Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Wow, so July wasn't super great, huh? It's close enough to August so let's go ahead and get this thing started off on an up note.

I appreciate all of you fine folks here that help to make this one of the best forums on the whole internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I'm due to be married August 15, does that count as helping to keep an up note?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Assuming you're getting married because you really dig that other person and not because you're trying to create some nefarious Australo-Canadian cabal, I'd say yes. Congrats!

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Well this got lost in the depression shuffle of the last thread,
But I'm super loving happy about it so uts getting reposted

ExplodingSims posted:

So, I got an unexpected call from my boss this morning.

The company is growing and things are being shuffled around, and welp, guess I'm the new service manager now. :v:
Comes with a pay raise and the work load will be split between me and the current guy, so it's not too bad.

They said they might have some positions opening up, bt I wasn't expecting it so soon.
Comes with a pay raise too, so that's pretty great.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm seeing Mogwai the week of my birthday, with my GF and my best friend from Dallas. He (friend) is coming down for a couple of days. I should actually have some vacation time at work to burn for this by then too.

The lovely part: I turn 41 this month. :fuckoff:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I take my final exam tomorrow morning which determines if I keep my current engineering rank (and pay). The training material has to be the worst excuse for a photocopied book containing literal PowerPoint slides I’ve ever seen. I’m going in blind, other than passing the last three exams. There’s no self tests or questions and it’s driving me nuts. Wish me luck!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Good luck spyder

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

Good poo poo man, guess that means you won't be coming back to FL any time soon huh :v:

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

ExplodingSims posted:

Give the forum a whacky project thread. You gotta beat v12 Frankenstein tho.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Resting Lich Face posted:

Give the forum a whacky project thread. You gotta beat v12 Frankenstein tho.

Well, I dont know anything about working on diesels, so how bad of an idea is cramming a twin turbo Duramax into a 70yo truck?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

ExplodingSims posted:

Well, I dont know anything about working on diesels, so how bad of an idea is cramming a twin turbo Duramax into a 70yo truck?

That sounds like a great idea.

Please do it.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Good poo poo man, guess that means you won't be coming back to FL any time soon huh :v:

Well, I do have some unfinished business there :v:

But real talk, Oregon has been great.
I hated Vegas as it was, then with my mom dying on top of everything else, I was just miserable. I was ready to move back.

But since moving here? Everything has been so much better. This company I got hired on to here has been amazing, and growing so much. I mean, i got two promotions in less than a year, something must be going right.

And Oregon is just great. There's so much to do. Go to the mountians, go to the beach, go down on the river.
Even just walking around downtown Portland is so much fun. And the weather is amazing. I mean, right now it's hot, but its not unbearable like Florida was.

Also, funnily enough, I meet so many people from Florida here.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

ExplodingSims posted:

wiring and a clean fuel tank. LB7. keep the Allison it's mated with.

it'll probably scare the poo poo out of you the first time that old thing hits 70, if it even can without turning the governor up on the dirtymax due to the low gears of a 70yo truck.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

If you arent on AI Slack channel you seriously missed out today

Major BOFH poo poo going on

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fun article to start the month. Seems Texas Motor Speedway has banned electric cars from its drag strip.

Not for any reason of competition, but because they're not equipped to put out a lithium fire.

quote:

“The reason for the exclusion is, in the event of a crash and possible resulting fire, our emergency vehicles currently do not carry the specific equipment required to suppress EV fires. As I’m sure you’re aware, conventional extinguishers are of no use in fighting a lithium-ion battery fire,” wrote Texas Motor Speedway spokesman David Hart in an email sent to Tesla fan site Teslarati.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Fun article to start the month. Seems Texas Motor Speedway has banned electric cars from its drag strip.

Not for any reason of competition, but because they're not equipped to put out a lithium fire.

There's been a legit shitfight here because a bunch of series have banned EV's for the same reasons.

Had nothing to do with the large and getting larger performance gap between EV's and ICE of course. Like some guy built a Nissan Leaf with some eye watering motor changes that absolutly smashed the gently caress out of anything this side of a purpose built open wheeler. Or the AWD Moke with Tesla motors that is.... JesusfuckingchristIgoneintoablackholeoffear fast.

Nope, nothing to do with that at all. It's safety. Yeah that

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

New chat thread new Scout pics

Fluff shot

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Liquid Communism posted:

Because a track isn't equipped with fire extinguishers, you see.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

To be fair, a lot of places don't have a class D fire extinguisher. And smoke from a lithium ion battery fire is insanely toxic.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

And because no ones ever shown off at a drag strip and punted it into the wall...

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Fermented Tinal posted:

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-s-catches-fire-twice-in-one-day-1831228348

https://jalopnik.com/watch-volunteer-firefighters-in-austria-extinguish-a-fi-1819665352

There's a chance of reignition after the initial fire is put out. I don't know if tracks or cities are equipped to babysit a EV after they catch fire to make sure they don't reignite.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Hi thread

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rolling the dice.

I hate Walmart but they had the tires for my car @ $160/tire, pick-up only, instead of $250-$300/tire everyone else was selling them for.

They deliver to the local store next week. I'm thinking worst case, they cancel the order because their price was wrong? Or they show up damaged, or the wrong tires?

Am I missing a downside here? Also is there anything visual I should look out for before I take them, outside of obvious damage?

Edit - Hi Dad! :wave:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

shy boy from chess club posted:

New chat thread new Scout pics

Fluff shot

Wanna pet stinky kitty :3:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Goober Peas posted:

Rolling the dice.

I hate Walmart but they had the tires for my car @ $160/tire, pick-up only, instead of $250-$300/tire everyone else was selling them for.

They deliver to the local store next week. I'm thinking worst case, they cancel the order because their price was wrong? Or they show up damaged, or the wrong tires?

Am I missing a downside here? Also is there anything visual I should look out for before I take them, outside of obvious damage?

Edit - Hi Dad! :wave:

Knowing WalMart, it's probably a model number specific to them so they can get better pricing from the vendor/manufacturer. Give them a quick look over, but they're probably fine.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Regular fire extinguishers ain't going to do poo poo to a lithium ion battery fire, and a Class D extinguisher big enough to take a shot at a burning car starts around $20k. You need a few inches of foam on the fire, not just to deprive the fuel of oxygen briefly.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

Congrats dude, that’s terrific.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

slidebite posted:

Wanna pet stinky kitty :3:

She would love that, when you scratch her back her leg starts going like dogs do even when she's standing up. Right now her coat isn't the usual puffiness cause she just blew the underfluff off for the summer. I got a whole skunks worth of hair in the brush every day and I don't know how she has any left.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

shy boy from chess club posted:

She would love that, when you scratch her back her leg starts going like dogs do even when she's standing up. Right now her coat isn't the usual puffiness cause she just blew the underfluff off for the summer. I got a whole skunks worth of hair in the brush every day and I don't know how she has any left.

Know anybody that's big into knitting? Maybe they could spin all her hair into some yarn and make you a sweet hat.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
oh hey! New thread - new truck!

You may commence my ritualistic shaming and lecture me about 'financing a depreciating asset.'
This is my first actual new vehicle.

I'm gonna miss the gently caress out of my trailer mirrors though :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

F350s use the same cab now, so you should* be able to bolt a pair off one of those right on there.

you've probably got like $1500 worth of electronics up in those mirrors these days, so the wiring might not be that easy.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Can anyone recommend a good computer chair? preferably a comfortable one that doesn't make my legs fall asleep?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Can anyone recommend a good computer chair? preferably a comfortable one that doesn't make my legs fall asleep?

Is there a Costco near you? Mine is clearing out these la-z-boy computer chairs that are super comfortable.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

ExplodingSims posted:

Hell yeah amigo congrats!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Hi hello

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IKEA. STR and I have the same one. Here's an updated version, it's super comfy

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90289172/

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I got a comfy and cheap one from Staples. Can't remember any other time I've bought something there. :thunk:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yet another 250lb rated chair, sigh.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm going to make my own chair out of a cooled S-class or 7 series seat at some point because all computer chairs suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Rhyno posted:

IKEA. STR and I have the same one. Here's an updated version, it's super comfy

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90289172/
+1, agreed