Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Isaac posted:

Does america not have speed cameras
generally, no. in fact, california state law straight up bans them.

i think the problem with them is that people just memorize where they are and then slow down and then back to business, but imo i think theres a lot of school zoned-areas and local streets that could benefit from them because theres way too many angry hemmerhoided commuters that just follow waze or w/e and blow through city streets here in hoping of shaving 2 minutes off their commute instead of sticking to the freeway. might not help for locals in the know, but catching the occasional dipshit commuter who doesn't know the lay of the land is good enough of a start

i dont think they make any sense for freeways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Jose Oquendo posted:

I hate to preface it with this, but John Oliver discussed these on his show. They're run by a 3rd party so it's just a huge money making scam. When you get the ticket, it's not even from the police. It's from that 3rd party who setup the cameras. You even mail them the check, not the police. I'm glad some states and municipalities are banning them.

yeah the issue is that a lot of these are just operated by some lovely for-profit companies. if they were installed and operated by the state/municipality then that would be fine, but the ~grifting and bribing~ potential for politicians would be a lot less so that's no go

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Peanut President posted:

I get slow cars on a highway can be annoying, so i usually go back roads. I don't know what's happened to the perfectly good 4 lane highway that I'm paralleling but I keep getting cars flying by me while I'm running 45 in a 40.

Like, run 100 on a highway idgaf but running more than 50 on a 2 lane rural road should be grounds for having your license taken away. Example: some loving moron was cruising at 70 over a blind hill and blind corner, passing a car doing the speed limit and plowed into someone head on and killed her. In summation

lmao, that sucks. yeah rural/back roads can be loving crazy as poo poo and no one respects them as much as they should. often filled with drunk drivers n poo poo too at night.

i was doing some work at a very large dam reconstruction project for 2 years on/off, and it required a long windy rural road to get to. it was fine in the morning because the freeway itself was not that congested to make it worth it, but in the afternoon you'd have a bunch of rear end in a top hat bmw sportscar people taking it to avoid traffic on 680 bc waze told them it was 3 minutes faster--and it probably was a little faster if you speed like gently caress down it. except theres a whole bunch of construction trucks, blind corners and no shoulder. i would still go 5-10+ more than the speed limit there and constantly get tail-gated by white boombers in porches that try to fly around you at 70. pretty much everyone on the project hated commuting back home and all had the same complaints with just entitled rear end in a top hat white baby boomers with more money than sense. more than once the dam owner paid CHP to work overtime work to sit there and get people and they'd make some beaucoup bucks and tag them which helped for a few weeks and then back to business as usual.

at least for some sweet karma, in my time there, there were at least 5 major crashes with cars plowing off over the side because they were going too fast around a blind corner and flew off, as well as a couple head-on collisions with trucks and the sportcars got crumpled. :feelsgood:

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 1, 2019

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I do whatever the prevailing speed is, but when that's 15+ over I start getting antsy about it. I don't want to die, and I don't want to deal with cops or pay a ticket.

Buuuut... There's also one stretch of freeway here where the 65 randomly becomes a 55 for about two miles. Which is perpetually marked as construction. And construction penalties apply here even if construction isn't actively being done and/or workers aren't even present. I've never seen a trap being run there, and the 55 gets completely ignored. But I swear to god, I'll be the one to get hit the one day it's not.

eh, as long as you aren't the last one clearly visible in the line of cars going with the flow, or the first leading the flow, or a bright banana-yellow-eye sore car, you'll be fine. i've never seen anyone just randomly pulled over in between a block of cars for going the flow

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Chinatown posted:

i pass on the right all the time because my freeways have at minimum 4 lanes in each direction

bitch!!!
ya :ca: owns a lot of the time the right lane is faster so you can zoom up that for awhile then switch over if theres a wave of merging traffic or w/e. after awhile you know p much the flow and when and where places you want to be

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Burt Sexual posted:

I really wonder why dash cams are not stock equipment on new cars.

Things are only added if they're required or can sell a premium package, or its just a hot selling point. They're still pretty niche in America and most people don't have one, or udnerstand the point in having one. That said, they're really cheap for a good one so yeah they should just build em into the dash, but again, it istself is probably not gunna drive any says the way things like back-up camera or side-collision assist and stuff does.

I think US insurance companies should do the way they do it in Europe/Russia/et. al where they offer a discount or require one. Even if it was like $15 a year off Geico or something, that'd be nice because I already have one.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

TheMaskedUgly posted:

How do you determine a 'kind' seeming car?

no audis

holy gently caress audi drivers make bmw ones look good and kind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Larry Parrish posted:

speaking of old freeways that need to be redesigned, the US-50/I-80 Business Loop interchange in Sacramento is God loving awful. Theres like three lanes that merge on at the same time theres a few offramps to midtown and downtown or to I-5 etc so if you're there between 8 am and 6 PM at basically any time you'll almost certainly be in a lane going 70 trying to merge into one going 15 or the other way around

yeah the capital corridor is terrible. I remember going to department of water resources but the off ramp blended with 2 lanes merging on at like bumper to bumper meanwhile the lane I was in was like 70 so I had to brake to almost a stop and slip in across 2 stopped on-ramp lanes to get to the off ramp: I want to say this was like 20th/X st. I also think those were going to slow because they turned to 80 or something.