Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Batterypowered7 posted:

about Dora getting cheated on by Plankton
This does not remotely begin to describe the full scope of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Batterypowered7 posted:

Closest thing I've seen is a similar comic about Dora getting cheated on by Plankton: https://imgur.com/gallery/ktEIuun

What the poo poo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's like Ahab finally locating moby dick and he shows him his collection of anime figurines. Just a real back out of the room moment

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's like Ahab finally locating moby dick and he shows him his collection of anime figurines. Just a real back out of the room moment

yeah that's deeply weird but that feels more like "art student who is aware of weird horny online poo poo having a laugh" than it does "made with a relentless and unexamined horny sincerity"

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Milo and POTUS posted:

:ohno:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

This really isn’t that far fetched an idea, the third chapter of the actual book is Ishmael worrying about Queequeg’s waifu.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 23, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Batterypowered7 posted:

Closest thing I've seen is a similar comic about Dora getting cheated on by Plankton: https://imgur.com/gallery/ktEIuun

That was uh, quite the rollercoaster.

I'm not going to say this is a pro click, but it's certainly something.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Flummoxing

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Batterypowered7 posted:

Lmao close enough ty

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

That's what y'all get for being nosy.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I found it https://imgur.com/a/jrNzV8Z

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Same artist? The best part is the person Wolverine is sleeping with is so totally out of left field:

That's "El Chavo del Ocho" from a loving ancient (1973-1980) Mexican sitcom. It's really popular in Latin America.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Maybe someone else will have a memory of this

Around 2007-2008 or so, in TCC, there was a thread in which a total amateur with no prior gardening experience got ahold of some cannabis seeds and attempted to germinate them in a styrofoam cup, against the advice of most of the thread. He documented his process and managed to get a sprout going before he finally transferred it into a pot and had a really janky grow set up in his closet. If I remember right he was living in a dorm or a small apartment and trying to grow one lovely plant was a bad idea, but he defied the odds and managed to do it.

It may have been in the weed thread itself, but it was a long time ago

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Batterypowered7 posted:

Same artist? The best part is the person Wolverine is sleeping with is so totally out of left field:

That's "El Chavo del Ocho" from a loving ancient (1973-1980) Mexican sitcom. It's really popular in Latin America.

Is that who Bumblebee Man on The Simpsons is based on?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is that who Bumblebee Man on The Simpsons is based on?

Shockingly no. That was a different '70s Mexican comedy: El Chapulín Colorado. It was created by the same guy as El Chavo, though.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 24, 2021

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Love the consistency that Shrek manages this universe's transportation

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Shockingly no. That was a different '70s Mexican comedy: El Chapulín Colorado. It was created by the same guy as El Chavo, though.

Yeah, Chespirito was the GOAT.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

It was an old article, maybe from the late 00s even? But it was talking about Japan's 'Galapagos phones' and how they were making it difficult for the iPhone to make a dent into the market there, despite its success in the west. I don't think it mentioned Android, so this might have been either before or just around the time the first Android phone was being released. The big thing I remember it mentioning though was the iPhone was so unsuccessful there, mobile carriers were having to do deals where you'd get one free if you signed up to a new line just so they could shift units.

I really want to go back and reread it because it sounds like such a bizarre flip of the times. Even in trying to dig it up, articles from as early as like 2013 were talking about how it was healthily selling and there were worries it would displace Japan's domestic cell phone industry.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
were there real tommy hilfiger clothes to match what the characters wore in 1080 snowboarding? cuz i always wanted that

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

ishikabibble posted:

It was an old article, maybe from the late 00s even? But it was talking about Japan's 'Galapagos phones' and how they were making it difficult for the iPhone to make a dent into the market there, despite its success in the west. I don't think it mentioned Android, so this might have been either before or just around the time the first Android phone was being released. The big thing I remember it mentioning though was the iPhone was so unsuccessful there, mobile carriers were having to do deals where you'd get one free if you signed up to a new line just so they could shift units.

I really want to go back and reread it because it sounds like such a bizarre flip of the times. Even in trying to dig it up, articles from as early as like 2013 were talking about how it was healthily selling and there were worries it would displace Japan's domestic cell phone industry.

I read this article too. It was good and I wonder to this day if Apple japan has ever rolled out a competent suite of adultery features into ios.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

She has a lot of work on instagram and this is the most intensely latin american thing I have ever seen

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 24, 2021

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

ishikabibble posted:

It was an old article, maybe from the late 00s even? But it was talking about Japan's 'Galapagos phones' and how they were making it difficult for the iPhone to make a dent into the market there, despite its success in the west.

I recall when emoji were a feature added for and gated specifically to Japan to iOS to encourage market share. Possible that tying that in to your search might help dredge up something.

EDIT: I remember downloading an app that nominally did something stupid, but secretly unlocked the emoji keyboard! poo poo was wild back in the day.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

She has a lot of work on instagram and this is the most intensely latin american thing I have ever seen

You know, I thought Vegeta was wearing a pink tank top but it's actually a thong, lmao

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

ishikabibble posted:

Possibly https://www.wired.com/2009/02/why-the-iphone/?

quote:

What's wrong with the iPhone, from a Japanese perspective? Almost everything: the high monthly data plans that go with it, its paucity of features, the low-quality camera, the unfashionable design and the fact that it's not Japanese.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
I've been trying to find a stickman cartoon strip I saw on here a long while ago.

It's Batman vs Superman, except it's showing how utterly outmatched Batman actually is. Batman has his kryptonite ring, Superman punts him into the sun. Or drops the moon on his head.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am not the one who asked for it but I bet that Wired article was it, since I too remember reading an article about that and it clearly came from a big source

Also I remember reading about Japanese Feature Phones in like 2004 and being mad we did not have anything that cool. I wish I had realized I would one day come to hate everything about cool phones

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I'm looking for a YouTube video from like 10 years ago about speed-cooking. The dude completely destroys his kitchen on purpose doing poo poo like throwing a carton of milk like a hand grenade, slamming all the cooking utensils around as hard as he can, and tries to cut water with a knife. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
I got another one here - years back the museum of contemporary art here in Chicago did an exhibit called "sympathy for the devil" - they exhibited rock and roll stuff - one of the things they had was a collection of music videos. Maybe they were weird or artsy or made by a certain person, I forgot why they were being exhibited together.

One of the videos which I haven't been able to find looked like it was from the 80s. Either the band's name or the song's name was just one letter. Maybe it was "Z" or sthg. And the video was strange; don't remember much but one shot was some doll heads strung up together. The music was unremarkable but the vocals were just screaming.

I haven't been able to find this video since. Perhaps a combo of bad memory and not really looking too hard.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Neukoln19 posted:

I got another one here - years back the museum of contemporary art here in Chicago did an exhibit called "sympathy for the devil" - they exhibited rock and roll stuff - one of the things they had was a collection of music videos. Maybe they were weird or artsy or made by a certain person, I forgot why they were being exhibited together.

One of the videos which I haven't been able to find looked like it was from the 80s. Either the band's name or the song's name was just one letter. Maybe it was "Z" or sthg. And the video was strange; don't remember much but one shot was some doll heads strung up together. The music was unremarkable but the vocals were just screaming.

I haven't been able to find this video since. Perhaps a combo of bad memory and not really looking too hard.
There's a ton of info out there if you Google "sympathy for the devil" "Chicago" "museum" "videos" or throw MCA in there. Maybe something here rings a bell?

https://macm.org/en/exhibitions/sympathy-for-the-devil/

e: There's also this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_(American_band)
The video itself may have been made exclusively for the museum exhibit, so it may be gone forever (unless you can get in touch with Dominic Molon, who put it together).

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 27, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Time_pants posted:

I'm looking for a YouTube video from like 10 years ago about speed-cooking. The dude completely destroys his kitchen on purpose doing poo poo like throwing a carton of milk like a hand grenade, slamming all the cooking utensils around as hard as he can, and tries to cut water with a knife. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Regular Ordinary Swedish Meal Time did kind of that sort of thing, and the timeframe is about right. https://www.youtube.com/rosmt/videos

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

My Lovely Horse posted:

Regular Ordinary Swedish Meal Time did kind of that sort of thing, and the timeframe is about right. https://www.youtube.com/rosmt/videos
Huh, they stopped after making a 1,000,000 subscriber special video? Who does that? Oh yeah, THE SWEDES

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Time_pants posted:

too lazy to find the link, it's from a NZ show called moon tv, sketch called speed cooking, guy called leigh hart. predates swedish youtubers but you can find it on youtube. there are several "episodes" of it including one with a nz-famous chef. also check out the "bookzone" sketches from moontv. they're funny.

it's a milk carton he cuts in half with a knife, not water.

e: i wanted to watch it again so i found the first one
https://youtu.be/pah2yk3Jx50

Deep Glove Bruno fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 28, 2021

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

too lazy to find the link, it's from a NZ show called moon tv, sketch called speed cooking, guy called leigh hart. predates swedish youtubers but you can find it on youtube. there are several "episodes" of it including one with a nz-famous chef. also check out the "bookzone" sketches from moontv. they're funny.

it's a milk carton he cuts in half with a knife, not water.

e: i wanted to watch it again so i found the first one
https://youtu.be/pah2yk3Jx50

You are--and I want to put this in the most precise, accurate terms possible--the greatest person to ever walk the Earth. Thank you!!

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Time_pants posted:

You are--and I want to put this in the most precise, accurate terms possible--the greatest person to ever walk the Earth. Thank you!!

speed cooking made me cackle till i was out of breath when i saw it and i thank you for reminding me about it.

weirdly i worked with some guys who were on that, before i knew what moon tv was. I mean it's NZ, it's a tiny place, so that's not that weird, but yeah. never met leigh hart but did shows for others involved.

they also did something called "late night big breakfast" that was like... a morning studio show parody that was filmed (if i remember correctly) after hours in a furniture showroom? i can't remember the details but moon tv was cool and so was that. better than anything i did with those dudes anyway.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hey thread, I'm trying to remember the name of an old, like even pre 00's "webcomic" where it was done with a photograph of a slender plastic rabbit toy photoshopped into various backgrounds. I remember one of the storylines was about getting into QA work in tech before the dot com bubble.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Mr. Lobe posted:

Hey thread, I'm trying to remember the name of an old, like even pre 00's "webcomic" where it was done with a photograph of a slender plastic rabbit toy photoshopped into various backgrounds. I remember one of the storylines was about getting into QA work in tech before the dot com bubble.

EDIT: definitely wrong, can't remember the actual title, oops

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Every now and then I try, to no avail, to find a really dumb old Flash cartoon called 'The Donkey in Paris'. It might have been Ebaumsworld content or some other similar page, but I literally haven't been able to find it since like 2004.

It features the titular donkey character talking about enjoying Paris in the springtime "when I have the liquefying flesh disease." He then goes to an apothecary for some ointment for said disease, and the apothecary stands there reciting quotes lyrics from a Dre & Snoop song ("I just wanna gently caress mad bitches," etc.).

That's all I remember, but actually I think it might be the entire Flash cartoon.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Mr. Lobe posted:

Sounds like Leisure Town to me.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

bingo, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Hughmoris posted:

I've been trying to find an old SA story. The gist of it being a kid (Kyle) had a pokemon battle at school, and got slapped around. He had to swap away his best character to his bully, and in turn received a character named Kylesucks.

He spent the next three months buffing up Kylesucks and won the next battle with him.

I've never paid attention to pokemon but I love that story, if anyone can find it.

I know this story because I wrote it in one of theose giant threads for stories about trolling in videogames. I'm afraid to admit that it was a work of fiction.

Edit: not sure where to grab the orginal I but found a copy someone posted on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/4ywlsu/whats_the_most_dedicated_case_of_the_long_con/d6rgfqc

Dr_Amazing fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 3, 2022