention till you pass them and then act like it's the last lap and they're in second. Once in the lead back to their phone.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Xaris posted:

holy gently caress audi drivers make bmw ones look good and kind

I have never understood how Audi drivers are consistently douchebags but sure enough every time I encounter one in traffic, they tend to be the worst drivers

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the most obnoxious drivers ive seen based on make/brand are tesla drivers in the bay area. by far. however tesla drivers in other places, while rare, dont seem to have the same obnoxious behavior. in amsterdam a lot of the taxi's are teslas.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah Teslas around here (NJ) seem to be driven mostly by middle-aged businessmen who don't realize how ridiculous an electric motor can be on acceleration. I'll often see them parked across more than 1 spot in the very back of a parking lot though, so people seem to still be ultra-protective of them.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
You gotta be a real piece of poo poo to buy a german car

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Its Lexus drivers who are the worst actually.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The very worst slow drivers are the ones who drive down slip roads at 40-50 mph when the traffic already on the motorway is doing 70+. I loving hate that lazy complacency that existing traffic is just supposed to take evasive action so that you can trundle out blindly onto the motorway, move into your chosen lane, then accelerate up to the proper speed in your own sweet time.

I've even seen oldies treat the slip road like it's a t-junction and come to a full stop at the end, where they crane their necks looking for a space to pull out into while traffic blasts past them at 70mph.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
God, I HATE getting stuck behind people like that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What the hell is a slip road? You mean the acceleration lane?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
eh guvna what's a slip lane ye arseholed barmy

also what's worse is in the states some of the onramps in the US actually have a stop sign at the end, or they did last time I went up to NY

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's the short stretch that you drive down when you're passing from a smaller, slower road to a bigger, faster road. In the UK we call them slip roads and in the UK (at least), drivers are supposed to use them to accelerate up to motorway speeds and then smoothly slot themselves into the existing traffic.

However, a significant minority of the population (old people) don't understand this and instead just slowly drive out, expecting the existing traffic to make way for them.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's the short stretch that you drive down when you're passing from a smaller, slower road to a bigger, faster road. In the UK we call them slip roads and in the UK (at least), drivers are supposed to use them to accelerate up to motorway speeds and then smoothly slot themselves into the existing traffic.

However, a significant minority of the population (old people) don't understand this and instead just slowly drive out, expecting the existing traffic to make way for them.

So an on ramp.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Yeah, those old people who slam on the brakes right as the on ramp merges with the highway are super duper my absolute favourite people in the world.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
*person who cut in line at the toll plaza can't find enough change and gets told to "get his poo poo together" by the driver behind*

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Why is this guy suddenly coming to a full stop in the middle of the road? *guy suddenly signals as he makes his turn at 3 MPH*

Oh you're turning, if only you had SIGNALLED with your TURN SIGNAL your intent to TURN you goddamned mother fucker.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
slaw dog

take it easy

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

thatguy posted:

eh guvna what's a slip lane ye arseholed barmy

also what's worse is in the states some of the onramps in the US actually have a stop sign at the end, or they did last time I went up to NY

Seattle has stop lights at the end of the on ramp

From what I understand it’s supposed to keep the traffic back up on the on ramp and not the freeway

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 4, 2020

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

My Linux Rig posted:

From what I understand it’s supposed to keep the traffic back up on the on ramp and not the freeway

Doubles as a drag race light if there's a merge.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I definitely do not miss driving in Seattle.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

So it actively encourages people to join a fast moving freeway from a stationary position? That seems bizarre and dangerous.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Dell_Zincht posted:

So it actively encourages people to join a fast moving freeway from a stationary position? That seems bizarre and dangerous.

Well you’ll either have that or a single jammed lane with people trying to merge out of it from a complete stop into a 70 mph lane so idk pick your poison I guess

Also, the stop light isn’t right there where you merge, it’s half way up the on ramp. You’ll have plenty of room to accelerate

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I drive fast. My car is fast and tuned for extra speed, which comes in handy on the days where just regular fast won't cut it. If my car is going slow then I am sad and if my car is in the shop then I rent an airbnb across the street and use a telescopic lens to make sure the mechanics aren't loving with my car to reduce the speed. I can name all of the makes and models of the fastest cars and I've jerked off in a Ferrari dealership's bathroom. My favorite song is Fast Car

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

house of the dad posted:

I drive fast. My car is fast and tuned for extra speed, which comes in handy on the days where just regular fast won't cut it. If my car is going slow then I am sad and if my car is in the shop then I rent an airbnb across the street and use a telescopic lens to make sure the mechanics aren't loving with my car to reduce the speed. I can name all of the makes and models of the fastest cars and I've jerked off in a Ferrari dealership's bathroom. My favorite song is Fast Car

Is it also your favorite song?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Pistol_Pete posted:

The very worst slow drivers are the ones who drive down slip roads at 40-50 mph when the traffic already on the motorway is doing 70+. I loving hate that lazy complacency that existing traffic is just supposed to take evasive action so that you can trundle out blindly onto the motorway, move into your chosen lane, then accelerate up to the proper speed in your own sweet time.

I've even seen oldies treat the slip road like it's a t-junction and come to a full stop at the end, where they crane their necks looking for a space to pull out into while traffic blasts past them at 70mph.

gently caress these people and gently caress middle lane hoggers.

Whats even worse are slow drivers who suddenly speed up when you go to overtake them. Most don't seem to do it deliberately and drop back as soon as they realise but a lot of people out there seem to really really hate being overtaken.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Lord Ludikrous posted:

gently caress these people and gently caress middle lane hoggers.

Whats even worse are slow drivers who suddenly speed up when you go to overtake them. Most don't seem to do it deliberately and drop back as soon as they realise but a lot of people out there seem to really really hate being overtaken.

I notice myself doing it and have to consciously stop, I drive an old truck with no cruise control so a lot of the time I just cruise with traffic and my natural inclination is to just tool along at 55 if there isn't much traffic around me. When somebody passes me I realize I can go faster and touch the gas.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Hi I'm thirty two and finally stopped letting my anxiety control me and started driving a week ago. I got my license back in October but it took me a while to save enough for a decent car. After a week of driving in Seattle, just a seven mile commute to work, I've already noticed how awful people generally are. Having someone take ten seconds to start moving when a light turns green, people suddenly going to a near stop in the middle of a turn for some reason, and no one uses their turn signal.

Anyway I'm generally driving at the speed limit because that's what the flow of traffic tends to be during my commute time, if not slower. I hope to not inconvenience any of you and I'll do my best to not be a slow driver and just be a safe driver.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Hi I'm thirty two and finally stopped letting my anxiety control me and started driving a week ago. I got my license back in October but it took me a while to save enough for a decent car. After a week of driving in Seattle, just a seven mile commute to work, I've already noticed how awful people generally are. Having someone take ten seconds to start moving when a light turns green, people suddenly going to a near stop in the middle of a turn for some reason, and no one uses their turn signal.

Anyway I'm generally driving at the speed limit because that's what the flow of traffic tends to be during my commute time, if not slower. I hope to not inconvenience any of you and I'll do my best to not be a slow driver and just be a safe driver.

If you're driving at the speed limit that's fine.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I stopped at a red light once which supremely upset the driver of an SUV behind me, who laid on their horn. I proceeded to drive 20mph down a 40mph street laughing the whole time. They drove up onto the sidewalk to pass me and were promptly pulled over by a cop who was sitting hidden in the driveway to a gas station or some poo poo.

Probably the only time I've ever intentionally driven slow. Wish I had my dashcam back then, I could be youtube famous by now with that kinda footage

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dell_Zincht posted:

there are situations like that all over the country, it depends on the freeway and the geography.

the freeway closest to me, the 110 in California, was the first freeway in the country, originally designed for cars going like 40 mph and never really redesigned in spite of cars going a lot faster now. all of the entrances in my neighborhood have stop signs and instead of being a normal ramp it's more like a 90 degree angle, and the traffic is usually coming at 60-70 mph and often hard to see coming because of the angle, and there is barely any merge lane. its really hosed up!

however there are a lot of other places with proper onramps where there is a light halfway down the ramp. these are usually only active at high traffic times, and it makes sense because they are just there to limit the flow onto the freeway. its not dangerous because the freeway traffic is usually slow during those times and you are given plenty of room to speed up if necessary anyway

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 7, 2019

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
speaking of old freeways that need to be redesigned, the US-50/I-80 Business Loop interchange in Sacramento is God loving awful. Theres like three lanes that merge on at the same time theres a few offramps to midtown and downtown or to I-5 etc so if you're there between 8 am and 6 PM at basically any time you'll almost certainly be in a lane going 70 trying to merge into one going 15 or the other way around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Earwicker posted:

there are situations like that all over the country, it depends on the freeway and the geography.

Pretty much this. If you go to Arizona, there are stoplights at the beginning of the on-ramps which help traffic merge, and they are awesome. Or you can go to Pennsylvania which has STOP SIGNS at the END of its on-ramps which is actually the dumbest civil engineering I have ever seen in my entire life.