Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Early access is live! Epic exclusive Available on Steam and GOG!

Back in January, Abbey Games sucessfully ran a Kickstarter for their newest game, Godhood. I’m a huge fan of this developer, as seen in my archived thread for RE:IS, and I jumped on the opportunity to support their new project. Since then, I have been following their regular streams and have watched this rough concept slowly turn into a playable game. I haven’t played the beta but I definitely plan on playing as soon as the early access begins. We all know that early access can be a mixed bag and many people reasonably avoid unfinished games but I feel that this one shows quite a bit of promise and should be on your radar at the very least.

What is Godhood?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z8aGO9-NvE
Lauch Trailer!

Godhood is described as a strategy simulation god game. You don’t directly control your followers but instead hand out commandments for disciples to follow. There’s a city building component where you allocate resources for upgrades and bonuses. In addition, there is a combat component where disciples will attempt to convert other tribes. The setting is a non specific tribal society in Mesoamerica and the music is inspired by Peruvian folk sounds.

This is the third commercial release by Abbey games after Renowned Explorers: International Society and REUS. While I’m sure they have their fair share of critics, they are generally well regarded and have a solid reputation for making creative and well crafted games.

Gameplay

It's described as a roster management game with disciples in a newly founded religion. Most of the game revolves around city building with occasional sorties with other tribes.

• City Building

The meat of the game is directing your disciples to perform various actions like recruiting and worshiping. The amount of faith that a disciple has determines the success of their actions and you can customize characters equipment, skills, and appearance. It’s turn based and limited by various resources gained by converting tribes or other actions. There is a limit to the total number of turns before your god is judged and ranked in the pantheon. In addition, story events occur at various intervals and determine various attributes.

• Sacrament

The goal of the game is to convert other tribes to your religion by directing your followers in ritual combat. You select an action for your disciples from a pool and then watch an automated, turn based, battle play out. The results are RNG based and influenced by character stats. Actions include all of the traditional RPG mechanics like status effects, stabbing, and healing.

Mechanics

• Disciples

There are various character classes with different types of attacks that depend on various attributes. Some bash opponents with clubs while others make their rivals aroused. It looks like each faith will have their own specialized class in addition to a number of of generalized classes. There are currently 13 classes total.

• Commandments

These are the main focus of your religion. There are 4 commandments at launch with another 2 or 3 coming later. The idea is that you pick a general focus of your religion and then specialize it with tenets as the game progresses. Each commandment has an opposing counterpart.
    • Lust – Ritual orgies in an otherwise family friendly game.
    • Chastity – Nobody is going to pick this religion.
    • War – Smashing things with devotion.
    • Peace – Go door to door handing out pamphlets.
    • Greed – Are there no prisons? Are there no workhouses?
    • Generosity – Nationalized healthcare.
    • Madness – Salvation through cosmic horrors. (This was hinted at in the initial Kickstarter post but they haven't talked about it much)

More Information
  • Steam Page
  • You can find all of the previous development streams on Abbey Games Youtube.
  • They are planning a release day (7PM CEST (10 AM PDT, 1PM EST) on July 10th) stream on their Twitch channel.
  • I’ll be playing on day one but hopefully will find some time to update this post with as I learn more.

RVWinkle fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Early access is live with a 10% launch discount! I updated the op and played it a bit. There's quite a bit of depth so it will take some time to form a sensible opinion but it's much more polished and robust than I expected.

Behold the Church of the SubGenius in pursuit of Slack.

I started with a peace religion and immediately built a bar so now all of my disciples are drunken pacifists.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
This game looks interesting as hell, I'll probably get it after a few patches.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
This is kinda neat if a bit confusing so far. I'm earning currency I can't find, and the character cards are kinda weird. Guess it's mostly a question of getting used to it though.

Also, I crashed when I tried constructing a Lust monument, so be aware of that.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Godhood has been out for a week now and Steam says I have 11 hours invested so far so I wanted to share my opinions up to this point. I haven't finished the game yet but I have given all 4 commandments a spin. The good news is that I haven't experienced any crashes and the gameplay loop is mostly complete. Sadly, the current state of game is pretty rough with quite a few unfinished gameplay elements and limited content. In addition, there isn't much differentiation between the commandments and replay is limited. Balance needs some work and the game is extremely slow unless you pick the right combination of disciples and miracles to break things to the point where it becomes too easy.

This is early access though so the above criticisms aren't unexpected. The developers are extremely active with patching and responding on the forums. They have shown tremendous progress between the alpha milestones so it's reasonable to believe that they'll be able to sort everything out over time. I'm not worried about the technical issues as the game is improving rapidly and they have a solid base to build on. As you can tell from the op, I'm enthusiastic about the game and I really want it to succeed but I have two main concerns:
    1. The content seems limited.

There isn't much in the way of entertaining dialogue and there's very little to the game outside of building characters. Godhood is a roster management game which is essentially one half of XCOM. In XCOM games, you have the whole base building and roster management aspect that rides along with a hardcore strategy game. The combat in Godhood on the other hand is auto resolved so you're basically watching a short skit with dice rolls. What's left is just managing a roster which is is good fun and all but it's closer to a Kairosoft game. I enjoy Kairosoft games well enough and have purchased a few in my time but the fact of the matter is that they are simple cell phone games with limited gameplay. What Godhood has is great but there isn't much to it. If you look a Abbey Games' previous release, REIS, it had roster management, turn based strategy, and story based adventures.

2. They don't have enough time for polish.

Based on their comments, they want to try releasing Godhood by the end of the year. Their qualifier was that if the game is popular enough then they may extend development and push the release until next year. This indicates that they're budget constrained and possibly limited in their ability to address content concerns. If you look at some of the more successful early access games like Prison Architect, or Oxygen Not Included, you can see how they benefit from being in development for several years. I'm sure the developers can accomplish quite a bit in the next 6 months but I suspect that it won't be enough time to make Godhood the best it can be.
To summarize, I think Godhood has quite a bit of potential but the content is limited in the current state. While I'm still a big fan of the developer, I don't feel the game meets their high standards. My advice would be to wait a bit before buying to see how things shake out. Give it a few months at the very least.

RVWinkle fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I finally made it to the endgame and while I'm still suggesting a wait and see position, I gained some insight into the late game mechanics that show some real potential. There's much work ahead to balance everything but you can do some fun things with optimized characters. Here's some photos and descriptions of mechanics.

Sacrament

Currently the game favors heavy hitters with Beast Master and Smitesword at the top because crazy crit potential followed by the Rage Prophet and Executioner. They can often win a Sacrament in one hit and the Beast Master can attack before the first round even begins! The challenge then becomes surviving multiple characters who can proc counter attacks, follow up actions, and actions before the first round. You can sometimes end up trading half a dozen actions right away which makes survival a factor. I finally settled on an optimized combo of one damage dealer and two healers or tanks. Classes that can heal religion hp are crucial which make the Songsmith and Guardian ideal support.

Here's a Smitesword doing his thing.

This is the biggest hit I've seen so far. Beast Masters are scary because they attack first and have high evade. Theoretically you would want to stun them in the first round with a Rage Prophet because they become weaker over time but that implies you survived their first attack.

Miracles

Miracles are essentially stat boosts that you gain when leveling up. They allow you to customize characters and each character can perform 4 miracles. Miracles are performed at ritual sites and temples and each location boosts different stats. Each commandment has a unique temple that gives a higher boost to stats specific to the commandment like might, cunning, health for war. Temples and ritual sites can be upgraded with fanatics which are a resource.

The Divine Ecstasy miracle is gained at the temple of lust is ideal for a Songsmith, second only to the Market miracle. Unfortunately you really should go for the Market miracle because it's a really good source of Sky Shards. Sky Shards give you 2 ability points from the Sun Stone ritual and allow you to upgrade your abilities. Upgraded abilities trump everything else in terms of character customization.

Wondrous Blessing is ideal for the Smitesword. The faith bonus gives you better rolls for actions performed in the village but it's pretty minor.

Exalted War Priest is gained from the Temple of War and is the best miracle in the game for boosting most damage dealers.

Relics

Relics are items that can be gathered from sacraments or certain rituals. These are mostly items equipped by disciples but some of them provide passive effects to everyone or are bound to a ritual site to grant additional miracle bonuses. These don't really affect the game much and most of them are crap.

This is probably the best relic in the game currently because Beast Masters are pretty broken and they rely on cunning.

Defy give the ability to avoid morale attacks and makes a Songsmith invunerable to anything that isn't a physical attack. All damage is either morale or physical.

I don't know what a Marvel ability is and it might not even be in the game.