Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

VanSandman posted:

Do the Quake badges stack in power when you equip more than one? I saw someone saying that they did.

Yeah, when you wear Quake Hammer, Power Quake, and Mega Quake all at the same time, they get a damage boost. This was added by the Master Quest devs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Part 23: The Heart of the Chapter

:siren: Music: Ghost Gulping :siren:

This is Tubba’s Heart. You might say it’s the “heart” of Tubba’s secret. Ha! OK, that wasn’t funny.
He has a terrible attack, so hide when he tells you he’s about to unleash it.
Try to beat him before he can do his huge attack again. Trust me, it’s dangerous. This is Bow’s turn to shine!

Tubba’s Heart has 10 HP less than in the base game, but it doesn’t matter much considering those Clubbas it’s paired up with.

We try to stall one with Sleep Stomp; fortunately, it takes, so that Clubba skips a turn.

Tubba’s heart, meanwhile…

I just have to prepare a bit, so hang on for a second.

Tubba's heart prepares for his charge attack, the first of many. We take damage from the other Clubba.

At this point, we jump on the Clubba to damage it more before we hide with Bow.

Tubba’s awesome attack misses us.

Next turn, stunning the front Clubba with Sleep Stomp is really our only hope - but Donlee kicks in and Sleep Stomp procs, dealing 10 damage and putting the Clubba in KO range next turn.

Stick around after the battle. Fighting makes me hungry.

Rude!

Blech! You wish! You don’t have a chance, you ghost-gobbling freak!
Mario! Now I’m really mad! Let’s beat this thing up!

‘nuff said.

This time, we Power Quake to get chip damage on the Red Clubba in the back.

Bow hides us again, and Tubba’s attack once again misses.

At this point, we don’t have enough FP for Sleep Stomp - or, indeed, for Bow to hide us again. So, we Refresh.

This time, Tubba’s heart gets off its pedestal, diving in for a 6-damage attack that inflicts a turn of Dizzy. This also means we can’t guard the Clubba’s attack and take a full 10 damage.
(It’s kind of a pity the Clubba didn’t do its Shrinking attack; we’d be freed from Dizzy that way. Also, the 6 damage was in the base game. The dizzy effect wasn’t.)

With Mario out of commission the next turn, we’re forced to hide with Bow or bite it. Tubba’s Heart returns to the start of its AI script, and charges up for another strong attack.

OK, at this point, we could use the Repel Gel we have to dodge the next attack, and then try to recover somehow - but we don’t have many HP healing items. And we’d still have to KO the remaining Clubba and the heart.

Or, we could take a look and see just how dangerous Tubba Blubba’s charge attack really is.

We take a full 18 damage, and die in the name of science.

After we return to the save block, it’s time to formulate a strategy. The biggest threat in that fight is actually the Red Clubbas; once they’re gone, things become a lot less dangerous. So, we need a way to deal with them.

We know Lullaby is inconsistent, so that’s out. So is Shrink Smash - though Thunder Rages could be powerful enough to guarantee the Shrink.
If we did use Thunder Rages, though we’d still have to KO the Clubbas before the Shrink wore off (and it would be reduced to around 3 turns duration by the Clubba’s status resistance). Or (in the worst case), we'd have to attempt to re-shrink the Clubbas, hoping that a second Thunder Rage took.

The other alternative is to go intense up front and KO the Clubbas like I did in the triple-Red Clubba miniboss fight: quickly, before they can do us too much harm.

Let’s try that.

This time, we head past the Windy Mill.

After picking up a Star Piece in a hidden floor panel by the Boo’s Mansion back gate, we head back to Boo’s Mansion:

…specifically the shop, where we trade in our two POW Blocks for Snowman Dolls, and also buy a Thunder Rage.

From there, we warp to Toad Town and stock up on Hot Shrooms.

When it’s done, we have a balanced mix of HP and FP restoration, as well as attack items - plus the Repel Gel we picked up, in case of emergency.

Back at Boo’s Mansion, we unequip Sleep Stomp, Shrink Smash, Power Quake, Power Rush, and Group Focus. This lets us slot in a second FP Plus, and Double Dip, instead.

Now let’s take on Tubba’s Heart for real!

We open with Bombette doing a Power Bomb...

...while Mario Double Dips Snowman Dolls.

This does a total of 14 damage to all parties.

We take 18 damage from both Clubba attacks. Tubba’s Heart charges.

At this point, the Clubbas have 6 HP and Tubba’s Heart should have 26.

This means that we can KO the Clubbas with a second Power Bomb - which was the plan all along.

We heal with a Hot Shroom, then take the 18-damage attack - on purpose. This gives us leeway to attack on the next turns before we have to involve Bow.

(Interestingly, if we’d healed with Refresh, Mario would be at exactly 12 + 7 - 18 = 1 HP. Could there be an alternate strategy for Tubba’s Heart involving Mega Rush? It’d be contingent on taking exactly 18 damage from the Clubbas, though, so if they both did their shrinking attack, you’d be out of luck.)

At this point, Tubba will charge next turn (his AI has him doing two charge attacks then a normal attack in a loop), so we tattle, to get his… wait, what?

It seems I missed something the first time while I was blowing up the Red Clubbas: Tubba’s heart counts as an ‘Elevated’ type enemy, so both Power Bomb blasts missed it. It’s probably just as well I didn’t go for a peril approach! (Not that I have Mega Rush equipped. But still.)

There’s nothing to be done but jump on the heart - but Donlee helps us out. Mario’s jump does a full 10 damage! Now we’re about where we should be, HP-wise.

Tubba Charges. We jump on him again, and hide.

Now that his big attack’s missed, we keep jumping on Tubba Blubba - and successfully dodge his 6-damage dizzy attack, so Mario stays in one piece.

We eat another Hot Shroom, just in case Tubba Blubba doesn’t stick to the script when his health is low. Bow slaps the heck out of the Heart.

Fortunately, Tubba’s Heart charges again. We’ve got him!

Bow slaps once more, and Tubba Blubba’s heart decides to run for it.

We’re not done yet. There’s still a second stage - versus Tubba Blubba himself. We eat some Cake to restore our FP, just in case Tubba 2.0 isn’t a pushover.

We also remove Double Dip - it’s done its job - and the second FP Plus, replacing them with Group Focus, Shrink Smash, Sleep Stomp, Power Smash, Peekaboo, and Power Rush (just in case!). I don’t have any idea what Tubba Blubba plus heart is going to be like, so it’ll do to be prepared for anything.

Out we go, hot on the heart’s trail.

It’s time to stop Tubba Blubba once and for all!

This is Tubba Blubba, now reunited with his heart. This is finally his true self.
Be careful, because I'm not exactly sure what his other attacks can do.
This is a typo. In the base game, Goombario had a preceding text block where he mentioned a powerful, 6-damage hip attack.

We’ve got him on the ropes! Let’s cut this guy down to size!

Interesting. Tubba Blubba only had 10 HP before, but now he’s got a full 40! Goombario’s “cut down to size” line is new, too.

We try a Sleep Stomp. It doesn’t work, and Tubba Blubba retaliates with a 7-damage slam (4 in the base game). Worse, at the end of his turn - he charges! His attack goes up by +1. That’s entirely new.

Next is a Shrink Smash. It also fails; we send in Bow to do as much damage as possible.

Tubba Blubba sits on us (for 10+1=11 damage!), then charges his attack up again. It seems he does this at the end of every turn.
(The sit attack only did 6 damage, originally.)

We’re in Danger now, so Power Rush is giving all our attacks +2. I go in for an 8-damage Sleep Stomp, and it doesn’t take (he’s probably immune).

Tubba misses us - but charges up his attack anyway! Oh dear.

We’re forced to heal. I do successfully guard the butt jump, though, and so take only 11 damage.
(Yes, Tubba Blubba charges again. He’s up to +4.)

At this point, I’m outta Hot Shrooms, and don’t have enough FP for an Outta Sight (which wouldn’t help). My best hope is to Refresh, which will bring Mario’s HP up to 13 - and hope that Tubba Blubba does the slam attack for 7+4 = 11, instead of the butt jump, for 10+4 = 14. That’ll put us in Danger and we can finish this joker off.

We Refresh, while Bow smacks Tubba Blubba. Fortunately, he does the slam! We survive with 2 HP.
(Tubba charges to +5.)

At this point, we’ve got him.

Mario Jumps for 8, his power boosted by Power Rush…

And Bombette finishes off Tubba Blubba with a 6-damage Bomb attack!

And that’s the end of him.

(I found out later that Tubba Blubba is actually weak to Shrink - I was just unlucky. Maybe I should have tried that Thunder Rage instead…)

With my heart and body united, I’m not invincible any more…

I'm actually a really sensitive guy trapped in a huge body.
I don't wanna be invincible anymore if it means I have to fight guys like you!

Serves you right! And everyone who got eaten has returned safely! Hooray!
…but I guess I'd better tell everyone not to scare old Tubba Blubba anymore.
We used to love scaring Tubba Blubba night and day because he was such a coward.
Oh well. We're not sorry for it! Scaring folks is what ghosts do, so Boo on him... Ha!

And... ahem... It was also a good learning experience.
I think I'd better experience some more of the outside world.
So... I think I'll accompany you a little longer.

And thus, Bow joins us permanently.

Done.
You’re so lucky to be able to travel with me.
Gweaah heh ha!

And there’s one last piece of business to take care of…

After solving the secret of “Invincible” Tubba Blubba, Mario and party set free Star Spirit Skolar.
Now, with Tubba Blubba just a bad dream, the Boos are free to haunt to their hearts' content.
Even the lonely wind echoing through Gusty Gulch seems to be celebrating the victory...
…at least for now.
With newest party member, Bow, in tow, Mario and friends are ready to take on their next challenge.

But we’re not done yet.

I wonder, too. I'm so worried... what if Mario got hurt...?

Well... Um... No use wondering! Why don't we go out and try to eavesdrop again?

So we do.

Your Wretchedness, I keep trying to tell you.
Tubba Blubba was... gulp... defeated by Mario.

Yes, the wall makes the same loud grinding noise.

Your Filthiness... we have to come up with another tactic, and quickly.
Mario will most likely go to Shy Guy's Toy Box next.

Yes... So we should prepare something there for his arrival.
I won't be satisfied just having him beaten up anymore!
What we need to do is find his weak point and completely humiliate him! Yeah!
Kammy Koopa, you've gotta find out what Mario hates, and...

I can chalk Bowser not noticing until now up to generalized tantruming, but for the life of me I don't know how Kammy Koopa didn't notice.

No... Wait, hang on. This is actually good timing, my mischievous princess.
We're just discussing the weak points of our mutual friend, Mario.
So... Princess Peach... What do you know about his weaknesses, huh?

There’s a reason these choices are all blank - you get to help decide what Mario’s going to face! Read to the end of this post for the details.

Oh, excellent! Perfect! Thanks, Princess!
Gwaa ha ha ha ha!!! Be sure Mario can't avoid these things that he hates! We'll beat him for sure!
Did you get all that, Kammy Koopa? Get going immediately!

Alas, once Peach gives her answers, she’s rushed from the room - and we shall soon return to Mario.

Badges: 38/89

Recipes: 10/50

Star Pieces: 53/180?

Chuck Quizmo’s Quiz Questions: 18/64?

Game Overs (this time): One - from our first attempt at Tubba Blubba.
Game Overs (total): 14.

SUMMARY OF CHANGES FROM MAIN GAME (in this installment)

• Tubba’s Heart trades bulk for attack, hires bodyguards. (-10 HP, regular attack inflicts Dizzy, charge attack has +6 Attack. Also comes with two Red Clubbas in tow.)
• Tubba Blubba not a pushover, even without being invulnerable. (+30 HP, +3 Attack (+4 for butt-jump attack). Gains +1 Attack every turn. Immune to all statuses except Shrink.)

Next Time On Master Quest: Time for a nice, relaxing vacation in Toad Town!

So, two questions to the audience:

1. What will Mario face in his trials in the Toy Box?
I’m leaving it up to you to decide!

Choice 1: Goomba, Anti-Guy, Mushroom
Choice 2: Fuzzy, Hammer Bros., Thunder Rage
Choice 3: Pokey, Koopatrol, Super Soda

Please note that this is Master Quest. I can’t be sure that selecting any given input will yield that result once Mario actually gets to Shy Guy’s Toy Box!

2. We can buy another badge from Donlow. What should it be this time?
Getting the Super Boots has given us access to a fund of Star Pieces hidden in the ground of the Mushroom Kingdom - we should have about 30-40 once we raid ‘em all. So, we can buy any badge we feel like!

For reference, here’s what Donlow still has for sale:

Attack FX A: 1 , 0 BP - Changes the sounds of Mario’s attacks. No other use.
Chill Out: 2 , 1 BP - Prevents Mario from being hit by an enemy First Strike.
Pay-Off: 3 , 1 BP - Makes extra coins appear after a battle if Mario was beaten up a lot.
Berserker: 5 , 0 BP - Boosts Mario’s Attack by a large amount (2-3?), but he acts on his own, and the player only controls the partner. Note that only Mario can use items and Star Spirit powers.
HP Drain: 5 , 3 BP - Reduces Mario’s attack by 1, but he restores 1 HP each time he hits an enemy. (Multi-hit attacks count each enemy separately.)
Pretty Lucky: 7 , 4 BP - Enemy attacks have a 1 in 10 chance to miss.
Note: This badge is going to be reworked in the upcoming final version. I don’t know exactly how it’ll change, but the devs have stated it won’t use evasion-based random elements anymore.
Heart Finder: 7 , 2 BP - Makes 1-3 extra HP-restoring Hearts drop from enemies after a battle.
Flower Finder: 7 , 2 BP - Same as Heart Finder, but with FP-restoring Flowers.
Happy Heart: 10 , 2 BP - Has a 33% chance to restore 1 HP each turn.
Happy Flower: 10 , 2 BP - Same as Happy Heart, but with FP.
Mega HP Drain: 20 , 5 BP - Reduces Mario’s attack by 2, but he restores 2 HP each time he hits an enemy. Stacks with HP Drain.
Flower Saver: 20 , 5 BP - Reduces the FP cost of moves by 1, to a minimum of 1.
Crazy Heart: 20 , 5 BP - Has a 50% chance to restore 3 HP each turn.
Flower Fanatic: 30 , 8 BP - Reduces the FP cost of moves by 2, also to a minimum of 1. Stacks with Flower Saver.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Let's deal with a Mushroom, Thunder Rage, and Super Soda just to see if Master Quest turned them into a bait option.

For badges, let's get Pay-Off, to take advantage of all that damage going our way.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Now I'm just wondering if the hack changed this segment to where Bowser actually puts in something different to what you pick just to gently caress with the player.

Anyway, the only reason we'd be playing this is to be masochistic, so let's be honest and just go with Anti-Guy, Hammer Bros., and Koopatrol. Besides, it's uncouth for royalty to lie. Also, let's pick up Flower Fanatic. Getting more mileage out of our FP pool seems like something we're going to need.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
oh nooo, don't throw all those horrible helpful items at mario ha ha ha

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Goomba, Fuzzy, Pokey, and Flower Fanatic for the badge. The mod makers would probably try to gently caress the player over for going with the items, while there's a chance they left the "weak" enemies the same, or will only give them a slight buff.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Goomba (c'mon, the mushroom is useless, and we'll already be able to see Anti-Guy Hell later), Thunder Rage, and Super Soda

Get Crazy Heart

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Pay-Off. can’t say I’m into the heart adding in cronies to the place where nobody is supposed to go, that they might find out his secret, or the second fight being so hard. Whole point is that the heart is the real fight and TB-reunited is a joke. :colbert:

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Anti-Guy :twisted:

I don't care about the rest. curious if the helpful choices are a bait and switch though.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Anti-Guy, Hammer Bros, Koopatrol. Princess Peach is a paragon of virtue and not a liar. I can't believe you'd all want to be such a bad influence on her.

Also EXP is worth more than items.

Flower Fanatic and Pay-Off for badges.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

Let's deal with a Mushroom, Thunder Rage, and Super Soda just to see if Master Quest turned them into a bait option.

For badges, let's get Pay-Off, to take advantage of all that damage going our way.

TheMcD posted:

Now I'm just wondering if the hack changed this segment to where Bowser actually puts in something different to what you pick just to gently caress with the player.

Anyway, the only reason we'd be playing this is to be masochistic, so let's be honest and just go with Anti-Guy, Hammer Bros., and Koopatrol. Besides, it's uncouth for royalty to lie. Also, let's pick up Flower Fanatic. Getting more mileage out of our FP pool seems like something we're going to need.

Leraika posted:

oh nooo, don't throw all those horrible helpful items at mario ha ha ha

Randalor posted:

Goomba, Fuzzy, Pokey, and Flower Fanatic for the badge. The mod makers would probably try to gently caress the player over for going with the items, while there's a chance they left the "weak" enemies the same, or will only give them a slight buff.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Goomba (c'mon, the mushroom is useless, and we'll already be able to see Anti-Guy Hell later), Thunder Rage, and Super Soda

Get Crazy Heart

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Anti-Guy, Hammer Bros, Koopatrol. Princess Peach is a paragon of virtue and not a liar. I can't believe you'd all want to be such a bad influence on her.

Also EXP is worth more than items.

Flower Fanatic and Pay-Off for badges.

Wow, none of made a choice that was in the list of options Quackles provided. Is it hard to read or something?

I'll go for Choice 1: Goomba, Anti-Guy, Mushroom since I want to see what they did with the Anti-Guy.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Chapter 3 went pretty smoothly. It's always nice seeing how much a gently caress-off huge damage a specific attack does (in Paper Mario's frame of reference), if it really is as awesome as the enemy doing it exclaims. The backtracking and cooking didn't feel unreasonable with the distance/time taken, and you got through it with on the second attempt with better planning and information. Even then, things still could've gone very wrong on that attempt.

For the weaknesses and badges:
Anti-Guy (You're probably gonna fight the one guarding the badge chest anyway, and who knows if this choice will be twisted to 2 at once or something)
Hammer Bro
Koopatrol

The upside is that you should still get a generous amount of star points to get another level faster by doing the harder fights, so this is actually better in the long rung.

I also vote to pick up Happy Flower. It might make the difference between getting a special move off to close out a fight versus losing because you're off by one. It only costs 2 BP and 10 star pieces, FP costs generally are increased, and a 1/3 chance of getting one FP back per turn can add up over a long fight to squeeze in just one more move.
Happy Heart also seems like it's counterintuitive if you ever try a danger/peril strategy requiring exact amounts of health, and in a situation where an enemy attack will do something like 10 damage and kill you anyway, randomly getting one HP to bump you out of danger/peril can also rob you of the damage needed to end the fight. So I still vote for Happy Flower.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Wow, none of made a choice that was in the list of options Quackles provided. Is it hard to read or something?

In the toy box, there are 3 "sectors" where you encounter something taken from the 3 lists. Sector 1 would contain a Goomba, Anti-Guy, or Mushroom, the options from list 1. Sector 2 would contain a Fuzzy, Hammer Bro, or a Thunder Rage, the options from list 2. Sector 3 would contain a Pokey, Koopatrol, Super Soda, the options for list 3.

But with how the toy box voting is laid out by Quackles:
code:
Choice 1: Goomba, Anti-Guy, Mushroom
Choice 2: Fuzzy, Hammer Bros., Thunder Rage
Choice 3: Pokey, Koopatrol, Super Soda
It implies that by picking choice 1, you would encounter a Goomba in sector 1, an Anti-Guy in sector 2, and a Mushroom in sector 3. But that is not how the pick your poison part of Chapter Four works, determined here. It works with the explanation above the choice list.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Well, I got confused then. Just fight the Anti-Guy, whatever.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

BisbyWorl posted:

I agree, entirely because I want to see if they troll the player for choosing the easy options.

Badge-wise, Flower Fanatic seems like it'd be pretty helpful.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'm gonna vote all items too just to see what happens.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

anti, hammer bros, koopatrol
flower fanatic

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 5, 2019

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Well, I got confused then. Just fight the Anti-Guy, whatever.

Is it hard to read or something?

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Mushroom, Thunder Rage and Super Soda, I wonder how the dev punishes cowards.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Cheez posted:

Is it hard to read or something?

Yes, especially during the weekend.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

All items is probably the best place to look for trolling but I find it hard to believe there aren't changes to all the options. If I were doing this, I probably would keep the selections and sub-areas the same to lull people into a false sense of security and change the chapter boss fight instead.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Take all the items. If they're baits, we might as well see the new content. If not, at least it'll be some help you can get for MQ. Or at least less opportunities for the game to murder you.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Anti-Guy, Hammer Bros., and Super Soda.

there's special text if you pick anti-guy

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

FoolyCharged posted:

anti, hammer bros, koopatrol
flower fanatic

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Quackles can have all my votes to use at his discretion, I have no preference here. I will say that I chose all the most difficult enemies here (though I made a copy of my save file beforehand in case I got stuck and needed to revert it), but found them manageable so I never went back to check what happens for the other choices.

I struggled quite a bit with Tubba's Heart (think I died three or four times before realising I had to change my strategy and come back with different items), and my eventual strategy was a bit different to this one. The most important thing at the beginning was mitigating damage and killing the Clubbas as fast as possible, so I brought in 3 Thunder Rages and between that and Bombette I could more or less guarantee I'd shrink at least two of the three targets (the heart's vulnerable to shrink too). Once it's shrunk, even the charge attack isn't incredibly devastating, so it's not the worst thing to take a hit from it rather than dodging with Bow (and the timing isn't awful to get used to). I think I ended up getting shrunk by a Clubba hit and had to fall back on having Mario use a Shooting Star to finish them off (which is a limited resource at this point of the game, I think there's only the one from the balcony in Goomba Village). I didn't use Double Dip, but seeing this I definitely should have!

Once the Clubbas are dead, you actually have room to waste a turn using Tattle, and the heart's not too terrible on its own, so I switched to Bow to finish out the fight from there. Every time I attempted to Tattle the heart while the Clubbas were alive, wasting that turn was enough to make me lose the fight.

Tubba Blubba himself, again, is pretty vulnerable to Shrink, and I had Thunder Rages left, so I shrunk him and then he was pretty easy. I remember being pretty terrified during this fight due to the charge-up imposing a sort of time limit, being low on resources from the heart, and not wanting to have to redo the whole thing if I failed. This mechanic will show up quite a lot in future fights, I'm pretty sure Thamz likes it a lot; I personally am a bit conflicted about it, because I don't like the way it imposes time limits on the fights and makes mistakes harder to recover from (because if you take a bad hit and lose a turn to healing, that's made the boss stronger).

This is a good fight in the sense that it's clearly a solveable puzzle and is reasonable to do once you know the solution, but oh boy was it terrifying at first glance and until you figure out a trick.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Quackles' choice, though I hope we get a sense of what happens in all permutations.

What happens when you fight normal, invincible Tubba Blubba? Does he have a Tattle? Can you flee?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Discendo Vox posted:

What happens when you fight normal, invincible Tubba Blubba? Does he have a Tattle? Can you flee?

Yes, he has a Tattle. He hasn't been changed from the base game at all, as far as I can tell - he still has 10 HP, and his attacks do 4 and 6 damage.
And yes, he's still invincible.

This is Tubba Blubba. He is one of Bowser's toughest followers and he's the master of this cursed castle.
His defense power is unknown. Everyone says he's invincible because he has never been hurt.
I'd say it's a good idea to run from immortal enemies! If you get in deep trouble, Bow can hide you from him.

In Invincible Tubba's AI script, you can run from him - but he'll also wander off and end the battle if you hide with Bow.

quiznossubs92
Nov 8, 2010
I'd like to see all the hard enemies for max EXP. Antiguy, Hammer Bros, Koopatrol please. Even though I'm expecting shenanigans if you pick all items.
For a badge, either Flower Fanatic or Flower Saver, whichever is in the lead/Quackles is more comfortable with.

8BP is a pretty large commitment for Fanatic.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Flower fanatic and all items.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

So far we're at:

Flower Fanatic •••••,•••
Pay-Off •••
Crazy Heart •
Flower Saver •
Happy Flower •

Anti Guy •••••,••••
Mushroom •••••,•••
Goomba ••

Thunder Rage •••••,••••
Hammer Bros •••••,••
Fuzzy •

Super Soda •••••,•••••
Koopatrol •••••,•
Pokey •

Voting will remain open until I make the next episode, which may take a little time. Currently, Thamz is gearing up for the final release of Master Quest, but there are some delays. I'd like to wait for final release before starting Chapter 4, if possible.

So, for your amusement, have a pic of a Paper Mario romhack that doesn't actually exist:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Quackles posted:

So far we're at:

Flower Fanatic •••••,•••
Pay-Off •••
Crazy Heart •
Flower Saver •
Happy Flower •

Anti Guy •••••,••••
Mushroom •••••,•••
Goomba ••

Thunder Rage •••••,••••
Hammer Bros •••••,••
Fuzzy •

Super Soda •••••,•••••
Koopatrol •••••,•
Pokey •

Voting will remain open until I make the next episode, which may take a little time. Currently, Thamz is gearing up for the final release of Master Quest, but there are some delays. I'd like to wait for final release before starting Chapter 4, if possible.

So, for your amusement, have a pic of a Paper Mario romhack that doesn't actually exist:

It's a lovely morning in the Mushroom Kingdom, and Bowser is a Horrible Goose.

Just to make sure the anti guy sticks, Anti guy. Don't care about the rest.

Is there some kind of soft ETA for final release?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Supremezero posted:

Is there some kind of soft ETA for final release?

Thamz was observed saying "Somewhere between a week and two months". That was a week ago; now there's a note in the Discord saying that development is stalled, so I'd guess 1-2 months.

If we go long enough with no news, I might start another LP to keep my hand in.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Anti-Guy, Thunder Rage, Koopatrol, and Flower Fanatic.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Quackles posted:

:honk:

Quackles posted:

Thamz was observed saying "Somewhere between a week and two months". That was a week ago; now there's a note in the Discord saying that development is stalled, so I'd guess 1-2 months.

If we go long enough with no news, I might start another LP to keep my hand in.

TTYD? There's only 2 in the LP Arcive, 1 screenshot that used Waffle Images, and 1 video that used Google and Daily Motion. The screenshot one is dead, but at least the internet archive has the videos for the other one.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Flower Fanatic, Mushroom, Thunder Rage, Super Soda

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Kheldarn posted:

TTYD? There's only 2 in the LP Arcive, 1 screenshot that used Waffle Images, and 1 video that used Google and Daily Motion. The screenshot one is dead, but at least the internet archive has the videos for the other one.

I absolutely am not planning to LP TTYD at this time. That's a grand project by itself!

Instead, if I start a new Let's Play, it'll be AGAIN: Eye of Providence!

This game was the second-to-last game ever published by Cing, of Hotel Dusk fame. It's quite the fun murder mystery, about an FBI agent who starts gaining the power to see psychic visions of past crimes.

In my opinion, it's a little-known gem, so I'll be glad to share it with all of you - when I do.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Guess I may as well vote too since i'm watching the thread.

Anti guy, thunder rage, super soda.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Anti-Guy option

Flower Saver because you seem to be jonesing for BP and 3 levels worth of BP is a BIG loving ASK. I might consider taking Happy Flower but items with a chance to activate give me heartburn. How long do battles last, on average?

Quackles posted:

Instead, if I start a new Let's Play, it'll be AGAIN: Eye of Providence!

This game was the second-to-last game ever published by Cing, of Hotel Dusk fame. It's quite the fun murder mystery, about an FBI agent who starts gaining the power to see psychic visions of past crimes.

In my opinion, it's a little-known gem, so I'll be glad to share it with all of you - when I do.

yo this sounds like my poo poo

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

SSNeoman posted:

Flower Saver because you seem to be jonesing for BP and 3 levels worth of BP is a BIG loving ASK. I might consider taking Happy Flower but items with a chance to activate give me heartburn. How long do battles last, on average?

If battles last for too long in Master Quest, you're going to take a lot of damage. Typically they tend to be short unless I'm up against a weak enemy I can safely stall out. Two or three turns?

SSNeoman posted:

yo this sounds like my poo poo

I'll let y'all know if/when this thread opens.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So that's like 2-3 FP at best. Maybe 6 tops for especially protracted boss fights. yeah that's not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Is there a reason nobody is voting crazy heart?

With fights going as long as they do the regen seems legit.