Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Haven't posted in a bit - a new thread, cool

I'm not sure how I feel about Trent Williams. Obviously an awesome player, but more not sure how I'd feel about trading a 2 + giving him a big new contract. Why not trust Douglas to draft a lineman in the 1st or 2nd (and pay 1/3 of what you'd pay for Williams)? That said, it would definitely be cool if it happened

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Kalil is (if healthy) obviously an upgrade over Harrison, and Harrison is more valuable as a swing OL than as a starter. I just don't get why Jets beat writers are hyping this move up so much.

I will say: I'm sure Kalil will help Darnold just by virtue of being smart/being able to read fronts, etc. So that's cool.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

I'm fine with adding more o-line depth.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Play posted:

Although if he's washing out of the Ravens, who are having a serious issue with offensive line talent themselves, that doesn't bode super well.

Sure, it's also a conditional 7th rounder. If he shows he can't play in the preseason, he's probably gone no strings attached. If not, cool.

Also just like that Douglas is paying *any* attention to the offensive line after years of Macc ignoring it.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Darnold did his thing. That was cool. Jets CBs are very, very bad.

Also wild man Gase taking loving smelling salts before a preseason game makes me begrudgingly like him. I know this is a bad opinion and I do not care.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 9, 2019

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I liked the design on a lot of the plays in that first drive. Easy throws.

Yep, that's why they hired Gase and if he can do one thing well it's scheme that stuff. Darnold and Crowder will a fun combo if Crowder stays healthy.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

If Sam Darnold is good, the Jets will contend for a playoff spot

If Sam Darnold is bad, the Jets will not contend for a playoff spot

I think they should let the season play out and see if one of those two scenarios plays out, then start (or don't start) trading away picks for established starters.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 13, 2019

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Herdon is a rookie who hasn't even seen the field. Your going to tell me he's starting quality? And he's already suspended for four games.

Herndon is not a rookie and this shows you have no clue what you are talking about

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Hmmm, for some reason I thought they had just drafted him. Eck, I was thinking of Wesco, they were both 4th round TEs.

Yeah Herndon was the best rookie TE in the NFL and played like a top 10 TE in the NFL for a big stretch of the year last year. All excitement about him is completely justified.

fsif posted:

I'd say they have "above average" upside if Anderson and Herndon can put together seasons they haven't yet, but there are probably at least 16 other collections I'd prefer over the Jets'.

Obviously it mostly depends on Darnold, but I'd say after that everything will hinge on the backfield. If Bell is still the same/a similar guy and if Montgomery can be as useful as he's looked in camp, it will really open up things for the rest of the offense. Crowder staying healthy will be big too. If everything breaks right, I think their peak is a top 10 offense (9 or 10 though), with top half of the league a more realistic scenario (losing Herndon for 4 games is part of that).

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 13, 2019

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Is it blasphemy for me to say that I really liked what the Bills did with their offense in free agency (especially Frank Gore, of course)

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

fsif posted:

I'm high on Anderson and Herndon and agree low top 10 is a plausible best case for the Jets offense.

I still doubt they get there because, in order, 1. their line sucks, 2. Adam Gase is their coach, 3. Darnold is still only a second-year quarterback.

Also definitely important to remember that Darnold is 22 years old. He's not going to be the age Baker was as a rookie until his third year in the league, which is sort of crazy. He's a second year QB and is expected to make a leap, but he's also got a long runway for his development. This is all to say, people shouldn't necessarily be disappointed if Darnold makes *a* leap, but not *the* leap.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Metapod posted:

What do you think is a reasonable expectation for darnold?

I think I would be happy with something like: 63% completion, 7.5 YPA, 25-27 TDs, 12-15 INT, ~4,000 yards.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 13, 2019

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Metapod posted:

Wouldn't that be making the leap though as apposed to just a leap?

I was thinking anything over a QB Rating of 90 or so, which isn't particularly exceptional in today's NFL, but still very promising. The stats I proposed were actually decently close to that (totally unintentionally):

So maybe knock those stats down a bit and we see what a "normal" leap looks like (say 61% completion, 24 TD, 15 INT, or something). I would think "the leap" to being a franchise QB would be a statline that brings him close to the 100 mark, with higher completion percentage, fewer turnovers, etc.:

This is all obviously not scientific at all, given I am relying on QB rating to make my point, but hopefully you get the picture.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 13, 2019

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Jets signed Marcus Cooper. Very exciting stuff.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-sign-veteran-cornerback-marcus-cooper-waive-te-nick-truesdell

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Play posted:

This is what I was kind of hoping they'd try. Get rid of guys who are never gonna cut it and bring in some burnt ends and pieces that might have a chance. Probably it'll turn into nothing but you won't know until you try.

At the very least, having depth with actual experience versus the scrap heap guys they'd otherwise have there is a net positive.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

tarbrush posted:

Hey now. He's definitely found a new coke hook up

I was also gonna say - did he ever do smelling salts in Miami?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

This and the back shoulder throw to Robby were both incredible. The latter especially because so much of it is mental:

https://twitter.com/jetstank/status/1162358077863186433?s=21

Disclaimers about preseason etc., etc., but you can really tell he is processing information more quickly and is more confident in his decision making. Really excited to see if/how it translates to the regular season.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 16, 2019

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

fsif posted:

Who was on the first team then? Cashman?

Cashman mostly and also Neville Hewitt (who actually has played pretty decently since last year, tbh)

Speaking of which:

https://twitter.com/briancoz/status/1162437842104180737?s=21

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

fsif posted:

As expected, Cole Beasley acts as the perfect complement to Josh Allen's skillset.

https://twitter.com/kevincolepff/status/1162509067899719680?s=21

i thought you werent supposed to expose your entire offense in the preseason

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Sheen Sheen posted:

says increasingly nervous man

Josh Allen is bad

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Sheen Sheen posted:

says increasingly nervous man

Josh Allen is bad

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

fsif posted:

Look if you guys can post Darnold incompletions as highlights ITT, at least indulge us in the "Allen goes whole preseason quarter without airmailing a short route".

Darnold is good though, and Allen is bad :colbert:

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

this thread is a beautiful disaster, god bless you all

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Douglas wasn't kidding when he said he'd be active on the waiver wire. Shows what he thinks about the Jets depth. Kindred apparently is an in the box safety who can't cover anyone worth a poo poo. I don't know anything about Anthony, though I imagine he's not a lock to make the team given they just signed McClellan a couple days ago.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1163965278658662400?s=20

https://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN/status/1163919946050605057?s=20

Also they nearly got Dontrelle Inman, and I wouldn't be surprised if they added another WR post-cutdown day. Obviously (rightly) they're not comfortable with the depth behind Enunwa/Anderson/Crowder.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1163947743183695873?s=20

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 21, 2019

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

TheBizzness posted:

Anthony is the literal definition of JAG.

If he’s had been drafted in the 4th round he’d have washed out of the league a couple years ago.

I feel like most of the guys you sign at this point in the preseason are JAGs. Though McClellan at least was a great special teamer last year. Not sure if they view Anthony is a ST guy or as ILB depth or both.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Play posted:

Anyways, it doesn't matter if they're jags. The guy is trying to build the best possible team with the tools available, that's exactly what I was hoping he would do. The Jets' depth is garbo and that won't and shouldn't be fixed overnight

Agreed. Filling out your roster with JAGs is fine; good, even. Even if guys like Alex Lewis or whoever were mediocre/bad in a starting role or while seeing significant game action, they take on a different kind of value when you only want them for depth. Just having bodies that actually have that experience is valuable.

This isn't to say that Douglas has fixed the Jets depth or something, far from it, but it's definitely getting better.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 21, 2019

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Brandon Copeland got suspended four games, lol. I guess that explains the Stephone Anthony signing yesterday.

Outside of the offense, this training camp has been horrific.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Diva Cupcake posted:

I'd guess Copeland just gets cut at this point. lol

He was on the bubble as it was, though he was getting first team reps this week. Basham has apparently played well, so wouldn't be surprised if that's his spot.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Very reasonable article. Allen is obviously getting better, though expecting the same type of second year leap that you'd expect from Baker or Darnold is premature (and no one should have expected him to develop that quickly anyways). But he seems like he's on track to be good by year 3 or 4, which is fine; all that matters is he appears to be trending the right way.

The Beasley/John Brown signings will be great for him. A receiver like Beasley is perfect for Allen, especially because he'll help him to develop the mental awareness to hit those shorter/intermediate routes when the situation calls for it (which I think is different/maybe more important than the traditional "he'll be a safety blanket" point). Brown was totally out of place in Baltimore once Lamar took over, and will be a nice deep ball target.

Bills had a really good free agency.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 22, 2019

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Is he just not gonna play Rosen or what

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Ehud posted:

he just came into the game and started a drive from his own 1 yard line

nice, gotta earn your stripes to play in the league

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Ehud posted:

99 yard TD drive for Rosen

made an awesome throw and showed great pocket presence

Easy to forget that he was pretty widely viewed as the most pro-ready QB prospect last year. You guys made a great move trading a late 2nd for him. Hopefully they actually give him the opportunity.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

fsif posted:

*extremely preseason-ly* The Bills would be a playoff team if they started Matt Barkley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rxTwAEJhjs

I still can't believe this game happened

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 24, 2019

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

This is a genuinely insane thing for a team like the Dolphins, who either have or are about to draft their QB of the future, to do, lol

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

I just can't see any (well run) team paying a premium pick for Clowney who (1) is better against the run than he is as a pass rusher and (2) might not even stay long term. Like, if you can get him for a 4th or a conditional 3rd? That's more palatable. But sending a 1st rounder or a 2nd rounder for him seems crazy.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

tarbrush posted:

Sure, but this is the AFCE thread

Fair.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

fsif posted:

He's worth a first if you are able to extend him simultaneously. I don't know if that's a possibility right now.

I actually don't think that's allowed. Franchised players aren't allowed to negotiate new deals after the deadline, right? So even if he theoretically wanted to simultaneously agree to an extension, he couldn't sign one until the offseason, and obviously a ton can change in that time.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 25, 2019

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

This is a great article to be written about you if you're a 3rd round pick lol.

Thanks Macc!

Meh, I thought the Polite pick was fine, and a smart risk to take given the team's needs. Plenty of screw-ups to hang on Macc, but I don't think that was one of them. No denying Polite has been awful in the preseason, though. I'd be surprised if he didn't make the team.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

If the Dolphins traded their franchise LT for one year of Clowney in the middle of a tank I might actually faint from laughing so hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Ehud posted:

I have this theory that fans of bad teams are generally more knowledgeable about football.