Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
It's too hot out to do a proper poll
This poll is closed.
Yesterday you said you'd call Sears 27 9.57%
I'll call tomorrow 11 3.90%
You'll call now 12 4.26%
I'll Call Now 19 6.74%
Another Scorcher 72 25.53%
Cool 34 12.06%
What the hell is this crap? I'm just here for Bowsette 107 37.94%
Total: 282 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Each game should be exclusive to it's own store and to buy the game you have to already own the game and have it installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I may be alone, but I've always found the critique "Did the world really need a game/movie/show like this?" to be incredibly lame and a disingenuous way of trying to inflate the importance of someone's personal taste. Like, sure, no, but the world doesn't need another fuckin Mario or Zelda game either.

I can't imagine Warren is in a good place emotionally about games these days though.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oh whoa. Japed again by not simply looking at the date on the image.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Been talking a LOT about the Ooblets thing in dev circles today. Consensus in general is happiness for the Ooblets team/project for getting such an awesome deal (guaranteed sales + full creative control + full IP ownership in exchange for timed exclusivity at a different address but same platform is the best funding deal you'll ever hear of by far) and perplexity at why this guy is handling the whole thing like a real tool. It's really weird.

But yeah, indie game acquires awesome funding, I'm happy for them.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There are legitimate complaints to be made about Epic for sure (just like with every platform holder) but the gamedev folks I keep tabs on are generally supportive of this while the people who are getting riled up are fellow-travelers of the "gamer consumer rights" folks so I want to stay away from this as much as possible

This is my understanding as well. In general, for most games, there a disconnect between people being angry on Twitter and sales, which is to say I think the game will sell just fine if it's good and fun to play.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I said come in! posted:

To add to it, after digging further into it; They were already funded by Microsoft & Double Fine, on top of recieving support via Patreon each month. They have 1100+ fans supporting them currently, that are all entitled babies according to the devs.

Not trying to DO AN OWN here, but do you happen to have a source on that they were getting significant funding from DoubleFine? From what I understand their publishing deal with DF went away when Microsoft bought DF and I would be surprised DF was giving them much in the way of dev cash. I thought it was mostly marketing and business dev support. Then again, I don't have a source for that part either other than "industry chatter", but I'm pretty sure they were no longer being published by DF as of the Microsoft acquisition.

Edit: You can also just ignore me if you want, I'm kind of tired of talking about it and I bet other people are too.. Sorry.

mutata fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 2, 2019

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Wow this thread had some interesting times while I was camping. Also this country did, too, but I half expected that something of some sort would've happened in that arena.

Humans get tribal over some odd stuff. I think we were meant to band together as like neighborhoods and towns but social media and mass suburbs mean we instead get really tribal over online game stores and websites and brands. Wild poo poo.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I played Riven as a kid and got to the point where I had to open a hatch with like 5 buttons or something all the way back at the beginning of the game and I swore I had the right combo for it but it never worked and nothing I did worked and I've never seen the end. Now I don't remember anything about it or Must despite really loving them.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I think I recall looking up the solution somewhere and it not working. At the time I figured it was bugged or something. Now I'm curious..

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm just reminding people. It is still a really good thing and we as a culture are better for its existence. Interstella 5555 is something that makes me feel happy.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I guess maybe they could use a couple more clipboard holders on the team, but it's a miracle that Dreams even exists from a technical and business standpoint so they can just kind of keep doing whatever they're doing as far as I'm concerned.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I think everyone pretty much understands that you can glean a lot from watching a game getting played and I think it's fair to say that playing a game yourself is different from watching a game get played.

What I'm trying to say is keep arguing and never give an inch because that's what Gordon Freeman would do if he could talk (he has no mouth, only a beard where his mouth should be and he was born that way from birth).

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Rarity is live posting while she's playing through so no spoilers I guess? Bully doesn't have a ton of spoilers now that I think of it...

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I just love the idea of smaller-scale open world games which are infinitely more fleshed out worlds. Bully felt really cool in terms of how the town felt, how all the characters populating it had names and personalities, how the passage of time felt real, etc. GTA5's world is an astounding technological masterpiece but Bully's world felt much richer all around.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I also find it hilarious and amazing that I still think back on Bully's events like Halloween and Christmas as WAY more special and exciting than most other AAA setpiece moments like GTA heists or whatever.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I feel like this is due to the setting, holidays are a major indication of the passage of time as a kid, especially when you're in school. You look forward to Halloween because you get candy and can dress up and the fall is ending. Christmas means toys and no school and all of the freedom that affords school kids. As adults those holidays are just regular days, maybe if you're lucky you get them off. I can relate to the feeling of Halloween night, I can't relate to flying in a helicopter and shooting an RPG at a rival gang leader.

Yeah for sure. It's not exactly fair, but it's interesting. Leveraging nostalgia and memory in game design (or anything) is so stupidly powerful. The player does a lot of the work for you just by bringing their memories.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Toadette is a independent fungus who don't need no man.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

SimCity 4 for me probably. I could easily rope in city planning, traffic design, socioeconomic dynamics, environmental conservation, or whatever else and depict it all through the lense of that game and its mods.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I play as women characters whenever I can because as a rule they have way prettier dress up options and I like pretty stuff and being pretty.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Have a feeling that the new Avengers game will further confirm my adopted rule of "never make games for Disney".

(Unless they fund in full up front, I suppose)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Phantasium posted:

did everyone just wake up on the hot take side of the bed this morning

Watching and supporting the sport of football is unethical given the medical statistics we have been learning over the past several years, nevermind the other ways the NFL sucks rear end.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

101 posted:

I feel like Tracer was the poster child before it launched. Guess it depends when the script was written.

The first character they designed was Torbjorn but Tracer was around since the Titan days. Torb should be in Smash, it needs a turret character to set up on the edge and shoot people down while the Torb player taunts on the other side of the map.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The 7th Guest posted:

this is in a completely different ballpark (worker exploitation) but it shouldn't come as a surprise because the terraria guy has always been weird

https://twitter.com/demanrisu/status/1166549893223198723
https://twitter.com/Rhopunzel/status/1166683623975731202

i doubt many people are going to go to bat for starbound, it was never great in the first place

Hey this is forever ago but this tweet thread is about Chucklefish and the guy who runs it which is not at all the same guy or company as what makes Terraria.

Chucklefish has a known bad reputation in various threads around here. The company is generally grubby and exploitative.

mutata fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 29, 2019

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

As for the game that I wish I could go back to as it and I were when it came out that would have to be 15 year old me playing Starsiege Tribes.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://mobile.twitter.com/barkbarkclark/status/1166602250363555843

Thread and replies.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

In Training posted:

I'm not excusing the person who exploited them. But I'm also just annoyed bc they're describing the entire Intern labor complex and phrasing their Twitter thread like they're accusing someone of sexual abuse.

Yeah, you're right. How dare them. How dare they allow themselves to be manipulated and exploited.

Jesus christ.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Araxxor posted:

He was the main artist for Terraria, but he left that team a long time ago (Fairly early into that game's lifespan), and all of his work got replaced at various points.

Also yeah, gently caress Chucklefish. They've screwed quite a few people and developers over.

Ah, understood! Thanks for the correction. I thought they were referring to the current "Terraria guy" and I didn't know the history there.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Jeeesus. I'm so very sorry. That's terrible. I'm glad you and your mum are ok.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Homeworld Master Collection is 85% off on Steam today.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I fear many developers took the wrong lessons from Breath of the Wild...

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I know a few folks who got a decent return on the Psychonauts 2 fig.

Also, while Gearbox is deffo publishing and owns the IP, Blackbird Interactive is developing the game with some original Relic dudes on board.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Warner Bros. I know you're hiding that Harry Potter game that had footage of it leaked almost a year ago. You can't keep it hidden forever.

Unless you had like, lootbox mechanic poo poo baked into it then take all the time you need to get that stuff out of it.

This is being dev'd by Avalanche Software, makers of Disney Infinity. It's been a while since I heard how it was going, I need to poke at them. They're in their 4th year of development on it now.

mutata fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 30, 2019

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Disneyland is cool and I generally like the art and media they produce bit that wedding sounds abysmal so good luck. Take a shot whenever you hear someone do a bad Mickey impression.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hey the actual info and statement from family is one thing but can we not drag this particular bullshit in here?

Like, I get your position here, but ehhhhhhhhhhhhhg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I used to do that quite a bit and while I have bad teeth I've never had problems with my front teeth which are the only teeth necessary for such a maneuver.

Edit: I am not a Dutchman. Apologies to any genuine Dutchpeople.