Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like I'm on the opposite end, I barely talk to my probably narcissistic mum and I don't think she's even noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's hard to tell with Pick, she's on a level of Catholic guilt most of us can't possibly understand.

It is an incredible feeling to realise that no, you were never going to be able to make your parent content and stop yelling at you over minor random things while ignoring major ones or to accept that they made even the slightest mistake, they're just hosed up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Keep in mind that insincere yet convincing apologies are a common skill and often a survival mechanism.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

All that money's going to be grifted out of them before they die anyway.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Prester Jane posted:

Plenty of incels/chuds are entitled shits with a personality disorder, but I'd be willing to venture that probably a simple majority are products of abusive environments; it's virtually impossible to form a healthy self identity if you've never been shown an example of a healthy human being to model yourself off of.

I figured a lot of it might be from how a lot of parents don't seem to have any idea how to raise young men or even that they have to, and basicaly after they stop being cute pretty much give up on their kids and treat them like pets that you feed, water and buy fancy toys for to keep them quiet and presentable. The whole idea of 'this is a developing human being that I have to make sure has the skills and confidence to enter and function in society' doesn't occur to them at all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Is it really that hard to get super drunk and just enjoy the evening sitting back quietly enjoying it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Saint Drogo posted:

dude just keeps coincidentally flying into time vortexes when he leaves the US.

This is like what happens every time I go home to visit the family. They call me the rain god.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm reminded of the guy in r/relationships who thought a woman having twins would have two consecutive pregnancies.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

my kinda ape posted:

Still not remotely as bad as a lot of people have it. I have no idea how you could retain your sanity if both of your parents were monsters.

At that point you probably have none left to retain.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A key thing with a lot of lovely parents is there's a point where they're just mad the kid isn't their cute little boy/girl anymore and resent them for growing up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There Bias Two posted:

I think it has something to do with what the infant/toddler provides *them* versus actually having to attend to the physical and emotional needs of a more grown person. A toddler will idolize and shower their parent with attention.

The age varies, I've heard it can often happen around six or seven, or maybe more during puberty in my case, but can be a point where they just become another mouth to feed, or even considered 'grown up' now regardless of how much they've actually been prepared for it. I think a lot of parents just assume their kids have the same skills and autonomy that they did at the same age even if they've never had the opportunity to learn any of those things.

Was that post somewhere that went "The life story of everyone under 40; your parents getting mad at you for not knowing how to do things that they actively prevented you from learning."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There are dogs with less seperation anxiety than her.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Goth parenting, why the hell not.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Black is gender neutral and hides stains!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wicker Man posted:

Kid is going to grow up thinking pain is fun and will have the worst taste in everything.

Don't doxx me

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Elderbean posted:

If you ever read incel forums this is huge. They all see fatherhood as a prison that women rope men into. When they describe their ideal relationship, they still have a child (they want to pass on their legacy) but want no involvement in raising said child. They want the mother to do it all while they go to work and spend their free time playing videogames.

A lot of men are impotent and selfish children who simply cannot grasp the concept of bonding with another person unless there is someway they can personally benifit from it. Anything else is a burden.

Because it's just another milestone they've been denied in a series of arbitrary things that they think will make them Successful and Happy according to society, mostly through the TV.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Boomer pandering is just going to keep getting more horribly specific.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Captain Rufus posted:

At least I would get the satisfaction of calling her an awful hosed up person who failed me completely and made me hosed up too. Some chance of closure is better than none at all ya know?

Trust me, you don't get any satisfaction.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Someone who spends 18+ years doing the same wrong things day in day out without realising or questioning it is not going to come to a big revelation. That is who they are.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oh christ, the hypersensitivity. I've gotten better at it over the years but my stepmother (who's pretty nice) has even noticed at some points how defensive I am. Constantly catastrophising and feeling like you're walking on eggshells because they could blow up over literally anything, and just as likely brush something off or completely ignore it because they can't be bothered.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A gift is very much like an attack, a successful one must be carefully planned.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm reminded of a lot of posts and articles about how parents find out their grandparents are teaching toxic habits to their kids, like grandma trying to throw away any 'boy's toys' that little girls own and vice versa.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I remember reading something years ago saying that if your kid is friends with a kid obviously from a broken or abusive home it's important to invite them over whenever you can and provide them an example of what a healthy (or healthier anyway) family dynamic looks like and show that not everyone works and acts the same as their parents do. Otherwise the only idea of a family they're going to have is going to come from their home and from the TV.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'd say everything's a phase in the long run, but then I realised, there's nothing more goth than being dead.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

My mum once told me that Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes was eventually murdered by his parents.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Home Alone kid almost definitely ends up living in some deathtrap bunker in the woods. Or possibly becomes a cat burglar. Now there's a sequel idea.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Clitch posted:

Calvin's parents would turn off Dr. Phil after five minutes and give him a hundred dollars.

I mean hell, there's literally a whole arc about how Calvin broke something expensive and spends the whole time worrying and beating himself up over it. That happens a couple times actually. There's how many r/relationships stories about clearly troubled kids who deliberately break expensive poo poo (or just everything they can get their hands on) for the lulz and show no remorse?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

teen witch posted:

Funny thing about bringing up Home Alone - Kit Culkin was a horrendous father to his kids, like Mack is estranged from his father, I think the entire Culkin family is.

IIRC Home Alone was a massive case of stage dad to the point where Chris Columbus made sure to look out for and avoid overbearing stage parents when casting the Harry Potter movies because of how bad an experience it was for all involved.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Probably best just call it a nostalgia filter, Bratz dolls have been off the market for years. (Forcibly so, Mattel sued for obscure legal reasons)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oh wow, there's a whoooole thing about Aboriginal Australian kids being stolen from their parents and forcibly adopted into white families or white-run 'schools' that almost inevitably abuse them and treat them as slaves and consider it proof of their generic inferiority when they don't act the perfect child.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reminded of the Shazam movie, which has a pretty interesting and from the sound of it realistic take on a foster kid; given the idea of the Happy Family that's jackhammered into every single one of us since birth, being abandoned or rejected by your parents pretty much is going to leave deep, deep wounds that make you automatically suspicious at best towards anyone purporting to replace them, and make forming relationships in general often a very difficult thing when you don't have a positive example to go off of.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reflexive apologies are another coping mechanism.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The only saving grace of an estranged parents meetup is that I'm almost certainly sure it's going to end in at least one murder.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Famine is always genocide.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Antivehicular posted:

I know I and others have said it before, but I cannot get over how many of these people think that their child developing into an adult, with adult relationships and their own household, is estrangement and cruelty. I can only assume there's no book like this about sons-in-law because the primary audience is women who have been socialized to attack other women in this kind of family conflict.

Came up in the boomer thread that a ton of millennials have little to no concept of personal boundaries because their parents never allowed them to have any, even when they've been stuck living at home well into their twenties and beyond due to the economy being hosed. To overbearing and abusive parents, losing even a little bit of their total control is unthinkable and traumatic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's something about boomers in particular having completely destroyed what they consider to be good manners by making it something their kids feel like they're being forced to do at gunpoint.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That is such an odd turn of phrase. "Wonderful times I've provided for them". Not wonderful times we had together.

Apparently moms can be "nice guys" too. Insert kindness tokens -> receive love.
[/quote]

Where do you think people get the idea of transactional relationships from?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Having lots of little plastic containers is actually useful if you have an actual hobby and can store various specific bits and bobs in them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm reminded of how it's important if your kids are friends with a kid who has a clearly dysfunctional home life to invite them over when you can and show them a different family to teach them what a healthy (or at least less dysfunctional) relationship can look like, that their own experience at home is not their only option. A lot of people just haven't seen what a healthy and equitable relationship looks like, and care more about ticking the right boxes than actually talking to people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

My grandfather died when the Christmas tree fell on him.

He also used bleach in the pool instead of chlorine which is probably why my eyesight is so terrible.

I'm pretty sure this is valid entry to Valhalla. Or possibly being reborn as an elf and forced to make toys for all eternity.