Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Is Midsomer Murders basically just british Murder She Wrote, that's the sense I'm getting here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

corn in the bible posted:

Is Midsomer Murders basically just british Murder She Wrote, that's the sense I'm getting here

Maybe its just very british so i guess it wouldn't do aswell abroad because as people are mentioning it was a giant piss take of rural england.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_-Qtz70_z4

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

jazzyhattrick posted:

Wanna see a Poirot movie with Danny DeVito as Poirot and Arnold Schwarzenegger as Captain Hastings.

Now i do too

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

jazzyhattrick posted:

Can we all agree that Midsomer Murders is the worst detective show?

I've only ever half-watched Inspector George Gently but it seems like the main purpose of that show is for its elderly audience to revel in the sexism and racism of the sixties.
There's just enough progressive stuff to get it onto the TV.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mr. Bones posted:

Also, let's take a moment to remember 'Columbo's massively unpopular spin-off, 'Mrs. Columbo', featuring his previously unseen wife solving some mysteries of her own. They must have been really desperate to make this show work because they changed the name FOUR times from 'Mrs. Columbo' to 'Kate Columbo', then 'Kate the Detective', before finally settling on 'Kate Loves a Mystery'.

They also made some futile attempts to distance it from the Columbo property by having her get a divorce off-screen (Peter Falk never appeared on the show btw), before finally changing her last name AND the name of her ex-husband to remove her from the Columboverse altogether... all that for a series that only lasted 13 episodes.

Here's the hilariously sexist intro that consists of Mrs. Columbo doing laundry, washing dishes, picking poo poo up off the floor, and generally being a good little housewife :biglips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHPclZ0cNgA

Incidentally, if we are to assume that Kate Columbo was the same age as her actress that would put her at the tender age of 13 when Columbo mentions his wife in Prescription: Murder.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Mr. Bones posted:

Here's the hilariously sexist intro that consists of Mrs. Columbo doing laundry, washing dishes, picking poo poo up off the floor, and generally being a good little housewife :biglips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHPclZ0cNgA
Haha holy poo poo Kate Mulgrew was Mrs. Columbo. At least she got to be a badass Star Trek captain later in her career.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Columbo is all about class war: he's always pretending to befriend, then locking up those rich fuckers. He usually treats the regular joes with respect.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

jazzyhattrick posted:

Wanna see a Poirot movie with Danny DeVito as Poirot and Arnold Schwarzenegger as Captain Hastings.

You, sir, are a genius

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

jazzyhattrick posted:

he'd still be better than loving john malkovich. they cast a dude who looked nothing like poirot and didn't bother with any of his mannerisms.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If you want some Columbo, MeTV airs it Sunday evenings. They also do Mannix and Cannon during the week at like 2am. Mannix is really good. It’s from the creator of Mission Impossible.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Randall and Hopkirk Deceased was really good, both the original and the remake with Vic and Bob.

It's about two private detectives, one of them is a ghost, the other is the only person who can see him.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Keep in mind there were two movies before the series, and at least the first film is not typically considered part of the series (even though both were "made for TV" movies): Prescription: Murder, and Ransom for a Dead Man.

Prescription: Murder was originally written and performed as a stage play, with Thomas Mitchell playing Columbo.

STOP LITTERING
Sep 11, 2005

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Haha holy poo poo Kate Mulgrew was Mrs. Columbo. At least she got to be a badass Star Trek captain later in her career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAs-HYLdfTg

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

corn in the bible posted:

Did they allow black people to appear on Murder She Wrote? Cause that was specifically not allowed in Midsomer Murders and there was a bit of a to-do about that when someone admitted it.

E:

quote:

What do incest, blackmail and homosexuality have in common? They're all ideal Sunday evening television storylines according to the suspended Midsomer Murders producer Brian True-May. Race, however is not.
True-May gave an interview to this week's Radio Times in which he argued that his quaint little show would be ruined if it was forced to shoehorn in ethnic minorities characters.

"We just don't have ethnic minorities involved. Because it wouldn't be the English village with them. It just wouldn't work," he said.

Didn't Colombo go smart for a season? Short haircut and a new raincoat? It looked just wrong.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

There's a Murder She Wrote episode that's a sequel an obscure 40s noir film https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange_Bargain where Jessica Fletcher has to solve the mystery 30 years later. They also did a crossover with Magnum PI and, of course, the requisite 90s Virtual Reality Episode

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Shut up Meg posted:

Did they allow black people to appear on Murder She Wrote? Cause that was specifically not allowed in Midsomer Murders and there was a bit of a to-do about that when someone admitted it.

E:

Didn't Colombo go smart for a season? Short haircut and a new raincoat? It looked just wrong.

In the magician episode his wife bought him a new raincoat and he spent the entire episode trying to lose it or get someone to steal it, so he could go back to his old one

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Columbo's raison detre of loving with the rich no matter what is extremely appealing and he's fuckin rad, yeah

Ultimately the answer is that Nero Wolfe is the best TV detective, but Columbo is cool too

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 19, 2019

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Zeniel posted:

Everyone has clearly forgotten about Bannagan played by Ty Lookwell

That was George Peppard, Ty Lookwell played Bannigan

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

watching the first episode now and columbo owns, he's just making people omelettes and dropping books everywhere and smoking incessantly. i lvoe him

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Columbo is great in that he's endearing but also the most annoying person possible.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
I have all the seasons on DVD. Not the movies though.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

pretty soft girl posted:

That was George Peppard, Ty Lookwell played Bannigan

Who's George Peppard?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Zeniel posted:

Who's George Peppard?

Banacek!

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zeniel posted:

Who's George Peppard?

Hannibal from the A-Team.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Did Columbo have a crossover episode with Martial Law? Because if it didn't, Walker, Texas Ranger is still the best TV detective.

e: If Walker didn't have a crossover episode with Martial Law, it would easily be the worst TV detective.

ee: Just realized that despite having seen every episode twice, I have no recollection of what the Columbo intro music is like - did it even have a specific track? A detective series that can be successful without a memorable intro track is an achievement.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 19, 2019

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Who needs music when you have yellow text

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:laffo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKllq_xIRY8

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
holy poo poo. I have most of columbo on dvd and FOR SOME REASON that thing doesn't appear once

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
No, it's this guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J8lzqZ929g

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jazzyhattrick posted:

What about this guy? he has to be in the conversation.

Ahem.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Jerry Cotton posted:

ee: Just realized that despite having seen every episode twice, I have no recollection of what the Columbo intro music is like - did it even have a specific track? A detective series that can be successful without a memorable intro track is an achievement.

When it originally aired they'd just play the shared NBC Mystery intro beforehand (MacMillan/McCloud etc.) and then go straight into the murder. No Columbo theme song.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
My wife loves mystery shows but she'd never heard of Columbo (how?) so I showed her the first episode of it two days ago and now we're binging it. After the first two she was like 'man there's a bit of a formula to this' and I was like 'yeah this show is exclusively made up of rich jerks murdering people and then Columbo pretends that he doesn't know it was them and then he bothers them until they reveal everything and he goes to make a sandwich' and if anything that solidified her love for it

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Zeniel posted:

Who's George Peppard?

Exactly!

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
A bunch of Star Trek people have been on Columbo, it's fun. John de Lancie is in two episodes, once as a smug rear end in a top hat artist and once as a smug rear end in a top hat golf player.

Peachy Nietzsche
Jul 26, 2007

This thread's like staring into the void.
I think "This Old Man" is his de facto theme.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Did Columbo have a crossover episode with Martial Law? Because if it didn't, Walker, Texas Ranger is still the best TV detective.

e: If Walker didn't have a crossover episode with Martial Law, it would easily be the worst TV detective.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

But seriously Nero Wolfe is cool. They did a reportory company thing where the same actors are in every episode as different people as a deliberate throwback, like it's a 1950s playhouse program

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Wishing for an LA Noire-style Columbo game where the options are Pester/Pester Some More/"One More Thing..." instead of Truth/Doubt/Lie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Wishing for an LA Noire-style Columbo game where the options are Pester/Pester Some More/"One More Thing..." instead of Truth/Doubt/Lie

/Make up lie about relative from your enormous Italian family