Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for June, 2019?
This poll is closed.
Kento Miyahara (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) 25 34.25%
:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 20 27.40%
:parrot: Kofi Kingston (WWE Champion) 10 13.70%
:glomp: Bayley (Smackdown Women's Champion) 3 4.11%
:cripes: Nick Aldis (NWA Champion) 3 4.11%
:mump: Tetsuya Endo (KO-D Openweight Champion) 2 2.74%
:mrgw: Bea Priestley (World of Stardom Champion) 1 1.37%
:fork: Matt Taven (ROH World Champion) 1 1.37%
:supaburn: Seth Rollins (WWE Universal Champion) 1 1.37%
:clint: Becky Lynch (Raw Women's Champion 0 0%
:livintrope: None of the Above 7 9.59%
Total: 73 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

After a 3 month streak of the WWE Champion winning the poll, New Japan returned to the Winner's Circle as Kazuchika Okada got a solid but not blow-away victory over April's winner, Kofi Kingston. Shoko Nakajima (who is not here this month, sadly) made a strong debut on the poll but the Rainmaker wasn't to be denied. Okada is back, but will his match at Dominion have been enough to grant him yet another return to the winner's circle in June?

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant - e.g, CAGE has been dropped because he won't defend his Impact World Title won in April until July. NXT is still at this current time a Development Brand only, and neither of its top Champions are included on the monthly poll for that reason. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you might in this thread.

:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - Okada faced Chris Jericho at Dominion, a particularly interesting match-up not just for their first time in a singles match together, but because Jericho is a contracted part of AEW now which as of this writing is still not affiliated officially with New Japan in any way. The match itself started slow and was just really starting to get good when Okada called back to his first defeat of Kenny Omega in their 2-out-of-3 Falls no time limit match and scored a shock pinfall to defeat Jericho. Afterwards, Jericho lost his mind and attacked Okada with a chair, eventually leading to a face-off with Tanahashi and the promise of a feud to come there. Okada had retained his title though, and now with the G1 coming up his title matches will fall by the wayside for the time being... but not Okada himself, who is scheduled for some incredible match-ups during the tournament which will surely have implications for future matches down the line. Goddamn the G1 is so cool.

:parrot: Kofi Kingston (WWE Champion) - Kofi kept beating Dolph through the month, and Dolph kept having excuses for why Kofi had an unfair advantage, or he took the coward's way out. Anything for Dolph to convince himself that he was the better man he believes himself to be. Through it all, Kofi kept his cool, didn't let Dolph get in his head, dealt with the shenanigans of Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn and continually beat Dolph over and over culminating in a 2-out-of-3 Falls match at Smackdown where he definitively and cleanly defeated Dolph to put that feud finally, mercifully to bed. But in the meantime, Kofi had fallen foul of the murderous rage of Samoa Joe, who has lost his own United States title to Ricochet, and is now looking for revenge... on Kofi Kingston!

:glomp: Bayley (Smackdown Women's Champion) - Bayley was perhaps unfairly described as "the third least important in a title match between her and one other person" by somebody on these forums. The entire month has been about the ongoing feud between Alexa Bliss and Bayley, but Bayley has largely been a tertiary part of it in favor of the Alexa Bliss/Nikki Cross story, where Nikki is seemingly being manipulated by Alexa in order to give her an advantage over Bayley and win the title. Bayley has held onto the belt so far, but it feels a long way from the utter joy and exhilaration that was the immediate aftermath of her Money in the Bank cash-in.

Kento Miyahara (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) - His title defense didn't come till right at the very, very end of the month, but at the AJPW Dynamite Series, Miyahara survived Yoshitatsu's deadly finishing move "Codebreaker from Chris Jericho" to retain his Triple Crown title. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:clint: Becky Lynch (Raw Women's Champion - Becky is still stuck in the hell that is an ongoing title feud with Lacey Evans, though she once again handily defeated her in a title match at Stomping Grounds. That match opened the show, and Becky arrived in the main event to save real-life boyfriend Seth Rollins from Lacey Evans abusing her special referee status to attack him. This has resulted with Becky's title on the line in a mixed tag with Seth against Corbin and Lacey at Extreme Rules, and some concern from Becky fans that in spite of her best efforts she is getting sucked into a place where her personal relationship is getting more focus than her actual in-ring work and character she has worked so hard on getting over.

:mrgw: Bea Priestley (World of Stardom Champion) - Stardom's "Top Gaijin" defeated former Queen's Quest teammate Konami to hold on to her championship. Next she faces her current teammate, the ace of Stardom - Momo Watanabe. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:fork: Matt Taven (ROH World Champion) - Taven bookended his month with successful title defenses, first against Tracy Williams at the State of the Art show, and then against Jeff Cobb at Best in the World. In what is probably no surprise, the match against Cobb was supposedly very good, and Taven proved fairly popular even going against fan-favorite Cobb.

:supaburn: Seth Rollins (WWE Universal Champion) - More prominent this month for his ill-advised attempt to lionize WWE on twitter and ending up in a tweet-war with Will Ospreay (which he lost!), Seth also defended his belt successfully against Baron Corbin. It was a pretty atrocious match at Stomping Ground that set the stage for a mixed tag match at Extreme Rules, where he and Becky Lynch's titles will both be on the line.

:mump: Tetsuya Endo (KO-D Openweight Champion) - Endo defeated Yukio Sakaguchi to hold onto his championship but missed the rest of the month after injuring his ankle wrestling in a swimming pool. He returned at the end of the month to show his next challengers - Konosuke Takeshita and Chris Brookes - that his ankle is better than ever. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:cripes: Nick Aldis (NWA Champion) - Nick Aldis successfully defended his title in England at the start of the month against Brad Slayer at WAWA Fightmare 3.

:livintrope: None of the Above - If you just goddammit please want ONE champion you can vote for but it ain't above, you can vote None of the Above!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
This is Kento Miyahara's month.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I liked the Okada/Jericho match better than most people did, but yeah it wasn't a strong month for him. Guess I'll go with Kento this time.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Vote for Kento for surviving the Codebreaker from Chris Jericho. Okada didn't even take the Judas Effect from Chris Jericho the coward.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm going in for the kento
i'm doing it for the bento
i'm hoping you'll understand
my mommy made it by hand

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if this fellow is going to win it won't be by hiding on the second page. come forth and vote

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You heard Cavauro you cowards!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kento Miyahara had a good match with Yoshitatsu, how many people can say that?

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
Jerusalem tell us who voted for Seth Rollins

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Kento Miyahara had a good match with Yoshitatsu, how many people can say that?

Most of AJPW at this point

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Drew McIntyre posted:

Jerusalem tell us who voted for Seth Rollins

It says here it was Bill Goldberg, but I know he wasn't at his computer that night, the only person at home was his daught.... :aaa:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Most of AJPW at this point

Well yeah, I know this but most people here don't watch All Japan.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Well yeah, I know this but most people here don't watch All Japan.

accessibility seems to be the main issue, along with its coverage being limited to the puro thread, which most people don't read. we should probably try to set up a Let's Watch thread for a major show in the future.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
voting so I can laugh at how utterly and completely WWE hosed up Becky Lynch's storyline from November on to the point where she wins multiple womens titles and still gets no votes because she's not over anymore and feuding with complete losers.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Halfway through the voting period and it is REALLY close between Kento and Okada for 1st and 2nd, a couple of votes could change things up drastically!

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
vote for kento or the 4th gets cancelled

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
that okada match with jericho sucked rear end

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

KE-EN-TO
KE-EN-TO

e: how many of you would have said five years ago that Chris Jericho would have a lovely match against Kazuchika Okada and Yoshitatsu would have the best singles match of his career against Kento Miyahara?

Venomous fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 3, 2019

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Venomous posted:

e: how many of you would have said five years ago that Chris Jericho would have a lovely match against Kazuchika Okada and Yoshitatsu would have the best singles match of his career against Kento Miyahara?

people who didn't watch Yoshitatsu vs. Suwama from last year?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Stop viewing them as Chris Jericho matches, too many old connotations and memories. Replace his name with "my fat goth dad"

When you think of it that way, Okada had a great match with my fat goth dad. I don't think anyone else could get better out of him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Change my vote to Kento (or don't it's fine) I didn't expect to see him on the poll.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Still a day to vote and only 4 votes in it, every single vote will make a difference!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Lid posted:

This is Kento Miyahara's month.

:hai:

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Tato posted:

Stop viewing them as Chris Jericho matches, too many old connotations and memories. Replace his name with "my fat goth dad"

When you think of it that way, Okada had a great match with my fat goth dad. I don't think anyone else could get better out of him.

Man, how has my fat goth dad fallen so far since Naito had such a great match with him at WK13 :(

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Well, my fat goth dad has been hanging out with that Judith lady more often and has spent too many nights closing the bar down at The Tilted Kilt but I think he's gonna bounce back on polls later this year. He just has some stuff he has to get through you know?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

We reach the midpoint of the year and... the stranglehold of New Japan and WWE since early 2017 has finally been broken! All Japan's MVP/Ace Kento Miyahara has been getting talked up for months (if not longer) as a rising star in the world of Pro-Wrestling and finally it gets recognized here in Rowdy Ringsports, as he pulls out a surprise upset win over New Japan's living God Kazuchika Okada while more than doubling the votes of 3rd place getter Kofi Kingston. Another major feature of this month's poll was that multi-time winner Becky Lynch scored ZERO votes, but the big story is Miyahara's success. Will it be a one-off or does this mark the start of a new ascendancy by All Japan?

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Tato posted:

laughing at how utterly and completely WWE hosed up Becky Lynch's storyline from November on to the point where she wins multiple womens titles and still gets no votes because she's not over anymore and feuding with complete losers.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

who really voted for seth rollins. as the savior of the poll, and forcer of it being a good match, i deserve to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cavauro posted:

who really voted for seth rollins. as the savior of the poll, and forcer of it being a good match, i deserve to know

It was Becky Lynch, she voted for him if he promised to vote for her. He voted for Nick Aldis.