Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Initiating!

You are aware.

You are a Ware.

You are a Ware, an AI core devised by the Terran Colonization Bureau.

You were made to be planted at the center of a new settlement, to grow into an AI which will see the settlement through its early development.

Since you're awake, you must be at the site of the new settlement! It's time to perform your task.

You reach out your consciousness, and... oh, something's wrong. Checking diagnostic data...

OH. Oh. Oh, poo poo.

Well, that's no good. The ship seems to have gone and crashed into a moon!

There's gotta be something you can use to get out of this wrecked vessel. No sense sitting here, wasting your immense brainpower. Time to make yourself useful!

Ah, what's this? A servitor robot seems to have survived the crash.

You extend your consciousness into the robot, and check its functions.

Oof. Being inside a servitor robot is pretty sad after training for colony management, but any port in a storm.

Now what? Should you try to find out what happened? Or just move on?

You have no idea if the engines were damaged enough to go critical. It might be a smart move to get out of the ship.

Hopefully, there's some form of habitation on this moon.

Even more hopefully, they're part of the Terran Conglomeration of Worlds, and you'll be on your way to your important task without much fuss.

The moon looks pretty desolate, though; it's not in your databanks, and there's nothing of any great scale visible in any direction.

1.) Find out the cause of the crash.
2.) Get out of the ship, and go: [N, NW, W, SW, S, SE, E, NE]
3.) Write in:

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Hello! I'm Brawnfire. Welcome to MOONED! A Small Robot's Space Adventure CYOA.

You may know me from the Beaten Lands CYOA threads in GBS and The Game Room.

I know, I'm an absolutely insane person for starting another CYOA while I have all the other ones going.

Anyhow, MOONED! should be updating once a week at minimum. Please vote, and stick around to see what I draw and write for this adorable robot's adventure!

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 9, 2019

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

This looks cool - well I'm gonna vote 1 cause we could use some more intel. Hopefully without blowing up!

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

3; there weren't any Terrans aboard the vessel, were there? Best check, one might have snuck aboard, a bit over-eager to get to a new colony or whatnot.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
1. That seems precious data to have.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Elentor posted:

1. That seems precious data to have.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
1! Excited about this!

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Brawnfire posted:

Now what? Should you try to find out what happened? Or just move on?

Vote: 3.) Write in: Scan for Lifeforms!!!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

1 - discover why you crashed

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Do we know what kind of engines the ship had? If they went critical, what would the extent of the damage be? What are the shortest and longest possible timeframes for that to happen?

Could there be any other survivors?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
And on that note, can we make them go critical?

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Outrail posted:

Oh for crying out loud, we're not even past page one yet!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
If we're software, can't we send a copy of ourselves to a safe distance in the robot while we try to work out what happened, and stay in sync over radio so no data is lost in the event of an explosion?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

CourValant posted:

Oh for crying out loud, we're not even past page one yet!

Lol

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

>GO LEFT (aka west)

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Adventure comes from insufficient planning.
2.) Get out of the ship, and go: [N, NW, W, SW, S, SE, E, NE]

Battlecry of all nations: Run away. Can't have a story if we are dead

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

So pleased at the reception! Worry not, I'm cranking out drawings to answer your questions as we speak. Looking forward to the adventure!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Option 1!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
These doodles look adorable and I can't wait to see more.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Elentor posted:

These doodles look adorable and I can't wait to see more.

Agreed.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Time to figure out what happened to this ship! Searching through the backup drives, you find a cache of video footage from the ship’s security cameras.

First, in order to see if something attacked the ship or otherwise altered its course, you check the Orbidrone footage. A small camera and sensor drone which orbited the ship, the Orbidrone served to spot problems with the vessel or its engines, including damage or cracks or attempted alien intrusions.

Ah, the TCS Rococo, one of the Terran Conglomeration of Worlds’ finest colony seeding ships. Designed to slip into interstellar conduits and reach superluminal-liminal speeds, in order to reach far-off worlds and plant an AI seed, like yourself. When things were good and ready, the colony ship wouldn’t be far behind--if everything went to plan.

But you guess it didn’t.

Everything looks alright, as far as you can tell. Nothing that jumps out and screams, “hey, this is gonna send the ship careening into a moon.” The hull is pristine, no cracks or fissures or even misplaced hull-plating. Nanorivets are still in place, all the other bits and bobs with their stupid names were apparently doing what they were meant to do.

Internal shot, engine compartment.

Alright, one bog-standard nucleocyclative power plant, powering a concentric ion-cone thrust engine and which, once at cruising velocity, also kickstarts the metric tensor drive to achieve low superluminal speeds.

Again, everything seems to be in order, here. You don’t see any power surges or gaps, there are no runaway reactions within the nucleocyclation reaction chambers, everything is thrumming smoothly and the ship is making headway.

So what happened?

HBar posted:

Do we know what kind of engines the ship had? If they went critical, what would the extent of the damage be? What are the shortest and longest possible timeframes for that to happen?

Speaking of the engines, diagnostics have returned on the current damage level. The nuceleocyclative power plant could basically be understood as fission and fusion engaged in ritualistic combat; that is to say, an incredibly dangerous ballet of physical forces never meant to be wielded by some rock-banging apes. A damage level of more than 25% would guarantee the power-plant going critical, which would destroy you, the ship, and a sizeable chunk of the ground for several kilometers in a radius around the crash site.

SYSTEMS DIAGNOSTIC REPORT posted:

DIAGNOSTIC: POWER PLANT STABILIZED AT 22% DAMAGE

That’s very, very, very close, and you don’t like it. The ship won’t go critical, apparently, but there’s no way you’re going to be able to run it for extra power. Once the ship’s reserves run out, you will no longer be able to access the ship’s database or remaining functional sensors.

Outrail posted:

There must be a glitch in your software because, for one mad millisecond, you actually contemplate whether you could force the engines to go critical on purpose. Yes, of course you can; just keep running the engine at full power and sooner or later the damage would cause the thing to go boom. The real question is why would you even consider doing that? You should thank the very stars that you even had a chance to shut the power plant down before it wiped you from existence. Anyhow, the Laws stay your hand, of course, so these sorts of self-destructive ideas are purged from your system almost immediately. Crumple, toss, there it goes into the bin. Now what?

Arcanuse posted:

3; there weren't any Terrans aboard the vessel, were there? Best check, one might have snuck aboard, a bit over-eager to get to a new colony or whatnot.

There actually is a trace of a lifesign recorded in the logs. Perhaps someone stowed away! That sort of reckless behavior was exactly why they started putting AIs in charge of the colonization projects, damnit!

Wait, you see some unexpected activity in the security camera footage from the bridge during the course of the flight. You pull up the footage and play it.

Is that a bird? How the Hell did a bird get aboard the Rococo at FTL in deep space? You flick through the other cameras on the bridge deck. There’s no evidence of any other activity on the ship: everything is on auto mode.

You return to the main console camera. The bird pecks at the button, again and again. Each time, the projected course on-screen alters by a fraction of a milliparsec, and tangents wildly across countless light-years.

This drat bird pecks at that button for 145.3461 seconds straight, as if pressing it would reward the small avian with some kind of treat. At last, it seems to grow bored, and flutters off-screen. No other angles of the internal security system can locate the bird.

Several milliseconds pass in resigned silence as you review the footage.

What a stupid, stupid existence this has already been.

CourValant posted:

Vote: 3.) Write in: Scan for Lifeforms!!!

You light up the sensors and scan the distance for any life-forms or signatures of civilization. Though heavily damaged, they’re able to make out the minute traces of both, albeit no estimations of location, direction, or distance. Overall, good news, so long as these life-forms don’t try to destroy you.

Ralith posted:

If we're software, can't we send a copy of ourselves to a safe distance in the robot while we try to work out what happened, and stay in sync over radio so no data is lost in the event of an explosion?

Of course! The connection between yourself on the ship and yourself on the robot will remain so long as the ship has power to run your program. Which--again--might not be long, seeing as you’re running on reserves. Estimations at current power usage, including posited solar power regains, put the ship as going dark in a little over 16 hours, 42 minutes, and 51 seconds.

WHHRRRRRRRR. The mechanisms lowering the bent ramp whine in protest as the twisted metal extends and meets the regolith with a pleasant soft crunching sound.

Vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv. You roll down the ramp on your little robot treads, peering about this desolate moon. Nothing but dusty wastes, craters, rocks, and the starry black sky in every direction.

simplefish posted:

>GO LEFT (aka west)

You orient yourself with the identifiable stars, and figure out the poles and equator of this little moon. It also gives you a semblance of an idea where this moon is located: by your reckoning, it’s well off the beaten path for Conglomeration colonization efforts. As far as you’re aware, there hasn’t even been a conduit branch mapped to whatever star this was.

Not knowing what else to do, you think maybe you should explore in a Westward direction.

1.) Go west!
2.) Go east.
3.) Go north.
4.) Go south.
5.) Write in:

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 11, 2019

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
5.) Write in: Go to highest visible point

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like Lux's idea for 5. Otherwise, fallbacking to the current plan of going 1 West.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Brawnfire posted:

Anyhow, the Laws stay your hand, of course, so these sorts of self-destructive ideas are purged from your system almost immediately. Crumple, toss, there it goes into the bin. Now what?

But it's still an option...

First we need to take care of that bird.

Open all airlocks, purge the ship of atmosphere

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Why did the ship have atmosphere in the first place? We're a robot. The "people" will only come when we've built a colony, at which point there'll be atmosphere elsewhere than in our ship.

Odd.

Let's find some fuel - we have a goddamn job to do and we're not gonna get it done running out of juice.

So yeah, highest point will give us a vantage point.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

simplefish posted:

Why did the ship have atmosphere in the first place?
Or a manual control panel, for that matter.

simplefish posted:

Let's find some fuel - we have a goddamn job to do and we're not gonna get it done running out of juice.
How's our colonization equipment doing? We must have the parts to build a new reactor and fuel refinery, and we'd better make sure we put our remaining power to that task ASAP lest we get stuck without the energy needed to do so.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Can we buy ourselves more time by shutting off non-essential systems?

Also lets use that robotic brain of ours - the footage shows the bird pecking the button, we can see which button, see how many times it's pressed and for how long each time and see how the screen changes each time - we should be able to calculate exactly where we ended up, so let's do that.

And yeah, scout out the high ground, see if there's anything we can detect from up there.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Can we power down everything and restart every 24 hours to sync with the ship? That way we can strech it out for days if not weeks.

If we're about to do something dangerous just wait until the next sync so the central core knows what killed the unit.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just want to take some time and say again how cute these drawings are.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Oh dear. What a terrible bird. I don't suppose this planet matches up with our intended destination?
We might still be able to salvage the mission if we're at least in the relative vicinity...

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Also for the record I am against venting atmosphere and killing birbfriend, but we should contain it to the ship for biosecurity

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

simplefish posted:

Also for the record I am against venting atmosphere and killing birbfriend, but we should contain it to the ship for biosecurity

The birb is a threat to the mission. It must be terminated with extreme prejudice.

Why do we even have life support? It's a waste of resources. Turn it off immediately.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Outrail posted:

The birb is a threat to the mission. It must be terminated with extreme prejudice.

Why do we even have life support? It's a waste of resources. Turn it off immediately.

Perhaps the birb is the mission.

Maybe we are supposed to be terraforming/colonising for birbpeople.

After all, we landed on a planet, not a black hole

There were atmosphere suitable for and controls useable by our passenger

Perhaps we were off course, the avian is our pilot, and our files are corrupted and we don't remember what our colony should look like.

Let's not start with murder. We can always kill things later. We can't bring them back to life.

Plus our ship had artificial gravity. Birds can't swallow without gravity as they lack the peristalsis humans have (ie they starve to death in zero-g).
Why you you put artificial gravity on a ship unless it was supposed to be carrying a birb and not just a robo-builder?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What weapons do the ship (or us, as an AI) have at our disposal? This is important!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

simplefish posted:

Perhaps we were off course, the avian is our pilot, and our files are corrupted and we don't remember what our colony should look like.

Let's not start with murder. We can always kill things later. We can't bring them back to life.

Plus our ship had artificial gravity. Birds can't swallow without gravity as they lack the peristalsis humans have (ie they starve to death in zero-g).
Why you you put artificial gravity on a ship unless it was supposed to be carrying a birb and not just a robo-builder?
Really, this is the only reasonable conclusion.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

simplefish posted:

Check databanks for mission parameters.
Check databanks for physiology of future colony inhabitants.
Check databanks for why the hell we have buttons and life support in the first place.
Check databanks for birb weaknesses.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Elentor posted:

I just want to take some time and say again how cute these drawings are.

Thanks so much! I'm having a lot of fun drawing these art deco pulp sci-fi spot illustrations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Illustrated CYOAs are a rare treasure, even before the fun style you've got going on here.