Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
Dont like half of all browsers use chromium now? I know edge just switched to it.

Seems like you're doomed to be under google

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Drink-Mix Man posted:

So how to regular people who don't know what scriptblockers and adblockers are even put up with the internet these days?

they use the mobile apps that track your interaction and usage much better

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

shut up blegum posted:

Why is every web browser a steaming pile of crap?? :bahgawd:
Slow as heck, needing to download a ton of plugins to get poo poo to work, stealing all your precious data, sounding alarms every 4 minutes etc.

I just want a simple way to look at stupid stuff on the internet. Nerd goons, help me out here!

And also talk about your cool browser stories itt (in this thread)!!

What loving sites are you visiting?? Yikes

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Drink-Mix Man posted:

So how to regular people who don't know what scriptblockers and adblockers are even put up with the internet these days?

I don't even know. I don't get how people put up with commercial TV, but then again I don't even own a TV. :smug:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SO DEMANDING posted:

Every web browser sucks in one way or another so you have to find the one which sucks the least for you

Try out Vivaldi, it's made by the original opera crew. It's not quite the same but gets a lot of things right.
i also use vivaldi because i am a nerd

i like it though

Chiffy
Jun 23, 2003

growf
i have no opinion on this topic. thank you

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i also use vivaldi because i am a nerd

i like it though

I just had to go through a minor hassle to update Vivaldi, but it is a perfectly decent browser.

All this browser chat inspired me to install yet another one - Falkon, formerly known as Qupzilla.

A couple days ago I installed the Linux desktop version of Firefox on my Chromebook, so maybe I was prescient about this thread.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Just take a look at the best browser ever created. Sleek web 2.0 graphics for all your important poo poo, including a large icon at the top for "Money". I'd be clicking that button all day. Built-in media player so you can play all your pirated Napster .mp3s.

This pic annoys the hell out of me, not because of the browser, but because Paint Shop Pro is supposedly the application with focus. It's from early May 2001, if anyone else was trying to date it.

I haven't used Edge or whatever but it's about to use Chromium anyway so it doesn't seem like it'd even be worth checking out. Chrome sucks (thanks, software_reporter_tool.exe for constantly data mining my storage) and I wouldn't even have it installed if I didn't need it to stream to a Chromecast in another room. I like Firefox but the occasional website is broken while using it so I find myself using lovely Chrome more often. Mozilla also released a Firefox patch recently that temporarily disabled addons and I had to look at the internet with ads for the first time in at least a decade. IMO browsers are ok it is lovely website development. Anyone who decided that a tablet resolution in portrait orientation should be the gold standard for websites should be shamed for eternity. Autoplaying videos no one ever wanted that tuck themselves into a corner of the screen when you scroll away from it followed by big banners blocking 1/3 of the page stating "please give us money. it's really expensive to send senior reporters around the world on a weekly basis only to turn around and use the Reuters or AP copy in place of an original article."

Welcome to Restaurant's Website. Wanna look at our menu? Great news. We have 130 different items available but we're only gonna put four on screen at a time without any prices. The website hasn't been updated in five years so be sure to check out our Facebook page. If you're lucky another patron will have uploaded a potato quality picture of the menu oriented 90 degrees off in either direction.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

advanced statsman posted:

only browse the internet through site specific apps on the iphone like most people nowadays

Cool thing about those apps is that they almost invariably are just a browser and 50 stacked javascript frameworks that are set to just load one page, which is why they are both slow and ridiculously huge for the little they actually do.

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017
Just install Pihole you dork

https://pi-hole.net

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
op have you considered that maybe your 9 year old iMac is due for an upgrade?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

b mad at me posted:

Just install Pihole you dork

https://pi-hole.net
interesting recommend fellow goonsir

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Ultra Carp

Nastyman posted:

Me, gazing into the giant pile of dinosaur poo poo from Jurassic Park: these binoculars loving suck

:hmmyes:

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

interesting recommend fellow goonsir

Jolly good! I guarantee your browsing will be advertisement-free afterward.

Please note that this guarantee does not hold after unforseen events, such as nuclear war.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

email posted:

I like safari

Given its colonial implications as well as modrn use by white supremacists I think Safari's name and thus the browser itself is extremely problematic

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Stevie Lee posted:

they use the mobile apps that track your interaction and usage much better

Most mobile apps will send home screenshots of your screen lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

JK Fresco posted:

Most mobile apps will send home screenshots of your screen lol