Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Will Win
This poll is closed.
Yuko 12 66.67%
Momo 6 33.33%
Total: 18 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

They even gave her a Dark Katana like Shamiko said...

Also I love that the series literally ends with Momo showing for a date with Shamiko.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I want season 2 of the anime just for "Momo teaches you proper browsing habits"

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Elfface posted:

Newest issue on mangadex has me thinking Ryo has put so many levels in logical deduction there weren't any left for everyone else.

She's going to grow up to be one of those brainy demons.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Shamiko needs to believe in the Momo who believes in her, then she will truly become a Shadow Mistress everyone can believe in.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

lico gave excellent advice and momo should have followed it

:hmmyes:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I AM THE MOON posted:

she already has if u think about it

The initial (and kind of ongoing) joke of the series to me is that Shamiko and Momo ended up on the wrong sides. Shamiko reads like the protagonist of a standard magical girl series, she's clumsy and goofy and not really one of those brainy demons, but she's gregarious, positive, and has a loving family and generally goes around trying to be helpful and supportive. Momo, meanwhile, is estranged from her family, seems (initially) to not have many friends outside of people she fought alongside, is emotionally flat, and really likes exercise and dumbbells.

There's a couple of bits in there included just to act as character gags, but I can name at least three Precure series where the person closest to Shamiko is the pink magical girl and the one closest to Momo would be the demon girl who eventually turns face. The double punchline to the joke is that it's STILL what's happening.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Xelkelvos posted:

Shamiko just wants her tummy to be warm

And Momo's tummy to be bare.

Also hoping we keep Mollusk Mistress Yuuko on hand for future gags.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Super Jay Mann posted:

I like Anri casually dropping that Shamiko actually has been using her battle form during school all along :allears:

Even better is that nobody even bats an eye at it at this point, and moreover I totally believe this would happen. It's funny how extremely good the setting is.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Omnicrom posted:

Also hoping we keep Mollusk Mistress Yuuko on hand for future gags.

I cannot loving believe this series sometimes.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I admire any series whose protagonists can go "I know! Let's enshrine a statue and worship it as a god to non-violently resolve a complex web of relationships between a bunch of doofuses!" and then do it and it works.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

My only disappointment from this overall wonderful and heartwarming (and therefore business as usual) chapter is that Ryo didn't actually become a magical girl. On the other hand Shion might...

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Why yes series, I would like to an academic paper on the history of Medieval Japanese Magical Girls.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

esselfortium posted:

That's great. I love how serious Machikado is about its silliness, and vice versa.

That's a really good way to describe what I love about this series. See also progression of Shamiko's emotional wall form.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

"Mom bring me the Bleach. The Chlorinated one" :allears:

It's rare when the best character in the series is all of them, but I'm voting all of them for this one. Ryo is the best dark magic apprentice.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The fact that Mikan's phone is getting blasted by her parents is a really good gag on a lot of levels.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kibibit posted:

They should just kiss already

Yes, extremely.

Also looking forward to learning about the magical girl anime Momo starred in prior to the start of this series!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

That was the best possible PV for season 2.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SatoshiMiwa posted:

New Chapter - https://mangadex.org/chapter/1082460/1

This one sure is very much PLOT Nayuta Suika feels very much like big bad

With this build up there's no way she isn't.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ladies and Gentlemen and others: A villain.

Ganbare Shamiko! Protect the town and restore it to what it was!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ganbare Shamiko!

You are your Father demon's daughter demon!

Also I deeply adore how consistent this series has been in giving hints and glimpses about there having been some extremely serious season ending Magical Girl stuff that either happened or is maybe still on some level happening elsewhere in the setting. Momo being an orphan from a Magical Girl war on top of all her other scars is just another glimpse of the world, and a reminder of how special and important Shamiko's hometown actually is. Metako's line also plays into the feeling that there is enough of the setting for there to be an out there, somewhere out there.

A magical girl anime enthusiast I know said they were pleased that the series didn't take cheap shots at the genre after watching the anime, and I agree. Machikado Mazoku has both a great deal of knowledge and a deep love of the genre with the way it runs its setting and story. I genuinely would not have believed when the anime started that I'd be this invested in the story and characters of a 4Koma Genre Parody Comedy Yuri manga, but here I am!

Edit: Someone did a Google Translate on Mangadex. It goes something like:

[Page 3]
Metako : The organization, which controls you, has fallen. You no longer have to commit suicide.
Momo : I'm not dead.
Momo : For rent. (?)
Momo : What is it?

[Page 4]
Metako : Yak call you? (?)
Momo : I'm called Operation 27.
Momo : Mon-mo?

Anyone who actually can speak Russian are encouraged to chime in

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 29, 2020

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Much appreciated!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I will never get tired of seeing her give "Shadow Mistress Yuuko" as her proper name and people just rolling with it. The fact that even her teacher calls her Shamiko is great.

Also Shamiko deciding to have a training arc to be able to bridal carry her girlfriend, #lifegoals.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

chumbler posted:

Wasn't there a gag that even Shamiko forgot her actual name?

There's a bit when Mikan first showed up IIRC where she calls her "Yuuko" and Shamiko takes a moment before "Oh wait, that is my name, isn't it?"

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SatoshiMiwa posted:

That line Philosophy Shamiko made about the Angel and devil becoming one has to be more than just a one of gag right? Given the way this series goes it has to be big hint about the end game

And further I point out that as far as I can tell Shamiko still has Sakura's soul crystal thingy inside of her.

Also, I would be over the goddamn moon if that goofy bit earlier about how Shamiko wanting a cute pink Magical Girl combat outfit was secretly foreshadowing and that actually is her final form.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Momo's Skills:
Joint Locks
Falling to Darkness for No Reason in Particular

Mikan's Skills:
Making Cocktails
Launching Citrusy Attacks on Adjacent Panels

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

A jargogle posted:

I love the way falling to darkness is no longer even acknowledged and happened in between panels

At this point it's just her default magical girl transformation, they had an entire chapter about it and everything!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I see saving the reveal for Darkness Momo for the actual series itself

I'm actually super curious as to where they're gonna stop as I think all the potential end points are all pretty mean cliffhangers. I do hope we get Momo's backstory animated at least

I'm only seeing the show set to run for 1 cour/12 episodes, so I strongly doubt the series will get that far. The first season covered the first two volumes of the manga in about 13 episodes, it wouldn't surprise me if the second season covers about as much material. As a bonus, that means wood and write about where Ugallu joins the cast which seems like a decent endpoint for a season as well.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ragnar34 posted:

falling into darkness irl :negative:

Did you get a cool dark katana out of it at least?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Shamiko's first time eating quality Beef was just an amazing visual gag out of nowhere. First episode just hit on all cylinders

KAWAAAAAAAM!

And boy howdy, season 2 hit the ground running. The episode was extremely impressive on every front. Not only was it a blast with gag after gag hitting home but it also very quickly introduced every major character and gave them all a scene or two to get across their respective deals both as a vector for comedy and as actual, strongly written characters. That dual nature is the reason Machikado Mazoku rules, and it's definitely a good thing the show pushed it front and center.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I am very concerned about Shirosawa's pet fennec.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ganbare Shamiko, learn to maintain composure while cutting hair even if your home explodes because someone did a dubious thing with your shed horn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Oh hey, Plot!

Ganbare Shamiko! Become a demon who can properly delegate tasks to your Youkan subordinates!