Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

dwarf74 posted:

Dragonlance got expanded a ton in novels, but it has never been a premier RPG setting except for a few minutes during the late 80's or whatever. It's much more well-known for its books. It has some clever bits that were atypical for its era, and it prided itself on being a deep, dramatic setting, but it's still an Extremely Generic Fantasy World.

Yeah, it never really took off. They tried, though. In the late 80's/early 90's they even released a campaign setting for a completely different continent in Dragonlance, called Taladas (main continent is Ansalon.)

Somehow, it ALSO had a cataclysm at the exact same time as Ansalon, but instead of the continent shattering and creating a new ocean and whatnot, it created a GIGANTIC LAVA OCEAN in the middle of the land.

The Tinker Gnomes who lived in Taladas even made little lava boats to traverse it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rhandhali posted:

I had the companion books they made - Leaves From the Inn of the Last Home and More Leaves From the Inn of the Last Home. More songs, more (probably terrible) poetry and recipes. Many recipes. I'll see if I can't dig them up somewhere. Always tried to get my mom to cook the spiced potatoes but could never get her to go along with it.

As I was a giant nerd, I got my mom to make the spiced gingerbread pudding from More Leaves once. It's really good. Like good enough that it got copied out of the Dragonlance book and into her regular recipe collection and served to other people.

@Xiahou Dun: Shave the sides and then make a high ponytail at the top.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, it never really took off. They tried, though. In the late 80's/early 90's they even released a campaign setting for a completely different continent in Dragonlance, called Taladas (main continent is Ansalon.)

Somehow, it ALSO had a cataclysm at the exact same time as Ansalon, but instead of the continent shattering and creating a new ocean and whatnot, it created a GIGANTIC LAVA OCEAN in the middle of the land.

The Tinker Gnomes who lived in Taladas even made little lava boats to traverse it.

All that map needs are fingers and a ring...just saying...

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

All that map needs are fingers and a ring...just saying...
Q IS SENDING US MESSAGES FROM BACK IN TIME!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

W.T. Fits posted:

+1 to the list of "read a bunch of this poo poo in high school/college" pile. Been years since I read any of my old books that are packed away in storage, save for my well-worn copy of The Legend of Huma by none other than the WoW Lore Thread's favorite author punching bag, Richard A. Knaak.

I'm both looking forward to and dreading seeing where this thread ends up going.
IIRC, when Weis and Hickman handed over the reins to write, like, Darksword or whatever they told TSR, "Here you go, run with it, but please keep your drat hands off of all these things which are supposed to remain mysteries forever. #1: Huma and his legend. #2..."

And what's the first DL novel TSR releases that's not by Weis and Hickman? You guessed it...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

DrBouvenstein posted:

If I remember my box set correctly it was the same cataclysm. The whole world was going to drown in starfire but then somebody was like "wait there's like three continents of completely innocent people here" and the gods tried crashing all the meteors into each other to minimize the damage.

It didn't work so well.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

dwarf74 posted:

IIRC, when Weis and Hickman handed over the reins to write, like, Darksword or whatever they told TSR, "Here you go, run with it, but please keep your drat hands off of all these things which are supposed to remain mysteries forever. #1: Huma and his legend. #2..."

And what's the first DL novel TSR releases that's not by Weis and Hickman? You guessed it...

Given the adversarial relationship Weis and Hickman had with TSR regarding Lord Soth and Ravenloft, this doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Also, The Legend of Huma and all of Knaak's stuff involving minotaurs ruled, and I will die on this hill. Fight me.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FWIW, I put myself through all the mainline Dragonlance books ("Dragons of such and such" series), even the gillion-page one where Daddy Chaos shows up and does everyone the favor of stepping on the kender, Sturm's son is a Sith, and Raistlin is a Force ghost. I also read the Verminaard book. I barely remember any of them.

It always felt like Dragonlance was trying so hard, and then I read the Forgotten Realms book Death of the Dragon, it was way more pulpy and hyperviolent, and felt like I had been missing out on books that knew what weight they were supposed to punch at. Meanwhile, in Dragonlance,

quote:

Dragonlance's system of magic alone is hilarious and the most D&D thing ever, more D&D than anything Ed Greenwood could put together. A sorting hat figures out whether you are good, ambiguous, or evil, and then the evil wizards are not only allowed to exist at all ever, but in the middle of a city with a haunted lawn. This is the 200th dumbest thing about Dragonlance.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm pretty sure that despite playing some BESM and AD&D, then 2nd edition, then 3rd, then 3.5, and finally 4th edition over the span of 30 years, that I mentally conflated dragonlance and forgotten realms into being one thing for basically all of that time. Specifically, one thing I didn't know or care anything about.

It'll be interesting to learn all about this legendary D&D setting for the firs time in this Let's Read.

Which one has drizzt the emo dark elf?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I'm pretty sure that despite playing some BESM and AD&D, then 2nd edition, then 3rd, then 3.5, and finally 4th edition over the span of 30 years, that I mentally conflated dragonlance and forgotten realms into being one thing for basically all of that time. Specifically, one thing I didn't know or care anything about.

It'll be interesting to learn all about this legendary D&D setting for the firs time in this Let's Read.

Which one has drizzt the emo dark elf?

That's Forgotten Realms. At about the point that 3E happened, WotC began to abandon virtually every setting except Forgotten Realms, and by 4E everything was by default Forgotten Realms (3E started with Greyhawk, Gary Gygax's campaign setting, which was quickly abandoned).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The Dragonlance D&D settings also assume that your group is tracking time well enough to track moon phases so you can know which wizards are the best at any given moment.

Which makes me laugh, and laugh.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't recall there being much "setting" in the 3/3.5 core books, and by that time I was never buying campaign settings or adventures.

I guess there's the pantheon provided. And which races are in the PHB and monster manual?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The default in 3.X was supposed to be Greyhawk, which was the most generic fantasy world possible.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

The default in 3.X was supposed to be Greyhawk, which was the most generic fantasy world possible.

And it's not really overt about it, but you can tell from things like the sample dieties in the 3E PHB. Pelor ain't from no Realms I ever heard of!

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dwarf74 posted:

The Dragonlance D&D settings also assume that your group is tracking time well enough to track moon phases so you can know which wizards are the best at any given moment.

Which makes me laugh, and laugh.

There was a series of D&D video games from SSI in the late 80s (pool of radiance etc) and the one set in Dragonlance was great. One of the things it did was have the three moons waxing and waning across the top of the screen all the time and your wizards power would wax and wane automatically with them.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Evil Mastermind posted:

And yet somehow it's not as bland as Kingdoms of Kalamar, which wouldn't even have had magic and demihuman races where it not for bolting itself to the D&D ruleset.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Those who keep to the Old Ways know that turning Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Spelljammer, and Birthright variously into a small smattering of light-weight sourcebooks or nothing at all was a great crime, which will never be forgotten or forgiven.

Even the small-scale revivals carried insults, like a Dark Sun dungeon map that featured a stream of water.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Those who keep to the Old Ways know that turning Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Spelljammer, and Birthright variously into a small smattering of light-weight sourcebooks or nothing at all was a great crime, which will never be forgotten or forgiven.

Even the small-scale revivals carried insults, like a Dark Sun dungeon map that featured a stream of water.
No insult will ever match Vecna literally destroying Planescape by creating the 3E ruleset. And only shortly after the best sourcebooks for the setting were released.

Mystara/Hollow World was also a batshit wonderful setting.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I have a soft spot for Al-Qadim.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The closest they ever did to rebooting Spelljammer was doing it as a Victorian-style mini-setting in an issue of Polyhedron magazine.

e: Issue 151 for those who're interested.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah thinking back I think I only ever really completed the Chronicles. I also read the Moon book at some point, because I was hoping it was Spelljammer, and IIRC I was kinda disappointed.

I should do an F&F of the AD&D Dragonlance Adventures hardcover though. I think I still have it around somewhere.... I am probably not the best dude for it because my DL lore is ... shaky.

I have not yet the novels myself, but own like a ton of their gaming sourcebooks from both AD&D and 3.X days. I'd be happy to lend a hand, that is if I get enough free time.

I'd also like to mention that the 3rd Edition updates by Sovereign Press/Margaret Weis Productions made some small changes to the adventures here and there. I cannot recall offhand at the moment, it's been a while.

I did write up some GMing advice section on converting the Chronicles to more modern gaming groups. Mostly system neutral, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mr. Humalong posted:

I’m definitely a latecomer to D&D (never played until 2017), but what’s the general opinion of the Dragonlance setting? I know next to nothing about any of the settings besides Forgotten Realms (seems like a kitchen sink setting) and Eberron (rules imo).

It's not much of a setting outside of the first few novels. It's very approachable because the dragons are integral to the plot, there's very clearly defined good guys and bad guys, and the central characters in the books are a diverse party of adventurers from all walks of life, and they go on a world tour where they interact with basically each major culture and convince them to stop being isolationist dinguses and fight for the greater good. But hardly anyone ever uses it to actually adventure in because there's just not that much to it. But unless you're directly interacting with Raistlin or whatever, there'd be no real difference to running a campaign in Dragonlance than in like Greyhawk or a nameless generic D&D setting.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The first trilogy is very bad for a variety of reasons, and he Twins trilogy that follows it is only slightly better, but I will stan for it forever over the fact that they made co-dependent relationships the real ultimate final villain after all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Did Dragonlance invent Tinker gnomes, because if it did that might be its greatest crime of all.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Lurdiak posted:

Did Dragonlance invent Tinker gnomes, because if it did that might be its greatest crime of all.

Yes. And kender, so don't undersell it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tinker gnomes are much, much worse than kender.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Gully Dwarves

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Lurdiak posted:

Tinker gnomes are much, much worse than kender.

Disagree. Kender are actually okay in the books, sometimes, but they’re the worst at a gaming trouble.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

A tinker gnome PC can at least give you cool stuff. Like a wizard whose spells are reflavored super-science, or an excuse to break out classes like Alchemist or Artificer depending on the edition/retroclone you're using.

Kender have a customized "borrowing" random item generation table, the value and utility of collected trinkets going up based on the kender's class levels.

Gully dwarves...have nothing like that.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Kender are great except when people actually play them, because they're universally just played as 3 foot tall fishmalks with hoopaks and topknots

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Kender, Gully Dwarves, and Tinker Gnomes are the trifecta of lovely gaming races from the late 80's.

The Dragonlance Adventures hardcover from AD&D 1e has a ludicrously complex set of rules for Tinker Gnome inventions, btw.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

On the plus side, tinker gnomes did have power armor.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

What's wrong with tinker gnomes, aside from ubiquity? Before those, gnomes were "essentially dwarves, but you'll only ever meet one, and they'll be an illusionist."

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

homullus posted:

What's wrong with tinker gnomes, aside from ubiquity? Before those, gnomes were "essentially dwarves, but you'll only ever meet one, and they'll be an illusionist."

When Dragonlance says "tinker" they don't mean "Oh cool, sweet clockwork contraptions that do things!" they mean "Insane corrupted dwarves who will build whatever comes to mind except it never, EVER works right, and the only reason they're not exterminated is that it's too loving dangerous to attack their homeland because of the constant explosions."

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Kender were 95% jerks who got their jollies by robbing the party constantly, and 5% people who wanted to play halflings and didn't know the difference.

Tinker Gnomes were 100% jerks, 99% because they loving hate that rear end in a top hat playing the Kender "Oh no! Hassleboff pickpocketed the "fancy watch" I kept looking at once an hour on the dot, but that was actually a bomb with a switch I had to press once an hour to keep it from exploding that killed him (and the wizard, whoops)!" and 1% because they wanted to PK in a party where the GM has banned PKing "I didn't mean to blow them up, honest! How could I have known this device with a 85% failure chance would explode right at that exact critical moment?"

TLDR: Everyone in the party is playing D&D except the Tinker Gnome who's playing Paranoia.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 20, 2019

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Tinker Gnomes are the PG version of Oglaf's Fukken' Dwarves.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

You'd think that people would have had enough of silly tinker gnomes;
I look around me and I see it isn't so.
Some people want to fill the world with silly tinker gnomes.
What wrong with that? I'd like to know.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Meinberg posted:

Disagree. Kender are actually okay in the books, sometimes, but they’re the worst at a gaming trouble.

Tasselhoff was okay in the book (for some version of okay anyway). Kender as a species were all clones of that one slightly annoying PC but without the character arc.

Tinker Gnomes had the seed of a good idea - but they were badly executed and too much of a one note joke.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

PoptartsNinja posted:

TLDR: Everyone in the party is playing D&D except the Tinker Gnome who's playing Paranoia.

Which is still more fun than playing with the Kender, who's basically using his race as an excuse to play the absolute worst kind of Rogue/Thief (one who derails the game for everyone constantly by having a pathological need to steal nonmagical items and pocket change)

At least the Tinker Gnome is being annoying with the party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Which is still more fun than playing with the Kender, who's basically using his race as an excuse to play the absolute worst kind of Rogue/Thief (one who derails the game for everyone constantly by having a pathological need to steal nonmagical items and pocket change)

At least the Tinker Gnome is being annoying with the party

What about Gully Dwarf PCs? Do those actually exist?