Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/jeffphowe/status/1156606454679425025

Get on this Douglas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

I'd trade a 3rd, maybe a 2nd.

It's definitely worth a 3 to block the loving Patriots.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Catfish Noodlin posted:

There's something to be said for getting a veteran player who can help Bradford with the blocking scheme, but that's a lot of money to be paying for a guy who isn't very good anymore. Even on a one-year deal that's a significant amount of money you're not rolling over to next year.

Rollover cap room is such funny money. I can't bring myself to care that much about it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kalli posted:

Winning 9 games and looking competent would do more for the Jets' cap space then rollover money anyway.

Not having to pay $1.50 on the dollar for free agents because they think you're a loser trainwreck is incredibly valuable.
That and Sam playing well and it can't hurt to have him around Kalil.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BTW the Kalil deal is a MAX of 8.4mm. It's very heavily incentive laden.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

WalletBeef posted:

Things you'll see this year from Buffalo:
1. A head scratcher loss to a Fitz led Dolphins.
2. Sadness.

3 A bullshit win against the Jets.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN/status/1157089909259296768

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

fsif posted:

Why does Adam Gase continue to look weirder every time I see him?

https://twitter.com/snyjets/status/1157314361423290370?s=20

He looks more normal with the beard and hat pulled down than he did at his presser when he was hired.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

What is the Bills best saying about Allen this TC?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This is a dude who looks like he's enjoying himself.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This is a guy who has been a starter in the past but with some injury history.... Seems like a good way to gamble with a 7th since their depth is so bad.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Trenton Cannon as a punt returner isn't going to work out. Also it's still weird to me that the Jets got cheap over a few hundred K with both Roberts and Myers who were really good last year... But that was the old regime.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you don't think that every snap Fitz takes for the Dolphins this year over Rosen is a complete waste of everyone's time, you're wrong.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Catfish Noodlin posted:

https://twitter.com/KSTiLLS/status/1159112932996857856

Kenny Stills is good and cool, and has called out the Dolphins owner over having a fundraiser for the President while trying to be the anti-racism initiative guy.

Stephen Ross is of course an extremely dumb guy and has found someone to defend him by essentially acknowledging that Stephen Ross thinks the President is racist but he's willing to tolerate it:

https://twitter.com/Safid_Deen/status/1159136243990634496

LOL @ thinking this is anywhere loving close to good enough. Kenny Stills should be applauded. The tweet was brave.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 7, 2019

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/1159227535592439809/photo/1

Kind of annoying that I have to like the Dolphins now.... At least several Dolphin players.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Pubically shaming Trump supporters, especially billionaire Trump supporters, is good. Doing vile poo poo should come with a social cost in a society.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

SoulCycle's core demo is like 30ish upper middle class women which are one of the groups that hate Trump the most. A boycott could do them a lot of damage. Hopefully it does.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

Equinox is the bougiest gym possible. It's all over New York and Boston.

We all know how much women in their 30s living in NY or Boston are into Trump.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

Darnold did his thing. That was cool. Jets CBs are very, very bad.

Also wild man Gase taking loving smelling salts before a preseason game makes me begrudgingly like him. I know this is a bad opinion and I do not care.

I liked the design on a lot of the plays in that first drive. Easy throws.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Jets better get their kicker situation worked out. That can completely ruin a season.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Matt Bryant is about 98 years old but didn't miss a FG under 50 Yd last year and he's available.

Edit: Should also note that the new uni's looked really good last night. I'm a big fan.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 9, 2019

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Above are all the reasons the Jets should sign Matt Bryant.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

So this is the guy the Jets tried to trade up for and couldn't....

https://twitter.com/brgridiron/status/1160354819107774466

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's a kicker so who the hell knows but I would've tried Bryant.... I feel like his floor is a lot higher than some rando off the street.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

Myers was trash the year before with the Jags. What makes you thinking kicking at 90% is now his norm?

The vast majority of kickers are very replaceable and outside of 3-4 guys they generally have large swings in kicking percentage year to year.

They probably could've done better at the start of camp than Catanzaro though. He was awful last year.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Agree with not giving up a 5th for a kicker. That is dumb.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I forgot the Vikings had Dan Bailey. Jets could take a flyer on him when he's cut for the guy they just traded for...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

Jets cornerback group is going to be awful this year even without the potential injury to Trumaine.

They have to make a trade. They can't go into the season with this group.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

Are you giving up a 1st or 2nd for Trae Waynes or something? Not a lot available.

I would rather make a trade where you give up too much than basically destroy the season before it starts....

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

fsif posted:

The season should be all about developing Darnold anyway. The Jets are missing too many pieces to make a serious run.

If you're going to overpay for a veteran, make it a lineman.

I don't think of this as a rebuilding season at all, that was last year. This should be a playoff caliber offense that could make a decent run at it if they don't have the worst secondary play in the NFL.

Diva Cupcake posted:

I agree. If I’m giving up a 2nd rounder I’d rather it be for Trent Williams than a corner.

That said, don’t give up a 2nd please.

What about for Ramsey?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 12, 2019

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

My thinking is that the difference between 10 wins and 7 wins in the NFL isn't that much. Why not go for it?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

Other than him wanting massive money is there any indication the Jags want to trade Ramsey? He’d cost at least a 1st and I could probably justify that cost if you get him long term.

No idea, just proposing a hypothetical. I do think there will be good players traded this training camp though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Saints and Eagles aren't in the AFC East or even the AFC. I don't know why they are relevant.... Are the Jets are good as those teams? Of course not. But it's a red herring.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I'm in no way convinced that the Jets are any worse than the Colts, who they beat last year, or the Steelers.... And I said if they had a chance to win 10 games, not make the super bowl.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

fsif posted:

I'll bite. The Jets are clearly worse than the Colts and the Steelers.

Their blue chip players are at the most fungible positions. They have no depth. As units, their secondary, linebacking corps, and offensive line are well below average. Their receivers are good, not great. Darnold's rookie season was middling. They had four wins last year. Adam Gase is their coach.

Ok. The season will play out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

fsif posted:

Well yeah I don't think saying Buffalo is the better team is really that controversial.

This seems to be based on your wishful thinking that Allen learns how to throw the ball to league avg and that Darnold’s last 4 games last season and entire offseason was a fluke and he’s really the guy he was before the injury and even if that happens I don’t think it’s arguable that the Jets improved their team more over the offseason than the Bills did.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ehud posted:

mcmagic went from saying Gase was one of the worst possible hires that would set the franchise back years to believing the Jets can make the playoffs in his first year

He’s a very dedicated fan and I appreciate it

Gase is a mediocre coach but a lot of the reasons the Jets might be good this year have nothing to do with him. The talent level is objectively a lot better and it's not uncommon for rookie QB's to take a big step forward from year 1 to year 2.

Amy Pole Her posted:

You’ve got Gase tho

Sean McDermott isn't loving Vince Lombardi....

Amy Pole Her posted:

Darnold gonna slaughter those 3rd and 9s with execution

You know the Jets got one of the 5 best offensive players in the NFL this offseason, right?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Bills were sitting on negative talent at WR and Oline and added positive talent. If Allen can keep up his .500 ball from last year an improved supporting cast and strong defense puts them above the jets even if he’s not as good as Darnold

This is a bullshit way to try to win in the NFL in 2019. It's not that kind of league anymore. It's why the Bills and Ravens are both hosed.

A sports fan said something hyperbolic on the internet. Maybe Gase can loan you some smelling salts.... Want me to apologize or something? I didn't support hiring Gase and I just said he was a mediocre coach. What more do you want from me?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 13, 2019

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Metapod posted:

I admire that after all these years mcmagic still has faith that something hilariously bad wouldn't happen to the jets if they made a move to make the playoffs this year

I have seen the Jets play in 3 AFC Championship games, 2 of them in person. The Jets haven't been as pathetic as say, the Bills or Dolphins.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

torgeaux posted:

When they fired Shula for Johnson, I said I was done. Instead, I just hate watched him fail. Stephen Ross is a loving racist enabling mother-fucker (I know, billionaire, duh) and I'll boycott every other product, but I'm in with the fins for life.

McMagic is delusional in a way we all have to recognize. But, McMagic, you are grossly underestimating how much a bad coach can screw your team. Gase has a hard cap on how good his teams can be. Your QB may be all you think he is, but throwing 2 yard outs is not going to turn him into who he could be.

What specifically am I saying that is delusional? That the Jets could win 10 games? I mean it's definitely possible that Gase could blow up the team but the Jets also won 10 games with Todd Bowles who is also a terrible coach because they had great QB play and a bunch of good weapons...

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 13, 2019