Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Sour Diesel posted:

billick owned until he didn't

Boller pick, 2006 Colts playoff game, and the subsequent collapse in 2007 did him in. I liked hearing him talk about this or that cause he was entertaining. Dunce is so drat boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Haha, I'm watching Ed Reed's speech and he called Billick Belichick!!!!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Sour Diesel posted:

yea that's when it all came down, but i will still always love billick because he kinda injected that personality the team was known fr

He was the perfect guy for the 2000 team. He fit them perfectly. I honestly think we could have been a dynasty on par with the Patriots if he hadn't galaxy-brained himself into that Boller pick. Then who knows, maybe TO comes here and we have Jamal, a solid vet QB, Heap, TO, plus that defense. And I bet he would still be the coach today.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

defaultluser posted:

Not. it was much worse than "just because Boller."

Chris Redman was a complete shitshow.

Elvis Grbac was a complete shittshow.

Kyle Boller was just a shitshow. More functional, but still lovely.

And then McNair was brought to us when he was dying. and Billick still blew his only first-round bye. That was painful to watch!

And that is the story of Billick handling QBs and coaching in the years after his gifted superbowl win (he inherited the team and just rolled with it like Gruden and the Bucs).

If he actually knew how to coach, he would have convinced Dilfer that he was not worth the money he was requesting, and countered that "this team is your only chance for another Superbowl win," and maybe kept the entire offense intact. And if he had refused, a good coach would have lined up someone better than Elvis.

Instead, it became a revolving door at QB. Flacco is the greatest QB selected yet in Ravens history, and that was done by his successor.

Redman was ok but couldn't start due to recurring back issues. Grbac was not a "complete shitshow", he was a solid starter in a terrible situation with a trash pass blocking line but forced to be a passing team due to Jamal Lewis injury. Keeping Dilfer was a terrible idea because he was a bad QB who had to just not make bad mistakes. Billick and the front office both understood that we could not win the same way in 2001.

Jeff blake was solid in 2002. Revolving door QB situations happen when you get a first round bust like Boller. Also before Redman's back issues acted up he was the planned QB of the future.

It basically was entirely the Kyle Boller fiasco that got Billick out. He thought he knew QBs better than he actually did and galaxybrained himself. He should have gotten a vet QB like Kerry Collins or Kurt Warner. I know they werent available the same year.

The problem in 2001 wasnt that we "didnt keep the offense together", it was that our best offensive player tore his ACL before the season even started, and also Leon Searcy the guy we got to shore up the right side of the line was physically unable to play anymore. Whoever was playing QB back there was hosed. That we made the playoffs and won a game that year was amazing. With Dilfer that is a 6-10 team. The best two starting QBs available that offseason were Grbac and Johnson. Im not sure how you "line up" someone better than what is available.

Now a good criticism might be thay we should have drafted Drew Brees instead of Todd Heap. But a)the team and fans both saw Chris Redman as future QB. And b) its doubtful Drew Brees would have ever become good here if he didnt fully develop in his time in SD where he had better surroundings. Also Todd Heap was pretty much the only receiver we had worth a crap till we got Mason several years later.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 15, 2019

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Quiet Feet posted:

I just wanted to come in and say hi and let Kawalimus know but I saw a Scarlet Tanager the other day. Now that's probably not a big deal to him but I hadn't seen one of those since I was a kid and I think they're neat.

They're so cool to see. And especially if you know what they sound like. Kind of a scratchy robin sound. And their call note is "CHIP-burrr" But watch out!! In the fall they all pretty much are this pale yellow color. Not scarlet at all!

Migration can't start soon enough. Gotta enjoy this while I can before global warming wipes it all out!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

im trying to do mental math and figure out the least amount of wins each team can possibly get since they all play each other twice and i think it's 12 wins split between them all, so if you count up the remaining 48 games combined and they collectively win like 8...i think you're pretty close

Barring ties as an outcome, I think a team could theoretically win with a record of 3-13. If they all split with each other and lost every other game.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

im glad no one talks about things like the ravens backup tight end camp battle in here tbqh

Not even Ravens fans know which big white TE is which so there's no point! There's the one that always likes to do hurdles. I think that's Boyle.

In other news these drat Yellow-bellied Flycatchers are getting on my nerves!! I can't stand Empids. But a guy yelled at me for not reporting a YBFL to our text group the other day so I can't just ignore em.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 7, 2019

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Cavauro posted:

pbretend like you didn't see them

Funny enough that's what I usually do. But this was an adult YBFL(more obvious than the immature) that landed right in front of me and I had never reported one from the place I was at, so I figured what the hell and gave it a go. This is what they sent me:

"hey,

you should've alert us on a text group right away if you see a rare bird. adding it on ebird later in the day doesnt help to get others to chase it. "

The dumb thing is they're not even that rare really, just uncommon but MDbirding is super dramatic about the ID. I sort of understand it though because lots of inexperienced birders mistake Pewees and especially Acadians for the immature YBFL. Frankly I'm never 100% sure about the immature YBFL myself. But then again the empids just don't interest me that much like I said before. Some people are obsessed with them and study them to absurd lengths and put out these huge writeups on them.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 7, 2019

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Cavauro posted:

Do you ever go to the toilet or urinal and text everyone after seeing your rare bird (genital cock)

I don't play with my phone anywhere near toilets. I just do it right then and there.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Cavauro posted:

The AFC North went 3-1 today. an unstoppable division with a 75% winning percentage. three Out of four is .750

The Ravens lost, didn't they

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

If the Steelers can lose we'll be the only team in the AFCN to win in week 1

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Despera posted:

Ravens show up in Foxborough

Just Saiyan

From 2008-2012 we did. And still usually lost. Now we're just the same as any other team up there. I feel like we haven't played too much in Fox though since then.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Congrats to the Ravens posters whose incredible sophomore QB punished a deliberately tanking Dolphins team that traded away all of it's good players before the season. Way to steamroll that Div II cupcake team, fellas

Jackson wouldnt have done that in the best of circumstances last season. He couldnt even get through a series without messing up the snap at least once or twice. And we played some dumpy teams in that latter part of the season too.

I dont think we'll do that every week and even in this game there were some issues. But what we saw was encouraging.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I bet the Bengals are gonna look back fondly on those Marvin Lewis days.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Jackson is gong to fall apart once he starts playing better teams. The winner of our division will have 7 wins.

This is so stupid. He wouldn't have done what he's done this year against the bad teams last year!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Kawalimus I was channeling you when I made that post. When the Raven get blown out by the Chiefs this week you will be posting three paragraphs about why you think Lamar was never the answer. When the Brown get killed by the Rams I will still be OK because this year the AFCN division winner will squeak into the playoffs and die a quick death.

When the Ravens get blown out by the Chiefs I'll be saying how our secondary is a joke and Earl Thomas doesn't have it anymore and fire Wink Martindale and crap. I'm not going to turn on Jackson for one bad game. I posted this in the other thread. I expect him to have some more struggles this year and still think he's about a year away from getting near his potential. I'll only be worried about him if he has several bad games in a row.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Lamar is going to get hurt if they keep giving him like 16 attempts in order to beat the Cardinals at home

He only even took contact on a couple of them. There's no downside to running around that edge and getting out of bounds. He is REALLY fast around there. The horsecollar was kind of scary though.

Also what is this "the cardinals" crap. They have really good receivers and haven't looked bad since the first half of the first game.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 18, 2019

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The Cardinals are not very good

How do you know? They should have won game 1 in a comeback. They have one of the all-time great receivers and a lot of other good ones and the Ravens have a poo poo secondary with injuries.

Also Jackson had 272 yards passing and 2 touchdowns.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 18, 2019

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

I think the Cards are better then people thought they would be, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit concerned about how that game went overall (other then the winning part).

The biggest problem was our secondary letting guys be wide open combined with WRs making crazy adjustments a bunch of times and making good catches. Jefferson was particularly bad and looked like he was barely trying. Unless we really pull it together back there we don't have a chance on sunday.

Remember last year we really almost beat KC in KC in the regular season, and that was with Jackson playing like he did last year with all the fumbles. But not with this secondary.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I think our best chance of having a good day in the secondary sunday was having a day like we did last week. They know they have to get better. I feel like in the past when I've ragged on them a lot they come out the next week to prove me wrong. Saying this might break the spell. But I don't think so.

And maybe some was Humphrey's fault that we can't assess because of the nature of it. But there was that one play where Fitzgerald was wide open and caught the pass and Jefferson just hardly even tried to tackle him and he got like 15 or more yards after

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Cavauro posted:

The Bengals will win at least one game, and many of the posts here and elsewhere will be saved for crow eating

You'll beat the Ravens at home like usual. And we'll make you guys look like a million bucks also like usual! Then you'll go back to being bad at everything else.

But maybe now that Marvin Lewis is gone that spell is broken. We'll see. It started happening before Marvin went there though in 2001 where the Bengals were the first team to beat the Ravens since october 2000.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Me part of "the clique". HA HA HA!!! I'm an outsider!! But that's ok :)

chamois posted:

he's been doing this for like 7 years man he's fine

This is actually my 10th year posting on TFF. Weirdly the first year I didn't post here much and mostly was still posting about wrestling. I was intimidated by this site someone showed me. But eventually I started making posts. I think the first real big blowup I had was when I left that game early and made the mistake of admitting it here.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Sour Diesel posted:

kawalimus is great and people melt the gently caress down over his football takes

the funny thing is, especially during the flacco years he was correct but just overreacted so people flipped out

the ravens would win games and he'd complain and it's because the wins would be really ugly and that's not a good sign if you wanna make a deep playoff run. but people would freak out and use the word "entitled" because apparently fans of lovely football teams act like victims of war crimes if a fan of a team that plays in january isn't posting allears emojis about their qb or whatever

I think one of the reasons I got so mad in those years particularly, was because I thought we were so talented. Especially once we brought Boldin in. I actually predicted a 14-2 season for us that year. I thought we were going to rip through things and I even remember in week 1 against the Jets(who were also supposed to be good that year) all the Jets fans were saying their team was better than the Ravens. But I said and insisted that our team was much better. And I wasn't wrong. And we won the game too. So I'd get super frustrated when we'd play these ugly as heck games with such a talented team and get so mad at Cameron and then Mattison and then I'd hate Harbaugh for not holding them accountable. And I was never sure about Flacco.

We had Boldin, Mason, Heap, and Houshmandzadeh that year as receiving options. Not to mention Ray Rice in his prime. And we would still struggle to get first downs! It was so, so frustrating to watch as a fan.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Sour Diesel posted:

the real frustrating thing was seeing the offense hum in 2 minute drills when joe would call the offense and slot boldin while having pitta run up the seam, which was a huge indictment that the playcalling was the problem

Yeah that just plays into what I'm saying. It'd drive me nuts. We'd suddenly start looking great right at the end of halves or if we were down by a lot. And it was like...WHY are we not having all these neat playcalls and using these talents the way we should use them? We should be driving teams bananas. We should always have some matchup problem to exploit. So why aren't we???

Oh we also had LeRon McClain who was just about automatic from 3rd and 1. I've heard he's really struggling with brain damage :(

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Cavauro posted:

the combined age of those three WRs was 97, if you want to PM me and just talk.

Housh was the only one who really was past his prime but was still effective and had that big winning catch against the Steelers. Mason was still very good. And Boldin was right in his prime. Heap was still a major matchup problem and had an awesome diving catch in week 1 against the Jets. He could still make plays. But Cameron insisted that Heap should be primarily used as a blocker. Even though he was never really even good at that.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Cavauro posted:

You should have listened and sent me a PM. should have listened.

but i didn't want to just talk! I wanna go off on a ramble :) and remember all these old games. The good and the bad.

I saw a youtube video of when the Ravens lost 25-0 to the Bucs in 2002. it was iinteresting to watch. I was kinda surprised the Ravens released it. I was at that game too. It was right after Johnny Unitas died and my dad was like "Johnny U will bless Chris Redman from heaven!" and the Bucs proceeded to chew him up.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 23, 2019

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Sour Diesel posted:

i would love to Just Talk with you kawalimus you are my friend and wonderful to talk to because you are my friend

I don't Just Talk very well sadly. But I can ramble. So that's what I do.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Mystic Stylez posted:

Kawalimus please get your dad a forum's account

He'd never post on a place like here. Online posting isn't his bag. But he was very dramatic about his sports!! Especially in those days. He had a bad alcohol problem back then too. But he doesn't drink anymore. When we lost to Pittsburgh in 2002 and left the stadium he was just yelling and arguing with random steelers fans.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

We’re on to Baltimore.

,said Art Modell!!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

I always feel guilty when people make me chuckle by punching down.

Oh I'm not punching down. I'm straight up stomping!! :mad:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

He complained that the 2012 superbowl win wasn't the way he wanted them to win the superbowl.

Uh pardon? No I didn't. Produce the quote where I said this? I do remember someone saying as a joke that I would complain so as a response joke I posted a complaint. But if you took that seriously I don't know what to tell you. I've repeatedly said that the win was huge for the franchise and beating the 5-0 49ers was as much as we could have asked for. And it came into my whole coveting the undefeated SB record. I'm sure I had various nitpicks as always but in no way was the win not to my liking.

I remember that evening. I was in the basement at a friends house with a bunch of people watching some football fans some not. I remember feeling so nervous as the 2nd half went on and one of the other people actually had to get up and leave like "kawalimus is right. We're gonna lose this game..". But I stayed. There was this non football fan that kept asking about what a safety was all game so I got so excited before that punt cause I knew Harbaugh was going to take the safety. I was just screaming "OH MY GOD THE SAFETY TAKE THE SAFETY WE ARE GOING TO TAKE THE SAFETY". It was so much fun. Then we had celebratory drinks after. Then my dad called and we talked. It was a great night and tons of fun even though it was stressful so no it wasn't a bad game or memory for me. Not like that drat Bears game!!

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 23, 2019

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I think there's like two things I would nitpick about that game. One is that I hated the dumb FG fake call. I don't mind the idea per se, but we had like 10 yards to go and Patrick Willis was on the field. If either one of those things wasn't true I would have liked it. And #2 I don't like that the whole PI debate thing kind of overshadows Ray Lewis and Ed Reed's last defensive stand on the Ravens. What a way to go out for two hall of famers--on a 4th down stand in the SB!! But all you see is the interference. And not their cool uncharacteristic low-key moment right after.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

consider this: harbs does that to like every garbage team the ravens are blowing out all the time, he did it in the superbowl to his brother while up a lot and thus he was trying to publicly dunk on his brother and their lovely rear end team which is cool and good

Except his brother snuffed it out and those points were very close to being the difference that would have let the 49ers kick on 4th down for the lead rather than go for a pass. It was foolish. Dunk on him when it makes sense to do so.

Just like it was dumb to go for 2 points both times last sunday. It's all balls no brains. Even if you get that first one at the 1, how much of an edge do you really get?

And again, I would have been 100% in favor of calling for the fake, if either there weren't 10 yards to go or Patrick Willis had not been on the field. But both those things being true, you take the 3 points. Also I'm not counting weird butterfly effect type stuff like 'if we hadn't gone for the fake Jacoby wouldn't have gotten the kickoff return'.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 23, 2019

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I just watched the play again. Patrick Willis just immediately sheds the block attempt by Ed Dickson and closes off the sideline. If dickson just buys like an extra half second there Tucker has a first down easily and maybe a TD if lucky. Willis was an all-pro talent that you can't expect your kicker to beat around the edge like that. It's like thinking your RB is magically going to be the one that undoes the 2000 Ravens. It just ain't happening. So don't even try.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

It was 9 yards. But that's close enough to 10.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

The Ravens might be better if their entire secondary was out

Earl Thomas makes me so sad. That's the kind of signing that usually works out so well for us.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Play posted:

Yeah give him a chance, he's still only 30 but recovering from an injury like that is a process. I believe he'll justify his contract sooner than later

I really hope so. I haven't completely given up hope on him but watching him try to run down #31 for the Chiefs with a great angle and #31 almost get by him down the sideline was oof.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Sour Diesel posted:

i'd give him the benefit of the doubt for now, yea the dude almost got by him but almost doesnt pay the bills

That's when he had an easy angle and unless the guy did a good cut inside was gonna get run out of bounds. The idea is that if he's that slow there, imagine how much he's struggling in coverage when you really need that speed at the safety position. He needs to get some of it back or his days in this league are numbered. He's only 30 so we can hope. Even if it's next year. That could even help us. Cause people would be like "oh yeah he's done" and then he comes back and goes wild. And then we make other improvements to the secondary in the offseason and then Jackson is even better. And then next year can be our year if those things go right.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

congrats and welcome to the redskins for being honorary AFCN members for tonight

I wish we were in their division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

I feel like this is a really huge game for both teams. And I really don't have a take on what's gonna happen. My gut tells me the Browns are starting to get it together and will feast on our secondary. But I don't know how true that is. To me my biggest spotlight is on our offense. We know the defense will suck. But the offense while the final numbers didn't look that bad if you watched you could see things were kind of a mess. I feel like if we get our poo poo back together we should be able to win. But that if we don't the Browns can do enough to our woeful defense that they will win. It's a big game. I honestly could go as far as to say this game will determine the likely division winner. Even though it's this early.