Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Show good, Mangetsu cute, needs a hug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, there's lots of technically impressive animation on display in the fights, but the way it's shot and edited doesn't feel *quite* there. That said, I'm enjoying the rest of the show far more than enough to make up for the fights being moderately jank. I really like what we're setting up with Mangetsu's sister, she's an interesting foil to Mangetsu herself.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

It feels like the blue haired girl working with Anna is being set up to be the antagonist. She's really sketchy...

That scene with her going all "Smiles!" when Anna's about to slap her and Anna cools down slightly felt like it was designed to make it hard to tell whether Suisho just has a relatively close relationship or power dynamic with her or if there's something more magical and nefarious going on. Like the "smiles!" thing and the way Anna completely froze for a second made me wonder if it was some sort of trigger word ala Bioshock or something.

Preview for next ep was pretty interesting, excited to see how we get there. Also, I hope Yoko Hisaka doesn't throw out her vocal chords recording for this season. Voicing a character WHO IS CONSTANTLY SCREAMING ALL THE TIME seems like it would be a tough gig even if she weren't simultaneously doing Symphogear.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Shingetsu is 1000000000 percent gonna have to beat the poo poo out of Mangetsu at some point.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

no i think shes going to kiss her

porque no los dos

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Following magical girl law all couples must first fight before they can truly date (see Fate/Nanoha, Miku/Hibiki, Cure Black/White)

See this is also why Madoka/Homura is so Complicated, they tried to skip this step

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This show's previews have been Very Good in general IMO

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Elephant Parade posted:

I thought Nene's mother was the winner? Nene talked about her being a "witch" at this point, and in the most recent episode Shingetsu mentioned that "Witch" is the name given to the winner of Granbelm.

I doubt those refer to the same thing. Nene-mom called herself a "maja" in japanese IIRC, whereas the winner of Granbelm is called an engrishy "The Witch". I think Nene-mom was just using "maja"/witch as a catchall for mages.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Anyway, post-credits aside, I really liked the big reveal this episode. One of those things I hadn't even thought of and then kicked myself for missing.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sindai posted:

Wait, which reveal are you talking about?

That it was actually Shingetsu who always did Anna's most impressive magic and everyone around her just couldn't bring themselves to tell her

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

Did Shingetsu just loving kill Anna

I'm supposing that the rule is that if you go berserk mode (like Mangetsu did in a previous episode), as shown by the gears turning, then if you die in the game you die for real? Or perhaps it comes down to the magical backlash effect from using the stone? Or maybe Anna is still okay in the real world.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the other mages haven't taken the gems into their bodies the way Anna did with the big one mid-episode, right? Could be that when she did that, she became too entwined with whatever Magiaconatus sucks up when your mech gets destroyed, and got taken away with it.

Still a reasonable chance she turns up alive in the real world next episode tho, IMO

Also, the preview makes me wonder if Suisho might be trying to make Kuon her next thrall or something now that Anna's out of the picture.

Speaking of which, this episode only makes me more curious as to what Suisho's after. It obviously comes off like she engineered this whole turn of events in order to destroy Anna, but why? Her past displays have left little reason not to assume that she couldn't just zap Anna herself if she needed to, so why engineer things to force Shingetsu to do it? Did she want Shingetsu to win, maybe?

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 17, 2019

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

From a strategic point of view she might have wanted to see what tricks Shingetsu can pull. Like Shingetsu seems to have been fighting with a hand behind her back so far, but whatever her spirit summon was this episode seems to be some suggestion of her real power.

That's a fair point.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

This show's gotten extremely good and I hope it ends well. The storyboards have just been dynamite throughout.

Also I'm only having a harder and harder time deciding whether I think Suisho is/ever was human or not.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 24, 2019

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

So I think this episode pretty heavily indicated what the show's title is about.

The 'two princeps' aren't Shingetsu and Mangetsu. They're Mangetsu and Suishou. They're split halves of the same person, the reigning princeps of Granbelm. Apart from poking massive holes in Mangetsu's backstory, which Suishou seemed suspiciously familiar with - and pulling little visual tricks like having Suishou make out with Kuon and then having Kuon and Mangetsu wake up naked in bed together - this episode also highlighted their physical similarities, like their bright green eyes and the pale tips on the ends of their hair. Then it had that little bit at the end where Mangetsu's hair becomes white - the midpoint between pink and blue - when she looks at the moon, which Suishou is heavily associated with.

....poo poo.

...Where's Kibou and her apparent powers fit into this theory, tho?

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 24, 2019

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't think she's magical. I do, however, think that a shitload of magic was poured into her house to make Mangetsu her sister.

Hmmm....We have established that it's not all that hard to use magic to rewrite memories and insert/delete people into and out of families...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

That episode's overall delivery felt kind of limp and weird to me, and I hope we stop doing that "cut away from our viewpoint character to arbitrarily hide something they've just learned from the audience" thing pretty soon because it wore out its welcome pretty hard here, but that last reveal is pretty good.

So Mangetsu's clearly some kind of Homunculus or some such. Presumably Suisho's creation? But to what end...?

Also I hope there's still something to Kuon's sister's plan that we haven't grasped yet, because "let the villain devour my soul so I can make them flinch a little at a key moment down the line" feels decidedly off to me.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh yeah, lol. I had been thinking some of the Madoka comps were slightly overdone, but that particular shot is, uh, not subtle lmfao

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I do hope the show still has something interesting left to reveal about Suisho. Right now her character's kind of just "I Do Bad Things Because I'm Just Bad Like That" to me, which is a little dull when you get right down to it, would like there to be something that gives her at least a little bit more depth like Anna had.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh something I forgot until I took another look - the gently caress is with those burns on Onee-chan's arms???

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I think the main thing that's up is that she's the 'sister' of the protagonist, an artificial being who was magically inserted into her life. Mangetsu has a really weak sense of identity, and she's a key part of it, for better or worse. I reckon that her familial connection with Kibou will be just as important as her romance with Shingetsu (c'mon, we're not going to try pretending it's just a friendship, are we?) in helping her decide that she's a person after all.

There's a part of me that wonders if Kibou *made* Mangetsu somehow. I don't think it makes much sense for it to be any of the other Granbelm participants, and her being some agent of the Magiaconatus itself feels a little too easy.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm really curious about what, if anything Shisui will be able to tell us about Suisho. In particular - was Suisho always Like This?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

....poo poo I keep forgetting there's only two eps left.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

Hmmmmmm

Crazy thought, but maybe people have Suishou's motivation entirely wrong?

Like doesn't her actions make more sense if they were actually aimed at *helping* Shingetsu? Insofar as helping Shingetsu accomplish her wish of getting rid of magic?

Like her attacks have not been focused at Shingetsu, but instead Kuon. She also riled up Anna to further isolate Shingetsu, and with the recent revelations again... Even her rooftop speech seems designed to get Shingetsu to hate magic and go through with her plan.

There's that monologue where she says that a Princeps Mage has to get where she is through her scars...

And if her belief is that humans shouldn't have magic, having magic be destroyed also accomplishes that.

The only obvious wrinkle I see here is that it seems like revealing that Mangetsu is seemingly only sustained by magic is the sort of thing that would make Shingetsu less inclined to go through with her plan of ending all magic.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I feel like if they were gonna go through with it, some of the Big Theme Talks they had this episode would have come in the finale.

I wouldn't bet a house on it or anything, but y'know

I am a little annoyed, albeit not super-surprised, that Shisui just has nothing to say about Suisho. She should still remember the Granbelm even if she doesn't remember Kuon, right? That's how it worked for Nene at least, so you'd expect Shisui to at least spare a thought for 'whatever happened to that creepy maybe-demon girl I was dating and apparently plotting to destroy?'

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 14, 2019

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It's definitely been my pleasant (well, for a certain value of 'pleasant') surprise show of the year. Really hope it sticks the landing.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I really didn't care for that penultimate episode, to be quite honest.

If we wind up more-or-less validating Mangetsu's deathwish by having her actually die (or merge with Shingetsu, don't you loving dare try to have it both ways like a weakling, show) then that's a drat near catastrophic failure of the writing IMO, but I also don't know how we pull back from that in a satisfying way now.

Also Suisho was a lot of fun earlier in the show, but it feels like this ep stretched her character well past its breaking point. Having the fight with her take ALL episode and presumably at least some of the next takes away from the actual interesting personal dynamics the Getsus had - and while you *could* do interesting and sympathetic stuff with her character having been forced to fight in the Granbelm over and over and over, that's work the show needed to be putting in throughout her earlier appearances and chose not to. Just going by her onscreen appearances, there's no real strong reason to assume that Suisho has ever been primarily driven by any motives less selfish than "power" or "escape." The show needed to show us her having genuine feelings for Shisui but being forced to kill her, or something other than her manipulative evil mastermind routine she's kept up for literally the entire show now, for me to have any meaningful sympathy for her.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

She's been at this for a thousand years. She's not going to become attached to anyone, because she is completely burnt out. That's her whole thing - people only become interesting when they're impressive enough that she thinks that killing them might let her finally become a real girl. Magic is an addiction and an obsession, and she's been mowing down wave after wave of warped, deranged, and just plain awful people addicted to magic for centuries in a desperate attempt to prove to rear end in a top hat Magic Dad that she's better. That's her tragedy, that she's tied her self-worth to the standards of something that will never love her, and only uses her to make people into their worst selves.

The problem with this, IMO, is that we've only seen her long, long, *long* after she broke, so she's completely one dimensional to us. I don't think there's any interest -especially in terms of storytelling- to be had in just having a vague notion of why someone is an rear end in a top hat right now when I've never ever gotten to see that person be anything other than that rear end in a top hat. There's no immediate emotional stake there, it's all academic.

Like I *understand* Suisho's character, I just can't *invest* in it the way the show seems to be demanding that I do at a pretty critical juncture.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 21, 2019

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

We saw some of it in this episode. She's not just sone sadistic jokester treating all of this as a lark, she's extremely tired and extremely pissed. Her tragedy isn't that at some point, she was not an rear end in a top hat. It's that she was designed from the ground up as a monster who exists only to hurt people, and isn't even given any credit for doing the horrible job she was created for. Like, just own that you purpose-built a horrible murder-kid already and give her some goddamned praise for doing what you raised her to do and doing it well, christ.

Except that she is that sadistic joker, as far as we can tell. Being Tired and Pissed, like, sucks, I guess, but there's no indication that how she's acting now is any different from how she's ever acted other than maybe being a bit more irritable about it. And if she's never done or felt anything meaningfully different than what she's shown us, then she's too one dimensional for me to really identify her as a person - and if she's not a person then why do I give a poo poo? Answer: I don't!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

all intents and purposes, a fully sapient being

There's our issue. She doesn't *feel* like a fully sapient being to me because she's been so one dimensional in all of her screen time. So even though I can academically understand on some level "okay that would kind of suck, I guess", the show hasn't put in the work to give her condition any emotional stakes or grounding at all.

Like even now I have no sense at all of what Suisho would want if she weren't bound to the Granbelm, beyond POWER

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 21, 2019

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

final episode is up early on crunchy

wait what today?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

That ending was nonsensical and garbage and this is one of the more spectacular last-minute collapses I've seen from an anime in a *while*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Homura and Sickle posted:

Haha what i thought that ending was great what was nonsensical about it

Given all the time they spent establishing that Mangetsu has basically no self-worth, is extremely depressed, and doesn't think that there's any particular meaning in her existence, her ultimately deciding, with the show's clear approval, that "yeah actually it would be better if I didn't exist any more" leaves an extremely foul aftertaste, especially since her life is thrown away mostly just so Shingetsu can Destroy All Magic - a goal that doesn't actually *mean* anything to me because magic itself is such a vague and impersonal entity. Shingetsu's arc doesn't fare much better, being almost as enthusiastically and pointlessly self-destructive as Mangetsu's, and Suisho turned out to be incredibly boring and one-dimensional, which in turn retroactively renders Shisui and Kuon's story much weirder and largely meaningless. I went into these last two episodes thinking "oh god, what are they gonna do with our heroines' depression" and the show itself seemed to expect me to be thinking "oh god, I hope they can destroy all magic" as if I've ever been given any reason to care more about the vagaries of the setting than the people in it the show's actually spent time trying to get me to invest in.