Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Everything I want to say about the movie has already been said. I loved it. Not my favorite QT movie, but that's ok.

Someone here said it was his most indulgent movie, and that's totally fine by me. The dude loves cinema and it was fun to see his love letter to it. He referenced pretty much every genre and type of movie.

Margot Robbie was loving great in this too. She totally commands your attention when she's on screen. Timothy Olyphant as a western star was a great touch too and he was awesome in it.

I need to go see it again while it's in theaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Ardent Communist posted:

Nope, the best joke was definitely the guy asking Cliff "How's the wife?" when they're at the mexican restaurant

How did I miss that. Not that I needed an excuse to rewatch it, but yeah I gotta see it again while it's in theaters.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

if you get a chance, check out the soundtrack. There's a good chunk of it that simulates the radio in the movie. It has the songs, ads, and DJ intro/outros setup perfectly just like in the movie. It might have been my ears playing tricks on me, but it sounded like the added a little bit of static to the songs to make it sound even more like radio.

It's really cool.

edit: When I saw the movie Saturday, I thought that yeah, it was good, but all his movies are. After a couple days unpacking it in my head (which I don't do too often), I think it's really, really loving good.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

Idgi, Margot Robbie doesn’t look anything like Sharon Tate. I’m really bemused by people seeing a strong resemblance

I say this with lots of love, but there's a lot of face blind goons.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

a new study bible! posted:

I understand all that. My only point is that it feels weird to celebrate Booth when we are literally told repeatedly that he murdered his wife and got away with it.

We aren't told that literally. Some people think he did. We are not shown whether or not it actually happened. The movie leaves it wide open. It could have been an accident on either person's part, or he did do it.

a new study bible! posted:

I also interpreted the whole Bruce Lee scene to be a fantasy so maybe I was seeing more of the alternate history and fantasy bits than there actually were.

There's nothing in that scene to indicate it's a fantasy, as was noted above. We know it went down as told given how people interact with Cliff outside that flashback.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Fish of hemp posted:

Well my take was that ending is a hallucination of Cliff. Though the film is a fairy tale (it's right there in the name), the ending's tonal shift is really weird and everything is wrapped up so nicely.

Cliff, the alleged wife murderer and washed out stuntman is actually a hero and easily beats three people to the pulp. Even his dog is actually a trained killing machine who can interpret his tongue clicks just the right way and knows who to attack first. And Dalton has flamethrower full of flamethrower gas and ready to use. Very convenient. And who are they fighting against? Those same hippies Cliff had seen once before and with whom he had a nasty and violent interaction. Of course they are now psycho killers ready to kill him and Rick. After the fight the next door neighbours who had barely even registered them come over and all of them are revealed to be lifelong Rick Dalton fans.

After all, the cigarette selling lady promised that it would give a trip.

Nothing in the movie indicates it's a hallucination.

-We're already shown Cliff is in shape and a good fighter
-We're already shown that his dog is very, very, well trained.
-The flamethrower was shown waaaaaaay early in the movie as something in Rick's garage and that's it's a real working flamethrower
-The hippies were in the neighborhood before he even smoked the acid dipped cigarette and they interacted with Rick first before they run into Cliff.

So I guess someone could come away with that take if they didn't actually watch the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Open Marriage Night posted:

I can’t really tell you. I’ve only ever seen the roadshow cut at the theater. Supposedly this uses footage from the theatrical, roadshow, and takes that weren’t used in either. There were scenes that seemed a little different to me, but I can’t really recall anything that seemed like it was crammed in where it wasn’t before.

I’m sure a more astute cinephile has done a detailed breakdown of the differences between the three versions of the film is out there, but I’m not that observant.

That roadshow was so fuckin cool. I wish studios would do that a little more often to make going to a movie feel like more of an event.