Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Not sure how I feel about the Angels giving up ??? for Max Stassi

Seems kind of risky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Intruder posted:

IcePhoenix I commend you for misspelling Greinke's name not once but thrice in the thread title

I before E except for Greinke

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

GalacticAcid posted:

A black pitcher scaring a white batter gets a bigger suspension than a white pitcher hitting a black Dominican batter :thunk:

Very curious...

Yeah it's kinda bogus Amir got 8 games

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
I know who you meant, I was just poking fun at your theory or whatever

Being serious, Garrett not getting the biggest one is a little surprising to me as well.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I kinda wish we didn't know Bauer is such a shithead cause the video was actually kinda nice.

Yeah, I thought it was alright. Dude's a shithead but it just seemed like, I dunno, a goodbye video? Got a chuckle out of him including a Kepler strikeout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx2bu0si5QY

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 2, 2019

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Lucroy was mostly terrible, sucks he got DFA'd like right after coming back I guess but it's hardly a loss. Would have been nice to trade him though.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Intruder posted:

It's crazy that we're just a couple years removed from Lucroy being one of the most valuable catchers in all of baseball. What happened to him?

Age mostly, I assume. I wasn't too thrilled when they signed him and would have greatly preferred someone like Grandal but early on in ST there were some rumblings that they might have fixed his swing. Turns out that was wrong and he was legit horrible defensively, especially after watching Maldonado for two years.

Dude just doesn't have it anymore and the concussion certainly isn't going to help.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

alpha_destroy posted:

Oh, imagine future three way players. They can hit, pitch, and field!

That's basically Ohtani but they will never let him play in the outfield as long as there's a chance he can still pitch

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Pedro's peak was better than Maddux, fight me

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Fewer years

Or more years

But there's only one greatest pitcher of MY lifetime and it's Pedro Jaime Martinez

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Does Bob Gibson count as an old timey pitcher because he's probably the first one I'd wanna see pitch if given the chance. Then Koufax.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

zoux posted:

Help me out here, what's the difference between these two sets

They are mostly the same, the only difference is that the Fastball% listed in the top one (FB%) is just one column and the bottom one breaks it down a little more to show that of his fastballs, 15.4% of them are Four-Seam (FA%) and 6.2% of them are Sinkers (SI%).

There's some slight variation between the two but that's because they are using two different sources I believe. The top one is Baseball Info Solutions and the bottom one is based off Pitch Info (pretty sure this used to be PITCHf/x Pitch Type? Not positive though).

fe: I assume this is Wade Miley? Here's a better breakdown of the bottom set

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 3, 2019

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Farhan knew

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

randy johnson should have won the NL cy young for the infamous Houston rental season

While I won't completely disagree with this, the fact that Maddux didn't get a single first place vote despite being better than Glavine in every conceivable way, and by a wide margin in most areas, except for WINS sure is something.

Fenrir posted:

Yep. He'd be a stone cold lock for MVP right now if it wasn't for the fact that Mike Trout continues to be Mike Trout.

This season is probably the best season yet for Trout lapping the competition and I'm still expecting the MVP vote to be closer than it ever should be

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeDiGiovanna/status/1158063995456315392

:shepicide:

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffFletcherOCR/status/1158088538430345216

Make it stop

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Judge's defense doesn't get enough love. He's really really good!

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Yordan is lucky that Bo Bichette probably won't squeeze in another 100 AB's before the end of the month.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Jacob deGrom has decided to go with "deGrom"

Also, this

https://twitter.com/FabianArdaya/status/1158789699407794178

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Full list of names

https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-mlb-players-weekend-nicknames

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

GalacticAcid posted:

They should do Hawaiian shirts next year

Only if they move players weekend to the week after the World Series ends

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Miz Kriss posted:

Votto's nickname is "WHO" and it took me an embarrassingly amount of time to get the joke.

Votto owns. I think that might be my favorite.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Porcello should have gone with CY YOUNG

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Happy Birthday Mike Trout

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Sydin posted:

Lucroy literally sucks more than Davis does though, why sign him?

Maybe you weren't watching last night but Taylor Davis has lockdown reliever written all over him.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
The Mets traded for Stroman and we all asked why and now they have been the hottest team in baseball for a few weeks and the joke is on all of us

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Just give Bo the RoY, he's already setting MLB records

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/FabianArdaya/status/1159884135231451142

Now's the time, Albert.

It's kind of crazy that he's probably most definitely going to end up under a .300 career batting average when it was .328 after leaving St. Louis

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
That clip isn't long enough to show his subtle Jordan Yordan shrug as he rounded third base

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

This is amazing

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
I didn't look into it much (at all) but I feel like 2012 had some really good rookies as well, highlighted by Trout, Harper and Cespedes. Pitching might be a little weak though, Darvish is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

fe: Cespedes. Man, I haven't seen him play in forever. When is he gonna be healthy again?

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 11, 2019

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Daily reminder that the Phillies spent hundreds of millions on Bryce Harper and are in 4th place

Yeah, well, the Angels spent even more on Trout and they are in 4th place too

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Intruder posted:

After the grand slam last night, Astros PBP guy said "You are no longer Yordan! You are ROYdan! Possible rookie of the year!"

Uh.. say that out loud

Hah, yeah, I noticed that last night too. He was obviously going with a rookie of the year pun but saying "Roydan" is walking a real fine line in this day and age

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Younger me used to like Rex a lot when he called the Angels games with Physioc. Older me has grown to like Gubicza even more.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I thought it was ROYdan like rookie of the year and "roidin'" was a pun unintended by the announcer

Thats what it was. Kalas said "We're going to call him ROYdan, R-O-Y as in Rookie of the Year" but when he said it and when anyone says it, it sounds like Roidin' which is funny for a few different reasons.

efb

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Gio Urshela has a 960 OPS.

What do the Yankees do when Andujar comes back, do you think they move him for some pitching or keep him because he's only 24 and move Urshela instead

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 12, 2019

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Andujar has a ton of upside still but I think you gotta trade him for some pitching. LeMahieu is in the mix too and should be playing every day and can play first. But yeah, I agree that you can't just move Urshela off of third once he comes back. I don't watch the Yankees a whole lot so I was curious how some of the posters that do feel about the situation. I know there was a lot of opposition against moving Andujar in the past but he might be their best chip to offer up for some quality pitching.

Alternatively, you can just keep him because the Yankees are going to be forever injured and in an infinite loop of Next Man Up.

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 12, 2019

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
I definitely would have traded Andujar and signed Machado. I'd also be a terrible GM, most likely.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://cuts.diamond.mlb.com/FORGE/2019/2019-08/12/dd4f2bb1-49e916e4-c64b90fe-csvm-diamondx64-asset_1280x720_59_4000K.mp4
He's very good.

e: Is there a way to resize these MLB clips? Used to be able to change the asset size down but I can't figure it out this year

Johnny Bravo fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Benny Hill theme was going through my head watching that, whatever the gently caress that was, live