Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

lol so I was curious, and since 1970, David Carr and his 267 sacks is 60th. But it's worth mentioning that he got 249 of them in 76 games with the Texans. The next QB on the list with less games started (Carr started 79 total games) is Josh McCown whose all the way down at 83rd with 235 sacks.

Carr's brain is mush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I get starting Fitz over Rosen. Let Fitz go out, do what he does, and when he starts sucking you can put Rosen back in. Otherwise every time Rosen has a bad outing you'll just hear the never ending calls for Fitz to play. Once Fitz flames out, no one wants him back in.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Look, if Kotite was trying to cheer a 1-8 team on to an 8 game winning streak to maybe make the playoffs, I can't hold a grudge against a coach arguing that they aren't tanking before the season even starts.

Ray Mickens posted:

“We had circled Arizona on the calendar as a team we could definitely beat to get our first win,’’ Mickens said. “So we go there and win and we partied on the plane all the way home and when we got back to New York, Kotite got up in front of us Monday morning and said, ‘Guys, we’re still in this thing.’

“I remember everyone looking around at each other and laughing,’’ Mickens said. “It was hysterical.’’

Marvin Jones posted:

“At some point you have to be real and not pretend like everything is OK, because it’s not,’’ Jones said. “I can remember when Kotite would say, ‘OK, in a few weeks we’ll get everybody back from injuries and we can make a run.’ We’re like, ‘What? We’re [expletive] 1-8.’ People would say, ‘You’re the best 1-8 team in the league,’ but you know what, you’re 1-8 and you have to be real and say, ‘Hey, we’re not a very good team.’

Looking at the box score from that game too, I remember watching it but I must have erased all memory of it. Frank Reich was QB'ing the Jets, and was outplayed by Kent freaking Graham. The only reason they even won is because Adrian Murrell had the best game of his career, almost breaking 200 yards.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

People in this thread wishing for serious injuries is why their teams will continue to eat poo poo until the sun swallows the Earth.

I was watching when Bledsoe got hurt, I was so happy jumping around the room yelling gently caress Belichek, cause clearly the teams going to go winless the rest of the season and that rear end in a top hat will be fired.

I hate so many aspects of my life. I also yelled at some Boston Red Sox fans about Ruth's Curse while driving up 95, right before the Sox came back from the 3-0 hole.

I try not to care about sports anymore.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Ehud posted:

This dolphins team might go down as one of the worst in NFL history

They will still beat the future Super Bowl Champions Patriots once this season.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

mcmagic posted:

4-0 in turnovers and only up by 6 LOL.

Jets are probably losing this game.

Hey McMagic, do the Jets still have the best (or deepest, whatever you said) Receiving core in the AFCE?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

mcmagic posted:

This seems to be based on your wishful thinking that Allen learns how to throw the ball to league avg and that Darnold’s last 4 games last season and entire offseason was a fluke and he’s really the guy he was before the injury and even if that happens I don’t think it’s arguable that the Jets improved their team more over the offseason than the Bills did.

mcmagic posted:

Gase is a mediocre coach but a lot of the reasons the Jets might be good this year have nothing to do with him. The talent level is objectively a lot better and it's not uncommon for rookie QB's to take a big step forward from year 1 to year 2.

Sean McDermott isn't loving Vince Lombardi....

You know the Jets got one of the 5 best offensive players in the NFL this offseason, right?

mcmagic posted:

What specifically am I saying that is delusional? That the Jets could win 10 games? I mean it's definitely possible that Gase could blow up the team but the Jets also won 10 games with Todd Bowles who is also a terrible coach because they had great QB play and a bunch of good weapons...

mcmagic posted:

The Jets have easily the best group of skill players in the division and it's not very close. You are the delusional one if you dispute this.

mcmagic posted:

I said over and over that i didn't want Gase. That being said, I also said multiple times that he's probably an upgrade for the Jets at HC from Bowles and that I was very happy with the hire of Williams on D. Those things can all be true!

mcmagic posted:

If i said that it was dumb (I'm sure I did because you seem to study my old posts like the Torah and I trust that you're right). Bowles was a horrific coach and Gase will definitely be an upgrade over him.

mcmagic posted:

Basically everyone making GBS threads on the Jets in this thread is just taking the assumption that Gase is pretty much the worse coach in the league for granted white ignoring your own coach's awfulness.

mcmagic posted:

I don't know why it's this given that Gase is worse than Sean McDermott who has a worse winning % than he does and who thought it was a good idea start Nathan Peterman in an NFL game.

mcmagic posted:

I'm much more nervous about the Jets losing their starting ILB for the season and having no CB's or Kicker. Trust me.

mcmagic posted:

Thinking about it, everything that people are making GBS threads on Gase for is actually more true of Mike Tomlin than it is about Gase lol. Mike Tomlin sucks.

mcmagic posted:

I think Tomlin is one of the worst coaches in the NFL and does less with more than pretty much any other coach in the NFL so me saying he's worse than Gase isn't really me pumping Gase. Get back to me when Gase pisses away season after season with hall of fame talent all over the field.

mcmagic posted:

I agree with you that the Bills' D will be better than the Jets' D this year but it's 2019 and you need to throw the ball to score points and win and the Jets are going to do that alot better than the Bills are.

mcmagic posted:

I’m not sure what this is supposed to prove. Nothing I’m saying here is unreasonable whatsoever.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk

syzpid fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 10, 2019

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
last year the two times I was like "Definitely watching this game cause at least the Jets will win" Was the Browns game and the Bills game with Matt Barkley. That loss to the Bills is one of the most mind boggling losses I've ever seen them take. Bowles should have never gotten a chance to be a DC again after giving up a game like that to someone coming off the street.

Pretty much I've given up expecting them to win.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
God that Beckham catch. Didn't realize it was him they were throwing to and my first thought was "He's never catching that"

loving Giants trading Beckham.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I truthfully don't remember the last time the Jets were down to their 3rd String QB? I feel like maybe 2004 when Quincy Carter got hurt during a game and Bollinger got some time?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I somehow forgot the 2016 season, Fitz got benched for Smith, and Smith almost immediately gets hurt so they gave a few starts to Bryce Petty.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Do the Steelers think they are going to be good this season?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

torgeaux posted:

Gase gased the Gase out of that. Good passes downfield, positive yards, needs a first down on 4th and 2, throws the ball -7 yards and gets a net 1.5.

Bell has 6 receptions and 17 runs, and Gase is acting like anyone isn't going to put a spy on Bell coming out of the backfield. It's crazy.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
It seems pretty possible the Dolphins could end up with the first and second overall picks. If Rudolph ends up not being a savoir or if Watson goes down with an injury. The last time that happened was the 92 draft, which is considered one of the worst drafts in league history and didn't produce a single HoF'er.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Kalli posted:

I'd love to see a combined score in the 30's that was entirely off of defensive scoring.

It'll end like the Waterboy, with both teams refusing to play offense cause it gives the other team a better chance to score. Dueling kneeldowns.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I don't know if I said this before, but I love all my fellow Jets fans defending Gase, because of the injuries, while ignoring that Luke Falk was a guy Gase specifically brought up here from Miami

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1175823439732645888

syzpid fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 22, 2019

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I just checked who the Jets signed to backup Falk, and it's David Fales. Another leftover from Gase's stint in Miami who couldn't beat out Jeff Driskell (who?) or David Blough (who?) to earn a spot on the Lions.

I guess Gase's system is so brilliant, that it's impossible to bring in anyone else. Hell I'd rather see Josh Johnson out there.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Over 3 games, the Jets have had 43 Third Downs. The average yards to go on 3rd for them is 9.6 yards. They average 3.7 yards on 3rd down, and have converted just 11 First downs for a 25.6% success rate. 23 of their third downs have been 9 or more yards to go, and they have only converted on two of those, both of them Sam Darnold passes.

For comparison, last year they had 215 Third Downs. The average yards to go on 3rd was 7.6. They averaged 4.8 yards on 3rd and and converted 71 of them for a 33% success rate. They had 91 third downs of 9 or more yards, converting 20.9% of them and averaging 5.4 yards on those downs.

Who thought that Adam Gase could somehow be worse then Bowles? At least when they fire Gase they'll fire Williams too.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

OxySnake posted:

Wow that insane that their average 3rd down distance is 9.6 yards when they have LeVeon Bell to run with.

Wait nvm

I was curious and checked, the Jets have had 69 first downs, and have rushed with Bell on 33 of them. He's gotten 107 yards (3.24 average) and he has gotten 2 first downs. They have also thrown to Bell on first 5 times (all caught) for a total of 38 yards and 2 converted first downs. Bell has gotten 4 of the Jets 36 total first downs by himself on first down.

The problem is that it's Bell and no one else. Out of 55 second down plays, the Jets have used Bell on 23 of them. He's got 45 yards on 6 receptions (7 targets) and 52 yards on 16 attempts (3.25 average) along with 3 rushing first downs and 2 receiving first downs.

So there's basically no reason for a team not to stack the box and put a spy on Bell. Even with that he's still the best player on the offense. Which is funny for someone that Gase didn't want. I can't imagine how bad the team would be without him.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Crabtree was released by the Cardinals. Would probably be a great pickup for the Jets. So I expect them not to get him.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

I dont get why teams are so unwilling to hire 1st time coaches and prefer sub .500 nut bags with pedigree

I feel like it isn't too often that a coach with a losing record with a team immediately gets a new HC gig without spending any time as an OC or DC. Maybe the last one was Mangini? Even Chip Kelly had a winning record when the 49ers hired him after the Eagles dumped him.

Truthfully Gase has a job because the Johnsons are such morons they'll hire someone on Peyton Mannings word.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Professor Funk posted:

Doesn’t sound great re: Darnold coming back week 5. Even if his spleen is fine, not sure it makes sense to force him to play 4 quarters of NFL football after just being able to do steady state cardio on a stationary bike and no conditioning. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/1178314463981838336?s=21

It's too bad the Jets don't have a week with nothing to do and could bring in a semi-comptent QB and get him prepared with the first team offense for the next game. If Darnold isn't ready are they really going to go with Falk again?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I feel like going into a game with Luke Falk being the only healthy QB is not the best decision from wonderkid Joe Douglas.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Professor Funk posted:

Apparently Darnold is practicing today and they have “until Sunday” to decide whether he’s going to play. Sounds like they’re cautiously optimistic, but it’s obviously not ideal given Falk will need reps if he’s going to start. Also he’s not even lifting yet, so seems like no matter what playing him is pushing it.

https://twitter.com/connor_j_hughes/status/1179412270499221505?s=21

I understand the desperation for Gase to rush him back, but I really hope someone keeps them from playing him Sunday. He's the best hope for the future the team has, and this is already a lost season.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I didn't realize Siemian was done for the season. I find it weird that they didn't bring in anyone to work out. I mean I'd rather have Brock Osweiler then Luke Falk, and Brock had one of his best seasons since his starts with the Broncos last year and that was under Gase. Plus with Siemian down, they could really use an actual QB with some experience even when Darnold comes back.

I really hope Gase doesn't get to use the "QB injuries" excuse to get another season. He's mishandled so much about the team in such a short amount of time it's amazing. He's making Kotite seem competent.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Professor Funk posted:

He’s going to get a hall pass this season. It’s also not totally impossible that the Jets manage to finish 7-9 or 6-10 or something given how easy their final 10 games are, which, while bad, will still be construed as improvement.

I get that Gase doesn’t have a lot to work with at the moment, but he also doesn’t do things that are baseline requirements for running a competent offense in TYOOL 2019. He doesn’t throw on first down. He doesn’t line up his RBs outside of the backfield. He doesn’t use play action. You don’t need Darnold out there to do these things. It’s infuriating. He’s awful.

I'd really be surprised if they won more then 3 or 4 games. They'll probably split the Dolphins games, beat the Bengals and Redskins and that's as far as I'm willing to go giving them wins.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
wow 150 posts, what did I miss?

Oh, it's mcmagic back, so nothing important.

I still stand by my statement that despite LOL Brock Osweiler, he played last season under Gase and is a UFA currently. He's easily better then Falk, and plus the Jets need a veteran backup with Siemian down. His last two contracts were less then a million, so it's not like he's going to price himself out of a job. Outside of Kaep he's the best UFA on the market right now.

The fact that they didn't even bring anyone in to work them out during the bye week means that Gase stuck his head in the sand, refused to believe that Darnold might not start this week, and then was shocked when he wasn't cleared.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Diva Cupcake posted:

Brock is clearly an enormous rear end in a top hat who no one wants to be around, including the players and coaches he’s previously worked with. He’s had one free agent visit since his Dolphins experiment and the Colts noped out of that.

That’s generally not the type you introduce to your QB room when your entire purpose in roster building is to help Darnold.

Truthfully I had no idea about that, I don't remember reading or seeing anything negative about his attitude. But the last time I read anything about him was during his training camp with the Browns and he sounded like he was just happy to be there. Oh well, if he's a shitlord we still could have signed him for a week or two and let him go.

TheBizzness posted:

For the love of god why won’t we sign Brock Osweiler: The Adam Gase Experience

This is beautiful

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Fitzmagic to Fitztragic in 2 plays. It's beautiful

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

WalletBeef posted:

What is wrong with the Jets?

Adam Gase.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Why do I even watch any Patriots games, let alone when the Jets play them. Absolutely insufferable.

Darnold might be good, but Gase is so bad it doesn't matter. The fact that he brought in a lot of the same coaches who failed in Florida, makes it even worse. This has to be a one and done season for Gase, because everything looks so bad on the offense. I feel bad for Bell, his stats look like poo poo but it's cause the team and the offense is awful.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
This is an offensive playbook that is so complicated, Gase could only bring in QBs he's worked with before to run it.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

torgeaux posted:

His spirit is already crushed. Who is the backup now? I know you guys cut your former backup.

David Fales

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

mcmagic posted:

I hope Chris Johnson is enjoying getting embarrassed at home and openly laughed at. Again.

LOL if you think either Johnson even cares about this team. All they care about is that their investment is making them money. The Jets haven't even made the playoffs in almost a decade, but none of it matters because as Washington can show you NFL teams will make money no matter what.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

mcmagic posted:

They were both born with more money than they can even spend. The reason you buy an NFL team is cause you want to win. They care. They just are utterly clueless morons who don't have the slightest clue of how to run an organization.

As soon as they traded away Revis instead of paying him, I knew they were shitheads. They want to spend just enough to be competitive and make money off the team. They are more likely to do anything about the team if they think it will hit their bottom line at all.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Bell seems cool but he basically is making the case against paying him because as awesome as he is, his impact on improving the Jets is basically 0. I do heap piles of blame on Gase, but the steelers aren't missing out on anything

I don't know how you figure this? If I'm the Steelers, and the choice is between an aging Big Ben or Bell, you have to take Bell. Bell's stats for the Jets aren't great, but he's the only weapon and he spent 3 games with no QB, so teams were just loading the box against him or setting a spy on him. He's doing about as well as Connor is in Pittsburgh except in receiving yards. Now I know the Jets have the best skill group in the AFC East, but I think Bell would still be able to put up much better numbers in Pittsburgh.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Democrazy posted:

You know what we never talk about? The Jets hired a guy who was the ringleader of a bounty system to run their defense, and that person’s defense got shredded last night.

I hate Gregg Williams, but the offense had the ball for under 3 minutes in the first quarter. The offense had 3 turnovers and a 3 and out on their first four possessions. Although the Pats really didn't need to score after the first quarter, the defense still held them to 2 TDs the rest of the way.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

mcmagic posted:

I've yet to see him run a good player out of town at either one of his stops.

Jay Ajayi?!?!?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

mcmagic posted:

How many more than Bell?

That isn't even the point. The point is that Ajayi didn't do anything after Gase dumped him that would make Gase look bad.

I live in the Philly burbs, and he looked really great for the Eagles when he was healthy. He went from a 3.4 y/a with Gase in Miami to 5.8 y/a after being traded to Philly. Gase didn't dump him because he was a bum, he dumped him cause he wasn't an Adam Gase guy. You can't argue "Thank god we traded that guy" just because he got hurt.

It's like Steelers fans being happy they got rid of Brown because of the sexual assault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Professor Funk posted:

I legitimately don’t know what would justify not firing Gase immediately after this game. gently caress this poo poo rear end franchise.

I don't think the Johnsons have fired anyone who had multiple years left on their contract? I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised.

But yea, this was a Jets team that was "Fired up" for revenge against the Jags, and they've looked like utter poo poo.