Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

I've never had anyone with enough of a stick up their rear end to measure.
My RX-7 definitely wouldn't pass. I know for a fact it's 5%, because I was an idiot youth and put it there. Of course, that car has been off the road for a decade, but I will have to address that soon-ish (hopefully in the next year, if the apocalypse doesn't destroy everything.) It was a bitch to drive at night.
I have a steamer, so removal should be fairly easy.

Yeah, second time I've ever had anyone measure. First time they said they did just because the state-required compliance sticker wasn't there (... probably because that car was tinted when new, before that law took effect.. and wasn't even in TX yet), measured right at 25% (that was the Saturd, and that was Inspections Only that did that).

It came off pretty easily with just a razor blade and Windex - probably 30 minutes total. Definitely really cheap tint. Negative Ions was inspected at the same place and they didn't check the tint on it, though it was pretty light. I looked up the inspection on it out of curiousity to see how it fared after it got put back on the road - it failed 3 times at the same station. Twice because of safety + reset ECU (lights burned out, which is a big WTF to me - every exterior bulb was <1 year old), once because the ECU had been reset and it hadn't been driven enough. Passed on the 4th go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

LobsterboyX posted:

As my last paycheck rolled in (I design events) I got a delivery that I had 100% forgotten about

Holy poo poo steering wheel stereo controls!!!

Im gonna have to get me some of those- No 100 series came out with steering wheel controls in Aus, not even the Saharas!

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Ferremit posted:

Holy poo poo steering wheel stereo controls!!!

Im gonna have to get me some of those- No 100 series came out with steering wheel controls in Aus, not even the Saharas!
Get yourself a baller-rear end 15 year old GX 470 then.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

gvibes posted:

Get yourself a baller-rear end 15 year old GX 470 then.

Never sold in Australia- we got the GX platform but it’s sold as the 120 series prado with either the 3.0L 1KZ diesel, the 3.0L 1KD common rail diesel or the 4.0L V6 petrol engine. The only 4wds that Lexus have ever sold in Australia is the LX470, LX570 and now the new LX450D with the 1VD-FTV 4.5L V8 Diesel engine.

You would not want to feed a GX470’s appetite for fuel at Australian fuel prices anyway!

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Ferremit posted:

Never sold in Australia- we got the GX platform but it’s sold as the 120 series prado with either the 3.0L 1KZ diesel, the 3.0L 1KD common rail diesel or the 4.0L V6 petrol engine. The only 4wds that Lexus have ever sold in Australia is the LX470, LX570 and now the new LX450D with the 1VD-FTV 4.5L V8 Diesel engine.

You would not want to feed a GX470’s appetite for fuel at Australian fuel prices anyway!
Hey now, I get a nice 13 mpg city/13 mpg highway.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

gvibes posted:

Compare that to my mates D4D 120 which gets 11L/100km in the city and 8.5/100 on the highway which is 21/27mpg

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

gvibes posted:

drat I get ~17-18 in the city and ~21-22 on the highway in my 2007 V6 4Runner. That V8 really makes the difference eh. Granted the GX470 also weighs like 600lb more somehow than the 4Runner

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

drat I get ~17-18 in the city and ~21-22 on the highway in my 2007 V6 4Runner. That V8 really makes the difference eh. Granted the GX470 also weighs like 600lb more somehow than the 4Runner

That's 600lbs of pure luxury....

I have been getting around 15 mpg mixed driving in my 04 gx. Not great, but not that far off from the ls430 I was driving before. Luckily I don't have to drive much.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
My wife drives a coughwranglerCOugh - when I got my LX she said "I really want one of these, I'd totally sell my wrangler to get one" - I suggested the GX, which to me is so perfect for her, but she hates the look of them. I told her about the providence of them, theyre known as the Prado.. .blah blah blah... "I want a LX"

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I had to force myself to like the GX, especially the rear (the clear tail lights REALLY don't do it for me), and the LX is cooler in every possible way, so I can't hate on that choice. For me it was the practicality of getting a 2017 GX with two years of free maintenance and a six year warranty for the same price as a 2013 LX with ~115k miles and no warranty that won me over. However, as someone who's been more into bikes and small cars, getting a SUV was a big change in direction for me, and I always said if I really liked driving one and wanted the extra room and power, I'd sell it for a LX.

Somewhat Heroic - I may have asked you this before but if I did I forgot, have both your LXs been raised, and do your kids have trouble getting in with the extra height? I'm actually worried if I raise my GX one of my dogs will have trouble jumping in the back, but I have my first kid due in July and I'm wondering if small kids have issues. I figure they're probably more limber and adaptable than I am, but who knows.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

LobsterboyX posted:

My wife drives a coughwranglerCOugh - when I got my LX she said "I really want one of these, I'd totally sell my wrangler to get one" - I suggested the GX, which to me is so perfect for her, but she hates the look of them. I told her about the providence of them, theyre known as the Prado.. .blah blah blah... "I want a LX"

The GX is great, but that rear swingout door is my least favorite thing about it. Your wife definitely sounds like a keeper though.

MomJeans420 posted:

I had to force myself to like the GX, especially the rear (the clear tail lights REALLY don't do it for me), and the LX is cooler in every possible way, so I can't hate on that choice. For me it was the practicality of getting a 2017 GX with two years of free maintenance and a six year warranty for the same price as a 2013 LX with ~115k miles and no warranty that won me over. However, as someone who's been more into bikes and small cars, getting a SUV was a big change in direction for me, and I always said if I really liked driving one and wanted the extra room and power, I'd sell it for a LX.

Somewhat Heroic - I may have asked you this before but if I did I forgot, have both your LXs been raised, and do your kids have trouble getting in with the extra height? I'm actually worried if I raise my GX one of my dogs will have trouble jumping in the back, but I have my first kid due in July and I'm wondering if small kids have issues. I figure they're probably more limber and adaptable than I am, but who knows.

I don't fault anyone for choosing something with lower miles and a warranty. What I will say is that I am completely wrapped up in the siren song of the LC/LX chassis to where mileage doesn't scare me at all. With age and miles will come maintenance, and not Civic or Corolla dollars worth of maintenance. Now having had two 20+ year old LXs with nearly 200K miles each I am just not scared of the miles. Everywhere else you look there are cruisers with 50-100K miles more. They don't get retired because of the miles. They get retired because they get crashed or they rust away.

That 2013 TLC I drove with ~125K miles looked mint and drove the same. You would have sworn it was simply a lease trade in that was driven by someone that weighed 90 pounds and didn't have kids. I would spend the $35K on something like that and happily drive it knowing that it was going to go for double the amount of miles and still have an actual market value at that point.

My first LX was stock AHC suspension. The bigger tires certainly made it sit higher. This new white LX I ended up with the 1 1/2" lift, or about the equivalent of "high" mode on the AHC. My kids are 7, 5, and 2 (all with birthdays coming up this summer). The older two get in just fine, the smaller I still get in because he needs to be buckled into his big car seat (giant Recaro front facing 5 point harness). I have kept the running boards on both LXs for that specific reason. I want to remove them because I will gain like 6 inches of clearance. It is MASSIVE. I will get some step sliders, but I am waiting for them to go on sale. The Metal Tech 4x4 are probably what I will end up with once they post a ~20% off sale or a free shipping sale. They are a want but not a need at this point, and the sale is the difference of ~$200-300.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I've got the slee sliders and a 3 inch lift on 33s and besides the adventure poo poo I've done in it, one of my favorite moments has been watching my 5'2 friend jump in and even with the sliders still manage to eat poo poo and end up in the passenger footwell.

Front locker should ship Monday, just need to order up a steering rack and other bits.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My first LX was stock AHC suspension. The bigger tires certainly made it sit higher. This new white LX I ended up with the 1 1/2" lift, or about the equivalent of "high" mode on the AHC. My kids are 7, 5, and 2 (all with birthdays coming up this summer). The older two get in just fine, the smaller I still get in because he needs to be buckled into his big car seat (giant Recaro front facing 5 point harness). I have kept the running boards on both LXs for that specific reason. I want to remove them because I will gain like 6 inches of clearance. It is MASSIVE. I will get some step sliders, but I am waiting for them to go on sale. The Metal Tech 4x4 are probably what I will end up with once they post a ~20% off sale or a free shipping sale. They are a want but not a need at this point, and the sale is the difference of ~$200-300.

I was only thinking of 2", so it sounds like probably not a problem for most kids. I've been trying to train my dog to use a ramp, but she just gets excited and jumps in without the ramp. She's had knee issues so I'd really prefer less jumping, but excitement from going in the car and all that.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

:siren:IS 2020 OVER YET:siren:

Filled the LX up on my way home because the world is ending and I might as well have a full tank of gas. When I went to pull away it almost felt like I wasn't in gear, like I had to give it a more gas than usual to start moving. I put it in neutral, then put it in gear to drive again. TONS of gear whine but movement. It shifted into second, same thing, feels like slight loss of power and lots of noise. Third gear - fine. Fourth, fine.

I immediately thought my fan clutch had seized. Checked it when I got home. It appears to be functioning normal. I checked my transmission fluid. It is a nice red color, no smell. When wiped on a white paper towel it seems fresh.

I drove it around my neighborhood. I put it in low range to see if I still got the noise. 1-2 still gets the noise. 3rd and 4th no noise at all. Functioning totally good. Is this the signs of a transmission dying? I sincerely hope that is not the case here. I am reading up on gear whine being a transfer case thing, but it doesn't seem to be only a 1-2 gear thing, more like its cold outside and you are gonna have some noise until fluid gets warmed up.

2020. UGH.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The GX is great, but that rear swingout door is my least favorite thing about it. Your wife definitely sounds like a keeper though.

she really is, i mean, her car is way cooler than mine..

My big problem with the GX is that it wants so badly to be a 100 but its just not, the looks are the limiting factor. For me the interiors of them are on par, and the fact that you can get black pretty awesome. I dealt with the swing out door with my FJ for years, at times it was quite a PITA, but they at least provided a lockout on the strut to keep it open if you were parked on anything but flat - I remember one time loading up a big old pinball machine in the back of the FJ and having that giant door with the full size spare slap the poo poo out of me and pin me between it and the bumper of the car. Im not a small fella and it hurt pretty good, I cant imagine my 5' tall wife fairing well against a swing out

I test drove a few GX in my quest for my LX- I reallllllly like them.... but not.... whats the milage like on them? and its the same 2UZ-FE right?

I'd love to be a 2 LX family - a friend of mine's dad has a virginal 00 that has... ready....40k miles - before I found mine I was hoping he'd sell me his, but he was playing hard to get - and of course as soon as I got mine he was willing to talk about it - basically when he retires in a year or two he'll let it go to me. its a company car to his own business, and rarely drives it. it sits in the garage next to my buddy's hot rods and old cars (shocker i know)

Speaking of FJ's - here's something I wrote on the facebook group to someone considering switching from a hundy to an FJ, just in case any of you may be considering one.

quote:

I used the FJ to tow on a few occasions, ut 2 months ago - there have been a lot of great comparisons from others already, but I can echo some, and deny others.

firstly, if you like the FJ, just go drive one and see how you feel in it. I had no problem doing basically anything I neeeded to with it, I towed, drove around friends, hit trails, hauled furniture... its a very competent truck.

the interior space is very different than the 100s, it has a lot of head room, the doors are big and easy to get in to unless someone parks next to you - I miss the bigness of the doors. The seats can go very low, also making it a bit easier to get in to, however the seating position is not very comfy when it comes to extended seat times, i found my hips were suffering. the windshield is upright and pretty far away from you, unlike the 100, it takes some getting used to - my firends that would ride in the FJ with me would often say it reminded them of driving in an armored car or tank

the blind spots can be intense for someone who has never driven one, however I adapted quickly - also, having a backup cam is a must on these cars.. i cant stress that enough, visibility thru the rear window is laughable, but again, i adapted quickly and didn't mind - however if you plan to have other people, namely your wife, drive the fj, you need to warn them of the visibility before they get behind the wheel

the rear doors can be a bit of a pain, its hard for people to get in, and with the seats in a position that I could drive, it left very little room for anyone larger than a 5' tall wife

I took my truck camping plenty of times, with the seats folded down, and proper padding, it was big enough for my 6'3 frame to fit in. - one of the first upgrades i did to my tuck when I got it was install the BajaRack drop in basket, it took the non functional roof rack and made it functional. for camping and longer trips it was a godsend.

I'm a total newb when it comes to true off roading, but when it comes to where I wanted to take my FJ, there was no bounds, doing the typical california trips, dirt roads, light rocks, mild obstacles it did everything I wanted it to do and more -

I used the FJ to tow on a few occasions, most notably my race car on a uhaul trailer - I'd say that anything more than this is probably too much for the truck - Uhaul trailers are engineered with a massive amount of tongue weight for ease of driving, the FJ did not like this and struggled greatly on bigger grades.

reliability was good, I bought the truck new in 2013 and aside from a transmission rebuild about 2 years in (that was handled by warranted, it was good, another reason for me selling it was that the transmission sounded like it was ready to let go again.

The main reason I wanted to get in to a 100 from the FJ was the fact that we're having a baby any day now, I needed 4 real doors and plenty of space, plus the 100 has been a big part of my life since 2001 -

final thoughts or TLDR - the FJ is a quirky, extremely capable vehicle, if you are single or just 2 people, and plan on using it as a fun truck or even a daily, and can see past its weirdness, then its the truck for you. I bought my FJ when I was 28 years old, I wished I had had it when I was 4-5 years younger. - I will always have a soft spot in my heart for them, I loved it, it served me well, but the 100 is my forever vehicle.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:siren:IS 2020 OVER YET:siren:

Filled the LX up on my way home because the world is ending and I might as well have a full tank of gas. When I went to pull away it almost felt like I wasn't in gear, like I had to give it a more gas than usual to start moving. I put it in neutral, then put it in gear to drive again. TONS of gear whine but movement. It shifted into second, same thing, feels like slight loss of power and lots of noise. Third gear - fine. Fourth, fine.

I immediately thought my fan clutch had seized. Checked it when I got home. It appears to be functioning normal. I checked my transmission fluid. It is a nice red color, no smell. When wiped on a white paper towel it seems fresh.

I drove it around my neighborhood. I put it in low range to see if I still got the noise. 1-2 still gets the noise. 3rd and 4th no noise at all. Functioning totally good. Is this the signs of a transmission dying? I sincerely hope that is not the case here. I am reading up on gear whine being a transfer case thing, but it doesn't seem to be only a 1-2 gear thing, more like its cold outside and you are gonna have some noise until fluid gets warmed up.

2020. UGH.

does locking the diff change anything? a stripped hub flange would be a lot nicer than a trans

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Slow is Fast posted:

does locking the diff change anything? a stripped hub flange would be a lot nicer than a trans

Sadly no it does not. It seems mostly isolated to first gear and particularly when decelerating. Low range, high range, center diff opened or locked it makes the noise. It sounds like I’ve got straight cut gears.

Yesterday I went after all the fluids. Started with the transfer case, then the transmission and then the front diff. I did not do the rear diff as SAE 90 weight with the LSD friction modifier wasn’t easily available. My guess is that it’s perfect. The stuff that came out of the transfer case was nearly as clean as what I put in. The magnetic drain plug had only the small amount of metal forming a sort of paste that was normal. Pulling the drain plug from the transmission only yields about two quarts. It was perfect red. Smelled fresh, and no shiny things. Front diff was the same. The magnetic rod didn’t have anything huge stuck to it. Not much of anything actually. These all got new crush washers. Each plug has a one time use washer that I picked up when I got the valve cover gaskets ~2 months ago.

Nothing changed. No difference in the noise. Fortunately I have a friend who owns a massive transmission shop so I’ll be seeing him tomorrow and we’re going to put the LX on a lift and have a listen with a stethoscope. I’m preparing for a transmission replacement. Probably find a junkyard one. They seem to be about a thousand bucks. It’s just weird because these four speed transmissions don’t really have failures, especially on ones that were well maintained like this one seems to have been. I just don’t feel confident with rebuilding an auto transmission. The labor and parts alone probably would end up being the same cost as a recycled part. I’m so disappointed :bang:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I would never rebuild a transmission if I could easily find a used one, but I've had bad luck with rebuilding transmissions on Hondas. Also, it appears that every person who rebuilds transmissions is on meth yet somehow still takes way too long to get it rebuilt.

LobsterboyX posted:

I test drove a few GX in my quest for my LX- I reallllllly like them.... but not.... whats the milage like on them? and its the same 2UZ-FE right?

I'm not quite sure if you're asking about GXs here, but the recent gens have a 1UR-FE in them. My mileage tends to be 13 to 15mpg, it goes up a bit if I'm doing a lot of freeway driving. Back before corona virus times, I was pretty consistently between 13 and 14mpg with my usual routine of take the freeway one exit to the gym and back, drive on surface streets to work, drive home on the freeway (but going fast up the 2N, which kills mileage when your car is shaped like a brick).

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

I would never rebuild a transmission if I could easily find a used one, but I've had bad luck with rebuilding transmissions on Hondas. Also, it appears that every person who rebuilds transmissions is on meth yet somehow still takes way too long to get it rebuilt.

I'm not quite sure if you're asking about GXs here, but the recent gens have a 1UR-FE in them. My mileage tends to be 13 to 15mpg, it goes up a bit if I'm doing a lot of freeway driving. Back before corona virus times, I was pretty consistently between 13 and 14mpg with my usual routine of take the freeway one exit to the gym and back, drive on surface streets to work, drive home on the freeway (but going fast up the 2N, which kills mileage when your car is shaped like a brick).

I actually got sent to this program called ASEP for GM when I was young and when they had the automatic trans taken apart trying to teach us how to rebuild them i was like yeah i do not want to learn this or ever do this again

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
automatic transmissions are basically sorcery

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

automatic transmissions are basically sorcery

I am certain they are blessed by a dark wizard before being put into service.

Here is the video. Sounds like I have straight cut gears if I let the engine do the engine braking.

DIRECT LINK TO IMGUR VIDEO

So this truck was before ATRAC (traction control) and the way that Toyota decided to help people with that is there is a 1st gear lockout/start in second gear button for when people are trying to get started on slippery surfaces so they can modulate power and acceleration easier. I put it on 2nd start this morning on my way to work and there was no problem at all besides being able to witness the grass growing faster than I could go.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

The ih8mud guys will know what’s up. It was the 00s with bad transmissions I think?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

So I finally found the clunk in the front end of my 100...

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/VeneratedEnlightenedClam-mobile.mp4

For reference, it should look like this:

At least the 100's arent TOO bad to do ball joints on, you can swap them out without having to remove the arms if you've got enough jacks and hammers.

Also did the 10K km, $150 oil and filter change. Stupid 11.5L sump.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

drat, the GX is only ~7.5L per oil change from what I've read.

My first road trip with just my wife and two dogs really illustrated that I need more storage options for the GX, and the baby due July isn't going to help at all, so I took advantage of all the corona virus specials posted to FB and bought some accessories. Of course they're not going to arrive for a while, it would have been nice to have them come while I'm still working from home and have a lot more free time. I leave the third row down all the time for my dogs, but my dogs take up the entire back area.

Got a 20% discount code for those orange boxx fabrication molle window panels, which I plan on using to hold my air compressor, first aid kit, tools, and my emergency toolbag:

People online got mad at the vendor for making the code COVID-19 right when this whole thing was first kicking off, so they offered a 30% discount code to make up for it, which I used to get this fold out table I wanted for when I go up into the local forest. I probably could just have used this panel for everything, but I wasn't planning on buying it right now until the 30% code. Mine is not customized and won't have VADER or darth vader on there.

Finally, Sherpa came out with their roof rack for the GX 460 and it was 10% off for the first week, so I ordered that too. Unfortunately they're shut down for an undetermined time due to CV, so I probably won't have this until summer:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Do they make those tables for 470's as well? I've found the little mesh pocket to be pretty useless, and that would make a perfect changing table. I like the idea of the little window cover, but I would be worried about breaking the window. Do you plan on mounting the air compressor to the metal?

Also, it's amazing how much poo poo you have to tote around when you have a kid. One of the reasons I got the gx is because I could barely fit all the stuff we needed for a weekend away in my old ls430. The gx still gets packed pretty full, but at least it's less of a packing puzzle than the ls was.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I should have specified it's not a proper offroading air compressor like you'd see mounted in an engine bay, just a VIAIR one that I really like (very quiet, accurate gauge built in, fast). I wouldn't mount one of those ARB compressors to it.

My kid on the way was another reason I thought that fold out table would be useful, I checked with some friends who have kids and they also agreed so it was an extra reason to get it. Usually my favorite campground in the forest has picnic tables open, but sometimes they're all full so I wanted a place to setup my gas stove and cook lunch. They do make tables for the 470s, there are a ton of options available for customization. Their page loads surprisingly slow, make sure to give it a second. I used the code BESAFE2020 to get 30% off, supposed to be good until April 1st.

I went boring all black for everything, no logos or crazy customization, and stainless steel on the cutting board, but I did get this cool light pink and white "mind binder" paracord:

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 28, 2020

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

slurry_curry posted:

Do they make those tables for 470's as well? I've found the little mesh pocket to be pretty useless, and that would make a perfect changing table.

Probably not cos the LX has a split rear tailgate so you get a full table from factory. Few guys now have pulled the carpet off theirs and fitted 316 stainless sheeting to it to make it much more useful (See Harry Fisher- Fire to Fork on the socials and toob- for an example)

Only the absolute poverty pack base spec 105’s came with vertical hinged doors in the 100 series and even they’re twin barn doors instead of one massive door like the prado’s and GX have

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

So back this fall once I onlined my 100 after fixing the rusty rockers, baselining the front end, unfucking the rusty rear end, fixing the locker, replacing all the brake and fuel lines.... I noticed after driving it the steering rack leaks. Part of overhaul part 2.

I did a lot of cool poo poo this fall, but it wasnt perfect like I wanted and some of the land cruiser 100 flaws werent addressed. Time to go all in.

Rip the front diff out to replace the weak carrier:

Leaking rack out. The steering intermediate shaft was seized on and I already bought another, cut it:

Break the heater Ts while jacking the motor up to get the rack out because you're too stubborn to undo the oil filter and a bunch of other poo poo "you're supposed to do". When Kurt Williams says four seasons are fine and order them, that's what I do.

And while the front diff... and steering rack... and steering shaft.... are all out. You have room to do... things....

Two days, a can of map gas, and some penetrant. Did I mention this was a New England truck all its life?

Going in once I get my lower gaskets that werent shipped in the order like the should have.

This week the front diff rebuild bits show up, so I can drop that off at the installer. This week and next weekend is wirewheel everything and paint, then headers and steering rack install. Going to try and get it all done so I'm just waiting on the diff to get the truck back on the road.

After that it's rear swing out install, rear light bar install, lots of other wiring projects. etc.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I got bored waiting for my PC to try and unbreak itself on my first day of leave...

And these have been in the shed since October... was going to wait till i could get all the barwork powder coated in one go but since theyre 12 nuts to remove, its not a big deal.

Went from factory mediocrity and flex

To maximum clearance, minimum short missus approval rating

To shiny new ARB hotness!

There are scrub rails to go with it, but they would have looked really odd in gloss black going to a gold coloured front bar!

And I really need to wash the truck again too.... And potentially polish it... but thats more effort than im really willing to expend right now

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Slow is Fast posted:

So back this fall once I onlined my 100 after fixing the rusty rockers, baselining the front end, unfucking the rusty rear end, fixing the locker, replacing all the brake and fuel lines.... I noticed after driving it the steering rack leaks. Part of overhaul part 2.

I did a lot of cool poo poo this fall, but it wasnt perfect like I wanted and some of the land cruiser 100 flaws werent addressed. Time to go all in.

Rip the front diff out to replace the weak carrier:

Leaking rack out. The steering intermediate shaft was seized on and I already bought another, cut it:

Break the heater Ts while jacking the motor up to get the rack out because you're too stubborn to undo the oil filter and a bunch of other poo poo "you're supposed to do". When Kurt Williams says four seasons are fine and order them, that's what I do.

And while the front diff... and steering rack... and steering shaft.... are all out. You have room to do... things....

Two days, a can of map gas, and some penetrant. Did I mention this was a New England truck all its life?

Going in once I get my lower gaskets that werent shipped in the order like the should have.

This week the front diff rebuild bits show up, so I can drop that off at the installer. This week and next weekend is wirewheel everything and paint, then headers and steering rack install. Going to try and get it all done so I'm just waiting on the diff to get the truck back on the road.

After that it's rear swing out install, rear light bar install, lots of other wiring projects. etc.

Are those Doug Thorleys? That’s badass

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I cannot push fitting a cooler to the power steering on these things hard enough- especially if your running big tyres on them.

I put a cooler onto mine at about 180k kms and it’s just clocked up 390k on the original rack. I’ve only replaced rack ends, boots and tie rod ends and it’s only JUST starting to get a bit of slop in it from wear. Most other 100’s in Aus chew their racks out or start to leak by around 250k kms

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.
GX chat

5" lift on 35's

Fuelslt1 fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 31, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

niiiiiiiiiiiiiice

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Fuelslt1 posted:

GX chat

5" lift on 35's

yo that is crazy

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

yo that is crazy

Crazy awesome.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Ferremit posted:

I got bored waiting for my PC to try and unbreak itself on my first day of leave...

And these have been in the shed since October... was going to wait till i could get all the barwork powder coated in one go but since theyre 12 nuts to remove, its not a big deal.

Went from factory mediocrity and flex

To maximum clearance, minimum short missus approval rating

To shiny new ARB hotness!

There are scrub rails to go with it, but they would have looked really odd in gloss black going to a gold coloured front bar!

And I really need to wash the truck again too.... And potentially polish it... but thats more effort than im really willing to expend right now

Somehow I missed this post, it's crazy how much clearance you gain by removing the running boards.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah, at the expense of exposing a LOT of expensive bodywork to the ground.

And getting my balls kicked into my throat by my 5 foot missus who already got grumpy when i put the lift and 33's on it because its a prick to get into for her on anything other than flat ground!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Ferremit posted:

5 foot missus

Mine too - and when I said I might want to remove the running boards on my LX I got the cooooold stare. This all after I bought her (very expensive) amp research retractable stairs for her Wrangler

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Parts coming in. Toyota used these nifty crush washers to go from header to cat section:

awww yiss

Went with the medium instead of the twin compressor. I'm already blowing the budget on this truck.

All new diff bushings, the stock ones were wasted.

Oh and I got the headers on:

Ran the wiring for the compressor and switches. My buddy 3d printed a replacement trim piece for a switch. The stock trim piece didnt come with my truck. I just blasted it with a gold I had laying around but will try and do a brown to match the trim or if I find a black center stack I'll go all black.

I have a choice to make of where I put the air compressor switch. I either extend the wiring and hack it to the left of the steering column... or I put it between the cig lighters and keep the wiring harness as is.

While the diff and rack are out I painted the frame with the usual routine. Wirewheel it off, permatex rust converter, and then chassis saver silver (they mix in alu flakes/dust in only the silver). I've had good luck with this combo and I finish everything off with just rattle can semi or flat black. When the rattle can disappears and you see silver you know you need to recoat.

Next sessions are get the steering all installed and then once the diff comes back from locker install throw that in. Then I'm nearly done the build. Just more toys to bolt on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Frame is painted with satin. Konis repainted with proper red. Heater T's replaced, just need proper clamps for them. Steering rack and lines installed today. Tie rod ends threaded on. Picked up fittings for the ARB compressor along with a hose so I can do field air up.

Tomorrow is install all the steering shaft bits and figure out where I'm bolting down the ARB compressor.

Parts order in for the last of the bits to hook up the steering pump system.

Guy who I wanted to install my locker is on a slower work schedule due to the rona. Wed I'll have an answer and if I need to find another installer. After I figure that out I should be back on the road and worrying about upgrades not deferred maintenance and rust.