Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

what about the vanilla fudge cover, though?

it's up there with comanche in pulp fiction and stealers wheel in reservoir dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

okay, so i just finished my second screening, and i noticed that the two different [Alamo] theaters i saw this at played totally different retro trailers right before the "Sony" logo when the actual movie starts, with the Bounty Law promo reel.

the first screening i saw showed a trailer for Night Of The Grizzly
https://youtu.be/O7_kmVai8bo
and something else

my second screening i saw a trailer for a Dirty Harry movie, and The Man From Hong Kong.

not sure if that was an Alamo thing or not, but I originally thought it was part of the film...

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

interesting.

yeah the regular trailers were for the mr rogers movie, that Luce movie, and i forget what else.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

yes! that was it! spying trapeze!

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

Ardent Communist posted:

Nope, the best joke was definitely the guy asking Cliff "How's the wife?" when they're at the mexican restaurant

i actually missed that during my first screening and almost missed it again during my second screening but the audience erupted in laughter so i caught it at the last second. I'm slow.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I must have a nerd blind spot because I thought everyone even casual audiences expected a history-distorting twist. The whole set up is that Tate has neighbors who are fictional people. It's why I avoided spoilers like the plague.

i think if you don't know who Sharon Tate is, you probably won't consider who is fictional or not.

cardedagain fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 29, 2019

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

:delete:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

turtlecrunch posted:

I came away thinking the movie as a whole meandered around for 2 hours then suddenly found a plot in the last 30 minutes. The Tate scenes made me uncomfortable but it was because I did know about Polanski being a rapist.

even though I've seen most of his films, i decided to look up Pulp Fiction's wikipedia page.
apparently that was originally going to be a short, except Hollywood doesn't fund shorts.
And Tarantino loves making movies and paying homage or sampling other films' works.
so I'm sure most of his movies could easily be condensed into shorts, but then he'd be a broke starving artist with minimal audience.

as far as the Tate scenes and "knowing Polanski was a rapist", did anyone in 1969 know he was? i don't know much of the history except some people were murdered
thanks to Manson, and Axl Rose wearing a "Charlie Dont Surf" shirt in the 90s, and didn't Trent Reznor record "the downward spiral" at Polanski's crib?

also, when i saw "August 8th" on the screen i thought of the NOFX song, but that's about Jerry Garcia, and his death (which was actually August 9th, 1995) but apparently that had nothing to do with it at all. but it did make me think of the hippies again.
but the lyrics include "a bunch of hippies crying" so in a sense it could unintentionally tie in to the murders n the movie, but not in real life. all in some alternate reality.

cardedagain fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 29, 2019