Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"I can't stardrive"

Which explains why you start crashed on some random planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rhopunzel posted:

I remember talking about this with you. It's incredibly disingenuous to say "we have 300 million monsters"

If you have 50 heads that spit one of 50 projectiles that all do the same thing, 50 bodies that are just variations of walking animations and 50 tails that have no bearing on the creature at all, and 5 preprogrammed behaviors....you have 5 different monsters at best. People aren't stupid. I hated it.

Things almost always go badly when procgen is used as a substitute for creativity. It just isn't how it's meant to be used.
Eh, it might be up to 10 or 20 different monsters if some of the attacks are particularly dangerous.

Of course, in that case, it means that until the players figure out which heads are the trouble ones, every so often they'll suddenly get their poo poo rocked because they needed to deal with that thing differently but they can't tell that it's different form the last twenty things the RNG spit out. And it's much less harder to identify what the problem enemy is since it could come attached to a lot of bodies in a lot of colors, etc.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Color is one thing, but rather there are traits that can be a part of the different biomes that can make the species on that planet feel and act different. Of course, if I’m just being an idiot I’m perfectly fine to just shut up, I have no delusions that any of the random thoughts popping out are actually good and/or useful.

So like, a monkey found in a place with tons of tall trees will be great at climbing trees. Monkeys in grassland will be better runners. Monkeys found in caves have better night vision (or to get real weird, bad eyesight and rely on other senses or are like, bioluminescent). Monkeys found near lots of water may have adaptations that allow them to swim.

It’s not sticking random heads on random bodies, it’s having a defining trait of their biome defining the creatures that live there in a special place.

And I have no idea if a trait system for flora and fauna would even be desirable - though it could be neat to breed a troop of 0 light needed cave monkeys that you could use. You attack an enemy outpost and knock out their lights, and have these tunneling critters pop out of the ground.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, that can be handled by procedural generation by having a selection of traits (low-light vision, amphibious, climber, digger, glider, etc.) which may come with associated body parts (palmed feet for swimmers, membranes for gliders, strong claws for diggers, huge eyes for low-light vision, axolotl gills for amphibious, etc.). Then when you make random alien critters, you look at the biome they live in, derive from that two or three traits that would make sense for this biome (lots of flooded caves? amphibious, low-light vision, digger. A dense forest? digger, glider.) and then your random critters will have one or two of these traits.

Likewise, for how to color the critters: look at the environment's primary color, and then go with either camouflage or contrast. You can also constrain it a bit (e.g., mammals on Earth can't grow green fur, so forest critters' camouflage color is various shades of gray/brown/tan/russet). So like, maybe the flora is mostly blue and cyan on this planet, but the critters can't be these colors, so they'll camouflage by being green.

This can make randomly generated biomes seem consistent and logical. Random combinations wouldn't be used to pretend to have billions of different critters as players would see the same few recurring niches and wouldn't be fooled, but it'd be a nice touch.

In Starbound, there seemed to be no rhyme or reason behind the random combinations.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
This looks really cool so far. I'm looking forward to throwing money at you guys!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Here's a look at some creatures that've been made so far

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
How is travel between planets going to be handled this time around?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Shoehead posted:

Here's a look at some creatures that've been made so far

Animals are rad and I'm looking forward to bespoke aliens being made. Art direction is outrageously good.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Loxbourne posted:

very carefully

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Loxbourne posted:

I'll be honest, I'm not worrying about the ins and outs of space travel until we've got individual planets really polished, but here's what's planned:

-It'll be coordinate based
-The galaxy won't be pre-mapped out like in Starbound. You'll have to probe out solar systems before you jump to them (or blind jump, but the likelihood of guessing a star system's coordinates would be infinitesimally small and risky)
-Certain locations won't show up on scan and will only be accessible if you have the coordinates. These will be obtained by side quests/secrets/easter eggs and so on, and there'll be a reward for finding them
-There'll be a wide variety of unique ship hulls and classes instead of iterative upgrades. Everything from shuttles to battlecruisers.
-Ships won't be buildable inside. Interiors will mostly be static, but they'll be fancy to make up for it.
-Ships will have limited facilities. The quantity and type will depend on class.
-Smaller ships may be able to land on planets.
-Larger ships will launch drop pods and/or small shuttles
-Some ships will have weapons like orbital cannons or cargo drops
-Planets won't be the only places you'll visit. One planned mechanic is the addition of space hulks, giant ancient ships that appear and can be salvaged after you cleanse & burn all enemies

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rhopunzel posted:

space hulks

You better damned well give us Terminator Armour then :colbert:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Rhopunzel posted:

magnificence

:discourse: - especially the derelicts, and especially exploring suitably dark and terror-haunted derelicts with friends in multiplayer.

I do hope we can put light sources on guns.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

That plan sounds neat and those animals are amazing.

Will there be consideration given to making animals less, "wander in this area" and more "when they move, it's for a purpose"?

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

HelloSailorSign posted:

That plan sounds neat and those animals are amazing.

Will there be consideration given to making animals less, "wander in this area" and more "when they move, it's for a purpose"?

Yes. We're aiming to develop a loose ecosystem so that animals will interact with each other and there'll be a type of heirarchy . Some will hunt/flee, some will be aggressive towards creatures the same type as them, some will be friendly, docile, ignore the player. There'll be herbivores, grazers, there's even some creatures planned that'll pickpocket you.

Definitely more involved than "this animal wanders around alone and then attacks you on sight"

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i guess you don't like alpac on sight mobs. huh

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
All the plans sound cool, but I'm curious: where do things stand with the implementation? I gather you're currently working on generating worlds; have you figured out things like basic physics, inventories, crafting UI, etc.?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Rhopunzel posted:

some creatures planned that'll pickpocket you.

Coming from ARK.... gently caress that I will murder every single one

...or wait can I tame it and have it steal other people's poo poo for me?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

All the plans sound cool, but I'm curious: where do things stand with the implementation? I gather you're currently working on generating worlds; have you figured out things like basic physics, inventories, crafting UI, etc.?

Insomuch that I know. Which is very little. They've been working on the foundation of the game intensely. So you're basic ideas, inventory, etc. Is there but not in it's final form.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Rhopunzel posted:

-Ships won't be buildable inside. Interiors will mostly be static, but they'll be fancy to make up for it.
-Ships will have limited facilities. The quantity and type will depend on class.

Any chance of ships being partially modular? Like larger ships having a room where you can say 'I want X here' and it'll give you a pre-built module for it? Like cargo bay, galley, etc? Some option to customize ships, even if we can't build out the entire interior, would be a welcome addition, but I can also see how rough it would be to work in.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
do you guys have any plans either in the short or long-term for altering or siginificantly increasing the difficulty of the game? like expert mode on terraria or more aggressive survival features or something else

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Rhopunzel posted:

Some will hunt/flee, some will be aggressive towards creatures the same type as them, some will be friendly, docile, ignore the player. There'll be herbivores, grazers, there's even some creatures planned that'll pickpocket you.

highly advanced goat AI that causes them to attack each other and then attempt to jump onto the top of your settlement

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Victory Position posted:

highly advanced goat AI that causes them to attack each other and then attempt to jump onto the top of your settlement

Only the cats. Feline mobs should definitely go to sleep on top of your buildings.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Goats on the roof is definitely a thing, breaking roof tiles by jumping in place repeatedly is the goat equivalent of popping bubble wrap.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Rhopunzel posted:

I'll be honest, I'm not worrying about the ins and outs of space travel until we've got individual planets really polished, but here's what's planned:

-It'll be coordinate based
-The galaxy won't be pre-mapped out like in Starbound. You'll have to probe out solar systems before you jump to them (or blind jump, but the likelihood of guessing a star system's coordinates would be infinitesimally small and risky)

You better be able to jump directly into the sun.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Goats in space should, like in real life, have the ability to stand perfectly fine on completely vertical surfaces.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Nighthand posted:

Goats in space should, like in real life, have the ability to stand perfectly fine on completely vertical surfaces.

Magboot goats.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Here's some shots to whet your appetite. Imagine goats if you must:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I have another cool screenshot for you guys:

This one is particularly rad, imo. Drop pod / crash land into some snow and some bullshit wolf wants a piece

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

There's another behind you!!!!

also finish up already I want to play this game

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Is them solar panels?

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

HelloSailorSign posted:

There's another behind you!!!!

also finish up already I want to play this game

we're still trying to find a name, then we're likely going to announce + launch the site. creative mode's still on schedule for the end of the year, at which point we'll release it for free concurrently with a paid alpha

edit:

implemented speleothems! they're all colored the same natively, but auto color based on the block they're attached to. cave ceilings (and floors) are going to look awesome!

Rhopunzel fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 17, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Rhopunzel posted:

we're still trying to find a name, then we're likely going to announce + launch the site. creative mode's still on schedule for the end of the year, at which point we'll release it for free concurrently with a paid alpha

edit:

implemented speleothems! they're all colored the same natively, but auto color based on the block they're attached to. cave ceilings (and floors) are going to look awesome!

:eyepop:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

very carefully

Finally.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

I still have to remind myself these are 100% dynamic. The graphics really transition nicely.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The detail looks a lot better in the high res shots, though it's interesting that there's so little edge definition in the art style, definitely different from most pixel art style games which tend to be heavy on the outlining.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Rhopunzel posted:

I still have to remind myself these are 100% dynamic. The graphics really transition nicely.

It looks like she's the least lucky person ever. In some cloud world and yet underneath a mysterious air boulder.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

so things are really picking up, if everything goes right we should have a name and our site up in the coming days!

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I am very excited. In a moderate way.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I keep trying to throw my wallet at this thread.

I'm going to break my phone if this keeps up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

RickVoid posted:

I keep trying to throw my wallet at this thread.

I'm going to break my phone if this keeps up.

Hold tight to that wallet friend. There are things brewing. The momentum is there and the team is gelling really well. There is definitely magic in the making.

Also shout-out to the devs, they are working really hard.