Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Did you ever wish Starbound was good? yeah, me too buddy, me too. well, forums poster Rho has been posting cool stuff on their twitter about the game they're making and it seems to hit on a lot of the things I had wanted from Starbound. Rho used to work on Starbound so they seem to have a good idea of what someone wants from this type of game. What sort of things do you want from a game like this? Anyway talk about it here!

using my excellent skills at reading Rho's twitter I found out that it doesn't have an official name yet but they do have some features such as:

https://twitter.com/Rhopunzel/status/1153863839856889856

not that, i meant...

https://twitter.com/Rhopunzel/status/1153573000643563521

wait...I really meant....

soldat style gameplay - so realistic guns, ballistics, reloading, that kinda thing
A focus on colonists - Apparently there will be colonists populating your base, similar to Terraria, but maybe more indepth?
Z-Plane - apparently you can like, go in doors on the Z plan as opposed to just walking through the side of all your buildings

and its got the kind of things you'd expect from games like this such as an emphasis on exploring, sandbox gameplay, that sort of thing

Now for some cool screenshots:

majora's mask ripoff:

i guess you don't like alp..ducks...huh:

https://twitter.com/igloosoftgames/status/1133856793959063553

tetris ripoff:

https://twitter.com/Rhopunzel/status/1139727556645543937

actually cool rear end picture:

https://twitter.com/Rhopunzel/status/1118313511808061440

anyway thats my post. please like, subscribe, vote 5, and talk here about Rho's game

and I guess you can visit their website: https://www.igloosoft.org/

bonus

advanced bird physics

https://twitter.com/igloosoftgames/status/1133856793959063553

bonusbonus

eonwe fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
so do you guys like alp ducks or not

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I basically posted this because we were doing a lot of talking about this game in the starbound thread, so why not have a thread to like talk about it

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
oh cool a thread i can post screenshots in

very early mockups:

some of the guns currently ingame:

feel free to ask me any questions or concerns about the game. i'm super excited about it and more than happy to talk about my plans for it. i'm still active on SA but generally the best way to get current info about the game is via twitter

Rhopunzel fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 25, 2019

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I love the way the backgrounds are looking. This shot really shows it.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Can I throw a rock or two at a cockatoo

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Songbearer posted:

Can I throw a rock or two at a cockatoo

yes, but I'll find out and I'll be unhappy

one of the main ways to find other colonists will be setting up a radio/communications interface, which receives transmissions/distress calls from other NPCs. maybe one of them will just be a cockatoo yelling into a radio

Rhopunzel fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 24, 2019

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I want a cockatoo to bring back to my base so it can push over all my expensive objects and scream at everyone who comes in

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Captain, we're receiving a distress call on an outdated frequency.

Put it on the main screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRsfOGJ5lZg

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
ground floor babey!!!

I want Rho to finally decide on a name for it.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

tomanton posted:

ground floor babey!!!

I want Rho to finally decide on a name for it.

Right now top candidates are:

Earthshine
Disastronauts
Space Reign
Space Jerks
Space and Friends

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rhopunzel posted:

Space and Friends

:3:

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Watching you post about this on social media has been fun. I'm getting shades of The Dig from the art direction.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Waffle House posted:

Watching you post about this on social media has been fun. I'm getting shades of The Dig from the art direction.

The Dig's actually literally one of the primary influences listed in the original design doc! I'm glad it's showing. We're really trying to recreate that feeling of exploration and uncovering new and interesting places without resorting to simply spamming the screen with wacky but ultimately meaningless creatures.

Not to say there won't be alien life, but we're aiming to be a lot more economical with assets and production and ensure we get a good return on investment on what we make.

Rhopunzel fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 24, 2019

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Space and Friends says it all. Disastronauts I know implies some sort of faction but I think it's a small price to pay for such a banging portmanteau of space adventures and self-imposed crisis, which is what we play these games for. Only a true Space Jerk would throw a rock at a cockatoo

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Terreneguns

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hi I'm Shoehead, and I love [RHO'S UNTITLED SPACE GAME]

HornyBoy123
Mar 4, 2005
looks cool

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rhopunzel posted:

Oh, question. Are you planning on having significant differences between weapons? Not just "High accuracy single-shot damage, low ROF vs High ROF low accuracy/damage" sort of thing, but how Terraria has stuff like the Onyx Blaster, Xenopper, Sandgun, and Flamethrower which do things other than "shoot some amount of bullets"?

EDIT: Obviously plenty of "Shoot Bullet" stuff is good, of course, especially with ammo that changes how the bullets behave, but having Weird poo poo too is fun!

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Zereth posted:

Oh, question. Are you planning on having significant differences between weapons? Not just "High accuracy single-shot damage, low ROF vs High ROF low accuracy/damage" sort of thing, but how Terraria has stuff like the Onyx Blaster, Xenopper, Sandgun, and Flamethrower which do things other than "shoot some amount of bullets"?

EDIT: Obviously plenty of "Shoot Bullet" stuff is good, of course, especially with ammo that changes how the bullets behave, but having Weird poo poo too is fun!

Yeah. These guns (and most standard projectile guns) will be low tier, with the more exotic and wild stuff coming in later. Otherwise we have lots of creative and useful ideas for weapons, weapon perks and different ways to inflict damage. There'll also be stuff like subsonic, armor piercing, incendiary ammo. My primary goal is for the different bullets/projectiles to not only have distinguishable behaviors but different play styles too. Nuclear Throne's variety/feel with Soldat's ballistics are my benchmarks.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004
If you're going to have an active population of NPCs/colonists, please look at Very Good Game Dragon Quest Builders 2 for an example of good fun NPC behavior (Rimworld goes without saying is another great example but you worked on that game IIRC).

Are NPCs going to have custom personalities / unique dialog or are they going to be procedural generated?

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Weed Wolf posted:

If you're going to have an active population of NPCs/colonists, please look at Very Good Game Dragon Quest Builders 2 for an example of good fun NPC behavior (Rimworld goes without saying is another great example but you worked on that game IIRC).

Are NPCs going to have custom personalities / unique dialog or are they going to be procedural generated?

Primarily custom/unique, but we're also considering a hybrid approach where certain NPCs will be procgen and some custom made. We're going to design a whole gigantic pool of NPCs with their own personalities and quirks (and pools of items they craft, depending) and chuck them all into the game. On the design doc there's all kinds of roles, ranging from the useful like Gunsmiths and Doctors, to what we call "snake oil salesmen" who serve no real use besides comedy relief.
This is subject to change, of course.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rhopunzel posted:

Right now top candidates are:

Earthshine
Disastronauts
Space Reign
Space Jerks
Space and Friends

Disastronauts I think is the clear winner here, but the non-breaking space above Earthshine is also pretty strong.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yes yes yes birbs and all but who can i bone

On a more serious note, is there going to be a plot? One of the things that attracted me to Starbound (and where I bounced off) was the promise of a really cool story spanning several planets, and all that turned out to be were a bunch of fetch quests in areas I would never be able to see again. I don't mind procedurally-generated stuff, but that was all Starbound had to offer storywise. I realize this might be a too much to ask for a pixel legogame, mind you, so feel free to disregard this or put it on the backburner.

Also Space and Friends is a good name you should pick that one

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

Yes yes yes birbs and all but who can i bone

On a more serious note, is there going to be a plot? One of the things that attracted me to Starbound (and where I bounced off) was the promise of a really cool story spanning several planets, and all that turned out to be were a bunch of fetch quests in areas I would never be able to see again. I don't mind procedurally-generated stuff, but that was all Starbound had to offer storywise. I realize this might be a too much to ask for a pixel legogame, mind you, so feel free to disregard this or put it on the backburner.

Also Space and Friends is a good name you should pick that one

Yes and no.

There isn't going to be a story that railroads your progress and constantly holds your hand. I'm not a fan of the railroady approach and I don't think it's appropriate for a sandbox game of this caliber. Instead I prefer the approach of constructing a believable, organic universe with unique actors and plots that exist in microcosms and leave them out there for the players to discover and insert themselves into if they really want. So it'll be strictly optional - if you want to go out and discover the how's and why's of the game universe you can, but it's not required and you'll be free to just sandbox it up while remaining blissfully ignorant as you make your own story if that's your thing.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
That's great! Yeah, I'm not looking for Minecraft Effect or anything, just some kind of narrative I can sink my teeth into, that's all.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Potsticker posted:

non-breaking space

Well, there's your name right there.

Though I actually vote for either Disastronauts or Space and Friends.

Very much looking forward to this game! :toot:

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

That's great! Yeah, I'm not looking for Minecraft Effect or anything, just some kind of narrative I can sink my teeth into, that's all.

Yeah I feel you. Not to badmouth other games but I feel like having a single giant story that forces the player into a certain role is limiting at best and alienating at worst. Not everyone wants to be Officer Space Jesus and I'm not interested in trying to make some profound statement or commentary. The story in this game will be much more about exploring the dynamics between various factions and the universe's history. Like many things I'm using my experience from RimWorld as a benchmark, so it's very much about presenting an organic universe, and if the player finds it interesting and wants to know more, great! If not, there's a whole other game they can make their own fun with. It's my goal to keep the two separate.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hi I'm Elentor and I'm as of the moment working on the ProcGen systems, starting with the terrain. If you have any particular question/suggestion feel free to shoot!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Rhopunzel posted:

Can you breed them

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Looks neat, will there be multiplayer?

Z-axis in a 2d sidescroller?

Then the big one: When will we be able to play it?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rhopunzel posted:

Yeah I feel you. Not to badmouth other games but I feel like having a single giant story that forces the player into a certain role is limiting at best and alienating at worst.

No problem, dude/ette. I honestly just want Starbound but good, that's all.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Can you breed them

I think the main question is whether we can breed with them :unsmigghh:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, there's your name right there.

Though I actually vote for either Disastronauts or Space and Friends.

Very much looking forward to this game! :toot:
Space And Friends 2: Disastronauts

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Following this game extremely close and it's coming along great, Rho.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Hell yeah this is kind of game I love, very excited to get my goony mits on this

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hello my friends I also am working on the Video Game, I might post art here every once in a while

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Rhopunzel posted:

Yeah. These guns (and most standard projectile guns) will be low tier, with the more exotic and wild stuff coming in later. Otherwise we have lots of creative and useful ideas for weapons, weapon perks and different ways to inflict damage. There'll also be stuff like subsonic, armor piercing, incendiary ammo. My primary goal is for the different bullets/projectiles to not only have distinguishable behaviors but different play styles too. Nuclear Throne's variety/feel with Soldat's ballistics are my benchmarks.

Any plans for how ammunition is going to work? Specifically I guess I'm asking about how will the player get ammo, is running out of ammo/rationing ammo going to be a common concern, will a single weapon be able to utilize more than one ammo type or will type be tied to gun type (like in Nuclear Throne)?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Honestly, being able to go through the Z-plane is really cool and necessary for 2d exploration games.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Good luck brave goons, can't wait to throw $$$ your way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

i've been looking for a duck-petting simulator for quite some time and it looks like you're halfway there.