Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Super Jay Mann posted:

What are our prestige unlock options for this thread anyway? I hope they were worth ditching R2.

R2 was not so bad for me, but I idled a lot and built up a huge reserve of resources. I probably broke through one wall and 2/3 the next just leaving the tab open for a while.
Still need to get that “make your own idle game” achievement, but who has the time for such active play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Am I doing something wrong with the start of Evolve or is it supposed to be this slow? I'm at the point where I need thousands and thousands of knowledge to get anything but I'm still ~8 knowledge/s. Universities and libraries take shitloads of money, wood, stone, and cement but give a completely pathetic amount of knowledge, and cottages/cabins/farms for more population take just as long to build for a similarly pathetic increase in lumber/stone/cement per second.

That's the way the first reset is supposed to go. I play pretty lax and it was several days to get to the reset button, fwiw. What's your population right now? Once you have apartments things will be more focused. I use pop as my meter stick for how far I am & I get to reset at ~130 pop. Though I should note that pop determines how much of the prestige currency you'll get, so spend a bit increasing your pop count.

Aurora posted:

i appreciate the change and response. thank you

Seconded.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Holy cow, 100??? Hmkay, I'm glad I didn't pre-emptively hit it then... I didn't even know that population went into it. Thanks for clarifying ^^

It's ((pop + soldiers) / 3) + Knowledge Bonus. Knowledge bonus is just "1 plasmid for first 100K knowledge spent, * 1.1 for each additional plasmid." The space reset has a multiplier of 1.015 instead, and gives another prestige currency, phage.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Jon Joe posted:

For some reason I have the desire to create an idle game about upgrading the UI.

I played a game on Kongregate about this probably a decade+ ago. Can’t recall the name at all though.

Re: Realm Grinder UI. The new one looks bad, but it’s really whatever. My big issue is the legibility of certain text being pretty poor. The old UI was ugly, but it made no bones about looking good and it was very legible to me.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I'm alternating between a space run and a gold star run on a species I haven't yet played. I think that's a good balance once you've played for a bit.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Magres posted:

Tbh I don't even really get what the stuff with challenges means, I've gotten to space and bioseeded and that's about it, I don't really get what's next or anything beyond repeating the loop ad nauseum.

I’m alternating between gold star runs and space runs, but I move at a pretty relaxed pace in incremental games. There’s also deep space and the different challenges (valdi, 99supercolliders, etc.) but you don’t need to rush.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

jesus christ the geckos in Evolve

ah ace we get a minor reduction to combat losses, at the small price of being able to support half as many soldiers

look on the bright side.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

explosivo posted:

Oh neat, is there any way to know there is an update without waiting for someone to mention it? I had no idea because I just keep the game running on my PC that there even was an update.

You can check the discord channel for updates, which will also let you know what’s changed. Or the normal way of turning off your computer at night, but that’s not always an option ofc.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Lockback posted:

You know what, that is a dynamite solution.

Great advice, thanks!

To add to that, once you've hit the helium grind for exploration, take just a minute to set up most everything required by the supercollider so it's above 100/s, it makes things so much smoother when you're just waiting for knowledge. I think copper is required, and getting it above 100/s is too much of a pain so you should increase the capacity to ~150K usually, but steel & cement especially you'll just need hundreds of thousands for the reset.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
They added a plasmid purchase that unlocks the building and research queue from the start, which helps a lot. If you don't already have the upgrade to speed up the protoplasm stage then that's also worth it.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

You take on the traits of your previous race and also get some combat bonuses.

You only take on the major positive trait of your most recent race. You won’t get the genus traits, nor the secondary trait from your most recent race. The combat bonus is nice, but you also get more trade routes which is a pretty big boon going for a space reset.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Comprehension of Alkahistorian happens right before you move to the next level & feel like you don’t understand anything again.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Eldercain posted:

A
Also I guess sitting around building one cottage a day in evolve with no indication of when I can prestige is uh pretty cool I guess.

you'll need ~100,000 knowledge cap, but that's not as useful as the population metric, ~120-130 is where I tend to unlock the plasmid prestige with some 50ish coming from apartments. The first run is much slower than future runs because once you've reset you'll get a building that increases your production (temple) and gives other bonuses. But one cottage a day sounds way off, so I'm not sure what you're doing or how useful this is.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

No, but you get an achievement for being a fanatic of your own species.

I haven't done much with fanaticism, but I'd be interested in hearing what species are worth it. I'm assuming Ent and Antid are both on the list.

They pretty much constitute the entire list. If you're going for a particular achievement, there are sometimes races that are better, but if you want raw numbers then ent/antid are the two species to consider.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

something posted:

Well, the sales on Steam today has outpaced even Kongregate which is... Wow. Wooooow.

It's been 15 hours of nonstop action from me, I'm POOPED

Hey congrats! It's great to have seen how NGU has evolved and grown, and going from memory that's quite a payday, worth the work I hope.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

In Evolve, where do I view my Mastery? I did the Valdi challenge like 6 months ago and then forgot about that part of the game completley so I have absolutely no idea what anything related to challenges/mastery is or does, and I can' t even find the number.

mousing over the production of a resource shows the various bonuses and maluses it has, like morale and mastery. You get .25% mastery for every achievement, and each achievement can be done with restrictions that give you a better “star” for it, up to gold. Mastery scales with the star level as well, gold star achievements give 1.25% mastery.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Arcanuse posted:

Any folks still playing Evolve?
Checked in after remembering, and it seems it's been getting a steady supply of updates since it was last brought up here.

Trying out the Pinguicula, and not having to put workers on mining stone is nice.
Gonna see how they pair with Ent not needing wood and how well that turns out. :v:
E: turns out all plants now have Sappy, not just Pinguicula; so that's gonna be helpful.

I’ve been slowly grinding Evolve since it was first brought up here & any normal person will want a script after a while because the start of the loop takes longer than it should if you’re checking in a couple times a day. The game absolutely still feels like someone spent an extra year+ on polishing and fleshing out kittens game, which is good imo.
I’ve just been grinding gold stars since October though, and not using a script because I don’t really care how long anything takes.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Garfu posted:

Yes. And IMO Evolve surpasses KG. It has more content at this point and is overall a much smoother experience.

Seconded. I’ve been playing Evolve since it was first posted and it’s a fun game that generally balances the ability to idle with the ability to make choices on what you want to focus towards. It’s clearly not the game that was initially envisioned, but I think it’s worthwhile.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Evolve is just kittens game if it had continued development, yes. But that means it’s much smoother in a lot of ways. For instance: the crafted stuff was a serious bottleneck in kittens game but in evolve you’re not really wasting resources meaningfully by not crafting plywood when wood is capped, even starting out you have enough wood production that it’s no big deal & just running two craftsmen on plywood continuously should be enough for the first reset. I also really like the prestige currencies and how they work, better than most games tbh.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
It probably means exotic materials, the two that you throw into black holes that are special (infernite and ???, been a few months since I black holed.) Failing that you’ll have to ask in the discord or check the built-in wiki maybe.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Epsilon Plus posted:

also, do we have enough Idleon players to form a guild, or should I just slum it somewhere? I checked the last few pages and didn't see anything

there is one, called “pizza is free” I believe.

Speaking of, is there a rough guide for where to put talent points? Or would someone spit out a few words on the subject?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

postmodifier posted:

For "put the points in these to be the best at x" you'll want the guides over at the Idelon Toolbox:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cY3vg1Z-AgOtIcV128D6kSLQRJE_-MUMtyqW0086Zmk/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you my friend, the first pie is on me!

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Cookie Clicker wasn't meant to be fun, why is it so popular?

A motherboard article with a cursory view of idle games that goes a little into the history of them, and highlights a video about how they've changed from critique to proponent of the state of video games. One thing that stood out to me was:

The Cow Clicker Guy posted:

"I find them super interesting," said Bogost, when asked if he genuinely enjoyed the clicker genre. "But I also sort of wish they went further? The idea of a game that nobody plays. A game without gameplay! An automatic game. It’s right there, but, instead, idle games settled into a pretty predictable RPG-lite + prestige pattern. Feels like a missed opportunity."

"All games kind of are grinds," he continued. "All of them. That’s sort of the point of games? Repetition. Unnecessary repetition. Just like life, but you don’t have to do it, which makes it somehow more appealing."

which I find interesting because he calls out the "RPG-lite + prestige pattern" as a general failure of developers to make an interesting game. I think that most of the smaller ones that I've played reach a point where they acknowledge it's ethe end and you can restart for some prestige currency, but nothing really will change and you're really done with the game. Whereas the larger ones use resets as a core mechanics (Trimps, evolve, etc) to change the experience of the game. It feels more like theme and variation in music to me. Maybe he's looking for developers to make pieces of art like Cow Clicker?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Gilg posted:

Two Evolve questions: I'm still early on in the MAD phase, Mastery around 8%, and I am starting to do runs with the challenge genes ("4 star"). Should I always be doing 4 star runs in the future, including through the next prestige levels, or is there some benefit to mixing in 0 star runs? Along those lines, if I'm always doing 4 star runs, does that mean I can ignore the advice of keeping ~250 Plasmids banked up?

1) The advantage to doing 2-3 atar runs is that they’re faster, pretty significantly. If you get bored of 4-star runs then do a 2-star of something you haven’t done before as a way to take a break, but otherwise generally stick to 4-stars. This is not the optimal way to play, but it is easier and more straightforward.
2) Absolutely not. You should always have at least enough plasmids to hit your softcap, no question about it. If 250 plasmids is an amount that matters, then you’re too early for it to be trivial to get back up to it if you want 250. I understand the logic that if you’re running sans plasmid bonus then you should be fine but spending them immediately will eventually burn you and it’s such a relatively small pain to just hold on to at least 250.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

It is the year 2172 and this ridiculous challenge game in Evolve (Antimatter 4* Technophobe)'s ultimate machine for Ascension is 15 segments away from completion. I will need a fuckton more energy generation to pop it off but this dumb run will finally draw to a close and I'll never have to work in this Universe again.

Barf, congrats on getting the last of it in queue though. I am not looking forward to that one.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Oh, so that’s what’s going on. There was a notification the other day that it was moving from web to steam and would cost $10. I didn’t want to fuss with running it through steam so I just closed it out. If you haven’t played in a while, they are developing it actively and it’s more interesting than it was when first posted here. Probably worth $10?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Cobalt60 posted:

Why DON'T folks like Melvor Idle? I started a couple weeks ago, and it seems OK. Is the payoff or endgame weak or something?

I got to ~40% completion and the next logical step was very boring so I doffed around for a little bit trying to find something fun in game and couldn’t. Then the notice came out that the browser version was getting shuttered in favor of steam, and I just decided to close the tab and move on.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

MikusR posted:

It isn't

I coulda sworn that’s what I read. I even remember reading it then saying “I must be misreading it, I’ll check tomorrow” and it definitely said that. Still, if that isn’t what’s happening then I’m glad. Maybe I’ll come back at some point, but I really was just kinda bored with it so it’s nbd.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
It feels very strange that the supply goes up as quickly as it does. After the first warp it was a non-issue to get each power source over 1k units, effectively infinite because the storage capacity is low enough to be measured in minutes (not hours) to fill. The battery seems to be the answer to that, but it isn’t particularly exciting.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Agent355 posted:

Got bored pretty quick of soda dungeon so starting up evolve idle again, I never got past the first type of ending before partly because of tabs/windows throttling in the background.

IF I put it in it's own firefox window will that be enough to not throttle it? I think it was chrome that didn't like running in the background but I don't remember.

People are reporting that Chrome is throttling games, but I haven't seen it in my evolve idle game. It may be because I'm using an offshoot of chrome, Vivaldi, but I don't know. If you have a firefox window with just the game, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Rynoto posted:

Evolve Idle:

Doing Truepath finally after way too much time idling pillars away and those modifiers sure are something. Feels a lot like Cataclysm with much more content.

I just finished a gold star technophobe run, so I’ll have to check them out.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
If I do a bioseed reset without any stars, it takes me a few hours from the previous reset, shorter if I pay full attention.

The first time I did bioseed I went through the same thing, but in evolve if you’re pushing for new stuff it usually means waiting a day or two once you’ve got the final bits queued. The script can probably help speed things up if you wanted to play that way, but I just see it like watching a show, it’ll happen.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

ZZT the Fifth posted:

e since my post was the last one in the thread: Is there an easier way to get Mythril in Evolve Idle? That's been the biggest thing bottlenecking me most of the time in the space phase.

You only get mythril through crafting. Iridium is supposed to be a pretty big pain point for a while, so I usually set it up with a large storage once I get it and ensure I’ve set up trade routes so I’m getting at least 1/second after my mythril crafter (or two). But I’ve been doing gold star runs for so long I don’t even remember that you can manual craft most of the time.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

That's all very helpful. I just started a run, probably much earlier than I should have, with all four of the challenge conditions (no plasmid carryover effects, no manual crafting, no free trade, junk gene), and I look forward to seeing the outcome, which will hopefully start making more sense. I also see I have a gold bunny and egg from easter, but no icon from the perk I got from playing on valentine's day; very confusing.

What do people mean when they say "4*"? Is that the four challenge conditions above?

Yeah, 4* is doing all four conditions. It’s what the cool kids do because it takes longer and that’s better in an idle game. You probably weren’t doing a gold star run on valentines day, so you don’t get the gold icon.

Posted while waiting for an earthquake on cataclysm.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I still disagree that scripts are necessary for Evolve, but I understand that I'm in the minority on that. I do move a lot slower than people who run the script of course.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

It's me, one of the odd ones who hasn't used a script in Evolve Idle in nearly 14 million game days played. It can be done, but I totally understand those who do.

Yeah, I started when it was brand-new and haven’t touched scripts nor felt the need. Which is good because when I tried trimps and ended up using scripts I got bored very quickly and closed it. I know if I scripted I could be further along, but I just set arbitrary goals and spend months doing them now so I don’t really care.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Evolve: I've been very busy the last week, so I let my last reset go for a while, and I finished the Dyson Net, the Stellar Engine, and the Stargate. Never been anywhere close to this deep in a run before. I had been planning on just Bioseeding when I had time, but how far am I from whatever the next tier of reset is? I'll probably just bop out in the morning if it's still pretty far out.

Not close. You need about 20M knowledge for the next reset & that will be a while yet for you.

ErIog posted:

I would recommend moving to Vivaldi for playing browser games. It's a Chromium variant, but with advanced features that gently caress with pages stripped out or disabled.

Yeah I switched to Vivaldo for tab stacking and am very happy with it as a browser.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Jester Mcgee posted:

Evolve Idle question.

I'm going for my first black hole reset, so I'm experiencing all this interstellar and hell stuff for the first time. I seem to be stuck though, how do I unlock missions to the white dwarf and black hole? The wiki isn't helpful, is it just time? Is it some resource accumulating? Do I need to research Virtual Reality? I really have no idea how to progress this interstellar section of the game.

You probably need to research energy shields, a tech that requires ~775K knowledge. Without looking, I'd guess you don't have all the soul gem researches unlocked and you're gated behind those, but you may just need to up your knowledge cap. If neither of those are the case, look through the buildings you've unlocked and ensure you've got at least one of each, there's a few techs that require something built and you may have just passed it by because it wasn't appealing or practical. This is also a decent time to level up your supercollider a little if that's appealing.

e: yeah, virtual reality is necessary, didn't see that question.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah, for those not sure how to proceed, here's what I've done for the early stuff:

1) Beg till you're a politician, using the funds to build up a 10K house with the 10K upgrades. Begging is the fastest way to make money early and CHA has a positive feedback loop that's buffed by the housing upgrades that give you additional CHA every day. There's no point that I can see to bother with farming your own rice ATM, it's just a 1 teal tax per day to feed yourself.
2) odd jobs till you unlock fishing and have 20 speed. Swap to fishing so you can train INT, with 20 speed you'll unlock herb gathering which builds INT faster. You'll have to mix in some days of politics to maintain your cash.
3) Apprentice Alchemy till you're a master alchemist, mixing in a few days of herb gathering if you want to or get close to 30 years old. You start producing pills that increase max age around +33, so you can gauge how close you are by the level of the potions you're making are.
4) Once you've extended your age a little with those pills, your next life you can probably start as an alchemist and cut out the early steps to get you alchemizing faster. Then it kinda sucks for a while, you're building up the funds for the 200M manual that allows you to auto-use all potions. There's a weaker version that allows you to designate each individual item as auto-use, it's very useful but the process of designating potion of speed +53 as auto-use, then immediately seeing a +54 version sucks.

After I figured this out it only took a couple lives to get to a max age in the 70's and now I'm trying to build spirituality so I can have a small amount when I reincarnate next. But, I gotta be done for tonight. It's an interesting game, but there's some very annoying tedium and the authors seem to think of that as a feature not a bug. We'll see what happens! As a note, you can mouse over most things to get a description, including your stats to see what your aptitudes are.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Sindai posted:

How many lives does it take to reach master alchemist and life extension pills? I've done at least a half-dozen so far and I'm already tired of setting up the early parts of a new run every couple of minutes. The ability to not pause on death is mostly useless since you lose access to all the jobs you had anyway.

I want to say master alchemist is at 10K INT, but I may be mistaken. Make sure you’re mixing some herb gathering because alchemy consumes herbs if you have any to produce potions and pills. The housing upgrades are a big deal because they let you decrease the downtime of resting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Evolve chat:

I've pillared once so far, just with my custom race.
16k plasmids, 3.2k antiplasmids, 16 dark energy, 33 harmony crystals. Dark energy farming doesn't seem to be even remotely worth it, so I haven't bothered.

I'm about to start my final Technophobe run in antimatter. After that, I'm going to do truepath (not in antimatter).

For pillaring, I assume the general approach is:

Find a nice planet in heavy universe
0* ascend with custom for the bonus
Do a 4* pillar ascension with each genus, inheriting slaver from my custom race every time
At some point when I get bored with ascensions, start pushing for the next reset tier?

I haven't touched the inflation or ooze scenarios, and I haven't done any of the valdi feats like bioseeding.

I'm not doing that yet, but that's exactly what I would do if I was pushing it. There's at least one person in the discord who has done everything the last time I checked, so it might be worthwhile to ask there.

ImmortalityIdle: what's the best way to increase spirituality apart from the prayer shrine? I feel like there's some way that I've overlooked.