Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Looks like a stretched-out Dreamcast controller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Mister Speaker posted:

While all of my classmates were getting iPods, I had one of these:

An iRiver H320. I think I had the breakout remote as well.

I had a 32gb Creative Zen Vision M, and while I was looking for a picture of it, I found a picture of my cat with my extremely '00s Guitar Hero controller :regd06:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I got an Instagram suggestion of a top 10 list of songs that turn 20 years old today, and weirdly most of them suck (imho), even with nostalgia on their side. "Bring Me to Life" (Evanescence)? "Stacy's Mom" (who the gently caress ever)? Ugh.

2003 is 20 years ago... :smith: :corsair:

edit: there should be a :corsmith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Well, while we're here talking about '00s music, Fight Night 2004's soundtrack absolutely loving ruled. "Fighting in the Club" and "Crank it Up" made it onto my "songs of all genres that are my jam" playlist.

Mister Speaker posted:

In The End by Linkin Park was playing and the shop owner and I reminisced about nu-metal for a while. We both shared the opinion that we sort of took it for granted back when it was popular and a lot (but certainly not all) of it deserved way more credit. Even Limp Bizkit were good, in retrospect. I pulled out this old chestnut: "Show me a 35-year-old man who doesn't at least kind of dig Limp Bizkit, and I'll show you a liar."

1) I still remember that feeling of popping the Hybrid Theory CD into my stereo, then "Papercut" starting to play, then my mind being completely & utterly blown. Maybe I was just sheltered or something, but up until that point, most of my music taste was from my Gen X gangsta rap loving uncle, the first five Offspring albums, and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. Not a whole lot of nu metal in my system when Hybrid Theory came out.

2) :hmmyes: And I'm a 36 year old woman, and I don't care what anyone says -- aside from the weird part at the end of the Spotify version, "Boiler" owns.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Happy Landfill posted:

Who else remembers how they felt at 5 min to midnight on December 31st 1999? :smith:

I don't, but I remember the good old aftermath

Side notes:
- Bryana was my diary's name, named after Bryan (Dexter) Holland from The Offspring but obviously I couldn't tell all my deepest secrets to a boy :gonk:
- I was 12 when I wrote this; not sure where I thought I was going to buy cigarettes.
- I just included the Gigapets part for added late '90s/early '00s ery.

je1 healthcare posted:

Somewhat panicking, in case the armageddon would happen. The media certainly didn't help. As a kid there was not much other reason to think that new year's eve being anything special beyond the novelty of all the digits changing, and marketers slapping "2000" on the name of everything.

I remember some segment in the daily news about "millennials" in which "millennials" were specifically defined as people who would become teenagers in the year 2000 (such as myself). Not sure about the contents of the article, but I'm guessing it was pretty unremarkable and that I wouldn't remember that it existed at ALL if "millennial" hadn't eventually become a mainstream term.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I had a couple of off-brand ones and I named one of them "Kevin Jr." after Kevin (Noodles) Wasserman from The Offspring.

You know, in hindsight, I think I kind of liked The Offspring.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Mister Speaker posted:

I sort of feel the same way about American Idiot, we made fun of Green Day 'selling out' but in retrospect that album is an anthemic masterpiece and who gives a gently caress about selling out anyway.

Nah, gently caress that, I will hate "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" and "Wake Me Up When September Ends" until the day I die.

credburn posted:

I've occasionally attempted to give Linkin Park a listen but I just can't do it. The main singer is so loving painful to listen to. He later went on to kill himself, right? I feel bad because like, it really makes this screaming agonizing angst ridden stuff seem authentic... but it's still just screaming agonizing angst ridden stuff that is painful to hear. I want to slap him. I see like a 13 year-old me in these lyrics and I want to slap me.

He did, and like, I feel bad about hating "In the End" for this reason, but at the same time, I can't just UN-hate it, you know? The fact that the lyrics come from an actual place don't make them seem less trite or hollow, and of course, there's also the actual tune.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Happy Landfill posted:

Fastball's "The Way"

I know this is hella '90s, but that song is the reason I bought NOW 1 on tape. :haw:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Grassy Knowles posted:

To give elon one single thing, his changes to twitter have caused more system outages than y2k ever did.

I swear, I've been on Twitter in one way or another, without breaks -- I don't know exactly how long, but at least 2009 -- and my Twitter has been hacked exactly one time: four days ago. Elon has done such a good job.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Animal-Mother posted:

Wanna degauss that monitor.

KA-POOOOING

I never got to degauss a monitor :smith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Mister Speaker posted:

Basically any class time I had in the library at my high school was spent on the computers, laughing at Maddox, TheOnion, RSDB and the SA main page.

This, but also MUDing and writing fanfiction.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Mister Speaker posted:

That interim period where they were still No Doubt but the band's production was going places, was a lot of fun. Hella Good still absolutely rips.

I heard Hey Baby for the first time at a cast party with my fellow drama club geeks, and I have loved it ever since.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Nowher posted:

I don't know what the gently caress I've done to my Youtube algorithm but recently it's been recommending me heaps of 17 year old 240p videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A1Nm2kAW6c

props to this guy responding to comments after all this time lol

:lol: That reminds me of Randy Johnson hitting that bird with his pitch, which took place in 2001 so I can post about it here

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Mister Speaker posted:

Someone stopped in at my work the other day and asked if we had any blank CD-Rs. We have some DVD-Rs but no CDs, I said I had a spool at home though that he could just have if he wanted them.

What could they possibly need a blank CD-R for in this day and age?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Neito posted:

If you're retrogaming, stock Dreamcasts can read games off CD-R.

Nice

Mister Speaker posted:

He said they were for archival purposes, IIRC. Why a HDD is out of the question I'm not sure. He was also talking about how 'certain types' of CDR he'd tried already were recording at 'the wrong pitch', which sounds to me like a sample rate conversion issue, not anything inherent to the media itself.

Sentient Data posted:

Archiving on normal cdr? Nah, archive on stone

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC

Man, I love physical media :allears: