Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, there have been a few notable exceptions, like House of Cards and Stranger Things, but overall going all at once more often leads to people burning through the show over a weekend and mostly forgetting about it until next year.

When the netflix marvel shows were coming out, I'd talk to people the same WEEK that we both saw it and they couldn't remember poo poo. Didn't know the names of any side characters, forgot everything but the biggest plot twists and fights, just totally lost. And they'd be the ones who'd drop in conversation how fast they finished the show like it's a bragging right. Autoplaying the show for 7 hours while browsing stuff on your phone and doing housework isn't exactly "watching" it.

The discussion threads of shows that drop all at once are a little whack too cause it's all just people saying how they liked/hated a char overall, how they felt about the biggest twist, and what their favorite moment was, and that's about it. The first [spoiler ]'d text post will be some poo poo from the 2nd to last episode.

Blaise330 fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Blaise330 posted:

When the netflix marvel shows were coming out, I'd talk to people the same WEEK that we both saw it and they couldn't remember poo poo. Didn't know the names of any side characters, forgot everything but the biggest plot twists and fights, just totally lost. And they'd be the ones who'd drop in conversation how fast they finished the show like it's a bragging right. Autoplaying the show for 7 hours while browsing stuff on your phone and doing housework isn't exactly "watching" it.

The discussion threads of shows that drop all at once are a little whack too cause it's all just people saying how they liked/hated a char overall, how they felt about the biggest twist, and what their favorite moment was, and that's about it. The first [spoiler ]'d text post will be some poo poo from the 2nd to last episode.

100% agree with this. While I want every drat episode right now, I can also see the utility (or futility!) of replay watching what we have and discussing them to death, for the hype machine.

I am happy for there to be a new season, regardless of how they present it to us. Will it be a success? If the content is good then yes, it really does not matter (Firefly! Yes I know.) how they give it to us.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well, TV series are usually completely ready to be fully shown the day it starts airing. It's just a business decision to release them over time or all at once, the artistic/cultural effect is just a side-consideration.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Well, TV series are usually completely ready to be fully shown the day it starts airing. It's just a business decision to release them over time or all at once, the artistic/cultural effect is just a side-consideration.

It is especially the case here.

On other notes, I get the feeling putting Stormfront into the Seven is Mr Edgar's Queen to Knight # move. I already like Mr Edgar. He plays chess.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Not really, there's quite a few that are shot while the season is going. Supernatural cut the season short as did basically all the dc shows since the pandemic hit and they weren't able to film anymore.

Depends on the show, really. I think the big hold up on the new season of the boys was the fact they had the season closed out but still needed fx work. That's probably why they are going for a weekly release, so the fx shops can do their thing and not have homelander look like that hosed up cgi flying guy from heroes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Not really, there's quite a few that are shot while the season is going. Supernatural cut the season short as did basically all the dc shows since the pandemic hit and they weren't able to film anymore.

Supernatural has two eps left to shoot and they're returning as soon as it's safe. It's still a good example though, because it's old enough to have had a season lose the back nine in the last writer's strike.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I also believe that the average person cannot really consume and retain all the information presented in a single 8-10 hour marathon. I agree with the above poster that the average Netflix viewer binging a full season of TV in one sitting or two is less likely to remember individual settings and stories and will most likely have the entire series blend together, usually to the detriment of the story.

I understand both methods, it must just be a brain thing. My GF can’t stand to wait and will watch 10 episodes in a row of whatever the day something comes out. Me? I can’t watch or play anything for more than 3-4 hours at a time before I start to feel guilty for sitting on my butt all day.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
To be fair most Netflix shows manage to cram 3 hours of content into 13 hours of episodes so there's not that much to remember

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
^^^yeah this is precisely what I'm talking about

Blaise330 posted:

I was talking about this in the Sopranos thread. I remember storylines from that show very well, and I don't know if it's because the show was great so the storylines were great, or if it was because the show said what it was going to say on a given subject in a tight, memorable package. A lot of things I remember from The Sopranos I thought were stretched out over an entire season, but really happened in one episode.

If it were made today, the episode where Meadow's roommate at Columbia loses her poo poo, and her boyfriend reveals himself to be an elitist douchebag because of it, would take like an entire 10-episode run. You'd be loving sick of that crazy girl 4 episodes in, but you wouldn't quite know her character's name and have to recall what her deal is every time because you would have seen the story play out in 2-minute chunks once an hour.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'd be ok with binge seasons if they weren't so stretched out, yeah. The Marvel shows in particular were stretched awfully.

I like shows that remain largely episodic with some long-term characterization. I've become burned out on complete serialization.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

^^^yeah this is precisely what I'm talking about

I was talking about this in the Sopranos thread. I remember storylines from that show very well, and I don't know if it's because the show was great so the storylines were great, or if it was because the show said what it was going to say on a given subject in a tight, memorable package. A lot of things I remember from The Sopranos I thought were stretched out over an entire season, but really happened in one episode.

If it were made today, the episode where Meadow's roommate at Columbia loses her poo poo, and her boyfriend reveals himself to be an elitist douchebag because of it, would take like an entire 10-episode run. You'd be loving sick of that crazy girl 4 episodes in, but you wouldn't quite know her character's name and have to recall what her deal is every time because you would have seen the story play out in 2-minute chunks once an hour.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed this, and why I've been so skeptical of labeling the serialized TV trend a new Golden Age and such. Just because you can draw out a plot over ten episodes doesn't mean you have ten episodes' worth of compelling plot.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GD_American posted:

I'd be ok with binge seasons if they weren't so stretched out, yeah. The Marvel shows in particular were stretched awfully.

Oh god, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones were so bad about this.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Binging something like The Wire or Eastbound and Down that are written like a long novel or film workes excellently. You have issues when things like the Marvel shows just tread water, that are just annoying in a binge.

The quoted Golden Age where you had Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under, etc. all simultaneously running had a bunch of bingeable stuff happening. Now its peppered with a lot of stuff like CW shows and such that just spin wheels forever.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I kinda miss the old days where the "filler" would often be one off self-contained episodes like you see with the X-files, Star Trek or even Stargate Sg-1. Some of the best episodes of those series were one offs and it let the writers space out the plot beats for the big season arcs while still giving the audience a fun episode. I think prestige tv that is aggressively episodic has its place but it starts to wear a bit thin when everyone is aping that.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Home

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

AnEdgelord posted:

I think prestige tv that is aggressively episodic has its place but it starts to wear a bit thin when everyone is aping that.

Isn't the trend much more the other way? A 13 hour long episode, essentially?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Speaking of filler Stranger Things would have been much better if they an episode where Sheriff Fatman goes fishing while the kids take a several hour car trip to what turns out to be a closed amusement park.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

GD_American posted:

Isn't the trend much more the other way? A 13 hour long episode, essentially?

thats what I meant I just explained it badly,

I meant "episodic" as in "every episode builds on the previous and leads into the next one with little to no episodes that aren't part of that chain"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

AnEdgelord posted:

thats what I meant I just explained it badly,

I meant "episodic" as in "every episode builds on the previous and leads into the next one with little to no episodes that aren't part of that chain"

serialized

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

thats the word

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

If you search online for "list of best X-Files episodes", 95% of the names are always going to be one off, monster of the week or otherwise experimental ones.

I am partial to Monday (incidentally, written by Vince Gilligan) due to it's super cool take on the classic Groundhog Day formula; I love the fact that everything starts at the same point every time, but people are behaving/responding to things in a slight different way each day - since they are not robots with 100% perfect action/reaction routines - with the accompanying butterly effect.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

GD_American posted:

The Marvel shows in particular were stretched awfully.

It was their #1 failing, taking maybe 8-10 episodes worth of content and forcing it to be 13. But I guess when you get given an order and a budget saying "well i guess we dont need it all" doesn't go over well. That the Boys was so tight in its 8 episodes helped it a lot imo.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

That Italian Guy posted:

If you search online for "list of best X-Files episodes", 95% of the names are always going to be one off, monster of the week or otherwise experimental ones.

I am partial to Monday (incidentally, written by Vince Gilligan) due to it's super cool take on the classic Groundhog Day formula; I love the fact that everything starts at the same point every time, but people are behaving/responding to things in a slight different way each day - since they are not robots with 100% perfect action/reaction routines - with the accompanying butterly effect.

That's partly due to the show premiering when TV shows had a vastly different model for how episodes were supposed to work, though. The reason that the best episodes were one-offs is that almost every episode was a one-off. If you look at the number of X-Files episodes that actually advanced the metaplot, it's usually only 4-6 each season, and usually several of those could be mistaken for monster of the week episodes with guest appearances by the Cigarette Smoking man or Deep Throat. And that was considered to be heavy serialization, for the time.

Babylon 5 is the opposite end of the spectrum, where the serialized episodes are almost universally remembered better than the mostly one-off episodes, although every episode usually advanced the metaplot at least a little.

I do think we've gone too far into serialization for many shows; it leads to, for want of a better word, plot burnout. The nice thing about one-off episodes is that it creates a kind of baseline for a show; a ground state to measure the metaplot episodes against. If every day is change and crisis, you have no feel for what's being changed; you need a few regular days at the office to compare the disasters to.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

That's partly due to the show premiering when TV shows had a vastly different model for how episodes were supposed to work, though. The reason that the best episodes were one-offs is that almost every episode was a one-off. If you look at the number of X-Files episodes that actually advanced the metaplot, it's usually only 4-6 each season, and usually several of those could be mistaken for monster of the week episodes with guest appearances by the Cigarette Smoking man or Deep Throat. And that was considered to be heavy serialization, for the time.

Babylon 5 is the opposite end of the spectrum, where the serialized episodes are almost universally remembered better than the mostly one-off episodes, although every episode usually advanced the metaplot at least a little.

Which is why it amazes so many people that the two shows both premiered in 1993.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g72uGYd5EJQ

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Probably way late to this, but I just realized Homelander's son should be called Homeboy.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I do think we've gone too far into serialization for many shows; it leads to, for want of a better word, plot burnout. The nice thing about one-off episodes is that it creates a kind of baseline for a show; a ground state to measure the metaplot episodes against. If every day is change and crisis, you have no feel for what's being changed; you need a few regular days at the office to compare the disasters to.

Person of Interest did very well at it, with the layers being unpeeled as the show went on, and a mix of stand alone and those pushing the main plot until the last season.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

That Homelander “I can do whatever the gently caress I want” moment is incredible and never fails to horrify and amuse me. How he tries to hide the brutal threat behind that smirk is amazing.

PST posted:

Person of Interest did very well at it, with the layers being unpeeled as the show went on, and a mix of stand alone and those pushing the main plot until the last season.

Person of interest is one of the best shows I have ever seen. I know it can’t be considered prestige tv but it was better than a whole lot of extremely expensive tv.Just a thoroughly great journey that by the end was just tugging at your heart strings.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, it suffered from that network tv "every episode should stand alone/be a case of the week" bullshit in the early seasons, but it just built and built to an incredible ending that was emotionally satisfying and paid off various plot elements.

That Nolan went on to do the same thing far, far worse in Westworld blows my mind.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The show took an absolute nosedive in quality after Taraji Henson left and they started giving Jim less screen time but the episode where she dies and he goes on a rampage is loving amazing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVHwlqyMyhM

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Homelander teaching his kid about his powers by throwing him out of his tree house lol dad of the year.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

McSpanky posted:

Homelander teaching his kid about his powers by throwing him out of his tree house lol dad of the year.

Looked like a different actor to me.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I didn't freeze-frame it, either way good stuff, can't wait.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Ok, I did some freeze framing (spoilers obviously)

First thing I noticed was that Homelander kills this guy

right in front of cameras and a crowd

the background building and lady with the microphone behind him seem to indicate this takes place after he lands in the middle of the anti-supe soldier protest. Homelander letting himself off the chain more publicly makes him even more scary...

The kid he shoves off the roof isn't the same one from the finale, but they could have recast?

I can't tell what's in Black Noir's visor reflection, but he's doing great! [is it the kid from the first trailer?]

The first boat we see The Boys on is called "My Big Wet Dream"

The helicopter hovering over them doesn't last long

Taken out by Homelander?
The second boat we see them on is much smaller

and they seem to be followed by a shark or dolphin fin- one of The Deep's buddies?
The Female has a shocking encounter with Stormfront

An unknown man gets punched by a hooded figure

The hooded figure seemed to have long blonde hair, Starlight maybe?
Then there's this lil guy

Also, Butcher's punches seemed fast? Powerful? It could have just been the editing, but I wonder if when he comes back to the group he's juiced himself up.

There was more, a new telekinetic supe, Homelander lapping up the milk... but that's the stuff that stood out to me.

Zazz Razzamatazz fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 8, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I hope that's a different character and they didn't recast Homelander's kid. The original kid had the same scary hateful look as Homelander.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I can't tell what's in Black Noir's visor reflection, but he's doing great! [is it the kid from the first trailer?]

That's definitely Billy, an earlier preview showed him and Noir facing off at one point

Actually you can see it for about 3 frames at around 1:14 --

I love the shark following them, I wonder how The Deep will gently caress it up

Supreme Allah fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 8, 2020

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Supreme Allah posted:

That's definitely Billy, an earlier preview showed him and Noir facing off at one point

From what we know of The Deep? probably literally. He does it with dolphins, sharks aren't that much of a stretch...

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Supreme Allah posted:

I just want them to come up with some aerosol explosive to deal with it. Shark repellent Bat Butcher Spray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

How the heck are they planning to kill Homelander?