Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

pelao posted:

1 tank 2 healers 2 DPS doesnt get you any further, really, on the time scale I was testing. Since it was short runs (10-15 minutes) the negatives from lack of DPS far outweighs the extra tanking.

I found it didnt really matter what you used as the tank - i tested pure HP, pure block, cleric mixes, and pally mixes, and at the 10 minute mark, they were all about level 1400-1500. The outright best test was a 200/80 cleric that got 1525 in 9:40 at the end of the 4th run.

With 1 dedicated healer (HP or a 150/25 warrior) it was 1250-1300 at 10 minutes. 1600 at about 14 minutes, after the 3rd run.

With 2 dedicated healers it was worse again, 1300 at 13 minutes after the 2nd run, 1650 at 18:40 after the 3rd run.

I'm not doing repeated tests so the RNG does put in a decent margin of error. Single mob really punishes an armour build.

I had all equal P1 stat upgrades, and all equal at 2 P2 stats except XP and Armor at level 3.

Oh yeah maybe it'll be the same during that timeframe but I really feel like 2 healers allow you to push further and get the giant amounts of XP of later floors. Maybe I'm just getting blidned by the big numbers and these longer runs are way slower, who knows.
Do you have any healing at all on the armor tank?
E: I just tried resetting my armor tank to an HP tank and he went from roughly 1e5 HP and 1e5 armor to 1.4e6 HP. That's exactly my problem with armor.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pelao
Apr 21, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

Oh yeah maybe it'll be the same during that timeframe but I really feel like 2 healers allow you to push further and get the giant amounts of XP of later floors. Maybe I'm just getting blidned by the big numbers and these longer runs are way slower, who knows.
Do you have any healing at all on the armor tank?
E: I just tried resetting my armor tank to an HP tank and he went from roughly 1e5 HP and 1e5 armor to 1.4e6 HP. That's exactly my problem with armor.

I think the real issue is floor scaling - the amount of armor that lets you be invincible in stage X is useless in stage X+2.

One thing in the armor build's favour is you can totally ignore spending PP on health and healing.

Still, with auto-buy resetting you to stage 1 every 1 or 2 runs, the speed of single-tank seems to be beneficial. those 2 runs can take 5 minutes or 10 minutes, depending on if you have 4 or 3 DPS.

e: no, no healing on the armour tank.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

pelao posted:

I think the real issue is floor scaling - the amount of armor that lets you be invincible in stage X is useless in stage X+2.

One thing in the armor build's favour is you can totally ignore spending PP on health and healing.

Still, with auto-buy resetting you to stage 1 every 1 or 2 runs, the speed of single-tank seems to be beneficial. those 2 runs can take 5 minutes or 10 minutes, depending on if you have 4 or 3 DPS.

e: no, no healing on the armour tank.

Yeah okay I did a test myself now by disabling prestige 1 autobuy and just seeing to which level each composition gets:
1 tank, 3 dps, 1 healer
- 5 min: 1313
- 10 min: 2051
- 15 min: 2538

1 tank, 2 dps, 2 healer
- 5 min: 985
- 10 min: 1564
- 15 min: 2143

So clearly I was very, very wrong about more healers being useful. Therefore, I tried to get rid of heals altogether:
1 tank, 4 dps
- 5 min: 1368
- 10 min: 2309 //evil DPS hacking
- 15 min: 3012 //what the gently caress?

The lesson here, I think, is not to get seduced by the big numbers, it's better to fail quickly instead of trying to last another level. Plus, at the end they all got to the same level (25) anyway.
As a bonus, here's the stats if you don't even use a tank:
5 dps
- 5 min: 1485
- 10 min: 2321
- 15 min: 2970

In the end, that means you don't even need to buy any upgrades except for XP, HP, and damage, which will probably speed up runs even more.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 19, 2019

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GrossMurpel posted:

So clearly I was very, very wrong about more healers being useful. Therefore, I tried to get rid of heals altogether:
1 tank, 4 dps
is this a parody of carmack's comments on the fast inverse square root code

loving goooooons

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

is this a parody of carmack's comments on the fast inverse square root code

loving goooooons

You're the one who recognized it :c00lbert:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

GrossMurpel posted:

1 tank, 4 dps

I just started the game, and am trying to take these lessons to heart. I have one Warrior Tank (Split between HP and Armor) and one Ranger DPS (Full Damage). Is this what I should be doing early game, or something different until I get the full five hero team online? What type of Tank is best for shepherding a team of DPS? Full HP? Full Armor? Balanced?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Klungar posted:

I just started the game, and am trying to take these lessons to heart. I have one Warrior Tank (Split between HP and Armor) and one Ranger DPS (Full Damage). Is this what I should be doing early game, or something different until I get the full five hero team online? What type of Tank is best for shepherding a team of DPS? Full HP? Full Armor? Balanced?

I went for an even damage/HP split on both my guys though I suppose that's the same end result as having one 100% damage and one 100% HP hero, so that's fine. Once you get a third hero, you should experiment between making him 100% healer or 100% dps. I was under the assumption healers are useful but that has clearly been proven wrong (for my 5 hero team at least) :v:
It appears as though sticking a healer on there allows you to maybe get a single floor higher (due to the exponential increase in enemy stats) but the time you need to kill the enemies on that floor would be better spent just resetting and going up the floors again. Especially later on when you get upgrades, then you get to either prestige or get back up to your old floor in like 6 rounds.
I only like the full HP tank because the armor is a small fraction of the HP he'd get. You'll have to ask pelao what he thinks, but in his post that I quoted earlier on the page he said the best tank is actually a self-healing cleric with some HP.
E: Also I don't know how clear it is now with all the info the dev added, but the most important part is your level; 100 levels allows you to get a prestige point and 100 prestige points allows you to get the next prestige layer. The max floor getting higher kind of happens on its own as you go along.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 19, 2019

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
How do I actually make Nanotubes in Evolve? I don't see any building that creates them or option under Crafting

Hup nevermind it's in Factories, got it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Buzkashi posted:

How do I actually make Nanotubes in Evolve? I don't see any building that creates them or option under Crafting

Hup nevermind it's in Factories, got it.

I always forget this, you get them so longer after factories and it doesn't do much to tell you where it is beyond a small amount of text in the research tooltip that you probably aren't reading because you already read it every other run or just know you want them because you have other things that need them.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Communicating what's happening is not one of Evolve's strong suits

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Eldercain posted:

Communicating what's happening is not one of Evolve's strong suits

Yes but I forget that one every single week I always wonder why I don't have any the next morning after thinking I idled tubes all night.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
There's just something about going Balorg with a full complement of slaves, Unite the world through military might and not being able to re-supply your slaves as they slowly die off for various reasons. Let me tell you discarding the Unite option was mighty tempting this run. :allears:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GrossMurpel posted:

E: Also I don't know how clear it is now with all the info the dev added, but the most important part is your level; 100 levels allows you to get a prestige point and 100 prestige points allows you to get the next prestige layer. The max floor getting higher kind of happens on its own as you go along.
it's totally opaque that 100 is the next prestige layer, so thanks for that since I just started

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

it's totally opaque that 100 is the next prestige layer, so thanks for that since I just started

At some point (50% of the way according to the changelog), the display at the top will change to show you how far it is to the next layer. That's still pretty opaque though because even unclaimed prestige points count towards the next layer. Took me a while to figure out what it correlated with.

pelao
Apr 21, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

I only like the full HP tank because the armor is a small fraction of the HP he'd get. You'll have to ask pelao what he thinks, but in his post that I quoted earlier on the page he said the best tank is actually a self-healing cleric with some HP.

I now think it just doesn't matter. Move fast and break stuff. Getting levels faster means the next run goes further, which compounds the gains. Maybe all DPS is the way to go for longer runs.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

pelao posted:

I now think it just doesn't matter. Move fast and break stuff. Getting levels faster means the next run goes further, which compounds the gains. Maybe all DPS is the way to go for longer runs.

Yeah that might very well be true. If your team dies, you either prestige anyway or you start 8 floors away and immediately skip at least 2 of those. So just throwing out damage might give the most XP over time.
Do you have the third prestige layer yet? I'm still 2 16 cost upgrades away and unreasonably excited :woop:
Also, I hope they add a "keep upgrades at the same level" autobuyer option sometime, I'm getting annoyed of having two of them pumped to like level 5 while damage stays at level 2 because the prestige points costs just happen to align like that.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

Also, I hope they add a "keep upgrades at the same level" autobuyer option sometime, I'm getting annoyed of having two of them pumped to like level 5 while damage stays at level 2 because the prestige points costs just happen to align like that.

Yes please, auto prestige ends up being a ton slower than manual because of this, it should always buy the cheapest upgrades first IMO. Or at least give us a priority option.

Also for team comps, I wonder if the 6th hero changes the math at all or if 1 tank 5 dps is still the way to go, I just got there so it's hard to judge without timing a bunch of runs. Getting pretty close to prestige layer 3 but not sure if I want to instantly jump on 2x exp or wait for a 2nd or more point.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Yeah there we go I got to 50 prestige points and it told me I was 50% to layer 2, looking forward to autobuyers because I am real lazy and hate manual resets etc

pelao
Apr 21, 2010
Im 54% towards my 2nd PP3, havent reset into it at all yet. I might wait for 3.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Cinara posted:

Yes please, auto prestige ends up being a ton slower than manual because of this, it should always buy the cheapest upgrades first IMO. Or at least give us a priority option.

Also for team comps, I wonder if the 6th hero changes the math at all or if 1 tank 5 dps is still the way to go, I just got there so it's hard to judge without timing a bunch of runs. Getting pretty close to prestige layer 3 but not sure if I want to instantly jump on 2x exp or wait for a 2nd or more point.

I'm not sure, in theory getting another DPS is a 1.25x damage increase whereas getting another tanks is a x2 health increase which is 1 floor if you're lucky (damage from floor to floor at least doubles every time as far as I can tell). Doing some more timed runs would probably be good, yeah.

pelao posted:

Im 54% towards my 2nd PP3, havent reset into it at all yet. I might wait for 3.

Yeah about waiting to get more points, there's this from the changelog:

quote:

Added a diminishing return to the prestige point gain multiplier, slowy fading away as you acquire more prestige points on the given prestige layer

Which suggests to me that it will take more PP2 to get a second PP3 than it would if you just reset at 1 PP3 and then went back up again. Still probably gonna be faster to wait since it already took a few days (for me at least) to even get to that point. It's just something to keep in mind. I saved up for 9 PP2 to get both a 4 cost and the 5 cost upgrade and it was far, far slower than the next 9 PP2.
Actually I might just immediately jump on the x2 XP on layer 3 and see how it compares to how fast you guys go.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 20, 2019

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
ugh, I reset with one PP2 and instantly slammed the "+1 team member" button and it's definitely not a fast enough increase from the extra body that I was correct to pick it over a separate XP multiplier, I feel dumb

pelao
Apr 21, 2010
The next PP2 will come much faster than the first.

I just reset with 2 PP3 and got XP and DPS.

I noticed the skip-levels-if-you-have-enough-dps perk might be a bad thing, a couple of times it jumped me to a point where i couldnt kill a single mob. Unless it changes I dont think I'll get the tier 3 version as well.

E: wow I just saw the Prestige Layer 3 stat upgrades all start at 2x - so you absolutely should prestige as soon as you get 1 PP3.

pelao fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 20, 2019

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

:woop: looks like the big update for evolve is here! Interstellar space travel, here we go!
(Also interdimensional travel. Changelog below.)

https://github.com/pmotschmann/Evolve/blob/master/changelog.md

Edit: Crispr upgrade to spend plasmids on removing racial traits? That'll be very helpful.

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 20, 2019

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

pelao posted:

The best I found, which fits with what GrossMurpel found, is setup 1 armor tank and the rest DPS for pushing prestige points, then before you do a next layer prestige (which wipes progress) setup for 1 HP tank, 2 healers (only one if you just have three heroes), and the rest DPS. HP tank and heals is good for pushing highest level, armor tank is good for bumrushing points. Armor tank is especially great on pushing points once you get the autobuyers because your group will die at least a level earlier, which may sound like a bad thing but with the hp tank/healer setup you'll lose a lot of time fighting the extra level or two you'll make where armor fails.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I think they messed up the numbers on Smeltery set to Iron. My usual set up prior to the big Evolve patch post-Space had it about 120% of my Steel production. I finally got a look at it now and I was producing 2.9k a second, and after setting it to something reasonable (4!) I'm making just under 1k/s. You can't really do much with it though.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I left IA running overnight and came back to 210 PP2 but only 67% progress to layer 3. Does layer 3 only open up at 500 overall PP2 or something?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

ugh, I reset with one PP2 and instantly slammed the "+1 team member" button and it's definitely not a fast enough increase from the extra body that I was correct to pick it over a separate XP multiplier, I feel dumb

heh
ALWAYS go for XP first :v:

pelao posted:

E: wow I just saw the Prestige Layer 3 stat upgrades all start at 2x - so you absolutely should prestige as soon as you get 1 PP3.

What do you mean, all upgrades always start at 2x, no?

nessin posted:

The best I found, which fits with what GrossMurpel found, is setup 1 armor tank and the rest DPS for pushing prestige points, then before you do a next layer prestige (which wipes progress) setup for 1 HP tank, 2 healers (only one if you just have three heroes), and the rest DPS. HP tank and heals is good for pushing highest level, armor tank is good for bumrushing points. Armor tank is especially great on pushing points once you get the autobuyers because your group will die at least a level earlier, which may sound like a bad thing but with the hp tank/healer setup you'll lose a lot of time fighting the extra level or two you'll make where armor fails.

Yeah the time spent healing is really useless, apparently. What do you mean by "bumrushing points"?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Holy poo poo okay I got my first PP3. Definitely prestige as soon as you can get it, dudes. It's amazing.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

What's this IA rpg everyone is talking about

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Gay Hitler posted:

https://www.kongregate.com/games/Gniller/incremental-adventures

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Gay Hitler posted:

https://www.kongregate.com/games/Gniller/incremental-adventures
It's not really much of an RPG, it just happens to have heroes whose stats you can customize a tiny bit.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

My brain filled in some of those letters in a very incorrect way

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
i too, was looking forward to some genital adventures

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

Yeah the time spent healing is really useless, apparently. What do you mean by "bumrushing points"?

Trying to earn prestige points as fast as possible instead of trying to hit the highest floor or kill the strongest enemy you could conceivably fight.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
When's the correct time to switch from HP tank to armor tank? I suspect it's earlier than I think it is, I have only one autobuyer and it feels like it already might be right. Dying faster means faster overall XP at some point and I just don't know when.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

something posted:

i too, was looking forward to some genital adventures

Please make this your next idle game tia

it will be about amassing massive quantities of and you use them to erect giant dildos.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

When's the correct time to switch from HP tank to armor tank? I suspect it's earlier than I think it is, I have only one autobuyer and it feels like it already might be right. Dying faster means faster overall XP at some point and I just don't know when.

If your goal is dying faster, why not go full DPS? :thunk:
Still would like for someone to properly try armor vs full HP tanking at this stage.

nessin posted:

Trying to earn prestige points as fast as possible instead of trying to hit the highest floor or kill the strongest enemy you could conceivably fight.

Oh I see. I've never specifically tried going for floors over levels.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 20, 2019

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

pixaal posted:

Please make this your next idle game tia

it will be about amassing massive quantities of and you use them to erect giant dildos.

:wiggle:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

And to fool everyone, it's initially titled Genitac Adventures until you build your first dong and the 'c' grows into an 'l'

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Gonna try Evolve again. Is there a race I should savescum to get, or does it not really matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Going Ent is a good choice because it lets you focus on one less early resource. Orc is another option because they have rapid recruitment for their military which is where your production values are going to be reliant upon in your first run.