Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

oh dope posted:

more or less directly responsible for the extinction of the human race

That would be a pretty cool epitaph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Lowtax, you really need to find Mr Leonard J Crabbs to respond to this tripe.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

1redflag posted:

That would be a pretty cool epitaph.

No one left to read it though :(

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Telebite posted:

so does the article basically imply that if lowtax never existed, trump wouldn't be president? :raise:

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
I like NPR but that article. Ugh.

How did that person even get that book printed?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Trump is President, guys.

And we're responsible!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

I like NPR but that article. Ugh.

How did that person even get that book printed?

I like SOME of npr, I regularly turn it off during long bs aggrandizing cultural or whatever stories. It’s my main still.

E same on having difficulty reading that narrative it was badd

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

lol guys name is andrew limpdong

Just gonna quote what William Henry Hairytaint said about 4 channers could equally be applied to this article writer, and probably also a massive amount of other people who write articles.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I dunno man I didn't say it made any sense. Plus if we're gonna trace responsibility back that far we may as well go a little farther and blame the parents. Let's not kid ourselves most of the people on 4chan should have been shot into a tissue instead of a vagina.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

Trump is President, guys.

And we're responsible!

wait the idiot tv guy???

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
must be hard being a mod. Ban a buncha racist idiots who go start their own racist idiot site and somehow it's your fault when a retarded game show host becomes president.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
SA and specifically D&D is the most anti-Trump and radically leftist site I'm aware of on the internet.

Also, how do you meme someone into the Presidency? The Resistance is so dumb.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
WHOOPS!

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Huskalator posted:

SA and specifically D&D is the most anti-Trump and radically leftist site I'm aware of on the internet.

Also, how do you meme someone into the Presidency? The Resistance is so dumb.

My communist c-spam bros are pretty dumb about this. Trump won the election by enough voters to fill a mid-sized sports stadium across a few states. You could very easily make the argument that trump voters are retarded and enough retards were influenced by russian memes to make Trump president. In fact I'm making that argument right now. Humanity is stupid and we're all hosed hail satan.

old beast lunatic fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 30, 2019

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

why is banning someone who made something horrible after being banned the same as birthing that horrible thing yourself
something awful has a pretty strong sense of communal identity compared to most of the internet (moreso back in the day), and the spin-off sites from banned users usually try to recreate that sense of identity except they're allowed to do whatever it is that got them banned
from the outside, people mistake that for an origin story

it's like
we're a local boxing gym, with a lot of inside jokes
and they're people who were banned from the gym for kicking people in the dick
and now they're wandering the streets kicking people in the dick, while repeating our old jokes
and amateur sleuths with an overdeveloped sense of righteousness look at us like "you hit people, right? that's what you people do here? explain yourselves!"
and we're not sure why we have to explain what a gym is
also we barely even really box here anymore, we mostly just get high and complain about netflix

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Cubone posted:

something awful has a pretty strong sense of communal identity compared to most of the internet (moreso back in the day), and the spin-off sites from banned users usually try to recreate that sense of identity except they're allowed to do whatever it is that got them banned
from the outside, people mistake that for an origin story

it's like
we're a local boxing gym, with a lot of inside jokes
and they're people who were banned from the gym for kicking people in the dick
and now they're wandering the streets kicking people in the dick, while repeating our old jokes
and amateur sleuths with an overdeveloped sense of righteousness look at us like "you hit people, right? that's what you people do here? explain yourselves!"
and we're not sure why we have to explain what a gym is
also we barely even really box here anymore, we mostly just get high and complain about netflix

If kicking people in the dick is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Hmm I'm enlightened now, gently caress you losers!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Burt Sexual posted:

I like SOME of npr, I regularly turn it off during long bs aggrandizing cultural or whatever stories. It’s my main still.

E same on having difficulty reading that narrative it was badd

I like Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and Ask Me Another. Marketplace and Live From Here are irredeemable garbage. Everything else is inoffensive.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What I mean is this place may have birthed 4chan and by extension been the catalyst for Trump getting elected but we've done some good stuff too.

lol at anybody thinking 4chan had anything whatsoever to do with Trump getting elected.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

I. M. Gei posted:

lol at anybody thinking 4chan had anything whatsoever to do with Trump getting elected.

Someone reported this thread as politix, I lold

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Burt Sexual posted:

Someone reported this thread as politix, I lold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g5Hz17C4is

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Jose Oquendo posted:

If anyone from NPR wants to interview me, I'm game. I'll even put on pants.

Why? It's radio

Blowmonkey
Jan 9, 2005

Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.
Just how far can guilt by association stretch before it causes the universe to collapse on itself?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

old beast lunatic posted:

Trump won the election by enough voters to fill a mid-sized sports stadium across a few states

uh what?

trump lost the popular vote by a couple of million. he won the election because of the electoral college, not because more people voted for him

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Sadly guilt by association will go as far as the narrative that carries it.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Didn't the guy who wrote the book admit he had an account here from like 2004 and posted for a few months, left for 15 years, and then wrote said book?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

my dog died im sad posted:

This book comes up in an article every three months or so and I'm reminded of how much the cover art sucks.
Also, didn't the author post here for a little bit shortly after publishing? Maybe I'm misremembering.

Yeah and someone quoted him admitting doing almost no research whatsoever.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Also:

You are literally dumber watching no news than watching Fox News.

And NPR reigns supreme, as is expected.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah but NPR has this stupid poo poo plus they had some dude on there talking about how Bioshock: Infinite was this stunning work of sublime art and storytelling back in the day so they can stumble just like anybody else.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

We knew we were playing with fire, but we couldn't stop ourselves. Now Trump is president and we have only ourselves to blame. Sorry everyone, we blew it.

And since we're laying sins bare here, might as well 'fess up... Gamergate was us too. We really messed up. Big time. poo poo.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Earwicker posted:

uh what?

trump lost the popular vote by a couple of million. he won the election because of the electoral college, not because more people voted for him

I'm counting the difference in michigan, PA, ohio.... whatever other rust belt shitholes went full chud and threw the electoral college. I've heard the under 200k voters gave trump the win statistic a few places. The most recent one I can remember was the mueller report episode of behind the bastards.

You are completely correct about him losing the popular vote by millions. (lol)

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Pawn 17 posted:

Imagine being so extremely online you think 4chan controls election outcomes with frog memes.

This book is dumb, but it's the extremely online who keep insisting that the internet just can't, can't possibly, no way, no how, have any effect on the real world.

Any time an 'internet thing' is in the news, they express shock and dismay that anyone would take words on a screen seriously. Well, you know what, the internet is mainstream now, and those dumbasses who don't keep an Ironic Detachment from everything a computer tells them to are all on it, make up most of the population, and can very much have their opinions swayed by the poo poo they read.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Yeah but NPR has this stupid poo poo plus they had some dude on there talking about how Bioshock: Infinite was this stunning work of sublime art and storytelling back in the day so they can stumble just like anybody else.

Oh they definitely have some stupid poo poo. I listen to NPR almost exclusively and some stuff I just can't take.

On the other hand, they had poo poo like Car Talk which was wonderful. I don't give a poo poo about cars but it was just great. Zorba Paster, Garden Talk, all poo poo I don't really care about but is pretty interesting.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Real take. NPR audio engineers over amplify the audio so much on crowd scenes or whatever it’s unlistenable

You hear that mom?! That was me doing the recording and playback!

*lists 39 people no one cares about at end of each program*

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Real take: NPR is bought and paid for by the finance industry

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

JK Fresco posted:

Real take: NPR is bought and paid for by the finance industry

And Facebook.

The good thing though is they tell you at the end of every piece describing how lovely and evil said company is.

I listen every morning, but will turn it off after about 20 minutes of, "was this thing Trump said racist? Let's hear what X has to say." Which, has been god damned daily.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

interwhat posted:

And Facebook.

The good thing though is they tell you at the end of every piece describing how lovely and evil said company is.

I listen every morning, but will turn it off after about 20 minutes of, "was this thing Trump said racist? Let's hear what X has to say." Which, has been god damned daily.

Aaaaah they also spend 3 minutes giving out their social media handles at the end of every show. Idgaf jfc

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

interwhat posted:

:same:
I'm not even sure how to feel about it. Ignoring the influence of money and special interests for the moment, and just thinking about what a legit organization focused on journalism should do, how do you even handle coverage of the near daily gently caress ups coming out of the country's executive leadership? Just keep plugging away every day because reporting on it is your job, no matter how repetitive and fatiguing it is for your audience? Do you draw the line somewhere and just give up? Or limit it to like one weekly white house roundup? Like, I'm glad the information is out there, but is there anyone who hasn't made up their mind after 2-3 years of this poo poo?

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
It's embedded in their organization to continue reporting negatively on this administration. It's not being done on accident nor are there only bad things to report.

Love or hate the current admin, whatever, it's how these organizations peddle what they have to say that should concern anyone.

Those who got their opinion that half the country is racist because their candidate lost the 2016 election 2.5 years ago need to check their own reality for confirmation bias. Follow the money.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
NPR is what you get when you don't regularly give milquetoast centerists wedgies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

quote:

There's less of a focus on himself in the book. Instead he opts for an empathetic distance, like a guy explaining how his crew from high school lost touch over the years — oh, I moved away for school, and then Jerry got really into basketball, and Ryan just kept getting angry for no reason. Except replace "basketball" with "hating Black people and women" and "angry" with "really angry." It's a disappointing omission.

You don't say