Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Hmm, something tells me Mangetsu is not in fact a very ordinary bored girl

Her VA really went all out during that scene, like holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

Hmm, something tells me Mangetsu is not in fact a very ordinary bored girl

Her VA really went all out during that scene, like holy poo poo

I do actually wonder if that was memory leakage from her opponent that she just could not handle in the slightest.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

that's definitely what i felt they were hinting at, unless it turns out mangetsu has been hiding mommy issues from us

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I thought it was both really. I suspect that her current parents aren't her real parents, and that her plight is somehow similar to Nene's. Which is what snapped her out of Berserker Mode

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Is she some kind of Granbelm Jesus?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Mangetsu comes off as the walking avatar of the weird clockwork thing that the Granbelm participants are fighting over.

Also please continue to give Aoi Yuuki villain roles.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

what the gently caress

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
rip

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i posted that before seeing the after-credits so i didn't realize it actually fit more than i expected

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I can't believe the people posting about this show going Madoka based on literally zero evidence were 100% right

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Elephant Parade posted:

I can't believe the people posting about this show going Madoka based on literally zero evidence were 100% right

You mean except for the initial blurb being an almost carbon copy of Madoka, including the pink hair?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ahahaha And I was thinking that ending was too happy.

I hope their mum is okay.
:ohdear:

I'm guessing now that Suishou is a winner of a previous Granbelm who made a wish for the competition to continue?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Fangz posted:

I'm guessing now that Suishou is a winner of a previous Granbelm who made a wish for the competition to continue?
I thought Nene's mother was the winner? Nene talked about her being a "witch" at this point, and in the most recent episode Shingetsu mentioned that "Witch" is the name given to the winner of Granbelm.

Fangz posted:

I mean, technically we only saw blood running down her hand, but she didn't look okay.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Elephant Parade posted:

I thought Nene's mother was the winner? Nene talked about her being a "witch" at this point, and in the most recent episode Shingetsu mentioned that "Witch" is the name given to the winner of Granbelm.

I doubt those refer to the same thing. Nene-mom called herself a "maja" in japanese IIRC, whereas the winner of Granbelm is called an engrishy "The Witch". I think Nene-mom was just using "maja"/witch as a catchall for mages.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Spiritus Nox posted:

I doubt those refer to the same thing. Nene-mom called herself a "maja" in japanese IIRC, whereas the winner of Granbelm is called an engrishy "The Witch". I think Nene-mom was just using "maja"/witch as a catchall for mages.
Yeah, you're right. Simulcasts!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Anyway, post-credits aside, I really liked the big reveal this episode. One of those things I hadn't even thought of and then kicked myself for missing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Wait, which reveal are you talking about?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sindai posted:

Wait, which reveal are you talking about?

That it was actually Shingetsu who always did Anna's most impressive magic and everyone around her just couldn't bring themselves to tell her

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I don't think Anna's mum is dead, FWIW, but I feel like at this point the only way this is gonna end with Anna not dying is Shingetsu mindwiping her like what happened with Nene's mother. And maybe the rest of the family as well :(

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Spiritus Nox posted:

That it was actually Shingetsu who always did Anna's most impressive magic and everyone around her just couldn't bring themselves to tell her

I honestly found this kind of weird and ham-fisted. I initially figured they were going for a "you were always best when working with Shingetsu" angle rather than a "you were actually always completely worthless as a mage and we let you think you weren't to spare your feelings" angle. Once the latter became apparent it just kind of felt stupid that her mom never told her the truth about the technique she was so proud of for what appears to be like a decade, despite it being the primary driving force behind Anna's problems.

"It was to spare her feelings" as an excuse feels awkward and nonsensical when there's a scene in this ep about Anna's mom straight up telling Anna "you can't use our super magic crystal because you're not strong enough and you can't measure up to Ernesta anyway" to her face well before the big reveal, during which she hardly spared Anna's feelings.

Fangz posted:

I don't think Anna's mum is dead, FWIW, but I feel like at this point the only way this is gonna end with Anna not dying is Shingetsu mindwiping her like what happened with Nene's mother. And maybe the rest of the family as well :(

With Nene, we've observed that people don't die in the Granbelm fights even if they are destroyed rather spectacularly, so there's probably room for Anna to be defeated without death provided she doesn't somehow kill herself. That said, I have no idea if there's even a way to resolve her grudge short of some kind of death/mindwipe, yeah, given that her response to the big revelation here was "kill or at least badly injure mom to steal crystal for revenge".

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Kanos posted:

I honestly found this kind of weird and ham-fisted. I initially figured they were going for a "you were always best when working with Shingetsu" angle rather than a "you were actually always completely worthless as a mage and we let you think you weren't to spare your feelings" angle. Once the latter became apparent it just kind of felt stupid that her mom never told her the truth about the technique she was so proud of for what appears to be like a decade, despite it being the primary driving force behind Anna's problems.

"It was to spare her feelings" as an excuse feels awkward and nonsensical when there's a scene in this ep about Anna's mom straight up telling Anna "you can't use our super magic crystal because you're not strong enough and you can't measure up to Ernesta anyway" to her face well before the big reveal, during which she hardly spared Anna's feelings.

It was stupid of them, but not unrealistic. When you lie to a loved one, it often feels easier to maintain that lie—even if doing so requires hundreds more—than to tell them the truth. Honestly, I like that Shingetsu and Anna's mother said the wrong things in the conversation—it would have felt less "real" if they had said the right things and reached a positive conclusion, given the degree of enmity Anna felt and the way in which she had just been taunted by Shisou.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Shingetsu's mistake was not realising that cooking the hotpot is the essential component of Mangetsu making friends with everyone.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Elephant Parade posted:

It was stupid of them, but not unrealistic. When you lie to a loved one, it often feels easier to maintain that lie—even if doing so requires hundreds more—than to tell them the truth. Honestly, I like that Shingetsu and Anna's mother said the wrong things in the conversation—it would have felt less "real" if they had said the right things and reached a positive conclusion, given the degree of enmity Anna felt and the way in which she had just been taunted by Shisou.

I actually agree with you in concept! The whole setup would have worked really well if not for the scene where Anna demands the big stone and her mom talks down to her about it, because it punctures the "we don't want to destroy Anna's feelings" bubble a bit when her mom pretty brutally punctures her feelings shortly before the big reveal.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

To be fair, it's not like they all got together to coordinate this.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah it was pretty spontaneous and Anna's mom was doing her best at consoling her large disrespectful daughter and chose her words poorly. No one expected that there was going to be a moment of emotional catharsis when Anna burst out of the basement waving a battleaxe.

Fangz posted:

I have a similar theory, and I want to layer on that a bit further: Mangetsu is the walking incarnation of the Magiocontus and has arisen as an immune response after the previous round of GRANBELM. So a bit from FATE, a bit from MGRP.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
This show is blowing my mind right now, I wasn't expecting it to go this path but I was pretty sure the episode was ending a little too calmly before the credits roll. On some level I was thinking "oh, okay. that's a pretty anime thing to do there but alright" Then the after credits happened. Oh dear.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The credit interruption was a neat trick and caught me completely off guard

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The credit interruption was a neat trick and caught me completely off guard

Yeah it was great.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Lol, I completely missed how desensitized Shingetsu is to Anna's antics:
https://twitter.com/cubewatermelon/status/1160388765036285952

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Did Shingetsu just loving kill Anna

I'm supposing that the rule is that if you go berserk mode (like Mangetsu did in a previous episode), as shown by the gears turning, then if you die in the game you die for real? Or perhaps it comes down to the magical backlash effect from using the stone? Or maybe Anna is still okay in the real world.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 16, 2019

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Jesus christ, I hope Anna’s VA took some time after this episode to rest her vocal chords.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Apraxin posted:

Jesus christ, I hope Anna’s VA took some time after this episode to rest her vocal chords.

Yoko Hikasa is only doing Maria in Symphogear so welp no rest for those vocal chords

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

Did Shingetsu just loving kill Anna

I'm supposing that the rule is that if you go berserk mode (like Mangetsu did in a previous episode), as shown by the gears turning, then if you die in the game you die for real? Or perhaps it comes down to the magical backlash effect from using the stone? Or maybe Anna is still okay in the real world.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the other mages haven't taken the gems into their bodies the way Anna did with the big one mid-episode, right? Could be that when she did that, she became too entwined with whatever Magiaconatus sucks up when your mech gets destroyed, and got taken away with it.

Still a reasonable chance she turns up alive in the real world next episode tho, IMO

Also, the preview makes me wonder if Suisho might be trying to make Kuon her next thrall or something now that Anna's out of the picture.

Speaking of which, this episode only makes me more curious as to what Suisho's after. It obviously comes off like she engineered this whole turn of events in order to destroy Anna, but why? Her past displays have left little reason not to assume that she couldn't just zap Anna herself if she needed to, so why engineer things to force Shingetsu to do it? Did she want Shingetsu to win, maybe?

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 17, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

From a strategic point of view she might have wanted to see what tricks Shingetsu can pull. Like Shingetsu seems to have been fighting with a hand behind her back so far, but whatever her spirit summon was this episode seems to be some suggestion of her real power.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

From a strategic point of view she might have wanted to see what tricks Shingetsu can pull. Like Shingetsu seems to have been fighting with a hand behind her back so far, but whatever her spirit summon was this episode seems to be some suggestion of her real power.

That's a fair point.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I honestly can't think of a female villian character I've enjoyed hating and being shocked by quite as much as Anna. (I can't say villian in general because Yoshikage Kira is my number one pick) The fact she not only nearly killed her mom to get that stone, but when her little sister comes pleading she goes "That's cute, but I'm gonna go kill your adoptive sister now, ok? I'm gonna enjoy this so much!" And at every turn she's given chances to try and redeem herself and she uses them to try and kill. She legitimately doesn't want to be redeemed and she can't get any satisfaction without doing this, despite how much Shingetsu really, really doesn't want to hurt her.

Honestly if the show can manage to make Suisho more interesting than THAT after this I'll be really impressed.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I hope she lived because I really want to see how she reacts to losing.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Anna owns.

Not sure how they are going to top this in the finale.
Mangetsu had some good screaming earlier, so looking forward to what kind of magical robot bullshit Mangetsu VS Shingetsu could end up having.

Not sure how it could top Adrenaline-Dopamine-Endorphine though

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sindai posted:

I hope she lived because I really want to see how she reacts to losing.

Going to find herself another battle axe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

This show is good.