Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Mangetsu, an ordinary schoolgirl (who happens to have naturally pink hair...) finds herself drawn suddenly into a mysterious alternative universe full of magical girls piloting mecha.

She befriends one of the girls, Shingetsu, who explains that she has joined the Granbelm - a series of magical contests every full moon, where the descendants of the ancient mage families battle (not to the death!) to become the Princeps, the only mage allowed to truly wield magic.

But first she has some lunchboxes to make.

Granbelm is an original anime directed by Masaharu Watanabe (Re:ZERO) and written by Jukki Hanada (Hitori Bocchi, Place Further than the Universe, and shitload of other stuff...). It's good, watch it on Crunchyroll.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/granbelm

don't make me have to use my powers to convince you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oops forgot to set the tag. Can a mod change it to ROBOTS please thanks!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Just keeps getting more complicated...

Some thoughts:
Are Nene's sisters actually real? Or are they ghosts or something and have to disappear at a certain time of the day? The fact that her family's magic seems to have real definite downsides is interesting. I'm not sure if we are to read the magic bringing monsters theory as literal or not.

It feels like the blue haired girl working with Anna is being set up to be the antagonist. She's really sketchy...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

This week's fights were genuinely pretty awesome.

also oh dear

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Some thoughts:

I'm wondering if Shingetsu's attempt to wipe Mangetsu's mind didn't work because it's already been done to her? Possibly by her real mother.

I think Nene's inability to keep her cloak up in the battle mirrors her inability to keep herself a secret in the real world.

Suishou continues to be sketchy as gently caress. I'm wondering now if she's manipulated Anna to go against Shingetsu.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

no i think shes going to kiss her

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

(it's an injoke)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I thought it was both really. I suspect that her current parents aren't her real parents, and that her plight is somehow similar to Nene's. Which is what snapped her out of Berserker Mode

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ahahaha And I was thinking that ending was too happy.

I hope their mum is okay.
:ohdear:

I'm guessing now that Suishou is a winner of a previous Granbelm who made a wish for the competition to continue?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I don't think Anna's mum is dead, FWIW, but I feel like at this point the only way this is gonna end with Anna not dying is Shingetsu mindwiping her like what happened with Nene's mother. And maybe the rest of the family as well :(

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Shingetsu's mistake was not realising that cooking the hotpot is the essential component of Mangetsu making friends with everyone.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

To be fair, it's not like they all got together to coordinate this.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Did Shingetsu just loving kill Anna

I'm supposing that the rule is that if you go berserk mode (like Mangetsu did in a previous episode), as shown by the gears turning, then if you die in the game you die for real? Or perhaps it comes down to the magical backlash effect from using the stone? Or maybe Anna is still okay in the real world.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 16, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

From a strategic point of view she might have wanted to see what tricks Shingetsu can pull. Like Shingetsu seems to have been fighting with a hand behind her back so far, but whatever her spirit summon was this episode seems to be some suggestion of her real power.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Solid chunk of evidence for the Mangetsu is an artificial human theory this episode.

Also she's gaaay

also, a big promotion for the butler lady

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 23, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Don't miss the post-credits.

Okay strong implication that uh... Mangetsu is an armanox isn't she? I'm assuming she's Magiaconatus's.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Elephant Parade posted:

I don't think she's an Armanox specifically, but she's definitely some kind of artificial being.

I do think she's an armanox specifically because the 'threads' apparently controlling her exactly mirror the threads the other contenders use to control their armanoxes

also welp they are getting rid of Suishou early huh

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 30, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Elephant Parade posted:

An "Armanox" is specifically a giant robot, though, or so we've been told. Also, strings are used to control puppets in general, both in media and in real life. It's not impossible, but it doesn't seem particularly likely, especially since (again, as far as we know) mage descendants only have one Armanox each.

Well, I definitely don't agree that she's made by Suishou. I think it makes more sense for her to be an armanox than some other newly defined type of magical doll, since we haven't see the string motif used anywhere else. If she's an armanox herself that definitely explains why she appeared in Granbelm without an armanox, also. I don't think armanoxes have to be giant robots, they only have to represent the creator.

I expect Suishou to be defeated next episode.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Kibou needs to knock some sense into her gf for making her sister cry

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

https://manga.tokyo/interview/interview-with-granbelm-producer-takayuki-nagatani/

Interview with the producer

quote:

Could you please tell us how the idea for the anime came about?

I approached anime studio Nexus with the idea of creating a new anime together. They said that they were interested in chibi-style robots and wanted to create anime featuring them. I love those kinds of anime too, so I suggested they start the creative process right away and I would organize it as soon as possible. That’s how we got started.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

RIP Kuon

Misc thoughts

the person who said that Suishou is representative of a different aspect of Magiaconatus seems to be correct. Or maybe Suishou is like Suishi's Mangetsu? Mangetsu 1.0?

I liked that they didn't go the route of Misunderstandings and having Mangetsu hate Shingetsu for drama

It is certainly quite unclear why some participants get erased when defeated and some do not

Magiaconatus seems to have some kind of conscious will, I reckon, as to how things are 'fixed' when a participant is removed. I don't think it necessarily had to revive Kuon's sister, but it did

Fangz fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 6, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

....poo poo I keep forgetting there's only two eps left.

It's a 13 episode series, so three episodes left.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hmm, does anyone other than the participants see Suishou? I am wondering if Suishou is basically like Mangetsu in this episode except that she's been like that for many years.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hmmmmmm

Crazy thought, but maybe people have Suishou's motivation entirely wrong?

Like doesn't her actions make more sense if they were actually aimed at *helping* Shingetsu? Insofar as helping Shingetsu accomplish her wish of getting rid of magic?

Like her attacks have not been focused at Shingetsu, but instead Kuon. She also riled up Anna to further isolate Shingetsu, and with the recent revelations again... Even her rooftop speech seems designed to get Shingetsu to hate magic and go through with her plan.

There's that monologue where she says that a Princeps Mage has to get where she is through her scars...

And if her belief is that humans shouldn't have magic, having magic be destroyed also accomplishes that.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

The only obvious wrinkle I see here is that it seems like revealing that Mangetsu is seemingly only sustained by magic is the sort of thing that would make Shingetsu less inclined to go through with her plan of ending all magic.

Well, firstly the secret was apparently going to come out regardless of her actions, and she was happy to keep the secret until that point.

Like she doesn't reveal the secret to Shingetsu, she reveals it to *Mangetsu*. For the latter there's a logic in terms of driving Mangetsu away from Shingetsu and having her disappear, and without Nene's intervention she might have been successful.

Kanos posted:

Having magic be destroyed means that *no one* has magic. Suishou seems to believe that humans aren't good enough for magic, not that magic itself is something that shouldn't exist. Suishou seems pretty cool with she, herself, having magic - and if she's a magical being as theorized, then no more magic means no more Suishou.

Right, so key to this theory is that self preservation isn't her goal, that this is a convoluted suicide plan. I mean maybe Shisui's soul sustains her so she's literally unable to die otherwise

I mean it's a pretty wild theory but that's why its fun

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hmmm I'm not sure how much the show wants us to agree with Mangetsu this episode

I mean part of this is that I don't agree with Mangetsu here. I mean I agree insofar as it would be wrong for her to be effectively a hostage and use her life to force Shingetsu to change her mission in life. But I also think that Mangetsu sets the idea of what Shingetsu wants on too high a pedestal and doesn't consider that there's a deeper thing that Shingetsu wants, and that Mangetsu consistently values herself too lowly. I guess there's two episodes left so maybe this arc isn't entirely over, but I kinda hope this series doesn't end like it seems right now...

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 13, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm loving glad for the final scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I liked the series a lot overall, but I agree that the final arc is weak unfortunately.