Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Twerk from Home posted:

Is there some magic that goes into the "max payload" sticker on the inside of the door jamb that is more than just GVWR - weight of that specific vehicle?

I'm comparing a Durango vs a half ton for towing a modest (4-5k GVWR) trailer, and the Durango does not seem to have anywhere near enough payload for its rated tow ratings. Based on engine, the Durango with its tow package is rated to tow 6200-8700 lbs, but also every single Durango has a door jamb sticker that says "1200 lbs max". That is absolutely going to be a problem with 10-15% tongue weight for trailers anywhere near its max payload rating, but also it's unintuitive that the payload would be identical for every single one, regardless of configuration. To make it worse, Dodge advertises different payload capacity, but if you actually look at the physical sticker on the truck, they're all 1200. Is the only way to figure out actual Durango payload taking it to a scale, and subtracting its measured weight from its GVWR?

For that matter, payload seems to be an issue on the half-ton trucks as well, because the bigger engines have lower payload capacities. For example, a base V6 4x2 Ram 1500 quad cab has 2300 lbs payload with no options, while the bigger engines that weigh more have the payload start falling quickly. That 2300 lbs payload sounds great for the V6s rated ~7k lbs towing capacity. By the time you're at the 4x4 5.7 V8, the maximum payload is down to about 1700 lbs, which feels like it's going to be a big problem if you're trying to pull the rated 11,500 lbs. What am I missing? What's going on here? Why do the "bigger towing" trucks have dramatically smaller payload capacity?

RAM payload chart, showing decreasing payload as tow rating increases: https://www.ramtrucks.com/BodyBuilder/service/Image?imageId=MtQrP%2FFqLY5r%2Fest8MtGjGgHzAHGUTU0WB3rWuqSY7YmQ2vEhuBWBONjPJTiLoD5%0A

To clarify just a little, payload is GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) minus GVW (gross vehicle weight). With all the electronics, extra massaging seat motors, 4x4 components, larger engine blocks etc its normally the case that your better equipped trucks actually have lovely payload. We just had a discussion about this elsewhere.

With the Durango that sticker is probably generic and worse case since its intended to be a family hauler. Trucks generally get more specific. GM does some nice ones. CSB is right about modern 3/4 tons, they are the new commuter vehicles and its entirely possible to find a platinum F250 PSD with a 1900lb payload and a 17,000+ lb “tow rating”. I have heard manufacturers sandbagging GVWR a bit on light duty (everything up to 1 ton) trucks because most people care more about lower registration fees. So its possible the vehicle can haul more, for the purposes of camping you probably wont get checked (outside of a few western states and dedicated enforcement on the NYS thruway), but its not something I would bet my family, money, license or things on. People ignore it (rv dealers especially) all the time. Personally I own a 3500 single rear wheel for this reason. The current ram 3500 singles have a 4000ish payload with a cummins. Significantly more than a 2500 with a cummins. The sticker in mine accurately reflects the added weight of the 4wd and aisin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I am 'working' from a KOA on the coast with excellent WiFi, drinking coffee looking out at the forest setting. I love this new remote model and will try like hell to never go back to an office ever again.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Glad it exists, too, because prior to that GCWR was a loving crapshoot. My WJ Grand Cherokee was seemingly rated on what it could get moving, once, on level ground in subzero temperatures - because doing half that going up a grade in mild ambients was a great way to learn how fast the coolant temperature needle can climb.

What about midsize trucks? Colorado/Canyon (excluding ZR2 thanks to the soft suspension) will do 7000lb with the V6, 7700lb with the diesel - and the only real limit there is power versus drag at high speed, which the V6 probably handles better if you're willing to do single digit MPG in exchange for cruising at 70+.

Define: "Will do". My F150 is capable of pulling certain weights on level dry pavement, but on many of the hills here in Utah, it is another story entirely. We throttled way back on wet trailer rate when shopping.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 23, 2021

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Took delivery of our Bean on Friday! We are in love.

It is so adorably tiny. We also will continue to poop in a bucket and I am okay with that.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Back in norcal for a vaccine....

Pulling into camp. 2wd/low
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS3W36Gzg6I

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I grew up way out in the sticks and rode the short bus to school (a squared ford econoline from 1990). That sound brings back some memories, lol.

Looks like fun.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

How many tear-droppers/fiberglass RVers are in here?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Does grand design have the same rep for their reflection TT as for the reflection 5th wheels?

Still debating if we want to start fairly inexpensive (Cherokee 321TS'ish) or go straight for a much more robust and comfy but more expensive trailer/5er.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

ilkhan posted:

Does grand design have the same rep for their reflection TT as for the reflection 5th wheels?

Still debating if we want to start fairly inexpensive (Cherokee 321TS'ish) or go straight for a much more robust and comfy but more expensive trailer/5er.

Yes and I would, more for durability, comfort and resale than anything else. GD has a better than average reputation for assembly quality and pre delivery inspection. I don’t think thats changed since being bought out by winnebago. They also market by sponsoring youtubers so who knows. I don’t think there is unbiased 3rd party data regarding rv quality so its mostly anecdotal. The rv roof repair guy seems to think they are all pretty bad, but thats still anecdote.

The best thing you can do is inspect the poo poo out of it before you leave the dealer or pay someone to do it for you if you’re unsure. Don’t count on the warranty for anything. The android jaycommand tablet that controls everything in mine died, its under warranty, but that means two months at the dealer before it gets “fixed”. Thats no bueno when your full time. Thankfully the app still works.

Feb 8, 2008
I've got a budget of around $50k and have been looking at Ford Transit Connect camper conversions. Does anyone have any experience with those? Curious about drivability and millage. I'm a pretty avid backpacker and camper so I'm not to concerned about the lack of amenities in the Connects campers. The full size Transits/ProMasters/Sprinters just seem a bit ungainly for me, as this would be my primary driver for a few years.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I just discovered this thread/forum and decided to inflict this summers truck camping misadventures on you

Starting with this weekends build project

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Hi RV thread. I have recently been infected by some sort of brainworms about turning my truck into Camping, but Better, for myself, partner, and dog. We're both tall people (6'6" and 6'3") but our truck is an 8' bed tundra. We live in the pnw and like to play outside - I like kayaking and birding, and she likes hiking. We've had some pleasant car camping adventures, but it feels like we should be able to be substantially more comfortable without that much trouble, given that a queen mattress fits comfortably in our truck bed.

This has led me down the deep rabbit hole of truck camping options, ranging from pitching a tent in the bed or DIYing a platform under a soft topper to pop-top caps like four wheel campers project M or ovrlnd's shell. Finances aren't a major constraint (at least, along this spectrum), but I also don't know anything about rving/overlanding beyond what I know from general outdoor play and car camping. What I do know is: I have a big truck, it is good at going places, it's got a stickered payload rating of 1,555 pounds, it'd be cool to also sleep in/on it, I don't like towing stuff, we have 2 kayaks (that could be cool to bring?), we have a dog, I have mixed feelings about pooping in holes (but haven't tried it??)

I've been watching some overlander youtubers (like bound for nowhere) to get a better sense of the details and realities, but I'm also keen on reading recommendations (books or blogs or effortposts or whatever) in this part of the spectrum. I don't have a good sense of the breadth of activities that this can unlock or what ~vanlyfers~ actually spend all their time doing but I am intrigued! I'm also interested in better understanding the spectrum of options, tradeoffs, and key enablers within the constraints of "happens in my truck bed" and "tundras have kinda low payload limits." Like, if I build a bed platform, huck a queen mattress on it, and take all of our camping gear, what am I gonna be really bummed about not having a week or two into a trip? If I want to spend a month+ on the road without getting fired from my fully-remote job, are there any unexpected constraints or major nice-to-haves to make that work? What are the unknown-to-an-idiot unknowns??

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I went camping with my wife this weekend in our teardrop. It was very excellent and I cannot get over how great this little thing is. Cooking with the galley kitchen might be my favorite part.

Bloody posted:

Hi RV thread. I have recently been infected by some sort of brainworms about turning my truck into Camping, but Better, for myself, partner, and dog. We're both tall people (6'6" and 6'3") but our truck is an 8' bed tundra. We live in the pnw and like to play outside - I like kayaking and birding, and she likes hiking. We've had some pleasant car camping adventures, but it feels like we should be able to be substantially more comfortable without that much trouble, given that a queen mattress fits comfortably in our truck bed.

This has led me down the deep rabbit hole of truck camping options, ranging from pitching a tent in the bed or DIYing a platform under a soft topper to pop-top caps like four wheel campers project M or ovrlnd's shell. Finances aren't a major constraint (at least, along this spectrum), but I also don't know anything about rving/overlanding beyond what I know from general outdoor play and car camping. What I do know is: I have a big truck, it is good at going places, it's got a stickered payload rating of 1,555 pounds, it'd be cool to also sleep in/on it, I don't like towing stuff, we have 2 kayaks (that could be cool to bring?), we have a dog, I have mixed feelings about pooping in holes (but haven't tried it??)

I've been watching some overlander youtubers (like bound for nowhere) to get a better sense of the details and realities, but I'm also keen on reading recommendations (books or blogs or effortposts or whatever) in this part of the spectrum. I don't have a good sense of the breadth of activities that this can unlock or what ~vanlyfers~ actually spend all their time doing but I am intrigued! I'm also interested in better understanding the spectrum of options, tradeoffs, and key enablers within the constraints of "happens in my truck bed" and "tundras have kinda low payload limits." Like, if I build a bed platform, huck a queen mattress on it, and take all of our camping gear, what am I gonna be really bummed about not having a week or two into a trip? If I want to spend a month+ on the road without getting fired from my fully-remote job, are there any unexpected constraints or major nice-to-haves to make that work? What are the unknown-to-an-idiot unknowns??

Hi Bloody - I am definitely not the pro in this by any stretch but I have a thread in AI that has somewhat become the de facto overland thread? I have gone through a few things that may be of value you can check out here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893547

As far as favorite YouTube channels I would say Trail Recon is a real wholesome watch. The adventures and the builds are tops. Great camera work, nice narration and very informative. It is primarily Jeep stuff on the channel but still a great watch. Last Line of Defense also has some very good content but to me his stuff is not as consistent "want to watch" the way Trail Recon is. You can get deep into stuff on Instagram. Hoglundoverland is very consistent with some excellent content, overlanddad is deep into a Tremor/truck camper build that is going to be unreal when finished.

Head over to my thread and have a read and then start asking around, others might have better insights.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I like trail recon but he talks super slow and takes forever to convey any information. Lots of great location ideas for me, though.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
My trailer is a bunkhouse model. The bunkhouse does not have an AC vent or exhaust vent. I would like to add a 12v exhaust vent and I believe I could do it myself but I am scared to death about cutting into the trailer roof. How do I know if I am about to cut into a structural member? What else should I be thinking about?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Syano posted:

My trailer is a bunkhouse model. The bunkhouse does not have an AC vent or exhaust vent. I would like to add a 12v exhaust vent and I believe I could do it myself but I am scared to death about cutting into the trailer roof. How do I know if I am about to cut into a structural member? What else should I be thinking about?

See if the manufacturer will give you that information about member placement.
That's not usually the case to get such info so:

high humidity will show where the structural beams are.
a stud finder perhaps?
Can also push on the wall and see what is more solid versus its surroundings.

Cut your rubber roof undersized to the hole. ie: vent is a 14"x14", cut your rubber roof at 12"x12". Stress relief on the corners.
If its an aluminum or fiberglass roof, 14"x14" will be fine.
If you happen to run into any 12v wiring, the shrouds from the van for the interior can re route and hide that if you extend the wires themselves.
3M-4200 on the rubber roof, or if not, eternabond will seal it.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I went camping with my wife this weekend in our teardrop. It was very excellent and I cannot get over how great this little thing is. Cooking with the galley kitchen might be my favorite part.

Oh hell yes, love this. Nice to see the new camper and GX getting out :D

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Stud finder seemed to work and it measured the crossmembers at 16 inches off center so I am guessing thats about right. Im going to punch a hole for my center and then go from there to install the unit. Will grab 12 volt power from one of the overhead lights thats about a foot away and just cover the wire with some sort of track. Still nervous about cutting in to the thing but overall it should be a ton more doable

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
If you're using led lighting run dedicated wiring(including the return path!) for the fan otherwise the lights will flicker.

Figured that one out part of the way through the remodel in mine. Luckily it was half built so I just ran fresh wire.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Talk to me about dedicated wiring. Not positive I understand

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Syano posted:

Talk to me about dedicated wiring. Not positive I understand

Oh, run fresh fused set of wires (power/ground)from the converter/power panel. At first I ran a new power wire but spliced into the ground network that was in the area, it caused flickering in all the interior lighting connected to that ground network. I ran a separate ground just for the fan adjacent to its power wire.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Man I have no clue if I'm gonna be able to run from the power panel. It's 15 feet away in the kitchen and I think the roof is styrofoam filled

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Syano posted:

Man I have no clue if I'm gonna be able to run from the power panel. It's 15 feet away in the kitchen and I think the roof is styrofoam filled

lmao I know what that hell entails involving retrofitting puck lights. (my camper has wiring channels cut within the foam to chase wiring, it was really easy to pull wire through existing areas..) Hopefully everything works out better for you than it did me.

E: mo trails

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 27, 2021

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Is there a point in OAL where it just doesn't make sense to go bumper pull anymore and you should just eat the cost of going to a 5th? The 324TS we walked through has been pointed out as just being huge (40ish foot OAL) but a 5th you not only don't have a big tongue sticking out the front you also have the front x feet overlapping the truck that's towing it.

A 37 foot 5th is damned big, but it's more trailer than that 324TS, more usable space inside, and has gotta be a lot easier to tow than the monster trailer is.

And side note, why are all the TV connections around using loving coax instead of HDMI or DP?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Until Wineguard goes out of business, there will be coax outlets behind common TV locations in RVs. What would you even do with a DP or HDMI behind a TV in an RV anyway that wouldn't be better suited to a streaming box local to that display?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

ilkhan posted:

Is there a point in OAL where it just doesn't make sense to go bumper pull anymore and you should just eat the cost of going to a 5th? The 324TS we walked through has been pointed out as just being huge (40ish foot OAL) but a 5th you not only don't have a big tongue sticking out the front you also have the front x feet overlapping the truck that's towing it.

A 37 foot 5th is damned big, but it's more trailer than that 324TS, more usable space inside, and has gotta be a lot easier to tow than the monster trailer is.

And side note, why are all the TV connections around using loving coax instead of HDMI or DP?

Where do you intend to camp? Do they have sites that accommodate a 40’? Are you comfortable driving something that long? Otherwise its just cost. I got a shorter fifth wheel so it can fit into some of the national parks with a 35’ limit. The fifth wheel will be more stable going down the road and quicker to hook up compared to a weight distribution hitch, but its not that its “bad” to tow a 40’ bumper pull just because its long. My jayco was roughly 37-38’ from hitch to rear bumper and it did fine, even without the wdh since it had a lot of wheelbase and adequate tounge weight. My 12’ dump trailer by comparison nearly killed me with a sway event a couple weeks ago. Its wheelbase is short, one tire was at 60 instead of 80, and its tounge weight is not enough. Also not sure what you mean about coax only, both of mine have had HDMI inputs on the stereo that would play on the TV. All the campground cable connections are coax but I never watch TV and campground wifi sucks so no streaming.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
I’m thinking about acquiring a Lance 650 for my 2017 Ram 1500 eco diesel. The model itself looks pretty nice but I’m wondering what else is out there designed for a half-ton pickup?

I’ve looked at Palimino for their pop up camper line but most of the reviews I read sound pretty lackluster.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

McDeth posted:

I’m thinking about acquiring a Lance 650 for my 2017 Ram 1500 eco diesel. The model itself looks pretty nice but I’m wondering what else is out there designed for a half-ton pickup?

I’ve looked at Palimino for their pop up camper line but most of the reviews I read sound pretty lackluster.

I thought that the Lance 650 was targeting the payload capacity of F150s, which is a good bit higher than most RAMs and especially higher than the Ecodiesel. What does your door jamb sticker say your payload capacity is?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
seeing 1455lb for the Laramie and 1614lb for the LoneStar/BigHorn edition. Its a bit soft compared to other offerings.

The lance 650 is 1694lb dry and 1897lb wet. These usually report 20% or better low, that's 2032lb and 2276lb respectively.

Technically without doing anymore homework? No.

Weigh your truck at a (CAT or the like)scale full of fuel, with you in it. take its GVWR on the cab frame/door frame and subtract the scale weight. That is your actual payload.

Payload can be increased to a degree, however turning a 1/2 ton truck into a 1.5 ton truck isn't really feasible, but for the purpose of carrying this '1/2 ton camper' its possible.
Any shop can perform the refit for you. Some will certify the new GVWR.

Your payload is limited by four main factors. Inspecting the vin tag will tell you about what individual weight capacities are.
1. Tires. Going from C/D to E code tires is highly advised.
2. Wheels. OEM wheels can be pretty hard to find the weight capacity.
3. Springs. Usually a code on the vin tag that you can search for online to find the capacity. +1 for passive systems like add a leaf, overloads, and helpers. Not a fan of timbrens but people like em. Air bags come with maintenance but also work.
4. Axle. Not 100% sure on your specific truck, Chryco typically uses the AAM 9.25" which is rated for 6,000lb.

Be aware that changes to tires and suspension will affect ride quality and handling, loaded and unloaded.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

ilkhan posted:

Keep in mind it's a lot harder to bring a boat with you with a 5th wheel vs a bumper pull. I would love to upgrade to a 5th wheel with a little bigger master bed, but I like having the canoe with me. Until I see a good option to mount a boat rack on the trailer, I think we'll stick with the little bumper pull trailer and rack on the truck.

There are some places (my province is one of them) where you can put a boat trailer behind a 5th wheel trailer. You don't see it often, but it's hilarious to see. Tandem trailering. I want nothing to do with that.

So if you need/want a boat, that's a good reason to stick with a large bumper pull style vs a 5th wheel.

We went camping in Canmore back in April to open the season.

The view from this site rules.

Terry's still doing OK.

We did a hike up Heart Creek with some friends, it was not easy getting pictures without people in them.

The icefall was gorgeous.

It was an awesome weekend, but the sunday turned a little cold and snowy on us, which is fine.

Still had fires outside, it's too nice not to.

Quite a change from the 20'C we had the day before.

Not easy to get a picture of the mountains freshly covered through the clouds, but worth it when they poke through.

Packed up.

Ready to go.

Couple weeks later we went about an hour north of us to that same Prairie / Riparian lake we went to last fall. May long weekend in Canada is always a big deal for camping.

We were the first ones to arrive, the camp ground opened an hour before we got there.

Really enjoying this set up.

The view out the front of the trailer from our table is nice. Weather turned cool&rainy on us so we enjoyed some cards and book reading inside.

I noticed the sink had cracked, must have had something fall into it from the medecine cabinet when it was cold and brittle. That's a bummer.

Fuckin pain in my dick getting the thing unscrewed and pulled out. The original installers used butyl tape instead of caulking, which is weird but easy enough to scrape off I guess.

Decided to tackle the outdoor shower faucet at the same time. The swivel point (black bit in the middle) on that thing has been leaking for years, but it was never a high priority as we only used it occasionally to wash our hands outdoors.

May as well do all the plumbing jobs at the same time I guess. So the faucet is 'accessible' under the kitchen sink cabinet. Bottom right, and you have to reach all the way under this little port under the couch frame.

Being a fatass, there was no way I could get my arm in there to undo both water lines. You can see the lines on the left here.

So I called my neighbour's kid, he's 1/3rd my size and even he struggled with it. Unfortunately I could hear it leaking when we turned the water back on so the whole assembly has to come out. gently caress.

I unscrewed the fascia, took out a dozen staples, pulled the faucet out, tightened it up, and put it back together. I re-butyled the thing but my tape is old and hard and I did a fuckin awful job of it. I'm going to get some newer stuff and re do it, or wait until it gets super hot and try to carve it down some. I did lay a layer between the flange and the siding, so it's mostly ok and this will keep the water out, it just looks like complete dogshit.

But the new sink went in ok, I had some trouble getting the line reconnected and the mounting screws are a pain to put in, but it's siliconed in place and working fine now.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
We just got an rpod and this is my first camper trailer of any sort.

I like the frog decals the most.

E: took it out this weekend for its first trip. Heck yeah.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 7, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Here's a question for state parks:

I went to a WA state park and their black tank flushing water wasn't a typical threaded hose. Instead it was a graduated nozzle with a squeeze trigger. It almost looked like an air hose.

What kind of interconnect will I need to interface with this kind of hookup in the future?

Sorry I don't have a picture.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Slung Blade posted:

Keep in mind it's a lot harder to bring a boat with you with a 5th wheel vs a bumper pull. I would love to upgrade to a 5th wheel with a little bigger master bed, but I like having the canoe with me. Until I see a good option to mount a boat rack on the trailer, I think we'll stick with the little bumper pull trailer and rack on the truck.

There are some places (my province is one of them) where you can put a boat trailer behind a 5th wheel trailer. You don't see it often, but it's hilarious to see. Tandem trailering. I want nothing to do with that.

So if you need/want a boat, that's a good reason to stick with a large bumper pull style vs a 5th wheel.

Doubles are legal in most states and its becoming more and more common for fifth wheels to have a tow rated hitch on the back. Semis (think UPS or fedex ground) do it all the time. I debated adding one to mine to pull a small aluminum trailer and my pioneer 1000. But it turns out UTVs aren’t allowed in a lot of places so meh.

If you want to avoid the doubles a lot of fifth wheel designs have a big storage underneath in the back. Not full on toy hauler but big enough to stash some kayaks and a bike on a handy roll out tray. I think Grand Design had a weird one with a really tall bed that would accommodate a motorcycle under it.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I went to a WA state park and their black tank flushing water wasn't a typical threaded hose. Instead it was a graduated nozzle with a squeeze trigger. It almost looked like an air hose.

What kind of interconnect will I need to interface with this kind of hookup in the future?

I hate that. I have an extra short hose - the poop hose - that I throw on my black water intake and rubber gloves I wear, then I try to get the nozzle into the poop hose and hope like hell to not get any on me.

e: going to Mossyrock next month and I cannot wait, gorgeous camp.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The rpod I got came with an Aussie camper grill but it's just one flame element and is literally a small grill.

I'm interested in just having a single raging burner so I can get my cast iron hot and boil water quickly. Is there a go-to model I should be looking at?

I see you can get legit big ones with metal stands but I am thinking I want more portability and ease of storage. I was looking at a dual fuel GasOne burner that runs on either propane or butane but I'm open to other suggestions.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
OG colemans are the goto. I can highly recommend Jetboils genesis system if you can find one.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I don't really follow. Home-depot together an adapter?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've got an idea and I wondered if you guys have ever seen anything like it. When we go tent camping we carry most of our copious crap in an old gutted trailer tent chassis. I want to make a hard top for it and was wondering if there was a way to use the (mostly emptied) trailer as the kitchen when we're set up. Simple version would be just to use it as a work surface (building the top to the right height) but I wondered if anyone's seen any Overland trailers or similar set up this way?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

I've got an idea and I wondered if you guys have ever seen anything like it. When we go tent camping we carry most of our copious crap in an old gutted trailer tent chassis. I want to make a hard top for it and was wondering if there was a way to use the (mostly emptied) trailer as the kitchen when we're set up. Simple version would be just to use it as a work surface (building the top to the right height) but I wondered if anyone's seen any Overland trailers or similar set up this way?

Sounds a lot like you are after the kind of storage setup made by the likes of Goose Gear. Basically sliding out rack systems that lock in place and have stuff bolted to them: https://www.goose-gear.com/collections/accessories-1

I added an upstairs to my RV

then decided to add a bigger upstairs and got an iKamper Skycamp 2.0:

It was very good and I can say I really like molded fiberglass campers.

Some friends came along with us in their tiny fiberglass camper and I took a couple pictures of it.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Some friends came along with us in their tiny fiberglass camper and I took a couple pictures of it.

Looks like a Happier Camper! My aunt and uncle have one and it's v adorable.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Does anyone have experience with trailers in the roughly 6x8 range?

Long story short my girlfriend loves tent camping, I do not, and I am still a few years from being able to even start the bus project I'm planning so I am looking in to buying a basic trailer if I can find something that can be towed comfortably behind our current cars. That is the hard part, we have small cars which place a hard limit at 1500 lbs and I'd really like to keep it firmly under 1000 lbs dry.

I don't need much, but my back requires something that resembles a real bed and my hairy body demands air conditioning. I could get by with a long twin or double bed, but as much as my girlfriend insists she loves her tent and will never "wimp out" I suspect if the air conditioning is there on a hot summer evening she and her two rat dogs are likely to join me so I figure a queen bed makes sense.

So far I've been able to find this model https://www.runawaycampers.com/rangerunner which looks like a pretty good fit, and there are a few examples available for rent between me and some nearby destinations that would probably be worth trying out for a weekend.

Does anyone have experience with these or anything else in that same ballpark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

rdb posted:

Where do you intend to camp? Do they have sites that accommodate a 40’? Are you comfortable driving something that long? Otherwise its just cost. I got a shorter fifth wheel so it can fit into some of the national parks with a 35’ limit. The fifth wheel will be more stable going down the road and quicker to hook up compared to a weight distribution hitch, but its not that its “bad” to tow a 40’ bumper pull just because its long. My jayco was roughly 37-38’ from hitch to rear bumper and it did fine, even without the wdh since it had a lot of wheelbase and adequate tounge weight. My 12’ dump trailer by comparison nearly killed me with a sway event a couple weeks ago. Its wheelbase is short, one tire was at 60 instead of 80, and its tounge weight is not enough. Also not sure what you mean about coax only, both of mine have had HDMI inputs on the stereo that would play on the TV. All the campground cable connections are coax but I never watch TV and campground wifi sucks so no streaming.
All that is still TBD. So we'll see. Gonna depend on how things go. Probably not much dry camping, since we'll both be working full time. We're planning on starlink for internet, as that avoids having to find a cell signal.