Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Saints and Eagles aren't in the AFC East or even the AFC. I don't know why they are relevant.... Are the Jets are good as those teams? Of course not. But it's a red herring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Who's the guy who posts the rules about tweeting at him at the beginning of training camp, Omar or Armando?

Omar lol

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

mcmagic posted:

The Saints and Eagles aren't in the AFC East or even the AFC. I don't know why they are relevant.... Are the Jets are good as those teams? Of course not. But it's a red herring.

I'm comparing what a good team that's set to make a deep playoff run looks like vs. what the Jets look like. It's not that complicated and should help you realize that the Jets are not remotely ready to push for a super bowl due to the massive difference between the two.

Most of what I wrote there also applies to the Steelers, the Patriots, the Colts, Chiefs, Chargers etc. etc. if you really need AFC teams. Teams that are legitimately in a spot where they can push for super bowls

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm in no way convinced that the Jets are any worse than the Colts, who they beat last year, or the Steelers.... And I said if they had a chance to win 10 games, not make the super bowl.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Who's the guy who posts the rules about tweeting at him at the beginning of training camp, Omar or Armando?

Omar

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

mcmagic posted:

I'm in no way convinced that the Jets are any worse than the Colts, who they beat last year, or the Steelers.... And I said if they had a chance to win 10 games, not make the super bowl.

Ah, you somewhat disagree with a single one of my five examples, thus rendering my point moot.

What are you aiming for, the trophy you get when a team wins ten games? First of all that doesn't exist, second of all they could win ten games as is. The question was whether draft picks should be given up for starters in the short term, I think not because the team isn't close to competing for a super bowl which, after all, is really the only goal. Taking on a bunch of pricey contracts and spending picks on players is usually for teams that are much closer to that level of competing for a super bowl.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I'll bite. The Jets are clearly worse than the Colts and the Steelers.

Their blue chip players are at the most fungible positions. They have no depth. As units, their secondary, linebacking corps, and offensive line are well below average. Their receivers are good, not great. Darnold's rookie season was middling. They had four wins last year. Adam Gase is their coach.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

fsif posted:

I'll bite. The Jets are clearly worse than the Colts and the Steelers.

Their blue chip players are at the most fungible positions. They have no depth. As units, their secondary, linebacking corps, and offensive line are well below average. Their receivers are good, not great. Darnold's rookie season was middling. They had four wins last year. Adam Gase is their coach.

Ok. The season will play out.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Checkmate.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Pats>Bills>Jets>Fins

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I dunno about Jets vs Colts. Colts seem very questionable to me, especially since it's not at all clear that Luck is actually alive and not shambling through another Weekend at Irsay's situation. If Darnold takes a step forward, and Bell is Bell, they should be decent. And their ceiling is the (unthinkable!) "Pats are finally Too Old To Rock, average player age of 69 bites them in the rear end" and winning the division, because well is anyone ranking Buffalo or Miami above them?

Fake edit: turns out yes, Jonathan Fisk will go there :respek:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Well yeah I don't think saying Buffalo is the better team is really that controversial.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

fsif posted:

Well yeah I don't think saying Buffalo is the better team is really that controversial.

This seems to be based on your wishful thinking that Allen learns how to throw the ball to league avg and that Darnold’s last 4 games last season and entire offseason was a fluke and he’s really the guy he was before the injury and even if that happens I don’t think it’s arguable that the Jets improved their team more over the offseason than the Bills did.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
If Sam Darnold is good, the Jets will contend for a playoff spot

If Sam Darnold is bad, the Jets will not contend for a playoff spot

I think they should let the season play out and see if one of those two scenarios plays out, then start (or don't start) trading away picks for established starters.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 13, 2019

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Bills were sitting on negative talent at WR and Oline and added positive talent. If Allen can keep up his .500 ball from last year an improved supporting cast and strong defense puts them above the jets even if he’s not as good as Darnold

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Professor Funk posted:

If Sam Darnold is good, the Jets will contend for a playoff spot

If Sam Darnold is bad, the Jets will not contend for a playoff spot

I think they should let the season play out and see if one of those two scenarios plays out, then start (or don't start) trading away picks for established starters.

What if he’s both?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

mcmagic posted:

This seems to be based on your wishful thinking that Allen learns how to throw the ball to league avg and that Darnold’s last 4 games last season and entire offseason was a fluke and he’s really the guy he was before the injury and even if that happens I don’t think it’s arguable that the Jets improved their team more over the offseason than the Bills did.

You’ve got Gase tho

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

mcmagic went from saying Gase was one of the worst possible hires that would set the franchise back years to believing the Jets can make the playoffs in his first year

He’s a very dedicated fan and I appreciate it

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Darnold gonna slaughter those 3rd and 9s with execution

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Lance Zierlein and some Houston sport radio guy are saying the Texans had worked out a trade with the Dolphins for Clowney but it was called off when he wouldn't sign sign a long term deal with them.

https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/1161240662110539781
The Dolphins should probably not be spending high value draft assets on top of the market guys either.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ehud posted:

mcmagic went from saying Gase was one of the worst possible hires that would set the franchise back years to believing the Jets can make the playoffs in his first year

Gase is a mediocre coach but a lot of the reasons the Jets might be good this year have nothing to do with him. The talent level is objectively a lot better and it's not uncommon for rookie QB's to take a big step forward from year 1 to year 2.

Amy Pole Her posted:

You’ve got Gase tho

Sean McDermott isn't loving Vince Lombardi....

Amy Pole Her posted:

Darnold gonna slaughter those 3rd and 9s with execution

You know the Jets got one of the 5 best offensive players in the NFL this offseason, right?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Diva Cupcake posted:

Lance Zierlein and some Houston sport radio guy are saying the Texans had worked out a trade with the Dolphins for Clowney but it was called off when he wouldn't sign sign a long term deal with them.

https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/1161240662110539781
The Dolphins should probably not be spending high value draft assets on top of the market guys either.

Yeah that seems extremely wierd unless they're fire saleing him

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
How bad are his knees?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

But also I don’t think Clowney can even sign a long term deal at this point so it might be bullshit.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

mcmagic posted:

Gase is a mediocre coach but a lot of the reasons the Jets might be good this year have nothing to do with him. The talent level is objectively a lot better and it's not uncommon for rookie QB's to take a big step forward from year 1 to year 2.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Bills were sitting on negative talent at WR and Oline and added positive talent. If Allen can keep up his .500 ball from last year an improved supporting cast and strong defense puts them above the jets even if he’s not as good as Darnold

This is a bullshit way to try to win in the NFL in 2019. It's not that kind of league anymore. It's why the Bills and Ravens are both hosed.

A sports fan said something hyperbolic on the internet. Maybe Gase can loan you some smelling salts.... Want me to apologize or something? I didn't support hiring Gase and I just said he was a mediocre coach. What more do you want from me?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 13, 2019

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I admire that after all these years mcmagic still has faith that something hilariously bad wouldn't happen to the jets if they made a move to make the playoffs this year

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

mcmagic posted:

A sports fan said something hyperbolic on the internet. Maybe Gase can loan you some smelling salts.... Want me to apologize or something? I didn't support hiring Gase and I just said he was a mediocre coach. What more do you want from me?

lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Metapod posted:

I admire that after all these years mcmagic still has faith that something hilariously bad wouldn't happen to the jets if they made a move to make the playoffs this year

I have seen the Jets play in 3 AFC Championship games, 2 of them in person. The Jets haven't been as pathetic as say, the Bills or Dolphins.....

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ehud posted:

He's the best poster on these forums for that reason. His optimism is inspiring

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I miss the Rex Ryan years with the Jets. Win or lose, it was must-see tv

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Getting pretty excited to post "what a bullshit way to try to win in the NFL in 2019" after every rushing TD this year.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
When they fired Shula for Johnson, I said I was done. Instead, I just hate watched him fail. Stephen Ross is a loving racist enabling mother-fucker (I know, billionaire, duh) and I'll boycott every other product, but I'm in with the fins for life.

McMagic is delusional in a way we all have to recognize. But, McMagic, you are grossly underestimating how much a bad coach can screw your team. Gase has a hard cap on how good his teams can be. Your QB may be all you think he is, but throwing 2 yard outs is not going to turn him into who he could be.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

torgeaux posted:

When they fired Shula for Johnson, I said I was done. Instead, I just hate watched him fail. Stephen Ross is a loving racist enabling mother-fucker (I know, billionaire, duh) and I'll boycott every other product, but I'm in with the fins for life.

McMagic is delusional in a way we all have to recognize. But, McMagic, you are grossly underestimating how much a bad coach can screw your team. Gase has a hard cap on how good his teams can be. Your QB may be all you think he is, but throwing 2 yard outs is not going to turn him into who he could be.

What specifically am I saying that is delusional? That the Jets could win 10 games? I mean it's definitely possible that Gase could blow up the team but the Jets also won 10 games with Todd Bowles who is also a terrible coach because they had great QB play and a bunch of good weapons...

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 13, 2019

Nov 6, 2002

The Jets do not have a bunch of good weapons on offense. They have one great back - assuming he goes back to form and can avoid getting suspended/injured - and a bunch of young receivers who have not really proven anything yet.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The Jets do not have a bunch of good weapons on offense. They have one great back - assuming he goes back to form and can avoid getting suspended/injured - and a bunch of young receivers who have not really proven anything yet.

The Jets have easily the best group of skill players in the division and it's not very close. You are the delusional one if you dispute this.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

mcmagic posted:

The Jets have easily the best group of skill players in the division and it's not very close. You are the delusional one if you dispute this.

congrats on your "best group of skill players in the AFC East" banner :smugdog:

Nov 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Quincy Enunwa and Jamison Crowder are not anything special. Robby Anderson is an above average receiver and *might* be heading towards very good, we'll see.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Quincy Enunwa and Jamison Crowder are not anything special. Robby Anderson is an above average receiver and *might* be heading towards very good, we'll see.
This might all be true but what mcmagic said shouldn't be all that controversial unless you're just looking to continuously troll him like Ehud.

Bell, Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder, and Herndon is an above average skill position lineup in the NFL. The depth sucks but the starters are quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Herdon is a rookie who hasn't even seen the field. Your going to tell me he's starting quality? And he's already suspended for four games.