Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Wait until it’s revealed that he’s the descendant of the orcs involved in you-know-what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Alright, so I’ve recently been reading some books on writing, and one of the major things that’s stuck with me is that (roughly paraphrasing) every single paragraph, line of dialogue, etc. should be written to have at least some kind of a hook that makes the audience want to read the next one, and so on and so forth for the whole story.

With a comic like this, I’d say that each page is roughly analogous to a paragraph... In which case, this strip is basically a do-nothing paragraph that fails to really give the reader any reason to be concerned, intrigued, or anything for Snout, because it’s clearly supposed to be the first half (or third, quarter...) of what should have been a single, continuous page that’s been hacked into multiple pages. And it’s really obvious that it’s only happening because Mookie’s apparently got this drip-feed strip format nailed down in his head from the original Deegan days.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Oh gently caress me, I thought it was supposed to be a montage of him going to different past locations and getting summarily rejected until he lucks out on the final one.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Also they’re metalheads or something like that, it’s been forever since I read DD when it was being posted in the bad webcomics thread.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

For 200 years you’ve been asking: Who is Dominic Deegan? This is Dominic Deegan speaking.

*proceeds to fart for six hours straight*

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

So, wait, he found all of the pieces of the message now, right?

So what the gently caress is he supposed to do now?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I mean, I’d be more surprised if there wasn’t a “revelation” that he’s actually still alive two hundred something years later.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I never reread Deegan, but if I remember right, Luna indeed revitalized the orcs’ homeland by sacrificing her womb because she was an awkward cross between The Chosen One and White Man’s Burden.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

This comic will end how DD began.

With a *FAP*

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I forget, has it been said if he was born deaf? Because I could easily see him doing something incredibly stupid that ended up with him losing his hearing.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

But the bear is the orc’s pet!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Really though, all that’s happened is that he finished assembling all of the pieces of the prophecy, including one from a Whomping Willow reject that flipped the bird at him, and then ran into some orc that the magic piece of paper is trying to warn him about.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Didn’t he basically say that he thought that physical handicaps were good examples of character flaws? I never followed DD before it finished, so I’m only half remembering this stuff secondhand.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

I tried to start a family by turning a tree into a woman and a bird into a baby but I kept getting "yes yes yes".

Were you trying to name the bird Jolyne?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, one of the few things I still remember from the original Deegan was one of his students from the “now I’m a grumpy teacher” arc doing his homework and realizing that a ton of major prophecies from all over the world just so happened to all be made on the exact same day, despite originating from all sorts of different cultures. I forget if that ever actually had any payoff, or if it was one of those few genuinely interesting plot hooks Mookie made that he then quietly forgot about in favor of puffing up Dominic’s ego.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

See, in the hands of the right author, that could at least be some kind of foreshadowing, if not the central question for a mystery that the characters try to solve. Instead, it’s really briefly brought up, and then just... never gets explored ever again?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

...That is some prime material for editing into you know what.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Oh, I really don’t disagree at all, considering how... tasteless the original strip already was.

Really, DD was largely solidly mediocre with a few kernels of good ideas that another writer probably could have executed better... And a few arcs and individual strips that made you wonder “what the gently caress, Mookie?”

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

It’d be a fun gag if someone tries speaking to him in the dreamscape... And he has no idea what they’re saying, because he’s only ever known the written word.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

To be honest, I like that idea better anyhow.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

He’s totally psyching himself up to finally draw a woman’s tiddy.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

From what I vaguely remember, Dominic & co. killed his evil girlfriend during one of the earlier arcs right in front of him, and he swore vengeance against them because he truly was in love with her. Wound up becoming the Champion of Chaos (or something like that) over the rest of the comic’s run.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Oh yeah, and her death was when the whole... thing with women dying with their asses in the air started too, I think.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I only ever read through it once, and that was when someone was posting the entire archive of it across the first couple of incarnations of the Bad Webcomics megathreads like a year or so after it ended... So everyone else already knew about all of the worst bits ahead of time.

I just remembered that whole arc where they got married and took a honeymoon in what’s still one of the clumsiest attempts at world building that I’ve ever seen. Though that arc also gave us the overall best character of the entire comic.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Oh, I forgot until I went looking it up on a lark just now: Celesto also wound up getting killed off forever at the very end with only the very same strip building up to it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Wasn’t that kind of always the thing with DD? Like, he never planned ahead outside of a broad strokes idea of what the current arc’s story would be.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Also, the gently caress is that throwing motion?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Snout's routine is whatever Mookie imagines his character in No Man's Sky might do. Unfortunately he forgets to actually translate that into representation on the page. His characters can read his mind, but the audience can't.

You loving called it.

Also, notice how Snout literally puts slobbering over Dominic’s knob ahead of himself?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

And again, as has already been pointed out, there’s next to no sense of a progression of time. We have no idea if this was all in one day, or if it’s been weeks or even months since Snout began his journey. All we’ll ever have to go on for that is the inevitable :words: journal entry that doesn’t even attempt to make itself look like it’s not addressing the audience directly.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

That waterfall landscape isn't terrible. There's something approaching a sense of scale there

I’ll agree to that, though it would absolutely be better served with some coloring. It took me a moment to figure out that it was that, and not just some random crater.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I just figured that the thing following him was a scout for the “real” ship.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I’ll cop to it going over my head.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Oh.

...Ohh.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Or she gets fed up with how long communicating with writing is taking, and just magically grants him hearing... which just makes things worse, because it’d be the first time Snout’s ever been able to hear, and gives him sensory overload.

Also, gonna play a bit more conservatively and guess that it takes two months of strips for Mookie’s kooky nookie with the witch.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I feel like this take from another goon is relevant to the discussion at hand.

https://twitter.com/samBkays/status/1188287817152991232

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

If this was a physical comic, it feels like we’d only have something like three or four issues worth of material if it was starting from the very beginning. Set up the setting in the first, second and maybe third pick up after his house is destroyed and feature his hijinks trying to get the pages, and the current issue is everything from just after getting robbed by the orc till the present.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I’m surprised that we don’t have a :loss: yet.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I forget, did the original strip ever have an arc where the big reveal was that the seemingly-trustworthy character was actually the villain? Because I could definitely see the twist coming with the Ink Witch actually exploiting Snout’s gullibility for some nebulous agenda that involves... the legacy of Dominic Deegan.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

The Little Death posted:

I know, I just find it funny that the act that cemented him being on the side of Deegan was brutally murdering a woman, who was old and vain and therefore evil, and the act that damned him also was about a woman and sexuality.

It's like Mookie has a pattern or something.

This is all the more hilarious to me after I just got done reading a summary of the Golden Fleece for the first time, for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Maybe it's due to the cursed bridal shower poop cake posted in GBS but that last panel looks like they're sitting underneath a giant turd impaled on a tree, that's just, shedding poop flakes.

I'm glad someone else said this because I was wavering on whether I was just imagining it.

You can’t just mention that and not link to it.