Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I too wonder if my mom is posting on there, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

For people who arent familiar with this here is the most charitable what actually happened for one of these random posts

"Why wont my child, who I told is never welcome in my home again because they married a [racial slur], not talking to me, I did nothing wrong!!"

My mom had a big history of being messed up but at this point could be summarized as "why doesn't my son talk to me, i dunno what i did wrong, all i did was talk mad poo poo about his dead girlfriend directly after the funeral??"

oh and she threw in some random poo poo about dad too who's been dead longer, real classy poo poo. anyway, it was so over the line that it made me laugh for the first time since that particular series of events began so lol thanks mom

the good part of someone going that far is that you finally clearly see them for what they are and no longer feel at all bad about never responding to them!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

somehow they always seem to have a complete, legal-like, itemized list of every single thing they've done and bought for you, just ready to go in their heads. my mother used to scream about doing this or that for me as she beat me and called me ungrateful

i have a box around here somewhere of like every single birthday/xmas/whatever card my mom sent me, not because i'm sentimental, but because i just expect that i may have to someday show it off as a defense against some bullshit.

i know it ain't healthy. but whatever, it's just a box.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I told my family to just not get me any presents, or if you must give something just give cash, long long ago. It's been less stress overall for everyone, I'd say.

The stuff people will subject themselves and others to in the quest for the Perfect Christmas is absolutely insane.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

gotta love all the WE DID OUR ABSOLUTE BEST EVERY TIME ALWAYS AND FOREVER poo poo because of course how could we ever once admit to even ourselves that we were anything less that perfect at all times

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Some of the Sheep posted:

It's this dynamic: https://www.daughtersofnarcissisticmothers.com/golden-child-and-scapegoat/ and it's a tool of abuse. You also see stories as well where the roles of golden child and scapegoat interchange when the parent is losing control of the dynamic.

Is there one of these for the poo poo I got a lot? I was an only child, and generally just kept to myself and didn't get into much trouble, but my mom and sometimes even school officials just kind of treated me like I was some problem child? I swear it felt like my mom wanted to catch me doing drugs but I never did any, poo poo like that? Like yeah I don't like doing homework every night, homework sucks, doesn't mean I'm smoking the weed and going to shoot up the school OK??

Maybe it was mostly just guilt by association or something but drat that poo poo was obnoxious as gently caress. Like if you're going to treat me like I'm some child criminal either way now I feel like I'm missing out if i'm NOT doing the crimes!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Glad it wasn't just me. Well, not glad, that sucks others had to deal with that too. But I feel a sense of solidarity. Thanks goons. :unsmith:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Prester Jane posted:

I mean my reaction to the abuse was to go find a bunch of similarly abused/dysfunctional young white makes and form a doomsday otherkin cult. We were very literally and very directly proto-chuds, right down to the haircuts and clothing choices. Don't believe me, then check out mr. Proto-altright himself Sean Kennedy- a man who would absolutely be leading the modern alt-right /IDW political scenes if he hadn't come 20 years too early:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn5TtrKyHlE

Plenty of incels/chuds are entitled shits with a personality disorder, but I'd be willing to venture that probably a simple majority are products of abusive environments; it's virtually impossible to form a healthy self identity if you've never been shown an example of a healthy human being to model yourself off of.

I was into this dude's stuff years ago. I don't remember a whole lot of it anymore but I don't recall the content itself being particular lovely about like, race or anything? Maybe the forums were, I didn't really go there. There was certainly the paramilitary vibe going on though. Dude just seemed like he wanted to be a nerd / get mad about stuff mostly, in my dim recollection. It has certainly been awhile maybe I'm forgetting something major?

I think mostly I just listened to the punk radio station lol

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Prester Jane posted:

Sean Kennedy wasn't racist, but by and large neither were militant internet atheists at the time. Racism becoming incorporated into this sort of esgelord material was an addition that didn't really start taking off till halfway through the Obama years. Sean Kennedy was more into Dungeons & Dragons influenced paramilitart LARPing than Turner's Diaries influenced paramilitary LARPing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sez9My-SdnQ

Yeah that was more what I was thinking. I wonder if any of those guys have gone off the deep end since....probably not worth looking into.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A key thing with a lot of lovely parents is there's a point where they're just mad the kid isn't their cute little boy/girl anymore and resent them for growing up.

I know a person through other people etc that I am pretty sure has this as some sort of complex and it kicks in FAST, like they seems to stop caring about their multiple kids once they start talking, or something. Obviously I'm no psych and I don't know them that well but sometimes I just get that vibe of "I just want a baby forever" off of them. There are traumas that could be related to why but man that's a lovely thing to put your kids through.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

That person should really stick to pets, yeesh.

They're bad at those too :ssh:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The age varies, I've heard it can often happen around six or seven, or maybe more during puberty in my case, but can be a point where they just become another mouth to feed, or even considered 'grown up' now regardless of how much they've actually been prepared for it. I think a lot of parents just assume their kids have the same skills and autonomy that they did at the same age even if they've never had the opportunity to learn any of those things.

Was that post somewhere that went "The life story of everyone under 40; your parents getting mad at you for not knowing how to do things that they actively prevented you from learning."

Oh hell yeah that sounds like my mom a lot.

Hey go do this chore! No I won't teach you how to do it first. Figure it out. You're doing it wrong!!
Never ever ever ever touch the stove. What do you mean you don't know how to cook?

She made me do the dishes for a long time (again, never once taught me HOW to do it, so it took me a long time and I did it poorly) and would throw her entire plate, unfinished food and napkins included, directly into the sink. Why do I have to tell my parent to clean her plate off? Why WON'T she? WTF?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

BrigadierSensible posted:

A question. And I am sorry if it is rude. But to people who grew up with parents like that, does it de-sensitize you to other people's real pain? i.e. "Yeah, I can see you crying, but that doesn't affect me because I have seen my mum do worse over a cup of spilled milk.", or are you hyper-sensitive to it, i.e. "Please please please don't be upset, I will do anything to stop you from being even the slightest upset because I am scared it will erupt into wailing and gnashing of teeth like it did with my mum."?

Both!!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I was attacked by a dog that belonged to one of the other kid's in our Boy Scout troop in the late 90s. I was fourteen at the time.

We eventually won a lawsuit against them because the dog and owners had a history of paying off victims of attacks. We (I) eventually got a $75,000 judgement against them, that would come in installments between me being fifteen and continuing until I received the rest at age twenty-one.

My parents decided to take the money and remodel the second bathroom in their house at $30,000, and my father to purchase a motorcycle from a family friend down in Florida (we're in New York/Long Island) for another $15,000.

I am with my spouse of seven years (second marriage) and we have nothing to show for the $75,000 that was originally mine.

That's really lovely. I don't have anything helpful to add, but drat, that really sucks.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

:laffo:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I've got mine set up to make my posts visible to everyone, except my mom. For thread relevant reasons.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

The problem is when you change your filters, forget to change them back, and then Vaguebook something the person you were screening recognizes.

And that's the last time my ex girlfriend ever talked to me :v:

fuckin win win scenario amirite

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
My mom birthday texted me too, I just ignored it and moved on.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Picnic Princess posted:

Apprently I forgot to block my mother because she just texted me "I'm just reaching out in hopes of getting the family back together" and I have zero interest. Not having to deal with them treating me like poo poo has been wonderful. Amazing. It was great not being called stupid and disappointing for a while. I'd rather keep that up.

hell yea keep it up

feels good

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

It potentially reads like they all deliberately got knocked up /by the same guy/. I want to believe that's obviously not the case but...

that'd be a hell of a conversation. hey can me and the gals come over later, and you'll knock us all up?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah at some point I defensively started compartmentalizing everything about myself that I could away from my mom, because I knew any and all information about stuff I like or do would somehow be used against me. Now as an adult who has always been into less-mainstream things, in secret, anytime I'm asked what kind of stuff I like I'm just like uhhhhhhhh weird nerd poo poo don't worry about it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Preechr posted:

I assume that whoever posted this has at least one quote in this thread.

There was some similarly terrible post in the social media idiots thread about it not counting if you miscarried before 5 months or some poo poo. hosed up.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
"Ok, but let me talk about myself a bunch"

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I've got a weird...semi-phobia? about tissues and tissue paper and stuff like that, I think it comes from being constantly like forcibly face-cleaned by family members and just an un-ending stream of tissue packets shoved into my coat as a kid? Whatever, they gross me out now / make me a little angry when i see them left around. I don't use them, I just use other things instead. So when someone like, leaves a torn piece of tissue on the floor I get real annoyed and kinda grossed out (even if there's nothing on it!! thanks brain!!) and refuse to pick it up. It's petty and dumb and weird and I hate it but oh well guess I'm gonna live like this forever.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Shibawanko posted:

yeah i hate tissues, i find them disgusting. i had a friend as a kid whose sister always just shoved used tissues into the folds of the couch and poo poo like that

i blow my nose with tissues but i only do that if i have a trashcan nearby so i can just dump them right away, i dont want that poo poo festering in my pocket. snot is gross but its infinitely grosser if it's been lingering in the open air on a moist tissue all day

Glad it's not just me, drat.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a real knack for lovely parents to try to teach you to do something in a way that makes you never, ever want to do it again.

My mom was a big fan of assigning me a chore as a regular thing forever, but never once in my life actually teaching me how to do it. I brute forced doing the dishes for quite awhile. Still probably don't know the proper techniques.

Rat posted:

My happy Friday night update is that after speaking with the responding officer, he agreed something wasn't right and was able to put in a request for a home assessment of mental health. Tonight mental health workers visited and assessed my dad and recognized he was delusional. He was forcibly placed in care :unsmith: he will probably be with them for some time

About the happiest outcome one could hope for honestly

Hell yeah!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
A friend of mine is basically stuck living with his lovely parents pretty much forever due to various factors. I wish I could do more to help him out. I know my life got so much better once I didn't have to live with my mom, but he's more or less gonna have to just wait for them to die to ever be free of it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Put me down as self taught ninja as well. Still to this day I surprise people by "suddenly" being somewhere I was standing for a long time, despite being a huge tall fat guy!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
my mom messages me today out of nowhere for the first time in...I dunno. maybe a year? I stopped talking to her for the last time 4 and a half years ago. Anyway sometimes she sends generic love u hope I doing well stuff, that was how this one started off too. several generic fam related messages, asking me how other people are (cuz she's not talking to them either) etc. Then she sent a photo of a horse and told me she fell off it and injured herself. then another generic message.

I feel like this was a bunch of fluff intended to make it less obvious she wanted to talk about her own issue, which presumably she hoped would get a response from me. maybe I'm just too guarded still. but nah, leaving that on read and not responding. my poor rear end also can't help but read it as "hi I can afford a horse and a doctor" but maybe that's me being the rear end in a top hat, lol.

amusingly? not once have I heard my mom mention the covid situation at all, would have thought she'd try that one by now.

anyway moral of the story is ignore your lovely parents, follow through on your cutting them out of your life, feels good.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
my mom messaged me a big string if dramatic things yesterday. i haven't replied to her in like four years and even though she basically said she was gonna kill herself this time, I continued to not respond.

of course my nicer side thinks I'm an rear end in a top hat for doing that, but my logical side assures me that if I let the suicide angle work this time, she'd just keep doing it to get responses.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It may or may not be a good idea in your particular case, but if a person is threatening suicide for purposes of manipulation the usual advice I've seen is to contact their local medical authorities for an emergency evaluation. If they're serious then they can get the help they need, if they're not then they quickly learn that that particular tactic brings down more hell than it's worth.

YMMV, especially with the behavior of emergency services towards mental health issues in your/their community.

i considered that but I have no idea where to even start looking for the appropriate resources for her town somewhere in mexico

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Mx. posted:

you don't have to do anything. ignoring her is a completely valid choice.

Thanks, this is what I want to believe too. I don't think her well-being should be my responsibility.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Do you have any contacts who could do a wellness check without you being directly involved? Ideally people who could involve local authorities if needed?

Nah, I know the name of the town and that's about it.

Miss Broccoli posted:

yeah, well, she wont bother OP any more then will she

:hmmyes:

ohnobugs posted:

Also hugs to everyone that had a bad holiday.

This too. Hope everyone is doing OK.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Picnic Princess posted:

I ought to get it too. And I also should keep it secret. Back in 2016 a woman murdered her adult daughter at Christmas and I overheard my drunk mom joke "sometimes I understand that feeling" :tinfoil:

hosed up!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Well, at least you have a highly public event to point at now and go "this is where that train of thought leads you"

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah my estranged mom was/is? very women's right equality for all taught me MLK made me watch Roots all that kinda thing. That was mostly back when she was sane though, and I appreciate that stuff cuz I am thankfully not a racist / sexist moron like so many seem to be these days.

But she still got real bad to be around and did and said a lot of poo poo she shouldn't.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

No contact is great. If you never have to look at or deal with them again, it's just as if they conveniently died one day and life moved on without them :v:

can confirm

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah. I mean, it's a bit of a catch 22 where I'm not exactly thrilled to throw down the money for a phone that I don't strictly need in the short term...but I realize in the long term I also can't claw my way towards more independence unless I get one. It's a subject that's come up before, if only because we've had a lot of issues with our internet going out (which also takes out our phone line) or storms knocking out our power for obscenely long amounts of time, so at the bare minimum having another device handy in emergencies beyond my dad's iphone isn't a bad thing.

there are probably cheaper options but i've been buying a tracfone every year or two for about 125~ bucks for phone+service and that's been working out pretty well thus far. a friend of mine is similarly trapped in a lovely abusive family situation and we just got him one to hopefully help remove barriers to him getting the gently caress out as well, hard to get ID or whatnot without one these days.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Also, if your mother has already tried "I have to drink myself to sleep every night" expect that to escalate. When I first cut contact with my family there was about a year of texts, voicemails, emails, etc from my sister telling me that my mother might have COPD, my niece may have broken her leg in an accident, my father may have had another heart attack, etc. I never ever responded, even though I badly wanted to reply "Why are you calling me instead of 911?" Eventually the constant barrage stopped, but my sister will still get drunk every few months and either be "I miss my brother, my kids miss their uncle, mom and dad miss their son" or "You're the worst brother/uncle/son in the world"

at this point my mom's occasional texts are just straight up "i should have gotten an abortion" and or "i am going to kill myself"

still ain't responding

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

boar guy posted:

block her

nishi koichi posted:

yes. you don’t have to take this

at this point it makes me laugh more than anything. i manually ignore it and go on with my day. but yeah. I probably should just block her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Grimdude posted:

So I decided to spill my guts to my mom recently. I sent it all as a longer message because to me, it was the only way I'd get these points across without being sidelined by her screaming and/or crying angrily. Basically in short, I explained why we haven't talked as much recently and why I'm so distant. That the more I've thought about it, she did her best to seclude me from everyone but her, including our own family. I pointed out how I seldom or never heard her say anything nice about anyone, and somehow she had problems with ALL of these people and it was never her fault. This kind of poo poo happened in particular with her mom, her siblings, and multiple employers who fired her. As of late, she seems to make a point out of being the most contrarian conservative rear end in a top hat possible. It's not hyperbole to say it's all she talks about. I had a lunch with her and my grandma for the first time in months and I just sat there silently staring at a wall while they bitched about black people for 30 minutes. Not once did either of them notice that it was a two-person conversation with one miserable person wishing they weren't there. Again, I am not exaggerating when I say it's her and her husband's entire personalities now. Because believe me I know how it sounds, "oh wow way to let politics get between family" but trust me it's not that mundane. It's more of an obvious side-effect to her lovely personality.

Anyway, a couple days after that I sent the message. Couple paragraphs, nothing too wild but it still took like three hours to get the ideas out and edit down my emotions a bit as to not stound too hostile. I saw that she responded by initially was afraid to look. Then I saw this preview of the message:

Upon further reading, I have completely misconstrued everything I told her. The rest of the message is her rationalizing by AGAIN complaining about how awful her brother or whoever was to all of us because she just "knows" how much they "talked poo poo about us."

What a weight off my shoulders. I had been feeling so guilty about sending that message for a week or so. But let me tell you, after seeing her lovely response I feel completely vindicated. So I guess that's some advice for anyone in a similar situation.

(Oh and if you're curious, the rest of the sentence after "But..." is "but you have to live with that perception.")

hell yeah. once they really drop the mask it becomes so much easier to distance from them.