Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

yook posted:

Rewatching in full screen with sound this time, it does seem like homelander is landing after the initial dust blast, though it’s also clear the supe is waiting for the crowd to flee behind him before attacking, too.

Idk, maybe the initial attack knocked homelander away and that’s his return trip we see.

How does Kimiko and her brother get the compound? Were those vials supplied to the terrorist group by Vought as well? Is that elaborated on at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

By Homelander. They find her in the first place tracking down A-Train's deliveries.
Jesus christ. I completely forgot about that. I should really revisit the first season. Thanks!

StashAugustine posted:

just because he's got a connection to people the us considers terrorists doesn't mean he was actually doing anything there
Not to mention there have been cases where innocent people are forced into the program against their will. I am really curious if they will go into any more depth about what exactly happened here or if they'll just glance right past it.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Holy poo poo. What an episode. So much to unpack. The Nazi reveal was absolutely fantastic, and the reveal was worth waiting six episodes for. A bit disappointed they went the cliche route, but she stands to be one of the more memorable Nazi villains since Red Skull and the guy from Indiana Jones.

One thing that stood out to me. How is Butcher is able to walk into a hospital without being accosted. Hasn't he been America's most wanted ever since the Stillwell incident?

I loved the fact that Jay ends up dying anyway. That was a nice little detail to pile on top of the tragedy sandwich.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

PneumonicBook posted:

And definitely not telegraphed a mile away multiple episodes ago am I right guys?

There were some clues, but this is the episode that put it away. If you read the thread, I had theorized that if they were going with the Nazi direction, they would save the reveal for a big moment, and my prediction was right on the money.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Into The Mild posted:

you're kidding me ... after denying that we all guessed she was a nazi.. now its like "oh yeah it was fantastic" ..
You didn't think it was a good reveal? The pacing of the whole thing, it was a master class in how to reveal a huge plot point. Then there's the uncertainly about how Homelander would react, and the kiss was perfect.

Either way, if you keep lingering on my theory that turned out to be wrong, that's more on you at this point. I've moved on. So have other people. Can we talk about how amazing this episode was?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

Wasn't expecting Annie to kill the driver and especially wasn't expecting her reaction to it. She did want to save Hughie, but to be fair they were trying to rob him and Butcher was acting really hostile; he doesn't pull the gun out until he sees Butcher being armed himself, which I would say makes a ton of difference. Hell, he even offered to drive them to a hospital a few moments before, even if he knew they were clearly lying about being FBI.

That's...callous. I guess someone was going to die no matter what at the point where she zaps him, but they really are equally to blame for getting to that point in the first place.
This episode was the pivotal point where Starlight makes the jump from hero to villain territory. There is no one good left in the show anymore. She literally murders an innocent person to push her agenda. Is that any different from Stormfront or Homelander killing people to get what they want?

They car jack someone and kill him when he refuses. If you think that's acceptable under any circumstance, you're victim blaming.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Killing people to advance a fascist agenda and killing people to stop a fascist agenda actually are different.

The show is deliberately comparing Starlight and Butcher, who goes too far for his ends. If you think it's comparing them to Stormfront/Homelander it's because your sympathy for Nazism is bleeding through.
The show also compared Butcher and Stormfront, which is an interesting take.

I also feel that having Starlight kill an innocent civilian was very much deliberate. They could have easily had them gain access to a vehicle by killing a hospital employee. She even comments about how she won't even shed a tear for him, showing how far down she's come. If the dialogue wasn't clear enough, we see her literally descending down to the boys level as she goes down the stairs after removing the chip, further signifying she's left her superhero ideals behind. I also find it interesting how she chooses to blame the victim. She didn't kill him- the victim chose when he got the gun. Note that this is eerily similar to how A-Train justifies all of his murders. Now that Starlight believes the end justify the means, it'll be interesting to see just how far she will go.

People love to cheer for Butcher, but he's just as ruthless and manipulative as Stormfront. Let's not forget he was willing to kill a literal child just because they were a supe. It'll be interesting to see if Starlight can get Butcher to change his views.

moist turtleneck posted:

Someone in this thread specifically posted an article about a gopro that had an sd card that survived in the ocean for months and that's exactly what the show used which is pretty awesome
That was me. Figured it was a possibility since I happen to know memory cards are basically indestructible.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I definitely wasn't expecting her to still be alive after getting zapped that long. Cindy is going to cause so much chaos.
Is the implication that she was the one responsible for the head exploding assassination?

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 25, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I love the fact that their plan for breaking into a maximum security facility is to set off an explosion to break through the fence, then wear uniforms and pretend like they belong there, despite the fact that almost everyone in the facility would be familiar with one another and they would arouse suspicion almost immediately.

Their idea of providing back up security is parking their van in an open field, clearly visible from the upper floors of the building.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

Eh, the thing is, it isn't a government's top secret facility, it's a corporation's. Even the need for security can never seem to matter more to gigantic corporations than increasing profitability. They probably use staffing sub contractors, and pay most positions as little as possible, thus they most likely have a decent turnover rate.

They would be relying on the fact that everyone would have signed lots of NDAs and they have your address, work history and list of people you trusted to name as references. If you leak, Lamplighter will come see you and express Vought's displeasure. Plus they probably lie to most of the staff and say these are just dangerous supes they find and contain, instead of create.

The van in a field though, I'll agree was odd. Seems like the parking lot would be way less conspicuous. Even better, they should have stolen a food truck and had Hewie serving waffle fry nachos as cover.

Then again, maybe I'm the idiot for looking for realism where people shrug off .50 caliber rounds to the chest and shoot laser beams out of their eyes. I just thought it was funny, because they make a big deal about their grand plan, but it amounts to them bum rushing the hospital while hoping no one sees them break in.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Alchenar posted:

It's a secure hospital trying not to look like anything more exciting than a secure hospital. The fence and security is for keeping people in, not keeping people out.

It wouldn't have been much of an episode if Kimiko just punched a hole through the wall like the Kool aid man.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

VagueRant posted:

Settle a bet, observant fellow goons. Starlight definitely killed that guy, right? Lotta blood pooling behind his head, she didn't look relieved when she checked for a pulse, guilt shot of the baby seat.
He's definitely dead. He landed squarely on the back of his head, and they are miles away from a hospital. At least the kind he needs, anyway.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

BurritoJustice posted:

What are the chances that Frenchie, Jay and Cherie are in a Ménage a Trois

I'm getting bi vibes from Frenchie, they've dropped a few hints throughout the show
What kind of hints?

I felt like the show answers this by having him specify that Jay was his best friend. Not lover. Not boyfriend. But best friend.

Does the comic go into any details about this at all?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

VegasGoat posted:

1) The opening scene when he's talking about Golden Girls. Frenchie says he started his own family, and Cherie is Blanche, and Jay is his Dorothy and Cherie says "ah cause you're a little gay".

2) The long pause when he says "my uh... my best friend", when telling Lamplighter about it, like he's debating what to call him.

3) After MM gets choked by the trouser snake, and MM is freaked out and says "that's his loving dick" and Frenchie says "don't be so close minded".
Ooo poo poo, good catch. The third one kinda cinches it for me. Definitely gives a darker overtone to his story, though. I like that his sexual preference isn't a huge focal point.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Nuebot posted:

it isn't strictly about race
Its literally all about racial purity. Edgar is a dead man walking at this point.

Then again, Stormfront doesn't exactly meet the Aryan standards. Then again, neither did Hitler?

I still think Edgar is destined to meet a brutal end.

Also, there's something hilarious about Stormfront picking a super obvious password on her computer. That's a total grandma thing to do.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

GD_American posted:

(obviously reading from phone in hand) "The swastika continues to be used as a symbol of good luck and prosperity in Hindu and Buddhist countries such as Nepal, India, Mongolia, China and Japan. It is also commonly used in Hindu marriage ceremonies."
Nope. Recognized the Swastika right away. Especially as a history buff with an interest in WWII.

The Nazis had a big interest in the occult, and they also were interested in the idea of creating super soldiers.

Makes for an interesting read. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.livescience.com/amp/65788-world-war-ii-nazis-methamphetamines.html

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 26, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

That bothered me because it was clearly in a Shoppers Drug Mart.

Stormfront's Nazi box has a Hitler Youth Knife in it too, in case you have any doubts.

I"m just really into mystical symbols! Yea, if you're a white guy you shouldn't be getting non white symbols tattoo'd on you, especially ones that are cooped by racists.

Who would look at the last episode and still have doubts about her Nazi ties? Certainly not me. They literally spell it out for you.

In case you didn't know, Aya Cash is of Jewish heritage by way of her father (Aya means hawk in Hebrew), so it makes her portrayal of a Nazi ranting about racial purity just that much more chilling. Here's an article where she discusses it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indiewire.com/2020/09/the-boys-season-2-aya-cash-stormfront-secret-spoilers-1234588496/amp/

Here's an interesting little snippet from the article. Hmm mm.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 26, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

If you haven't seen the 2010 film Super, I highly recommend it. It follows the same thematic idea of placing superheroes inside a real life environment and all the shenanigans that result.

Click here for the trailer.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

That trailer is on levels like Bridge to Terabithia. That movie is very brutal and gross.

It definitely utilizes a lot of dark humor. I think it's a perfect companion piece to the show. Anyone who hasn't seen it should definitely add it to their list.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Having Homelander turn when adulation is brought into it seems to run counter to his big bad moment saying he don't need no one.
I don't think it's adulation, as much as "genuine" affection. Maeve showers him with praise too, but it doesn't work because Homelander can see through her charade. His first blowout occurs after it's revealed Stillwell has been using him like a pawn. It makes sense that he would cling onto someone who is willing to reveal all of her cards.

Stormfront's recruitment of Homelander is analogous to how a lot of extremist groups recruit members. American History X is a good movie that shows the process in more detail.

I have a feeling Stormfront doesn't actually care about Homelander. She just wants to use him and spit him out after he's served his purpose. We've seen that she is a master at obfuscating her true intentions. She is one of the most fascinating villains I've seen in quite some time, and I can't wait to see how she meets her demise. There are so many possibilities, all of which would be just as satisfying, although I would be disappointed if Kimiko doesn't get her revenge.

Binary Logic posted:

Love that movie but he has no superpowers. IMO Hancock is closer to the spirt of The Boys - an out-of-control supe who gives no fucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkX1VuXLRSc
That's a good point! I know there was a movie called Brightburn that was about the similar premise. Is that one worth a watch at all?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

The car pulls over to pick her up, as indicated by the fact that he activates his turn signals while he's pulled over. Something that would be decidedly difficult to do without a head.

One funny thing I noticed. The bullet marks on Cindy's backs from getting shot are mysteriously missing when she gets into the car. I like to think she decided to track down a change of clothes before leaving. :v:

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Sio posted:

The trans stripper line in this episode really sucked. It wasn't even particularly offensive on the grand scale of jokes about trans people, you know? There's no slur, no super comical overreaction from MM, but as mild as the joke was, it still pulled me right out of the episode and left my mind focused on what the writer's intent even was there. Were they even trying to make a joke, or was this some misguided attempt at defining Frenchie as the tolerant one? It was just so unnecessary, and now I'm left wondering if the writers think I'm a walking punchline or not.
Regarding the characters themselves, none of them gave off any transphobic vibes.I really like how progressive the show is when it comes to dealing with issues like that. But I can see how the joke is offensive and in bad taste.

I did not expect MM to be comic relief, but he's had some of the best lines of the show. The utter look of disgust when he educated Starlight about dry wiping reminded me of this classic.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 28, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Ah, you're the expert on transphobia, rather than the trans* posters in this thread. Makes sense.
I never claimed to be an expert, but I'm still allowed to have an opinion on the matter. I just don't think any of the members of the boys are transphobic. Especially considering one of the members is bi or pansexual.

That exchange about the strippers felt more like a joke about how bachelor parties are stereotypically filled with all kinds of debauchery with strippers and partying, and MM would rather just do a golf trip.

But as for their comment with the show runner's inclusion of those types of jokes, I can see how it would be distasteful.

I wonder if they'll address this issue at all. All the actors and show runners (note my exclusion of garth ennis from this) seem really progressive and open to feedback.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 28, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Breakfast Burrito posted:

you're allowed to have an opinion but your opinion is wrong. the joke was transphobic and lovely (note: I'm not saying any of the characters are because I'm not interested in that kind of essentialist speculation, just talking about this specific joke) for reasons I posted earlier in the thread:
I was just talking about the characters themselves and how I viewed their interaction. We're basically in agreement when it comes to the characters. I'm just here to talk about the show and the characters in general. Nothing beyond that.

Note my opinion wasn't about transphobic nature of the jokes, just about the characters. I can see why that inclusions of jokes like that would be upsetting to you though.

Edit to say I really appreciate you explaining your side of things without blowing up. We've come a long way since Dane Cook used to drop homophobic slurs to thunderous applause, but it seems we still have a long way to go.

boo_radley posted:

it's about the intent of the writers and the lived experience and reactions of the trans audience based on those lived experiences.

If you have a particular frame of reference, you'd be better off critiquing the show from that lens, rather than invalidating trans voices (no matter whether that was intentional).
I don't intend to invalidate anyone's voice. Just wanted to share my take on the characters, and as you see above, we pretty much agree.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 28, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Blendy posted:

I figure there's no way we don't have someone from the boys get juiced on a stable or nearly stable stolen compound V. If not this season it'll be in the next one.
I really thought Hughie was going to get a big emergency dose of Compound V when he got impaled.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Tip posted:

Her power is telekinesis, so yeah, she could pop someone's head and then pull the car over and stop it.

The fact that we didn't see any blood makes it likely she didn't kill them, but then again, who wants to drive in a car filled with blood and guts? She could have just crushed their windpipe or something to have less mess.

If she killed him, how do you explain the turn signals being activated? Are you telling me she blew him up and decided to activate the turn signals as she pulled the car over slowly? That would be hilarious if true.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Looks like b-roll from a Linkin Park video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qlCC1GOwFw

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 28, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Was that the hood 'Liberty' wore in Stormfront's box of mementos?
It was.

Makes me wonder what did in the interim between Liberty and now. Just hang out in an airbnb for a while?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

so who all do we think is gonna bite it before this season is over with? Lamplighter for sure, but i just can't see Stormfront's plot ending so soon

Mallory too, maybe?
I would love to see Stormlight come back next season, but it feels like we've seen all her Nazi tricks. Not much else she could do to prove that she's evil, really.

A-Train's plot is kinda fizzling out, so it'd be interesting if he takes out Stormlighter in an ultimate act of sacrifice type deal to complete his redemption arc. I know Kimiko has the rightful claim, but I just want to see A-Train give her the middle finger in a big way after all the micro aggressions he's had to put up with from her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

McSpanky posted:

Whatever confrontation is going to happen, it's going to happen by the end of the season. This is a Kripke show, he believes in firing all your Chekhov's guns by the end of the play, bless his heart.
Was he in charge last season? Because it literally ended on a cliff hanger.